• Do you use Discord? Do you like catching Pokémon? Have you heard of Elaria? If you answered yes to the first two, you should give it a go! Professor Tilia is always looking for new people to help fill her Living Dex!

It just so happens she is hosting an event right now, where you could even get your own Pokémon form added into the game! Details can be found over in the Elaria discord server, right here
  • The Anime and Manga staff has posted a PSA regarding Go and how we'll handle future cases involving him from now onwards.

We strongly recommend checking out this thread.

Thank you in advance.
  • All content from the former Roleplaying Games forum has been merged into the Writers' Workshop forum. You can find more information in this thread.

We hope to see you roleplaying away soon!
  • What happened to the Pokemon GO section?

Hey all! We wanted to let everyone know that the Pokemon GO section has officially been merged into the Pokemon Video Games section. You can find more information in this thread.

• Hey everyone! The Writer's Workshop is hosting an exciting event, Trainers of Fanfiction! It's a community event focused around your characters!

Pokemon DVR Ratings Thread

Reaction score
With the Pokémon anime going on hiatus, I believe this is a good time to look at Pokémon's DVR viewership ratings and get a feeling as to the reception of the Japanese audience towards the new series.

インターネットTVガイド

First of all, you might be wondering what DVR is, and why should we be using this thing.

Well, DVR stands for Digital Video Recorder; and as the name implies, this electronic device is used to record TV shows.
However, since this is done digitally, this means data regarding viewership can still be obtained.
What's better is since these are recordings, that means the timeslot of the show has little bearing on the viewership rating; as long as you watched the show within the week, your view would still be counted as part of the rating.
(Actually, you might not even be constrained to the week of airing; as the rankings are usually published with a delay of around 2 weeks, that might mean they are waiting to get most of the views for episodes of that week before compiling the data)
This is great news for us, since the new timeslot of the Pokémon anime means it is now competing with Chibi Maruko-Chan and Sazae-San, and thus it has very little chance of appearing within the top 10 of Video Research Ltd's viewership rating, meaning we get absolutely zero data.

In addition, the way DVR presents viewership data is also pretty interesting.
Rather than giving viewership ratings as a percentage of Japanese demographics, they give viewership ratings as a percentage of the most popular show of the category.
For example, a show in first place would always get 100 pts; let's say a show in second place gets 80 pts, that means that show in second place has gotten 80% the amount of viewers that the show in first place has gotten.
That means under this metric, while we aren't getting direct data, we can still get an idea of the relative popularity of shows compared to first place.

I'm probably missing some stuff in my explanation, but this is basically the gist of it.

Now, please don't come in here and tell me that viewership ratings do not matter because the Pokémon anime would keep airing regardless, that's not the point of this thread.
I'm just trying to get a sense of how the Japanese audience is receiving the new series, and a quantitative method seems like a perfectly reasonable way to do things.

Now that everything is out of the way, let's look at some ratings, shall we?
Just for fun, I'll also be doing a side-by-side comparison of Pokémon (2019) to Pokémon SM.
(I want to do a comparison for the XY series as well, but sadly we do not have data going that far back.)

Pokémon (2019) DVR RatingsPokémon (2019) DVR Ranking
Episode 001N/AN/A
Episode 00270.44
Episode 00364.75
Episode 00463.85
Episode 00559.14
Episode 00666.24
Episode 00760.54
Episode 00863.14
Episode 00953.95
Episode 01067.84
Episode 01174.54
Episode 01264.94
Episode 01354.85
Episode 01467.14
Episode 01564.74
Episode 01666.34
Episode 01759.04
Episode 01859.04
Episode 01955.74
Episode 02063.34
Episode 02163.04
Episode 02260.64

Pokémon Sun & Moon DVR RatingsPokémon Sun & Moon DVR Ranking
Episode 001N/AN/A
Episode 002N/AN/A
Episode 00341.46
Episode 00441.46
Episode 00554.04
Episode 00646.36
Episode 00737.48
Episode 00866.93
Episode 00973.15
Episode 01038.28
Episode 01148.45
Episode 01242.55
Episode 01340.37
Episode 01445.97
Episode 01543.15
Episode 01635.46
Episode 01765.63
Episode 01839.37
Episode 01968.45
Episode 02035.16
Episode 02135.16
Episode 02238.59

Once Pokémon returns from its hiatus, I will continue the comparison.

Finally with a Pokémon avatar
Reaction score
So if I'm reading this correctly it's generally doing better than Sun and Moon but it's peaks aren't as high?

It seems to be consistently rank 4 or 5, while Sun Moon varies from 9 to 3.

Reaction score
So if I'm reading this correctly it's generally doing better than Sun and Moon but it's peaks aren't as high?

It seems to be consistently rank 4 or 5, while Sun Moon varies from 9 to 3.
I would argue that Pokemon (2019) is flat out performing better than Pokemon SM.

While SM did reach 3rd place once, that was during the holiday season when all the other big anime are on break. In terms of ratings, SM has only reached the 70's once, and mostly just yo-yoing around the 30's and 40's.

As for Pokemon (2019), it's managed to reach the 70's twice (just barely though), and viewership ratings are holding steady in the mid 50's to high 60's range.

Reaction score
@JinksChow how did the episodes of Sun & Moon after the Timeslot Change perform? I wonder if the numbers are high compared to these low Early-SM Numbers because that would confirm the suspicion of people not being able to watch the Episodes on Sundays.

Reaction score
@JinksChow how did the episodes of Sun & Moon after the Timeslot Change perform? I wonder if the numbers are high compared to these low Early-SM Numbers because that would confirm the suspicion of people not being able to watch the Episodes on Sundays.
There's the usual short burst of viewership after a hiatus, but afterwards it's back to normal for SM.

Looking at the 5 episodes after the timeslot
change:

Pokémon Sun & Moon DVR RatingsPokémon Sun & Moon DVR Ranking
Episode 09151.28
Episode 09229.810
Episode 09337.67
Episode 09435.98
Episode 09534.18

In fact, I'm pretty sure ratings for SM don't start picking up until near the end

Reaction score
It's a shame we don't have the XY numbers which would make it easier to tell if Journeys is performing unexpectedly well or if Sun/Moon did worse than usual (or even both).
Edit: To clarify I don't want Sun/Moon to have done poorly, I'm just curious since I'd read that in the past every series did worse than the last one.

Last edited:
Pokémon (2019) DVR Ratings RERUN EDITION New
Reaction score
Since we don't know how long the hiatus will go on, I've decided to make a separate table for just the rerun episodes of Pokémon (2019).

Please note that the data is published around 2 weeks after initial airing.

Pokémon (2019) DVR Ratings
RERUN EDITION
Pokémon (2019) DVR Ranking
RERUN EDITION
Episode 00136.68
Episode 002<29.8Unranked
Episode 003<37.0Unranked
Episode 004<31.2Unranked
As it turns out, the Japanese audience isn't that interested in reruns either. Hopefully the situation in Japan gets better soon.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Interesting find, they seem more fun to compare than the other ratings. I'm surprised the ratings didn't change much with the timeslot change. Did they increased in the Alola League?

The peak on SM019 could be explained because it aired too close to New Year's Eve, but I'm clueless on SM017 and SM019.

Reaction score
Interesting find, they seem more fun to compare than the other ratings. I'm surprised the ratings didn't change much with the timeslot change. Did they increased in the Alola League?
I'm curious, too. I wouldn't be surprised if the Alola League finals in particular got a spike from people going to catch the historical moment later.

Reaction score
To clarify I don't want Sun/Moon to have done poorly, I'm just curious since I'd read that in the past every series did worse than the last one.
For the most part that is true. Although, DP if I remember correctly did better than BF arc of AG.

@JinksChow What is your theory on the PM 13 number? That is the Leon episode. Giving the hype, you would think that episode would be higher.

Reaction score
@JinksChow What is your theory on the PM 13 number? That is the Leon episode. Giving the hype, you would think that episode would be higher.
This is just a guess, but since all anime series under first place for that particular week got slightly lower ratings, I would say rather than SS013 underperforming, it is the anime in first place that was overperforming that week, thus leading to seemingly lower numbers.

Reaction score
I think it's more about people who are faithful viewers towards the TV Anime rather than people who select and pick and watch selective episodes imo. Although to be fair, SM had better TV ratings in it's first 20 Episodes than PM. SM even did better than XY&Z (Last 47 Episodes of XY).

Reaction score
I think it's more about people who are faithful viewers towards the TV Anime rather than people who select and pick and watch selective episodes imo. Although to be fair, SM had better TV ratings in it's first 20 Episodes than PM. SM even did better than XY&Z (Last 47 Episodes of XY).
That's not an apt comparison though, since early episodes of a series always perform better than the last episodes of the previous series. This has happened with early XY - late BW, early BW - late DP, early DP - late AG, as well as early AG - late OS.

You should only compare between equivalent episodes of series (e.g. first episode to first episode); the only exception might be to compare SM episodes post-timeslot change with Pokemon (2019) episodes, since those would be most similar in terms of circumstances.

Reaction score
That's not an apt comparison though, since early episodes of a series always perform better than the last episodes of the previous series. This has happened with early XY - late BW, early BW - late DP, early DP - late AG, as well as early AG - late OS.

You should only compare between equivalent episodes of series (e.g. first episode to first episode); the only exception might be to compare SM episodes post-timeslot change with Pokemon (2019) episodes, since those would be most similar in terms of circumstances.
Guess that makes much sense tho. I compared it because XY&Z itself was advertised as a new series but I get your point.

You will only shine if you are yourself!
Reaction score
Do ratings matter these days?
If you do some promotion, people will watch it on Netflix or other streaming services. I am not sure if the pokemon company and Tokyo TV really care about the ratings. Pokemon will always be popular, so when it airs, Sunday, Tuesday or Thursday or which hour doesnt really matter. There are only a few shows that last as long as pokemon and be as popular. A death slot for pokemon doesnt excist, maybe for other shows.

Reaction score
Do ratings matter these days?
If you do some promotion, people will watch it on Netflix or other streaming services. I am not sure if the pokemon company and Tokyo TV really care about the ratings. Pokemon will always be popular, so when it airs, Sunday, Tuesday or Thursday or which hour doesnt really matter. There are only a few shows that last as long as pokemon and be as popular. A death slot for pokemon doesnt excist, maybe for other shows.
As I've said in the OP, I'm only using ratings here as an attempt at an objective measure of the Japanese audience's interest in the anime. The Pokémon anime would keep on airing as long as the Pokemon Company still see it as worthwhile. We have also had Japanese news articles in the past stating that TVTokyo does not care about viewership ratings, so there's that as well. In that sense, you're correct in saying a death slot doesn't exist for Pokemon.

(Unless they decide to air Pokemon at like 3 in the morning or something, then I think we can all agree TVTokyo just straight up don't care)

However, viewership still indicates interest; rises and falls in viewership within the same series even more so. As such, I'm just comparing ratings within the same series to see if the new series is successfully capturing its audience.

Also, the few anime that has aired as long or even longer than Pokemon, all seem to be enjoying higher ratings/more popular than Pokemon. Maybe Yu-Gi-Oh (or whatever the current spinoff is called) is less popular?

The DVR website has put out an update for the week 2020/04/27 - 2020/05/03, and um...

As it turns out, the rerun of the second episode of Pokémon (2019) has completely slipped out of the top 10 anime ranking, so we don't even get viewership data for this episode.

At this point, all we can say is that the episode got less than 29.8 points and is unranked.

Reaction score
Not too surprising; the first airing wasn't that long ago and I believe the episode was available on the official channel for a while, so anyone who wanted to catch it had ample opportunity.

Reaction score
Another week, another update

So perhaps unsurprisingly, the rerun of Pokémon (2019) Episode 3 has once again missed the top 10 ranking. Given that 10th place has higher viewership ratings than last week, we don't even know if more or less people tuned in for this episode.

One thing of note though is that Yokai Watch Jam is the anime in 10th place this week, making this the first time in months/years that it has beaten Pokémon in DVR viewership ratings.
(However, it took Pokémon going on reruns and Yokai Watch continuing to air new episodes to accomplish this)

ロケット団よ永遠
Reaction score
JinksChow said:
I'm just trying to get a sense of how the Japanese audience is receiving the new series, and a quantitative method seems like a perfectly reasonable way to do things.
Except it doesn't, because DVR recordings are far from being the only options fans have to watch the show. If you want a quantitative method of interest in the show you're also going to need to get a combination of regular TV ratings, YouTube streaming numbers, Hulu streaming numbers, Amazon Prime streaming numbers, and illegal downloads. DVR ratings by themselves don't tell us much of anything.

However, viewership still indicates interest; rises and falls in viewership within the same series even more so.
No, it means "oh, the show's on YouTube now, I can just watch it on my phone now instead of having to DVR it every week."

Don't get me wrong, the data in this thread is nice to have. But let's not kid ourselves into thinking it comes even close to giving us the full picture of how many people are watching Pocket Monsters in Japan.

Reaction score
Except it doesn't, because DVR recordings are far from being the only options fans have to watch the show. If you want a quantitative method of interest in the show you're also going to need to get a combination of regular TV ratings, YouTube streaming numbers, Hulu streaming numbers, Amazon Prime streaming numbers, and illegal downloads. DVR ratings by themselves don't tell us much of anything.

No, it means "oh, the show's on YouTube now, I can just watch it on my phone now instead of having to DVR it every week."

Don't get me wrong, the data in this thread is nice to have. But let's not kid ourselves into thinking it comes even close to giving us the full picture of how many people are watching Pocket Monsters in Japan.
I get where you're coming from, but including illegal downloads as well? That's like saying Nintendo should include download numbers for Citra (a 3DS emulator) in their sales data for 3DS consoles.

As for DVR not including all Japanese viewers; while that is true, it still has a big enough sample size (research papers show that adoption rates of DVR in Japan is strong). Take current presidential national polls as an example: they might not survey/poll every single citizen and have some inaccuracies (looking at 2016), but they still provide a general picture of who is leading. Sometimes there's no way to get the full picture, so a general picture is what we have to settle with.

But maybe one would argue that DVR doesn't even provide a general picture. Perhaps they don't sell to a certain demographic, or perhaps they don't broadcast all shows on TV. If it comes down to that, at the very least these ratings show rise and fall of interest within the platform itself. If that's the case, then whether or not that trend extends outside of DVR is up to interpretation.

In fact, we can see this exactly with Video Research Ltd's viewership ratings. Even though after the timeslot change, Pokemon SM has almost completely disappeared from the top 10 rankings, in actuality there is roughly the same amount of people still interested in the anime.

Last edited: