• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Designs From Pop Culture

Dewgong Reign

Strange is Relative
Reaction score
Most Pokemon are either based off of animals, plants, mythological beings or insentinent objects. But every so often you notice Pokemon designs that seem to draw inspiration from other fictional creatures. A few days ago, I noticed the similarities between Victini and Miyazaki's "fox-squirrels":

210px-Victini.png

Nausicaa's pet fox-squirrel, Teto
Teto___Nausicaa_by_wytwolf.png

tetonausicaa01.jpg

^Notice the two pointy teeth

Here's a group of fox-squirrel kits under the protection of the robot in Laputa's garden:
robot_with_fox-squirrels.jpg

So, noticed any similarities like this? Post them here!

(I had a few more Miyazaki correspondences, but I'll have to add those later- I had to punch in those image URLs by hand with the Wiimote, on Opera's on-screen keyboard...)

Last edited:
Wow those pictures of Nausicaa and Laputa bring back such wonderful memories.

I wouldn't peg Victini as being inspired by the foxsquirrels, consciously or otherwise, but yes I can definitely see the resemblance.

I don't know about pokemon inspired by other story creatures, but there's certainly contemporary culture inspired pokemon. Jynx, for example, she's based off the Ganguro style of fashion that was popular in Japan in the 90s'. Scraggy's basically a lowrider pokemon, and I don't even need to explain Gothita! Also, while it never made it past design, there was originally going to be a Pokemon based on Dolly the cloned Sheep! http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Unused_Pokémon_design_revealed_in_magazine_interview

I think that Sawk and Throh are somewhat based off Ernie and Bert due to the fact that they just look so much alike.

Also the Gothita line is based off the gothic lolita fashion I think.

I dunno. I'd have thought the first monster to come to mind in comparrison to those fox-squirrels would have been Eevee.

Anywho.
Back when the 'mons were slowly being revealed, I remember being the first to point out that Purrloin's design is heavily influenced by the character Doronjo, from the classic anime series Yatterman.
66-purrloin.jpg
1e5c01186a50059a0ab9d7adabf4c3b8.jpg
It's much easier to see when the poke is standing on it's hind legs. It's head is shaped like her mask, and it's body markings resemble parts of her outfit.

Jynx is supposedly based off Ganguro girls and the general Ganguro fashion; with the darker skin tone, bright clothes and bleach-blonde hair.

ganguro-girl-phone.jpg

You see? Scary as Jynx.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom