• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

News Pokemon English dub moving from Cartoon Network to Disney XD

I'm both surprised and yet not surprised at the same time. Cartoon Network has been treating its third party properties pretty poorly lately and it's been especially clear with how they've handled the most recent XY season. Regardless of how you feel about the Kalos League, it does not deserve to be put at the 7AM death slot. Neither does the Team Flare arc for that matter. Not to mention there has been so little promotion for the series for a long time and they've had almost no repeat slots for this entire season. That is just incredibly bad treatment, especially for a long running series in its 20th anniversary like Pokemon.

I'm still surprised since I thought that they'd still keep airing the series and hopefully give it better treatment, especially when I didn't think that they'd pass up on a new Pokemon series. Cartoon Network has been airing Pokemon for well over ten years at this point, even longer if you count the years where they'd air reruns from Kids' WB, so this is still kind of a shock, even with the poor treatment in mind. In retrospect, this probably explains why Pokemon.com put episodes of XYZ on their website well before they normally do and why Pokemon isn't listed among Cartoon Network's shows on their On Demand section anymore.

On the bright side, I am glad that we're still getting a sneak peek at the SM dub within this year in the U.S. since I have been curious about that for awhile. Using a marathon to promote the new movie and the new series with its new home on Disney XD is pretty smart. It is a bit concerning that the series is going to a channel that fewer people have access to, but perhaps it's not as uncommon among households as I think it is. Disney XD is actually treated pretty well compared to some of the other minor channels like Nicktoons and it actually does get promotion, so maybe it's more common for people to have access to it nowadays. At least my cable package changed last year so I have access to Disney XD. If this happened back when XY started, I'd be more upset. At least I have more of a reason to watch Disney XD now. Hopefully, they'll actually have the series on at a decent premiere slot, give rerun slots and have episodes available on their website and On Demand.

Since Yo-Kai Watch is also on Disney XD, I'm curious to see if the two series will air back to back and offer up some friendly competition. I'm also hoping it gets better time slots compared to the ones it had on Cartoon Network had for it these last few years.

Maybe this means we can finally have longer opening songs again since Cartoon Network mandated the previous ones to be 30 seconds.

I agree that Cartoon Network giving it the 7AM slot was pretty bad, that with cancelling with Young Justice and Green Lantern and later adding the awful Teen Titans Go shows they aren't as good as they used to be.

Since Yo-Kai Watch is also on Disney XD, I'm curious to see if the two series will air back to back and offer up some friendly competition. I'm also hoping it gets better time slots compared to the ones it had on Cartoon Network had for it these last few years.

Maybe this means we can finally have longer opening songs again since Cartoon Network mandated the previous ones to be 30 seconds.

I'm not sure how long the openings for other shows are on Disney XD, but that would be a good thing. The shorter time limit has been a factor against the TPCI openings. We also might see some ads for Pokemon on Disney Channel. They often have promos for Disney XD on that channel and they have been promoting Yokai Watch, including the games, with some of their Disney Channel stars, so that would be neat, if only to give the series more promotion in general.

I knew things had been bad with CN for a while (which just tragic when you think of how close they used to be), but didn't think things would turn out like THIS!:eek:

Pokémon AND Yo-Kai Watch on the same channel? :confused:

Well...this is awkward...

Also...does this mean no more of the precious sagas on Boomerang?

Come to think of it, does this mean any changes for the Dub? :cautious:

I'm surprised, but not really at the same time. Disney's main channel have been showcasing Pokemon ads for quite a while now. I found it quite odd for some time that Disney advertised more Pokemon related stuff than Cartoon Network. I never put much thought to it, tho. It caught my attention again when I found out that Disney XD has been airing dubs in other countries for quite some time. Once again I didn't put too much thought into it. Obviously things have drastically turned. It's obvious at this point they've been testing the ground to see how well the English dub would do on their main XD channel(if they ever got the chance to air it obviously).

I'm really happy that Disney XD is now gonna air Pokemon instead of Cartoon Network. I feel like Cartoon Network is going down this horrible road it did after most of the "original" shows in the 1990s were cancelled. Also, I remember when I was young they had a whole day for Pokemon. Now... Well they didn't do a lot for Pokemon. Plus Team Titans Go was, in my POV, the nail in the coffin for Cartoon Network, as it's becoming Cartoon Network's main show and it sucks. Disney XD, on the other hand, did have some experience with anime, with Yo-Kai Watch and Doraemon, and it does have some pretty good shows, so getting Pokemon makes me pretty happy. The only problem is that about 3/5 of people with televisions have Disney XD, compared to the 4/5 with Cartoon Network, so the amount of people viewing it is going to go down. Also, I'm not sure if Disney XD would make up the advertising lost when Pokemon was on Cartoon Network, so...
Still, I'm going to watch the new anime. The first 2 episodes actually were not as bad as I thought, though it definitely falls short of the XY arc

as much as I would love the change to mean the overall quality of the dub will go up logically changing channel won't really make a difference to the show

The only benefits I can see to this are that (a) we may not be cursed with 29-30 second openings like we have been for the past decade and (b) the dub gets a better airing time than 7 AM at 6 PM.

Other than that, I have very low expectations going into the proper run of the Sun & Moon dub, and am fearing the worst after how the XY(Z) dub was handled. :(

XD schedule for this month
wait wtf where are the Sun/Moon episodes? Are they just going to air the XY arc? I mean I'm fine with that, but I want to watch some Sun/Moon dub and see how horrible it is compared to the sub...

wait wtf where are the Sun/Moon episodes? Are they just going to air the XY arc? I mean I'm fine with that, but I want to watch some Sun/Moon dub and see how horrible it is compared to the sub...
They could be waiting until there are enough episodes dubbed to either start airing them weekly or they might hold off of airing them for a while to air the premiere in a bunch of episodes I'm assuming.

They could be waiting until there are enough episodes dubbed to either start airing them weekly or they might hold off of airing them for a while to air the premiere in a bunch of episodes I'm assuming.
Ok but there are already 11 episodes for them to dub. I mean, it works for me if they just introduce previous seasons, but I want to see how SM is under dub.

So glad Pokémon is finally getting off of CN. Disney XD's schedule is already miles better than how CN has treated the series in recent years.

My guess is we'll see SM in md to late March. I've got a feeling Disney XD might want to start the season with a week long marathon or something, so they need a larger gap than CN had. I'd be okay with that, since CN's one airing a week at 7 AM was pure garbage.

I'm not really happy they're starting with XY though, considering we just got through with the series and I, personally, am not interested in re-watching it. I wish they would've started with some older episodes.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom