• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Driving Cars?

MetroLSD

Where Are My Donuts?
Reaction score
I was just wondering who was driving the moving truck the player's riding in at the beginning of Emerald there was no humans around except for the Vigoroth were they driving the truck?

That... actually raises a fairly valid point. I mean, they theoretically have the intelligence and the thumbs necessary to do so. So maybe they can drive. But then, some Pokémon are shown to be pretty big, so it may not have been them under the pretense that they simply wouldn't be able to fit in the driver's seat. Either way, my mind is blown.

Where did you think the Vigoroth/Machoke were riding? They couldn't all fit in the front seat. Obviously they were stored in Pokéballs on the belt of the person driving the truck. Why would the person need to bother to coming out of the truck anyway when they have Pokemon to do all the heavy lifting? Or maybe the mother was driving, didn't want to sit next to their child, so she put him/her with the furniture, and the Vigoroth were her husband's.

Where did you think the Vigoroth/Machoke were riding? They couldn't all fit in the front seat. Obviously they were stored in Pokéballs on the belt of the person driving the truck. Why would the person need to bother to coming out of the truck anyway when they have Pokemon to do all the heavy lifting? Or maybe the mother was driving, didn't want to sit next to their child, so she put him/her with the furniture, and the Vigoroth were her husband's.

Machoke is 4'11 and Vigoroth is 4'7 their only problem with a truck is trying to both use the pedals and see over the dash board at once.

Last edited:
I kinda wish the Taxis in Lumiose city had Pokemon as drivers, wouldn't that be an interesting site?

It's possible in theory, but I doubt they could do it; though they could handle the G-forces driving requires a lot of fine motor control, being cool under pressure, and quick decision making, which are skill associated with humans and therefore stuff I'm not sure they have.

I wouldn't be surprised if auto racing was a frowned-upon sport only enjoyed by MotorStorm-esque fringe adrenaline junkies(to the extent high end sports cars might not exist); it's pretty much the antithesis of Pokemon Battling, being kinda antisocial as it's more about how well you can handle cars rather than forming a bond, having an element of danger because of barely tolerable high speeds, and creating a general ruckus from loud engines and such.

Many Pokemon seem almost or more intelligent than the humans of the world (at least judging by the anime), and they can at least clearly take complex orders, so I wouldn't be surprised if some Pokemon are capable of driving. It's not like there's a lot of traffic in the Pokemon world except for coming in and out of Castelia City.

@Enzap;

What Pokemon do you think are capable of driving?

I think Pokemon that are described as being intelligent such as Alakazam would be. Maybe some other humanoid Pokemon such as Hitmonchan as well. The fact that Hitmonchan are almost never found in the wild also can imply that it is intelligent and prefers to live with humans.

I was on my commute home the other day and this crazy driver pulls out in front and slows down, I quickly hit the brake so I don't crash into him and then wait for an opening to overtake him, As I move to overtake him he speeds up so I can't. Eventually, after each of us have been struggling to get in front I signal him to pull over, he complies and we both pull over. I get out of my car and walk up to his window and yell: "What the hell are you doing you dick!?" He winds down his window sticks out his big ugly face and says:

KARP! KARP! MAGIKARP!

Last edited:
I always thought Pokemon were far more intelligent than animals in real life. Think about it: they can understand human speech (being able to understand complex battle commands in the anime) and can even be taught how to speak (Meowth is the perfect example, and he's self-taught!). Even then, despite most Pokemon being unable to speak, both trainer and Pokemon seem to know what the other is saying. Psychic Pokemon can communicate through telepathy.

In the anime, there are several moments where Pokemon show higher-than-normal intelligence. Most recently, a wild Scrafty actually kidnapped Iris' Axew and held it for ransom to get them to cooperate. I'm sure there are some Pokemon that, given the correct training, could reasonably operate a motor vehicle.

If they're around the average human adult height, I guess it wouldn't be too difficult for an intelligent pokemon to drive. For instance, Gallade is 160cm, so he could hold the steering wheel and press the brakes at the same time - and he's also part Psychic-type, so he's got the right physical figure and intellect for driving. (Though I doubt he'd drive when he could simply Teleport himself away).

Pokemon are animals... Even the ones that are smart enough to drive wouldn't have to, they can fly or teleport or whatever.

I imagine maybe only the more humanized Pokemon can? Maybe the ones with more Intellect.

...it's hard to picture a Pikachu driving.

Pikachu would be able to drive a very small cute kart like Baby Mario or Toadette lol.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom