• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

Well on the upside of him having two fighters is it at least makes up for them shafting Primeape and never giving him a real fighting pokemon since.

Say what you will about Heracross but it was never treated nor acted like a fighter at all and was always used like a bug.

I think Chimchar will evolve slightly earlier than the sixth gym battle. Does anyone remember how long May's Combusken stayed as is all the way to the end of Hoenn, and the Battle Frontier? I was expecting it to evolve into Blaziken by the Hoenn Grand Festival. If Chimchar evolves by the sixth gym, then we won't have much going on with it, and it'll be a rushed evolution by the end.

You know, no matter how good it sounds for Ash to have a Riolu, I'm really not peachy keen on it. That Hippopotas disappointed me, because I also wanted it to join the team.

Ash:

Pikachu-Nothing doing. No evolution.

Turtwig: At least to Grotle.

Gliscor: Finished.

Chimchar: All the Way to Infernape.

Starvia: To Staraptor, but I can see it being Oaked as it hasn't done anything worth mentioning since it evolved from Starly.

Buizel: To Floatzel.

As for new captures...Ash can catch any non-legendary EXCEPT Riolu. He doesn't need one and should never catch one. That goes for Lucario too. No Riolu or Lucario for Ash. EVER.

Dawn:

Piplup: at least to Prinplup; most likely during Dawn's last episode, but I really hope it happens sooner. (Honestly, people, if Piplup doesn't evolve at all, the writers will be making the same mistakes they made in Kanto AND Johto, and we don't want a rehash of that, now do we? No? That's what I thought. The days of keeping all the starters except one unevolved are over-Advance is proof of this.)

Pachirisu: Can't evolve unless it gets a fifth gen evo.

Swinub: I honestly can't see it evolving.

Ambipom: Finished.

Buneary: I can see it happening, but not for a while. She seemed to like Lopunny, which may show her desire to become one someday.

For Dawn's future captures...give her one of the Johto starters. Chikorita seems to be a good choice.

Brock:

Croagunk: I can't see him evolving either.

Sudowoodo: Finished.

Happiny: If she evolves, she'll most likely be given to a Nurse Joy somewhere.

Brock doesn't need to catch any more Pokemon...I think his team's just fine.

Last edited:
If Chimchar evolves by the sixth gym, then we won't have much going on with it, and it'll be a rushed evolution by the end.

My point exactly, it needs to evolve into Monferno asap so it's evolution doesn't seem forced and repeated of Charmeleon to Charizard.

That Hippopotas disappointed me, because I also wanted it to join the team.

I'm glad he didn't catch that bubble blowing baby that still needs to be beaten senseless, plus Ash did just have donphan prior to sinnoh so i'd rather he not get another solid ground type.

For Ash, I can see the following:

Pikachu
Turtwig --> Grotle
Gliscor
Chimchar --> Monferno (possibly Infernape in a League match vs. Paul)
Staravia --> Staraptor
Buizel

While I love Floatzel, I just can't see Buizel evolving; it's fine the way it is and it strikes me as being the sort who wouldn't want to evolve.

For Dawn...

While I want Piplup to evolve, I doubt it will happen.
Ambipom is done
Buneary... Lopunny is possible, but I love it the way it is
Pachirisu is a no-no without a fifth gen
Swinub should go all the way; it's the reason she caught it
If she catches a sixth, my prediction is Bronzor

For Brock...

Sudowoodo is done
Happiny... I can't see it evolving, to be honest. If it does, I think it will only evolve once, and likely around the League or during the add-on saga afterwards
Croagunk won't evolve. It's more of a mascot than Piplup is.

For Ash, I can see the following:

Pikachu
Turtwig --> Grotle
Gliscor
Chimchar --> Monferno (possibly Infernape in a League match vs. Paul)
Staravia --> Staraptor
Buizel

While I love Floatzel, I just can't see Buizel evolving; it's fine the way it is and it strikes me as being the sort who wouldn't want to evolve.

I'll say this much, even if the starters don't evolve, Buizel HAD BETTER do it, nothing is holding it back unlike poor Corphish who's evo had the dreaded dark element in it.

Also I agree on the subject of Ash getting at least one more pokemon before sinnoh's over, as to who it may be who knows.

Chaosblazer said:
it needs to evolve into Monferno asap so it's evolution doesn't seem forced and repeated of Charmeleon to Charizard.

With said "repeated Charmeleon to Charizard", I think it'd be awesome if it had the same attitude problem as well. That'd be a total backfire to what Ash was doing all that time as a Chimchar.

I also wanted Ash's Corphish to evolve too! I can't believe it, but it seems that if a Pokemon is powerful as is, then they won't evolve it. This isn't the case with Treecko.

I have heard ash might Oak turtwig and staravia and get riolu and hippopatas
at the end of the sinnoh league

heres pokemon I we could see ash with

Pikachu(of Course)
torterra or Grotle
Infernape
Flotsel
Starapter
riolu
hippotas
gliscor
I haven't heard much about dawn but she might end up with these
Piplup
Lopunny
Ambipom
Pachirisu
swinub
brock im thing is going to have a
Toxicroak
happiny
sudowoodo
I've heard a lot about TRs pokemon they will get
Vesiquen
Tanegrowth
aggron
I've heard that in the end of DP they will regather all the pokemon they have lost and relesed that goes for all main characters

I'm bored, so here's my predictions/hopes for the team rosters by the end of Sinnoh:

Ash:
Pikachu
Staraptor
Grotle
Infernape
Floatzel
Gliscor
-For the love of Arceus, his Pokémon just need to start evolving already. o.o Having watched a few episodes of Battle Frontier recently, Ash's Sinnoh team is seriously depressing me.

Dawn:
Piplup
Buneary
Pachirisu
Ambipom
Mamoswine
-Mamoswine really... does not fit with the rest of her team at all, but why in the world else would she catch Swinub? I've pretty much given up any hope of Buneary evolving. Now watch Dawn unexpectedly get Lopunny within the next two months or something right after I said that. I kinda don't see her catching a sixth Pokémon, mostly because May never did. It'd be nice to see some more variety in Contests aside from Swinub, though~

Brock:
Sudowoodo
Croagunk
Blissey
-I once thought Happiny would never evolve, but then again I once thought Bonsly would never evolve (although I prayed that it would). It would be kind of strange to see a Chansey with the twerps, but whatever. I hope Happiny would still keep its super-strength after evolving. As for catching a fourth Pokémon, three works pretty well for Brock: it's the number he had for the majority for AG.

Jessie:
Wobbuffet
Seviper
Yanmega
-Yeah, she seems set.

James:
-Mr. Mime
-Carnivine
-Mysterious third Pokémon
Mime Jr. evolving when Mr. Mime is already Delia's signature Pokémon would also be strange, but those BF episodes have reminded me of a time in which Mime Jr. existed and was actually entertaining. Since that thing seems to have fallen off the face of the planet when DP started, I'd like to see it spotlighted again, and evolution would be a good way to do that. As for the third Pokémon, maybe a small one to make up for Mime Jr. not being that small anymore? I'd still like to see James with a Chatot. Or maybe Rotom. o.o Team Rocket with an Electric-type would be fun.

Ash:
Pikachu
Staraptor
Grotle
Infernape
Floatzel
Gliscor
-For the love of Arceus, his Pokémon just need to start evolving already. o.o Having watched a few episodes of Battle Frontier recently, Ash's Sinnoh team is seriously depressing me.

Same here. That's exactly the same team I hope Ash gets at the end of DP too.

I just randomly thought of how funny it would be if Piplup evolved without any warning. It'll never happen, of course, but it would be hilarious to see everyone's reactions since we're all so sure it will stay a Piplup forever, what with it being the D/P mascot.

Also remembered that Happiny evolving would mean Brock would need a new baby to occupy himself with. I like Brock being the one given all the babies, so I want to see that continue if the current baby grows up. Probably a 5th generation pre-evolution, since I can't think of any already-known Pokémon that would really work.

That brings up the question, exactly how soon after 5th gens start being revealed can we expect the twerps and Rockets to add them to their line-ups? Or we going to wait for a possible post-Sinnoh arc or are we going to have another Munchlax situation?

I just randomly thought of how funny it would be if Piplup evolved without any warning. It'll never happen, of course, but it would be hilarious to see everyone's reactions since we're all so sure it will stay a Piplup forever, what with it being the D/P mascot.

Heh, I have the feeling Piplup will evolve in Dawn's very last episode, similar to the way Combusken evolved into Blaziken in May's second to last episode.

Funny stuff if that happens. Before that, we'll see Piplup take down Kenny's Empolean in the Grand Festival. lol.

I want Ash to have a big water pokemon! Even if Buizel evolves its still going to look abit second rate compared to the blastoises and gyarados's. He needs something abit more impressive to sit by Sceptile and Charizard. Seems a complete waste of a series to have Ash start all over again and only get the fire and grass starters which he really doesnt need. Ahhh well maybe next region he'll get a decent water starter.

Scott85 said:
Funny stuff if that happens. Before that, we'll see Piplup take down Kenny's Empolean in the Grand Festival. lol.

That'll be the Pikachu-Raichu deal all over again.

I wish Combusken evolved into Blaziken earlier, like around Ash's sixth badge. Same with Grovyle. Both were in their second stages for too long.

totodiles choreographer said:
I want Ash to have a big water pokemon! Even if Buizel evolves its still going to look abit second rate compared to the blastoises and gyarados's. He needs something abit more impressive to sit by Sceptile and Charizard. Seems a complete waste of a series to have Ash start all over again and only get the fire and grass starters which he really doesnt need. Ahhh well maybe next region he'll get a decent water starter.

Yeah, I'd like to see Ash get a really cool water-type starter, like Squirtle was.

ehum what? Floatzel looks way more badass then Gyarados, Blastoise, Swampert etc etc. And it is not small, if you've seen DP83.

^ Yeah...I thought Floatzel was pretty big. I hope Buizel by the end of D/P evolves into a Floatzel because it's about time Ash has an evolved water type powerhouse on his team. I mean Buizel is like a water type version of Treecko/Grovyle/Sceptile in a way and I think evolving into a Floatzel would be just plain awesome.

I like pokemon... I don't really care what they do in the series really. I like the old pokemon better. All I know is that I basically know all the evolutions in the Kanto and Hoenn Regions. I can tell you what level and pokemon from the Hoenn region evolves. And with Kanto... Most of them.

Floatzels not that big is it?....you've got me wondering now, its been in a few eps as well and I cant remember it having an impressive size...hmmm. Plus nah I just dont like the idea of it being treated as a true powerhouse. Charizard can take out an articuno and you don't feel cheated if a floatzel did something like that it'd just feel wrong (like the pikachu-regice match). Its a large otter in a life jacket, I'd take a giant turtle with cannons over that any day.

Back
Top Bottom