• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Dub Edits Thread

I saw it attached to an episode late in the Orange Islands. They I never saw it again.

It's like the "You bet your sweet aspercream" line. Now it's "you bet if it's aspercream".

The Big Al said:
I think Brock keeps the violate line in School of Hard Knocks. I have it on tape from the second run through on Cartoon Network and he clearly says that.

They replaced the Muk line in the WB version of "What Kind of Pokemon are You" with the line about Dratini. CN still used the Muk line.

CN gets the international version of Pokemon (the one seen in the UK, Australia, Canada, etc.), not the Kids' WB! version. So any Kids' WB!-only edits (like the Muk line, Snap -> Todd, etc.) won't show up on Cartoon Network.

So if the Brock line from "School of Hard Knocks" was changed, it would only be changed for the Kids' WB! airing. Since the network doesn't play the episode anymore, it's really difficult to verify whether or not the edit I've heard took place actually happened.

nekusagi said:
What about Meowth's blastoff punchline about kissing their assets goodbye?

Blackjack Gabbiani said:
I don't think that ep's re-aired yet, so it wouldn't have been changed.

HAS it re-aired? If it has, feel free to correct me.

Episodes that haven't been rerun on Kids' WB!:

"That's Just Swellow"
"Pearls are a Spoink's Best Friend"
"Who's Flying Now?" (set to rerun on August 27th)
"Sky High Gym Battle!"
"Lights, Camerupt, Action!"
"Crazy as a Lunatone!"

I don't know which episode the assets line was in, but if it's in one of the episodes listed above, then we don't know if the line will get changed for future airings.

Dogasu said:
CN gets the international version of Pokemon (the one seen in the UK, Australia, Canada, etc.), not the Kids' WB! version. So any Kids' WB!-only edits (like the Muk line, Snap -> Todd, etc.) won't show up on Cartoon Network.

I don't know which episode the assets line was in, but if it's in one of the episodes listed above, then we don't know if the line will get changed for future airings.

Well, call me oblivious, but I haven't noticed any of those edits... hah. I'm pretty sure for the times it's been rerun (not recently), the "School of Hard Knocks" line wasn't changed. I wait for him to say it, I love that line. XD That's totally weird how the US has another version. And I agree about "wholesome domestic cartoons"; today's shows are pure slop, I think.

Kissing your assets goodbye? Another good line. But I don't remember what episode. I think it's in the beginning ones of Hoenn...

Hey, hey, here's another weird edit. In "The Bicker The Better", there's some sort of dodgy dialogue about Jessie's backside, and what James would say about it. XD Which I'm pretty sure I didn't pick up in the original...

fruitsmoothierevenge said:
Hey, hey, here's another weird edit. In "The Bicker The Better", there's some sort of dodgy dialogue about Jessie's backside, and what James would say about it. XD Which I'm pretty sure I didn't pick up in the original...

Jessie says something about saving James' backside, and James says his backside is fine. There's nothing dodgy there, unless you're really easily offended.

nekusagi-chan said:
Jessie says something about saving James' backside, and James says his backside is fine. There's nothing dodgy there, unless you're really easily offended.

Nah, it was something else, unless I twisted something way wrong. I wish I could remember if I taped it and brought it...

Dogasu said:

Wait, what is this about the Snap -> Todd edit? I mean, the international version is what they dub and sell to other countries, right? Because the character was called Todd here in Norway.

Adamant said:
Wait, what is this about the Snap -> Todd edit? I mean, the international version is what they dub and sell to other countries, right? Because the character was called Todd here in Norway.

You guys must get a translation of the American version, then. Weird.

By the way, here are some screens from "Cerulean Blues." Japanese version's on the left, English version's on the right.

tajirin_japanese.jpg
tajirin_english.jpg

Looks like even Tajirin is banned now.

It isn't Japanese at all.

This was a Pokemon Chronicles episode, so that pretty much assures that it would be an editing oddity anyway.

Dogasu said:

By the way, here are some screens from "Cerulean Blues." Japanese version's on the left, English version's on the right.

tajirin_japanese.jpg
tajirin_english.jpg

No, the sign is clearly a sign in Japanese. Even if the kanji at the front is fuzzy, you can still read the katakana at the end.
EDIT: The end katakana says "ku-ruwani", but I dunno what it means. Cool Wani? Might have something to do with Totodile (blanking on the name, but I know it begins with "wani".)

As for the Claydol picture, that's also Japanese. I'm sure that they kept it to make it look more exotic.

Last edited:
Dogasu said:

tajirin_japanese.jpg
tajirin_english.jpg

It looks like block Japanese more than the "Tajirian". Tajirian looks like a rectangle with sections cut out. Apparently it was too Japanese to leave in.

Please note: The thread is from 19 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom