• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Dub Edits Thread

fruitsmoothierevenge said:
No, the sign is clearly a sign in Japanese.

As for the Claydol picture, that's also Japanese.

It's obvious that you don't study the language, because that is NOT Japanese at all.

The Big Al said:
It looks like block Japanese more than the "Tajirian". Tajirian looks like a rectangle with sections cut out. Apparently it was too Japanese to leave in.

Yet when I look at the picture that Blackjack Giabanni posted, I don't see very many letters that resemble rectangles with sections cut out.

It's a weird edit anyway, because it isn't Japanese or English text that's being painted over. I don't think 4Kids has ever had a problem with erasing text like that before.

Dogasu said:
Yet when I look at the picture that Blackjack Giabanni posted, I don't see very many letters that resemble rectangles with sections cut out.
*Looks closely* they kind of do but it's the first time we'll see Tajirian close up. It's usually very small or far off. They were able to get more fancy with it. However one thing that is true about all Tajirian is that all the text is in polygons. All the lines are straight.

I know that what was over the door wasn't Japanese as do most people here. However we're not the digital paint people at 4Kids.

Dogasu said:
It's obvious that you don't study the language, because that is NOT Japanese at all.

Actually, if you look closely at the last line on the Claydol page... it's deformed, but still legible katakana, and it starts to sound familiar after the first three characters...

イロハニホヘト、チリヌルヲ

iroha nihoheto, chirinuruwo... (iro-wa nioedo, chirinuru-o...)

OK, hopefully someone'll pick back up on this...

What are everyone's thoughts on random line changes? Like, adding jokes and things? Is it OK to stick in random information, or take it out, or do you prefer a re-wording of the original?

It depends on the original line. In the case of Team Rocket, their replaced dialogue is hilarious and fits them very well (with some rare exceptions like the one about stealing mens clothes).

I actually don't mind the added jokes, because sometimes they *can* be funny (I lauged at the Tears for Fears reference in "Hocus Pokemon" or the added innuendo in "Having a Wailord of a Time," to name two examples). I only mind when the line 4Kids uses replaces a line in the original Japanese version that actually has some impact on the story (which, in the case of Team Rocket, isn't all that often).

I'd have to agree. 4Kids tends to add hilarious American pop culture references. I think they give them to Team Rocket often because older fans like them. I for one loved when they did the whole Life cereal commercial parody. That was a riot. XD

I'm sure there are a billion, but I'm just waking up... name a few lines that the US version threw in that added unneccessary info. Other than implying Brock's mom was dead. -_-;

The added jokes I think, is what makes the show! My favorite would have to be the american version of Rocket Team Forever... he he he! Priceless!

Jessie says something about saving James' backside, and James says his backside is fine. There's nothing dodgy there, unless you're really easily offended.
You can easily take it the wrong way as it was something like "my backside is FINE no thanks to you" :p

Please note: The thread is from 19 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom