• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Diamond and Pearl - NintendoWiFi Support? CoroCoro Contest?!

Sunain

Inactive Account
Reaction score
Even though details about Pokemon Pearl and Diamond have yet to be released, I find myself wondering if these games will support NintendoWiFi. With the anticipated launch of Mario Kart DS, it just shows how many people want Nintendo games to be online. Pokemon would be an excellent addition to the NintendoWiFi community and they would be crazy not to add some kind of functionality to the upcoming games. I think its almost a requirement now as I am expecting some kind of Internet support and will be let down if none is included.

CoroCoro Contest: A special ticket will be attached to one copy of the January issue of Japanese magazine CoroCoro, the holder of which will be be given the privilege of receiving copies of Pokémon Diamond and Pearl upon their release date, as well as proposing his ideas for the two upcoming games.

The January issue of CoroCoro will be published on Dec. 15, 2005.
With the announcement of this contest, it only made sense to bump this thread.

http://www.nintendowifi.com/ -- Seems to have stats logging, so this could be greatly expanded for a Pokemon game.

Some of the features I would like to see in Pokemon Pearl and Diamond if NintendoWifi support is included are:

- Porygon and Porgyon2 (perhaps even Porgyon3?) are only available to trade or capture via NintendoWifi (Internet).
- Ability to create custom online leagues, IE, the Bulbagarden League. People could register for your league and then have a schedule where people are to battle at a designated date and time till an eventual winner is crowned.
- Make Pokemon leveling up harder so that everyone doesnt have level 100 Pokemon when Battling online. (Introduce Battle Leagues with level caps similar to Pokemon Stadium.)
- MMORPG elements, people could enter the world and all the characters in it are real people and you could battle people.
- Some kind of ladder system. MyNintendo logs Wins/Losses against real people.
- Trade Pokemon with people from around the world.
- Use MyNintendo account to let people see your current Pokemon lineup

These are just some of the features I would like to see. What would you guys like to see in a Pokemon Online game?

What features would you ask Nintendo/Game Freak to incorporate in the latest Pokemon game?

Last edited:
I don't think it will be an issue. Nintendo would be stupid not to have WiFi support with Pokemon.

Nintendo would be stupid not to have WiFi support with Pokemon.

You say that as if Nintendo has never made a frighteningly stupid decision... (hay guys let's go with cartridges in the N64, everyone loves them!)

MMORPG elements? Not gonna happen. Custom leagues? Highly doubtful.

I'm pretty sure that some of the other things that you've mentioned are feasible and quite likely to be included.

However, there will be "16-player" support through "Wi-Fi". I'm guessing that this will be used to create tournaments with a max of 16 contestants via ad-hoc and access point networks.

Why not, Animal Crossing DS is suppost to have mmorpg elements, not a full fledged MMORPG.

This is a great idea and if D/P is not Wi-Fi then I will be really disappointed... I like Sunain's idea about Porygon, and maybe we could see new 4th generation, or other legendariy Pokemon only available through Wi-Fi. (ex.. win 30 net-battles, get a chance for Entei, win 60, get a chance for Suicune, and etc...) I guess we'll just have to wait for more news to emerge, but I'm assuming that D/P will be Wi-Fi - as it will attract people who have lost intrest in Pokemon back into the game.

Bleh...I'm not to thrilled. There is already NetBattle, and that thought on Wi-Fi is not a good one. People would disconnect once they learn they can't win, and if you're not up to par with everyone and there Pokemon, you're dead. I dunno...I'll have to see what happens, but I personally do not like the idea.

Why is everyone complaining? Let's face it, if D/P have WiFi support (which I am sure they will), Pokemon fans will never be bored again.

What they give us will have to be good, though. Otherwise, we will get bored of it.

Sunain said:
Why not, Animal Crossing DS is suppost to have mmorpg elements, not a full fledged MMORPG.
Animal Crossing is not "Massively Multiplayer", nor is it an "RPG". :p All you do there is invite a couple friends to walk around in your town or whatever. It's merely an interactive lobby.

The developers of Pokemon games have always kept their games simple, and without any cutting-edge technologies, for the most part. I think that it is a lot more realistic to assume that D/P will be nothing more than a game with "standard" multiplayer support, ie. A lobby system where you meet people, invite people you want to play with to a room you host, and battle there. I think that the most we can expect above that are extra battle modes and minigames that will be playable via multiplayer, ie. Berry mixing and contests (whatever they're called).

-Bayleef- said:
Bleh...I'm not to thrilled. There is already NetBattle, and that thought on Wi-Fi is not a good one. People would disconnect once they learn they can't win, and if you're not up to par with everyone and there Pokemon, you're dead. I dunno...I'll have to see what happens, but I personally do not like the idea.
You need to re-evaluate your logic. The same applies to any online game. You pick opponents who are of similar skill level. As for disconnecting, that can happen in any game, and in fact, with standard link-cable battling as well. For the record, I'm not a fan of NetBattle, and in fact, do not trust it.

The problem with NetBattle is that no training is required. People can manipulate stats to make the most powerful possible combinations.

Exactly. The has to be a way to remove the tedium of leveling, so that you can focus on the story.

Perhaps scrapping levels totally, and totally revising the battle system to be more strategic, rather than the system now, which encourages people to find the "best" teams and makes for a very dull metagame?

Yeah, like that'll happen...

Archaic said:
Exactly. The has to be a way to remove the tedium of leveling, so that you can focus on the story.

Perhaps scrapping levels totally, and totally revising the battle system to be more strategic, rather than the system now, which encourages people to find the "best" teams and makes for a very dull metagame?

Yeah, like that'll happen...

lol Isn't that like RPG blasphemy? Why don't we throw out HP while we're at it? XD

Anyway,if D/P goes online having some MMORPG 'elements' definitely wouldn't hurt the game.

If D/P does go online it's obviously going to have a huge online community.That means things might be a little dull if everyones character looks the same.We'd just have a bunch of 'Brendan and May clones' trading and battling with each other.So a create-a-character option would be a nice feature to add to the gameplay.Nothing that's super customizable,but just enough so that everybody doesn't look the same.Hey,it worked for FFXI right?

I'd also love if they included every known region into the game (along with the new region),so that players could choose their starting point.That way,every player could belong to a different region.It could also determine which Pokemon you have the earliest access to depending on which region you start from.Seems likes a good idea since they're going to have to divide up 500+ Pokemon in this generation.

I just want some official info on the games PERIOD sometime within the next two months. : /

Nomekop Oen said:
And since when the hell has leveling up in ANY RPG been tons of fun? =/
You didn't play enough RPGs. Levelling in Ys I & II Complete is a blast. :D Too bad the two games are short themselves. Grandia II also has an awesome battle system. The problem with the Pokemon battle system is that it is too repetitive. e_e

Nomekop Oen said:
Anyway,if D/P goes online having some MMORPG 'elements' definitely wouldn't hurt the game.

If D/P does go online it's obviously going to have a huge online community.That means things might be a little dull if everyones character looks the same.We'd just have a bunch of 'Brendan and May clones' trading and battling with each other.So a create-a-character option would be a nice feature to add to the gameplay.Nothing that's super customizable,but just enough so that everybody doesn't look the same.Hey,it worked for FFXI right?
I'd like to point out, again, that this won't happen. It's just not practical in comparison to how Pokemon games were made before. Don't give the kids high hopes. :p However, I see no problem with a customizeable in-game avatar, and do think that it would be a nice addition.

I saw a commercial for Mario Kart DS a while ago and I saw the thing about Wi-Fi support and I was like "Oh my gosh, it's happening. o.o". Anyway, yeah, I don't expect anything too big to happen, but if I still say I'm going to flip out if anyone finds me and challenges me.

Please note: The thread is from 18 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom