• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Direct (4th September)

Re: New Pokemon Direct coming tomorrow

I think this direct may be intended to serve as a final, condensed recap of everything that's been revealed so far, so casual fans will be able to catch up without searching through months of backlogs on a fan site. Some of the info we know has come from somewhat obscure sources, at least originally (like the infamous Oorotto seen for 2 seconds of a trailer), so you have to remember that Game Freak/Nintendo probably didn't anticipate their fans picking up on some of the things they did, which is why what's old news to us could be beneficial to someone else. However, I do think they'll announce at least something of substance, no matter how small. I'd love to see the method of transfer, but that doesn't seem a likely candidate for a promotional video. It's possible they may talk about Pokken, though-if I recall correctly, it hasn't been officially announced/promoted yet.

The thing is Nintendo directs aren't really geared toward the casual fans. They're intended for the hard core fan base that's foaming at the mouth for more info. Casual gamers don't go onto IGN or Kotaku, they find out about new games from either their friends or tv. Trailers are for casual fans. So I really don't see them just using this as a way to summarize for casuals as I can't see a casual fan ever sitting through a 30 minute web advertisement.

Exactly. Nintendo Directs aren't your "let's recap everything" type of videos, they're videos about new things. They're Nintendo's way of making game announcements and giving updates on upcoming games and features, so there is no way this one will simply be a repeat of old announcements.

Will be monitoring both this thread and it's counterpart elsewhere for meltdowns.

I think this direct may be intended to serve as a final, condensed recap of everything that's been revealed so far, so casual fans will be able to catch up without searching through months of backlogs on a fan site. Some of the info we know has come from somewhat obscure sources, at least originally (like the infamous Oorotto seen for 2 seconds of a trailer), so you have to remember that Game Freak/Nintendo probably didn't anticipate their fans picking up on some of the things they did, which is why what's old news to us could be beneficial to someone else. However, I do think they'll announce at least something of substance, no matter how small. I'd love to see the method of transfer, but that doesn't seem a likely candidate for a promotional video. It's possible they may talk about Pokken, though-if I recall correctly, it hasn't been officially announced/promoted yet.

The thing is Nintendo directs aren't really geared toward the casual fans. They're intended for the hard core fan base that's foaming at the mouth for more info. Casual gamers don't go onto IGN or Kotaku, they find out about new games from either their friends or tv. Trailers are for casual fans. So I really don't see them just using this as a way to summarize for casuals as I can't see a casual fan ever sitting through a 30 minute web advertisement.

Exactly. Nintendo Directs aren't your "let's recap everything" type of videos, they're videos about new things. They're Nintendo's way of making game announcements and giving updates on upcoming games and features, so there is no way this one will simply be a repeat of old announcements.

Well, that's not entirely true, they usually do have recap elements to them...the Wonderful 101 had a lot of that at first, but then had a lengthy segment at the end that was all new. I imagine Pokemon's got a bit more to talk about, and there's still questions lingering about certain elements, so it'll probably be a bit more interesting.

I hope we hear a bit more about customization. 8U I want to be 100% sure that I can go dark-skinned blonde.

I'm hoping they don't reveal any new Pokemon or the Starter evos. I know plenty of people here like to plan our their teams, but that just takes the fun out of it for me and you'll see all the new Mon and evolutions eventually anyways. But once something is spoiled, that's it. For once I'd like to have the mystery and excitement of going into a Gen with less knowledge about the Pokemon available, especially in regards to the Starters.

More information on Super Training would be cool, as well as maybe more Mega Evolutions (despite how little I like the concept, the Mon themselves are usually pretty cool) would be neat. Also, I disagree with people saying a confirmation of cross-Gen transfer isn't Direct-worthy; look at the droves of fans that were pissed with the whole Gen3 fiasco and how many more fans have joined the franchise since then. Considering just how many people want to be able to send their Gen4/5 Mon to XY, I would indeed consider that a big announcement.

I wonder if TMs will still work in XY like they did in Gen5. I really hope so, as it was much more convenient than how it used to be. Also maybe they'll change it to where you don't need the Move Deleter to get rid of HM moves and you can just override them like any other move (though I can understand a feature that would prevent a move from being forgotten if you need it for an area you're currently in, such as while Surfing or in a Cave that requires Strength or something). That, while doubtful, could be something that's touched on.

It'll be happening as soon as I have to wake up tomorrow, which should be cool. I'll probably check out what was revealed before I go to school. I just hope it isn't a rehash of things we already know though.

Story tidbits or new mega-evo's would be something I can dig.

I'm boarding the hype train. Choo Choo!

I'm guessing none of us knows how long this direct will be. Length will make all of the difference in terms of scope of revealed content.

I don't think it'll be as long as The Wonderful 101 direct, which iirc, was around 40 minutes.

I'm hoping for at least 10/15 minutes - a lot of info can be covered in that time.

Too bad I won't be able to see it in time; I'll still be sleeping at the time the Pokémon Direct airs. DX

I can catch it later. Fortunately I have only one class on Wednesday, and it's in the late afternoon. ;-)

I'm boarding the hype train. Choo Choo!

Everybody knows the whistle on the hype train doesn't go 'choo choo'. It goes 'w00t w00t!'

Last edited:

Well, that's not entirely true, they usually do have recap elements to them...the Wonderful 101 had a lot of that at first, but then had a lengthy segment at the end that was all new. I imagine Pokemon's got a bit more to talk about, and there's still questions lingering about certain elements, so it'll probably be a bit more interesting.

I'd say Womderful 101 is a different case. It's a brand new IP that even several hard core fans haven't been able to differentiate from Pikmin. Pokemon is very much established and the fans have been paying attention to most if not every detail. I have friends who haven't played since red and blue but once they heard fairy type and 3d battles they were paying attention to most new details.

I hope they reveal a Pokemon character to be in Smash, like the way they revealed Luigi.

Smash as in Smash Bros? In a Nintendo Direct maybe, but not in a Pokemon Direct.

I'm soooo excited for this! I'm definitely getting up way before I normally would for school just to watch this. X and Y can't be released soon enough!

Might I mention how I love this method of revealing a news date? The day before? That's a much better idea than having people on edge for days or weeks.

In how many hours will this air? :)

Good thing I live in the same time zone as Japan. 8PM is just perfect

Back
Top Bottom