• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Diseases

I don't really think it's something that needs to be implemented, especially not in a kids game. We've been without it for six generations so I don't think it's needed.

Maybe something that lowers attack etc and it can be cured by going to the Poke Centre.

That's... unnecessary. Last thing we need is some attempt to make the game "darker" by making Pokemon die from cancer or tuberculosis.

Well "Disease" is a very common status ailment in RPGs, if they ever felt like adding more statuses to the game for whatever reason then I'm pretty sure it'd be one of the most likely to be included. It's not exactly any "darker" than getting poisoned or badly burned.

Also there was that Miltank sidequest in GSC, so we know that illnesses that affect Pokemon exist. It's just a matter of whether expanding on something like that is necessary to the story and gameplay or not.

Well "Disease" is a very common status ailment in RPGs, if they ever felt like adding more statuses to the game for whatever reason then I'm pretty sure it'd be one of the most likely to be included. It's not exactly any "darker" than getting poisoned or badly burned.

Also there was that Miltank sidequest in GSC, so we know that illnesses that affect Pokemon exist. It's just a matter of whether expanding on something like that is necessary to the story and gameplay or not.

Since you give berries that give 10HP, it can be argued the "weak" is just a lack of HP and they're not in Pokeballs so can't get it to the Poke Centre and maybe they're too young to get there alone to get Joy.

Since you give berries that give 10HP, it can be argued the "weak" is just a lack of HP and they're not in Pokeballs so can't get it to the Poke Centre and maybe they're too young to get there alone to get Joy.

That seems like a stretch when they explicitly say that the Miltank is sick.

If they're going to implement diseases, I at least want shiny-bred Pokémon to be unhealthy and have a slew of genetic disorders, like white tigers in real-life.

Implementing diseases into Pokemon games just to make the story darker feels...superficial. There's a plethora of ways to bring drama and maturity to a story without chiming in something like an illness just for the hell of it. That said, if done correctly, I think it could turn out well.

Speaking of GSC, there's Amphy the sick Ampharos for whom Jasmine cares and makes her send you to Olivine to get the medicine.

There's also the group of Psyduck blocking the road in DPPt, suffering from "chronic headaches". Cynthia gives you medicine with exactly the same description as the one i just mentioned.

I think this is as severe as it should get, any disease would pull focus from the main evil-team-world-domination-or-whatever story.

There have already been plenty of dark moments in Pokémon. Lysandre tries to kill you/force immortality on you. Team Plasma wants to destroy the universe. Those are iffy for a kids game already- there's portably a reason the only disease in the game is beneficial.

Also, you could argue that temporary status ailments are the harshest Gamefreak is willing to go on this.

In any game that implements "disease" as a mechanic, it's basically a status condition that:
- Is possibly contagious
- Not as easily cured as standard ailments

The exact effects depend on how far the game wants to go in specifying what kind of disease. E.g. Elder Scrolls games have a lot, but they're all basically just stat impediments/debuffs that do not wear off over time (only when cured). In FF12, "Disease" blocked you from healing (by virtue of forcing your max HP to match your current HP at all times). The list goes on.

In the case of Pokemon specifically, if they existed it would probably be something that could ONLY be cured by a trip to a Pokemon Center (Full Heals wouldn't cure it). I'm not sure it's something the Pokemon game formula needs, really.

Team Plasma wants to destroy the universe.
You mean Galactic. Plasma just wanted to conquer Unova.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom