• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Dub Edits Thread

The Big Al

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Instead of making a thread for each and every edit they make. This is a thread to piss and moan about any or all the edits made in the Pokemon series. You can also make predictions on future edits.

Anyway, enjoy the edit thread.

Me post first!!!! XD
Well I know people are gonna hate me but I actually want Harley's gender changed. But I didn't want Bishau's gender changed. Too bad.
But WHY ARBOK AND SEVIPER!? 4kids can made little Clair cry.

Bashou is my biggest gripe. With one little gender change (doubtless inspired at the last minute by the "Sponge Bob is teh gay" controversy) they shattered a great deal of my Algebra class fantasies sophomore year.

I don't understand what all the fuss is about for that one. It made no difference to the story whatsoever.

james with "next time lets steal mens clothes" was like incredibly OOC. since when has james disliked crossdressing? i think theyre just trying to avoid scandal over a crossdressing character

Blackjack Gabbiani said:
What about the "those men" line in the second part?

Yeah, this part leads me to believe that maybe, MAYBE Bashou's gender really wasn't changed...they just attempted to give him an androgynous voice and HORRIBLY, HORRIBLY failed.

Indeed. I await the voice of the androgynous Lila/Anabel. (Well, it's quite sure from the name that it is female... but I have collected one instance of Lila using boku)

I think Ketsuban told me that Yellow uses 'boku' when she's thinking, though.

Say, is this thread just for English edits? Because I'd be interested to know what edits are made in other languages.

They probably use the English dub as a baseline (except in the East Asia market, but not too sure if those are sanctioned) - so it'd probably be in addition to what the English dub already has.

As far as I know, the mexican dub, which is the one we see in Latin America, is based off the US dub. The only problem with it is that they usually change Team Rocket's motto to put in some jokes that only mexican people understand. >_>;

- In the first ep with both Team Aqua and Team Magma, they messed up the names of the Admins (Shelly becoming Isabelle, Tabitha becoming Harland). At least they got the names right the next ep those two showed up.
- Constant badge case edits
- The dolls in the 2nd Mauville ep being replaced by Ribbon Cases
- Editing out the dolls in that Secret Base ep (see the first one)
- Trainer's Choice, especially the Arbok evolving into Seviper screw up
- Giving the owner of the Banana Slakoth garden a fake and cheesy French accent (you'll see it in 2 weeks)

The thing that I don't like about the dub is that a lot of times 4Kids replace the original music with their music. I don't know why they do that but the dub music doesn't have the same feel as the original music.

I also didn't like the fact that Bashou was changed into a girl. They definitely shouldn't have done that. I think Harley also has a good chance of getting a gender change.

There was one dub music I liked better than the original, and that was the action theme from the third movie. That pounding theme with the trumpets--that was awesome. I can't even remember what the Japanese music sounded like, it just didn't stand out to me.

Does this thread also cover temporary edits like the original movie 7 airing? I remember there was a lot of confusion over that.

Personally, I don't think it should cover things like the video edits in Destiny Deoxys, since those weren't done by 4Kids.

Please note: The thread is from 19 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom