• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

Here is my prediction for Ash
Pikachu
Froakie-Frogadier
Fletchling-Fletchinder-Talonflame
Skiddo
Amaura-Arorus
Aron-Lairon-Aggron

Serena
Fennekin-Braixen
Flabébé-Floette
Phantump
Absol

Clemont
Chespin-Quilladin
Bunnelby
Dedenne
Litleo-Pyroar
(gym)
Heliolisk
Magnemite
Magneton

So far Ash has: Pikachu (obvious reason), Froakie and Fletchling
What Ash should capture and use IMHO: Carbink (he needs a fairy type since they are new anyway), Honedge (it suits Ash I think, that's all) and Phantump (I simple like and Ash to have it)
Others that could suit him as well: Spritzee, Tyrunt, Littleo, Hawlucha and Bergmite

Ash generally utilizes Pokemon that are glass cannons, Pokemon that hit hard and are very fast/evasive when need be. Now naturally he has strayed from preferences from time to time (Muk, Glalie, Boldore, etc), but some of the Pokemon you mentioned seem highly unlikely.

Carbink is even worse than Boldore in terms of maneuverability, so that's a no. Maybe Swirlix instead as Spritzee seems like a Serena-esque Pokemon.

Honedge no, as Ash battling/bonding with a sword has a chance of zero probability.

Bergmite no, espcially as its evolution is a Gym Leaders signature Pokemon.

And Halwucha belongs to Korrina, as well as Diantha.

I agree with Tyrunt, Phanthump and Litleo though.

Ash got a Floatzel even though Floatzel was Crasher Wake's main. And Clay had Palpitoad, Krokorok and Excadrill, all Pokemon owned by the main cast.

Bergmite no, especially as its evolution is a Gym Leaders signature Pokemon.

Ash got a Floatzel even though Floatzel was Crasher Wake's main. And Clay had Palpitoad, Krokorok and Excadrill, all Pokemon owned by the main cast.

Ash has a Buizel. Additionally it's circumstances were different as it was originally owned by another character and that Ash received it in a trade, making it in a whole other dynamic then Crasher Wakes evolved Floatzel. I guess Ash could have Bergmite, but I don't see the writers doing with it as much as thy have other un-evolved main character Pokemon such as Pikachu, Piplup, Buneary, Totodile, Bulbasaur, Squirtle, Croagunk etc etc.

Excadrill belonged to Iris, not Ash. And the other two Pokemon were so frequently rotated throughout Ashs team that the fact that Ash shared ownership with same species with Clay would be forgotten/not often thought of; they weren't permanent party members like Ash will seemingly have in this saga.

Pikachu
Froakie-Frogadier
Skiddo
Amaura-Arorus
Aron-Lairon-Aggron

Serena
Fennekin-Braixen
Flabébé-Floette
Phantump
Absol

Clemont
Chespin-Quilladin
Bunnelby
Dedenne
Litleo-Pyroar
(gym)
Heliolisk
Magnemite
Magneton

I don't see Froakie evolving. Ash never evolves his main water. Only water who has ever evolved was Kingler.

I could see Charizard coming back because Mega. Then Ash would probably get Pancham and Pumpkaboo. If they go the route of having a larger team I'd say Honedge and a Flabebe

Ash generally utilizes Pokemon that are glass cannons, Pokemon that hit hard and are very fast/evasive when need be. Now naturally he has strayed from preferences from time to time (Muk, Glalie, Boldore, etc), but some of the Pokemon you mentioned seem highly unlikely.

Not true at all.
Ash has always had a very diversified team, even in Kanto where he was completely inept. His "special training" sessions seem to go towards speed and offense(what I take to be his EV training method), but in terms of base stats Ash is all over the board. He's had a few glass cannons(mostly his Birds, Buizel and Leavanny), but he's also had some true "walls" on his team(Muk, Lapras, Snorlax, Torkoal, Gliscor, Torterra, Boldore), and his main powerhouses all have a good enough base defensive stat to shake the glass canon label(Charizard, Snorlax, Sceptile, Infernape, Pignite, Krookodile).
I honestly don't know where this notion that Ash is geared towards glass canon's comes from; but actually analyzing his past teams paints a different picture and he's certainly never had a team comprised solely of glass canons(there will be at least 1 strictly defensive Pokemon mixed in there someplace).

Carbink is even worse than Boldore in terms of maneuverability, so that's a no. Maybe Swirlix instead as Spritzee seems like a Serena-esque Pokemon.

And that means what?
Do you not remember Muk or Snorlax or Torkoal? None of them had good mobility. Ash had battle styles for those Pokemon that specifically revolved around their ability to take hits.
Do you not remember the whole Turtwig/Torterra storyline about learning a new battling style to compensate for the loss of speed?
Even Scraggy has a lower base speed than Carbink does.

Carbink doesn't have to be fast or maneuverable to fit into Ash's team.
It could be Ash's "wall" for this generation just as easily as any other Pokemon could, and it has the offensive moveset(Stone Edge, Moonblast, Powergem, Psychic) to make up for it's lack of speed.
I lean away from Carbink because of it's relation to Diancie(I don't think the writers are willing to even give a glimmer of hope towards Ash getting his first Legendary Pokemon), not because of it's lack of speed.

Honedge no, as Ash battling/bonding with a sword has a chance of zero probability.

Do you really see Ash battling/bonding with an oil slick(Muk) or a floating head(Glalie) or a giant rock(Boldore)?
I don't see Honedge fitting for other reasons(the stat/form change is too gimmicky); but not because of it's appearance.

Ash has shared Pokemon evolution lines with 21 different Gym Leaders, Elite 4 members or Champions(Lt Surge, Koga, Faulkner, Chuck, Flannery, Winona, Juan, Gardenia, Wake, Volkner, Burgh, Clay, Skyla, Glacia, Lorelei, Sidney, Aaron, Flint, Bertha, Grimsley and Cynthia), not to mention he already has 2 members of Melva's evolution tree's in Fletchling and Torkoal. And I'm not counting any of the numerous users of the Haunter line since Ash didn't really catch it.

Bergmite and Hawlucha are both extremely possible captures; especially if the writers are trying to re-create a Sinnoh type feel to the Anime where it seemed like every other trainer Ash met had a similar or evolved form of Ash's team.

Not true at all.
Ash has always had a very diversified team, even in Kanto where he was completely inept. His "special training" sessions seem to go towards speed and offense(what I take to be his EV training method), but in terms of base stats Ash is all over the board. He's had a few glass cannons(mostly his Birds, Buizel and Leavanny), but he's also had some true "walls" on his team(Muk, Lapras, Snorlax, Torkoal, Gliscor, Torterra, Boldore), and his main powerhouses all have a good enough base defensive stat to shake the glass canon label(Charizard, Snorlax, Sceptile, Infernape, Pignite, Krookodile).
I honestly don't know where this notion that Ash is geared towards glass canon's comes from; but actually analyzing his past teams paints a different picture and he's certainly never had a team comprised solely of glass canons(there will be at least 1 strictly defensive Pokemon mixed in there someplace).

And that means what?
Do you not remember Muk or Snorlax or Torkoal? None of them had good mobility. Ash had battle styles for those Pokemon that specifically revolved around their ability to take hits.
Do you not remember the whole Turtwig/Torterra storyline about learning a new battling style to compensate for the loss of speed?
Even Scraggy has a lower base speed than Carbink does.

Carbink doesn't have to be fast or maneuverable to fit into Ash's team.
It could be Ash's "wall" for this generation just as easily as any other Pokemon could, and it has the offensive moveset(Stone Edge, Moonblast, Powergem, Psychic) to make up for it's lack of speed.
I lean away from Carbink because of it's relation to Diancie(I don't think the writers are willing to even give a glimmer of hope towards Ash getting his first Legendary Pokemon), not because of it's lack of speed.

Do you really see Ash battling/bonding with an oil slick(Muk) or a floating head(Glalie) or a giant rock(Boldore)?
I don't see Honedge fitting for other reasons(the stat/form change is too gimmicky); but not because of it's appearance.

Ash has shared Pokemon evolution lines with 21 different Gym Leaders, Elite 4 members or Champions(Lt Surge, Koga, Faulkner, Chuck, Flannery, Winona, Juan, Gardenia, Wake, Volkner, Burgh, Clay, Skyla, Glacia, Lorelei, Sidney, Aaron, Flint, Bertha, Grimsley and Cynthia), not to mention he already has 2 members of Melva's evolution tree's in Fletchling and Torkoal. And I'm not counting any of the numerous users of the Haunter line since Ash didn't really catch it.

Bergmite and Hawlucha are both extremely possible captures; especially if the writers are trying to re-create a Sinnoh type feel to the Anime where it seemed like every other trainer Ash met had a similar or evolved form of Ash's team.

"Not true at all.
I honestly don't know where this notion that Ash is geared towards glass canon's comes from; but actually analyzing his past teams paints a different picture and he's certainly never had a team comprised solely of glass canons(there will be at least 1 strictly defensive Pokemon mixed in there someplace)."

First of all, I did indeed say that he has strayed from his preference from time to time. I also included examples of said Pokemon, as well the hugely encompassing word etcetera. So this includes the "true walls" on his team (Muk, Lapras, Snorlax, Torkoal, Gliscor, Torterra, Boldore). Please keep this in mind.

Secondly, all the powerhouses you listed can all be OHKOed with a single hit by a reasonable supereffective move with STAB. I rather not go into detail with the myriad of moves and Pokemon that could perform such OHKOing as the numbers are many and vast. Also, none of them have base Defense stat of 90 or higher. And Charizard, Sceptile, Infernape and Pignite are all Pokemon viewed as fragile in competitive battling.

"And that means what?
Even Scraggy has a lower base speed than Carbink does."

It means precisely what I said it means. Maneuverability. Firstly, surely you must know that base speeds do not apply themselves in the Pokemon Anime: if you train a Pokemon to be fast, it'll be fast regardless of its supposed low speed or big bulk. Just like you mentioned, Turtwig is a prime example with Ash and Gardenia's Turtwigs being exceedingly faster than their in game counterparts.

However the key thing is that they all had limbs. The fact that Turtwig could physically run is what allowed it to be faster than what it should be. The same for Snorlax and Torkoal, which allowed them to quickly dodge and evade attacks. Muk does not have appendages, but an expandable body that compensates. Carbink possesses none of that. You could argue it could be as fast and maneuverable as Elesa's Tynamo, but even that's pushing it. Tynamo was a one episode COTD Pokemon whereas Ash would have Carbink in his party. And I guarantee you the writers wont give him have a Pokemon that simply rams into targets (and doesn't evolve any further) as a main party Pokemon.

But now that I think about it, Carbink could fill a role akin to Ash's Glalie (in terms of battling) if that makes you happy. It is entirely plausible with the move set you suggested. I admit that.

"Do you really see Ash battling/bonding with an oil slick(Muk) or a floating head(Glalie) or a giant rock(Boldore)?
I don't see Honedge fitting for other reasons(the stat/form change is too gimmicky); but not because of it's appearance."

I do. Because that oil slick, floating head and giant rock were all capable of expressing distinct, substantial emotion unlike Honedge and its evolutions will.

The stat/form change is the only other reason it wouldn't be considered; there aren't others.

"Ash has shared Pokemon evolution lines with 21 different Gym Leaders, Elite 4 members or Champions(Lt Surge, Koga, Faulkner, Chuck, Flannery, Winona, Juan, Gardenia, Wake, Volkner, Burgh, Clay, Skyla, Glacia, Lorelei, Sidney, Aaron, Flint, Bertha, Grimsley and Cynthia), not to mention he already has 2 members of Melva's evolution tree's in Fletchling and Torkoal. And I'm not counting any of the numerous users of the Haunter line since Ash didn't really catch it.

Bergmite and Hawlucha are both extremely possible captures; especially if the writers are trying to re-create a Sinnoh type feel to the Anime where it seemed like every other trainer Ash met had a similar or evolved form of Ash's team."

Yeah, but not all in the same saga/region. You're going outside the scope and context of this Kalos team prediction. If Ash was in some sort of land where all gym leaders, elite four members and champions all convened into one big Super Pokemon League, then we could take those 21 evolution lines into consideration.

And yes,the Bergmite and Hawlucha are possible captures. But in a region where currently only 70 new Pokemon are introduced, I don't see the writers giving certain Gym Leader specific Pokemon to the main cast, especially when there are numerous Pokemon from the five previous generations they are perfectly capable of obtaining.

Personally I hope that Ash stays away from slower pokes like Avalugg or Carbink this gen. Those ones are usually used as some kind of fodder. Torterra, Boldore, Torkoal all got this treatment.

Pikachu
Froakie-Frogadier
Skiddo
Amaura-Arorus
Aron-Lairon-Aggron

Serena
Fennekin-Braixen
Flabébé-Floette
Phantump
Absol

Clemont
Chespin-Quilladin
Bunnelby
Dedenne
Litleo-Pyroar
(gym)
Heliolisk
Magnemite
Magneton

I don't see Froakie evolving. Ash never evolves his main water. Only water who has ever evolved was Kingler.

I could see Charizard coming back because Mega. Then Ash would probably get Pancham and Pumpkaboo. If they go the route of having a larger team I'd say Honedge and a Flabebe

First, Pumpkaboo is one of Jessies Pokemon. If you think of Phantump? Second, Froakie might evolve, of it being Ashs only starter, like in Hoenn. Froakie is acting just like Treecko.

Pikachu
Froakie-Frogadier
Skiddo
Amaura-Arorus
Aron-Lairon-Aggron

Serena
Fennekin-Braixen
Flabébé-Floette
Phantump
Absol

Clemont
Chespin-Quilladin
Bunnelby
Dedenne
Litleo-Pyroar
(gym)
Heliolisk
Magnemite
Magneton

First, Pumpkaboo is one of Jessies Pokemon. If you think of Phantump? Second, Froakie might evolve, of it being Ashs only starter, like in Hoenn. Froakie is acting just like Treecko.

Froakie is also Water type. I would be surprised to see it evolve.

Interesting reads seeing here.

Now for more descriptions on my thoughts for the choices.

I did think of Honedge symbolic as a great warrior/hero mark and isn't Ash the hero here? Already right at the beginning of XY when climbing Prism Tower to calm Garchomp Ash showed quiet the heroism and I won't mention all the other times in the past. I can see more heroic thematic in XY later.

For Carbink, had a hard time to decide it. Ash is the main character here and Fairy is the new type so it seems to be necessary that Ash catches a main Fairy (not necessarily a Fairy only type but I'm going for new Pokès only in my ideas here) but most of em don't seem to fit too good with Ash. A Spritzee seems to be a bit of a Haunter kind to me, playing pranks with different scents affecting human senses and stuff therefore I see it fit better than other Fairy types for Ash. Oh and I think a fluffy Swirlix is more of a girl Pokèmon, not fitting Ash. This comes with many Fairy types. I would say Xerneas comes better but a direct legendary seems out of the question for Ash if you ask me. However, when I first wrote this post I wasn't aware of the connection between Carbink and Diancie (much like Riolo and Lucario starting as kinda legendary now all around) and considering the "no legendary rule" (that interesting enough plays with Ash as well) it falls pretty much off now and Spritzee remains.

Hawlucha appears to be a wild kind of Pokemon to me so it goes well with Ash I think.

Bergmite was a side thought, not exactly expecting it to be evolving (yet) and you know, you can't really compare the games with the Anime. I think Bergmite is more of a strategic use with ice powers. I expect Ash to show some skill with using field, environment and abilities for XY anyway. So far the show didn't give me much of a reason to think he won't be strategic from time to time to win.
I also expect diversity from a seemingly experienced Ash in XY, especially since they increased the importance of type advantages lately.
As I am, I think Ash too isn't much of EV/IV knowledgeable or focused on them if they exist in Anime form like that at all, though my inferior knowledge about this stuff might lead me to wrong conclusions. Your free to lecture me on them.

So see you all around and have a nice day.

Last edited:
A Spritzee seems to be a bit of a Haunter kind to me, playing pranks with different scents affecting human senses and stuff therefore I see it fit better than other Fairy types for Ash. Oh and I think a fluffy Swirlix is more of a girl Pokèmon, not fitting Ash.

I think Spritzee, and especially its evolution, are much more "girly" Pokemon for Ash than Swirlix. Are you sure you aren't confusing the two? If not, well it is totally possible for Ash to get a Spritzee. And I agree, it would be amusing to see it prank people with different scents.

I for one think Froakie will evolve. They've already broken several rules with Ash's team, why not the water curse? It's his only starter that already had a decent move set and is just going to get better. It has so much potential.

It'd also be great for Ash to properly train up a tank, since this is something he's sucked at in the past. Be nice to see him overcome that particular barrier.

Honestly, his team is anyone's guess. It's so hard to predict

Does anyone else think Serena might get the shiny Koiking in the upcoming episode? She needs another Pokémon fast and it would be nice to have another shiny Pokémon on the main cast again. :)

As much as I doubt it'll happen, I desperately want another shiny on the cast. It's been over 10 years since Noctowl.

Does anyone else think Serena might get the shiny Koiking in the upcoming episode? She needs another Pokémon fast and it would be nice to have another shiny Pokémon on the main cast again. :)

If she gets a new pokemon it will probably be tied in with her development as a character/trainer.
A magikarp doesn't seem like a pokemon with possibilities to that end unless they intend to give her a sushi bar.

As much as I doubt it'll happen, I desperately want another shiny on the cast. It's been over 10 years since Noctowl.

Out of curiosity, do you have a shiny in mind?

Noctowl, even though shiny, never looked drastically out of place among the casts Pokemon. It actually fit better than its non-shiny brown counterpart. What other shiny could you see with a similar effect?

For example, a light green Jolteon would be kind of random...well in my opinion.

Ahhhhgadashdnuindsa. Ever since seeing the preview, I couldn't help but want another shiny 'mon to join the team.

To be completely honest, I want him to catch either a shiny Snover, a Fossil (I'm indifferent as to which one he gets. Albeit, I think shiny Amaura looks better) or Phantump. I see all three of these as possibly captures for Ash, which all have shiny colors that would fit pretty nicely in the cast. Especially Snover and Amaura, as their shiny forms don't differ drastically,

However, if someone manages to catch the shiny Magikarp, I honestly don't mind who gets it, as long as we get to see it evolve. Actually, scratch that. If anyone gets it, I hope it's Serena. Just imagine her with an over-affectionate Gyarados, especially when taking them out for lunch: "Fennekin why not come sit on my la-" "GYARAAAAA-" "NO NOT YOU!"

I can only dream of the possible humor. ^_^

Back
Top Bottom