• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Diamond and Pearl - NintendoWiFi Support? CoroCoro Contest?!

Kadabra said:
You didn't play enough RPGs. Levelling in Ys I & II Complete is a blast. :D Too bad the two games are short themselves.

So that's like what,*2* RPGs? Out of what? Hundreds? Thousands? =/ IMO,leveling up is always a chore in most RPGs unless your gaining experience when your beating some sort of boss.

If we want to talk about tedium,nothing gets any duller than EV training. ><; There's just got to be a better way to fine tune your Pokemon in D/P.Cause having to KO about a 100 Zigzagoons to raise Speed just isn't cutting it.I know vitamins,macho brace,and Pokerus are there to help,but they should tweak it a little so that you dont have to spend that much money or be lucky enough to get infected with PKRS to properly raise your Pokemon.

That,and they should make all hidden values in the game viewable.Finding out what your Pokemon's IVs are can be a bit of a hassle.Especially since most of the time you try to determine IVs of Pokemon you've just bred.And usually you're dealing with multiple offspring.You should just be able to see IVs right away so that you can determine which Pokemon are worth training.

Thankfully,Emerald has made breeding a bit easier since now you dont have to breed a crapload of Pokemon just to get the desired nature.

Kadabra said:
The problem with the Pokemon battle system is that it is too repetitive. e_e

Honestly,I'm fine with Pokemon's current battle system.But change is always welcome if it's all for the better.The question is,what can be added to the battle system without completely fudging it up?

3 on 3 battles? (i.e. 'Party System') :confused: I don't know....

Kadabra said:
I'd like to point out, again, that this won't happen. It's just not practical in comparison to how Pokemon games were made before. Don't give the kids high hopes. :p However, I see no problem with a customizeable in-game avatar, and do think that it would be a nice addition.

Well sure,it is one of those things that you'll find on some fans' wishlist for D/P.But hey,the DS does have online capabilities and I expect for the developer to take complete advantage of that.I mean,this *is* Pokemon we're talking about.The games have always had this social/multiplayer/communication aspect to them.Features like those could only improve on the gameplay.

But don't worry,I don't really expect for any of those features to show up in D/P.I'm keeping my expectations nice and low so that I'll be pleasantly suprised with almost anything D/P has to offer. =/

The thing with hidden values is that Game Freak mean to keep them hidden. They don't ask you to kill 100 Zigzagoons, and most people won't even realise that this helps more than KOing higher level Pokémon. Revealing them would be a huge turn-off to most players.

Very interesting concepts you have come out with. Most would be very interesting to have. The downside to any online RPG has always been the leveling system. But without that disadvantage it wouldn't be an RPG, for the most part. I would like to see something like the online world aspect come to realality but i don't see that happening for a while in the pokemon world. Not for at least a few years, anyway.

I don't see how the current WiFi of the DS would allow for such a function, though. Only way i can see a game going mmorpg style would be release a game only for the P.C. and make it all "connecting to server" type thing. If they would do the PC thing i'm sure that the game would be much more interesting if it was an online only thing. I would pay for something like that... if it was like Ragnarok Online-ish...

IVs are supposed to be hidden, they are part of the mechanic that runs the game. If you're into figuring out how the numbers of the game work, then I hold nothing against you, but the rest of us don't care about that. I just want to play the game, stats never meant anything to me. Besides, I think Game Freak meant favorable stats to be an observable thing, even without knowing what the internal mechanism is. It's like trying to convince someone that Linux is better than a regular OS. It just isn't for everyone.

I don't think the leveling system needs tweaking, or the battle system, but I will agree that something needs to be done to make it more fun. I have no ideas on how to do this.

Sceptile726 said:
It's like trying to convince someone that Linux is better than a regular OS.

To bad linux is a better OS ;)

Sceptile726 said:
I don't think the leveling system needs tweaking, or the battle system, but I will agree that something needs to be done to make it more fun. I have no ideas on how to do this.

Thats totally controdictory... the leveling system is what makes it fun. Only other way to make it fun is add a better storyline. Like adding a rocket mode where you become a member of the rockets and take over the world or have several modes and or professions. Wouldn't it be fun if you would become a pokemon breeder or a pokemon resercher? Or even a gym leader(guess this goes along with the online aspect)?

Sceptile726 said:
I saw a commercial for Mario Kart DS a while ago and I saw the thing about Wi-Fi support and I was like "Oh my gosh, it's happening. o.o". Anyway, yeah, I don't expect anything too big to happen, but if I still say I'm going to flip out if anyone finds me and challenges me.

After a about 2 weeks of playing mario kart online with friends, I can say it definately changes the experience of the video game. I use IRC to talk with the friends I am racing so I can still communicate with them. Others I know also use skype while racing with friends. Pokemon could be very good online!

Archaic said:
Exactly. The has to be a way to remove the tedium of leveling, so that you can focus on the story.

Perhaps scrapping levels totally, and totally revising the battle system to be more strategic, rather than the system now, which encourages people to find the "best" teams and makes for a very dull metagame?

I don't think it needs THAT much of an overhall, perhaps just make it take longer to level up pokemon so that people online have different level Pokemon, so that if focuses more on strategy and picking appropriate pokemon. Battling people online with level 100 pokemon isnt my idea of fun.

The way I see it, levels for online D/P battling wouldn't be any more of an issue than they are now for standard link-up multiplayer. Some people will have level 100 Pokemon, some won't. If you can view teams before you challange them or know the player personally there shouldn't be any problem. Truthfully, I was never a big fan of battling random people anyways. The most use I ever got out of NetBattle was battling my friends or fellow forum members.

There's a good chance that some sort of WiFi Connection for D/P would have level regulations (ie. giving you the option of challenging people equal to level 50 or below verses only having the one search option). For all we know there could even be a system that seeks out a player's highest leveled Pokemon and matches you to them. Sounds a bit farfetched but it could happen.

Last edited:
Well, you could be put in a level band, making matches easy enough to find. If you are against a human with Pokémon at the same level, it will be a true test of skill.

I missed what Sunain said in the first post: (Introduce Battle Leagues with level caps similar to Pokemon Stadium.)

Similar to what I said, and a very good idea (unless the levels of your Pokemon were between two caps). In that case a level band would almost be better.

Another random thought: do you think they'd give you the option to set the level range for opponents and search that way?

Last edited:
Possibly. But if you are looking for opponents ,any levels below you for easiness, then obviously they would have the option to decline the challenge.

Linkachu said:
Another random thought: do you think they'd give you the option to set the level range for opponents and search that way?
Anyone play Halo 2 over X-Box Live? X-Box Live matches you up with people of the same skill level based on your stats (Kill to death ratio, awards, and other junk like that).

Then again, rarely do people on Pokemon forums play Halo... Except for me. D:

Swifty said:
Then again, rarely do people on Pokemon forums play Halo... Except for me. D:

That's because Halo sucks XD

While I do believe that the next set of games will have an online element (since, if nothing else, Pokemon has always emphasized multiplayer), you do have to realize that it'll have some limitations. In all the reviews of the online games that have been released so far, they all have the same complaint - the online aspect is fun, but it's extremely restrictive. While I expect Nintendo to have sorted out the "not being able to chat with users in-game to find out their friend code" or the "only two people in one building at any given time" or the "not penalizing players for leaving the game early" thing by the game's release date, I do expect there to be some aspects of the game that'll make fans go "why don't they let you do this?"

I think that we, as fans, are only setting ourselves up for disappointment if we're expecting a FFXI level of freedom.

They said the WiFi will be for up to 16 people

My assumption is that they will take the Union Room idea and simply turn it into an online lobby.

So, I expect we'll see the chat function retained as well.

Afterall, the Union Room idea was practically built with Online in mind, it's utility decreases greatly in FR/LG and Emerald by forcing you to be within talking distance of any other player.

I'd definitely imagine they'll simply work on that system, rather than building on Mario Kart's for example.

I do expect there to be some aspects of the game that'll make fans go "why don't they let you do this?"

I think that we, as fans, are only setting ourselves up for disappointment if we're expecting a FFXI level of freedom.

We do that with every game anyway. It's just not possible for the developers to include everything we'd want or expect. But FFXI freedom? pfft.

People want an MMORPG from Pokemon. It's not going to happen. Not with D/P at least. The only thing they'll do is expand the multiplayer to be online - that's it.

But really, that's all I'd want too. After waiting 3 1/2 years for a new set of Pokemon games I'd rather they just gave us the sequel to R/S than some reinvention that ultimately ruins what made Pokemon great in the first place.

Keep that for the spin-offs where it belongs.

Doctor Oak said:
They said the WiFi will be for up to 16 people.
Yes but what they didnt state is if that would be 16 people online Wifi or LAN wifi.

Doctor Oak said:
My assumption is that they will take the Union Room idea and simply turn it into an online lobby.
I agree there as well probably a pokecenter on the top screen with PictoChat like thing on the bottom screen.

Apparently now there's a confromation out there somewhere that there will be a Wi-Fi feature...? Not sure, I only really watch one source for pokemon updates.

Anyways, if it turns out stable and everything I think it'll be a great resource. Not only battling, but trading aswell; You technically could become a 'Breeder', in a way! Breeding pokemon with certain movesets, etc, and offering in exchange for a trade of another pokemon.
I think that moreso than putting a bunch of fancy features to the online aspect (although it seems like a perfect fit for the Pokemon series), I'd rather see more put into making the game more fun and challenging in general. Often I've wished there was a 'Hard mode' or something; better NPC AI, etc etc. More things to do after you've beat the game... and, of course, being able to visit multiple regions. Who knows, though; if they can manage to fit it all in there, then all the better!

Sunain said:
Yes but what they didnt state is if that would be 16 people online Wifi or LAN wifi.

I agree there as well probably a pokecenter on the top screen with PictoChat like thing on the bottom screen.
Actually, I think they did sort of state it was Nifi (lan)

Although they SAID wifi, they said they'd definately have the 16 player lobbies, after they said they were unsure about wifi capability.

This considered I would say its safe to assume its the nifi they are talking about.

T_T oh how I wish I was elligable and able to win this contest...

Best ever I say (and not because of the free copy of the games)

As for online... I thought it was pretty much confirmed true.

i'd like to see moves with more than one type. that would add a whole lot more strategy into the game. eg:Blaze Kick- Fire/Fighting, Sky Uppercut- Flying/Fighting, Muddy Water- Water/Ground, Eruption-Fire/Rock. The list is endless (figuritively speaking.)

Please note: The thread is from 18 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom