• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

Judging from the most recent episode Chespin is going to be the seasonal joker much like Oshawat was last series.
As such i am glad it's not one of Ash's captures, but i was a little surprised that there were 2 clemont centered episodes in a row.

This does leave us with the question of what will be Ash's grass type. The gogoat line has been featured with the journalist so no-go there. One of the grass/ghost types (or both) seems most likely.

It's between Skiddo and Phantump now..Jessie is getting Pumpkaboo.

I am betting Satoshi will catch a Bokurē (Phantump), but perhaps he will not catch a new Grass-type Pokémon this time, but bring back Fushigidane or even catch a Yukikaburi, for the sake of advertising Mega Evolutions. It would be cool to see Satoshi having Mega Fushigibana or Mega Yukinooh, in his team, later in the series. Still, part of me wants he to pick a Bokurē, mainly because he never properly had a Ghost-type Pokémon and also because Ōrotto is amazing.

I would love to see Froakie evolve. There hasn't been a fully evolved Water starter on the main cast yet, and Ash hasn't even evolved any of his Water starters.

I'm not sure exactly what Serena's role in the show is (I haven't seen any episodes), but if she's an active trainer like Ash I think her Fennekin will evolve. If she's just there to be girly, maybe not. I do think she'll get an Espurr/Meowstic, since that was pretty much her signature Pokemon in the games. She'll probably get a Fairy too like Florges or Azumarill.

I am betting Satoshi will catch a Bokurē (Phantump), but perhaps he will not catch a new Grass-type Pokémon this time, but bring back Fushigidane or even catch a Yukikaburi, for the sake of advertising Mega Evolutions. It would be cool to see Satoshi having Mega Fushigibana or Mega Yukinooh, in his team, later in the series. Still, part of me wants he to pick a Bokurē, mainly because he never properly had a Ghost-type Pokémon and also because Ōrotto is amazing.
Honestly, I don't see him bringing back an old Pokemon just to advertise a temporary form, especially when they could have someone else to showcase its Mega Evo. Plus some of Bulbasaur's iconic history revolves around its unwillingness to evolve, and I doubt they'd drop that important aspect. I guess they could have him change his mind, but I really don't see it happening after all these years.

But I am on Team Orotto for Ash. It's one of my favorite Pokemon this generation, and a unique typing.

I really wanted Pumpkaboo for Ash, if not then James. But at lest it's on the main cast. Doubt we'll get Gourgiest though :(

Someone pointed this out over at Serebii: http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/large/827411238.jpg?1386990932

If you look closely at the final set of pictures with Malamar, you can see Pumpkaboo in the background with Inkay behind Team Rocket. It could mean it got captured by the group.

If this is true then it means that the remaining Kalos Grass types not confirmed for the main cast is Phantump line and Skiddo line. I guess that Ash will get Phantump in that case because of that Alexa owns Gogoat. Or Bulbasaur will make a return.

Hmm... I'm glad that it seems Jessie is getting Pumpkaboo (it's closer to her than to James) as its a nice break from her Poison-Types. Also, Gourgeist suits her quite well. Though I hope James gets Phantump and they trade. Or someone accidentally trades with her. I just want a Pumpkaboo/Phantump trade.

The big questions seem to be Ash's grass type and the possible mega evolution.

As for grass types i think Phantump is the only remaining choice since the gogoat line has already been showcased.

As for the Mega.. that's tricky. Charizard is Ash's only fullly evolved starter and i don't see bulbasaur or squirtle return just to evolve in one series and showcase the mega evolution.

Since the game showcased a gift Lucario this may prove to be Ash's mega evolution, but it'd feel cheap if it actually happened that way.

Paul showcased Gliscor and Torterra pretty well for a couple of eps, and Ash still got him. Plus, while DA! was still pretty recent, it was part of a different saga. Gogoat (or Skiddo, leaving Ash with a Skiddo and not evolving it sounds like something the writers would do.) But I'm still holding out for Phantump, especially now that Jessie has a Pumpkaboo. Accidental trade, anyone?

Paul showcased Gliscor and Torterra pretty well for a couple of eps, and Ash still got him. Plus, while DA! was still pretty recent, it was part of a different saga. Gogoat (or Skiddo, leaving Ash with a Skiddo and not evolving it sounds like something the writers would do.) But I'm still holding out for Phantump, especially now that Jessie has a Pumpkaboo. Accidental trade, anyone?

Paul Showcasing gliscor and Torterra was part of their rivalry. Unless i have missed something no such rivalry exists between alexa (?)(the reporter) and Ash. As such i think it is highly unlikely that Ash will get a member of the gogoat line.

The only other option is for them to throw us a curve-ball, and give Ash a member of the Flabebe line since they're basically pseudo-Grass Pokemon.

I suppose it would depend on how/whether they'd be handling AZ's storyline - Ash befriending/capturing that Floette would be an interesting way of filling one of his team.

Paul Showcasing gliscor and Torterra was part of their rivalry. Unless i have missed something no such rivalry exists between alexa (?)(the reporter) and Ash. As such i think it is highly unlikely that Ash will get a member of the gogoat line.

There is no rivalry between Ash and Tyson, and it did not stop Ash to get Sceptile after battling Tyson's Sceptile.

If James catches Pumpkaboo, I can easily see it evolving. Gourgeist looks like it could really show him some love with those hair feelers.

I don't really think it's likely that Ash will catch a Grass type this generation, and if he does then I think it'll likely be Skiddo. I don't really have any logical basis, just a feeling.

Maybe Pumpkaboo belongs to Jessie?

If the writers decided to have James catch Inkay (which I felt was odd considering some of his past captures), then they will probably break away any existing trends (like the writers did in BW) and give TRio whatever they feel like.

The Pumpkaboo is standing behind her in that photo, and Jessie desperately needs a Kalos pokemon on her team. As much as Wobbuffet needed a return to the spotlight, unfortunately he is a one-trick pony; Ash and co. have already exploited Wobbuffet's shortcomings in this series.

Last edited:
Maybe Pumpkaboo belongs to Jessie?

If the writers decided to have James catch Inkay (which I felt was odd considering some of his past captures), then they will probably break away any existing trends (like the writers did in BW) and give TRio whatever they feel like.

The Pumpkaboo is standing behind her in that photo, and Jessie desperately needs a Kalos pokemon on her team. As much as Wobbuffet needed a return to the spotlight, unfortunately he is a one-trick pony; Ash and co. have already exploited Wobbuffet's shortcomings in this series.

That's possible too, I just personally think Inkay would work better for Jessie and Pumpkaboo for James. If we use their placement on the poster as any kind of evidence it will be how you said though.

I admit that as soon as I saw Karamanero I thought it was a perfect fit for Musashi, but Maaiika has already been captured by Kojiro. Musashi is in desperate need of a battling pokemon so if this Bakeccha is being caught then it's going to be by her! Unless they decide to do something totally wacky (like having M&K trade, and tbh how pointless would that be?!) later on in the series I think we'll have to wait and see how these 2 pokemon grow into their respective trainers' moulds.

I still think Yukikaburi is a possibility for Satoshi's Grass-type in X&Y.

Back
Top Bottom