• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

If Ash does indeed get a Hawlucha, I feel that it will have initial obedience problems. It seems too tough for him to handle (as of now). Which I wouldn't mind. It would also be interesting to see how it gets along with his other Pokemon.

And I know Ash has had several of the same type of Pokemon on his team before, but two birds? Two beaks? Two sets of talons? Two Birds of Prey? Tw- Okay I'll stop.

Stylistically Hawlucha fits Ash too well to worry about the "two flying types" aspect of it(small, fast, heavy hitting and should play well to the younger audience).

I don't foresee obedience problems with Hawlucha. However, given that it is the "wrestling" Pokemon; odds are it will be a big time show-boater like some WWE characters. Could lead to a bit of an initial personality clash, but I don't see outright disobedience. More likely it will be a similar plot line to Dawn and her Togekiss.

Which was outright disobedience. Togekiss may have executed the moves Dawn commanded, however it did not carry them out the way Dawn wished/ordered (initially). I consider that disobedience, in another dynamic. Not the traditional kind associated with the likes of Charizard, Mamoswine etc.

After witnessing its debut in the preview (if that will even become Ash's Hawlucha), I just feel that it will be a bit presumptuous and Ash will have to work a bit harder to gain its respect & trust. I don't necessarily see it as it having its own battle strategy Ash has to adapt to-it fits his main element of fast, speedy, hard hitting Pokemon rather well.

Hawlucha may be a bird, but it cannot fly; it will have a different battling style and moves than Ash's Fletchling/Fletchinder.

Hawlucha will definitely be caught before Ash VS Korrina, so I can see Ash using it during that battle.

I have mixed feelings about Ash catching a Hawlucha. There's nothing I like about that bird, yet when I see Pokemon in the anime I tend to like them a lot better than how I originally thought of them. It definitely fits his fighting style, though.

And the mystery of which Grass-type he'll catch still remains. .-. As much as I love the Skiddo line, I'm hoping for a Phantump. I would love to see what Ash could do with a Ghost-type. Andddddd this leads me to another hope, which is that he'll evolve it. I would love to see an episode where Ash and Jessie accidentally trade their Phantump and Pumpkaboo, which would let them both evolve accurately.

Not to mention, Trevenant looks quite bad-ass.

Last edited:
I always assume Ash will catch a Hawlucha. It just makes sense to me if he does. And if he does I'll be happy [=

The episodes prior to M17 make me wonder what Serena's first capture will be. A lot of choices that many people suggested near the beginning of X/Y are dwindling down:
- People expected her to catch Absol and Mawile, yet Ayaka will use one in M17 and a COTD will use a Mawile against Korrina's Lucario.
- Swirlix and Slurpuff will appear in XY026, but Serena won't catch either since Hawlucha is the only new addition prior to the film.
- For similar reasons, Skrelp, Amaura, and their respective lines won't be caught.
- Plenty of Pokemon that have already debuted (i.e. Pancham line, Scatterbug line) are unlikely to be caught in the future.
- It would be weird for Serena to catch an evolved Pokemon that had not really debuted in the anime yet (Meowstic, Aromatisse) as her first.
- It is unlikely for any main character to own a member of Honedge's line, since Honedge appeared in Volt.

Serena has plenty of unconventional choices to choose from (Litleo's line, Skiddo's line, Binacle's line, Carbink, Klefki, Goomy's line, Phantump's line, Bergmite's line) out of the Gen VI pokemon. Serena's options are even less considering Ash still needs to catch at least two more Kalos Pokemon (and I can see him with at least Skiddo or Phantump as his Grass-type, and possibly Carbink or Bergmite as well). Some of the other choices don't mesh with Serena, either (i.e. Goomy).

It's weird that a female protagonist hasn't caught any Pokemon by the time the first movie is released. The other female leads have caught at least one Pokemon by this time in their respective series.

Last edited:
Hmm, interesting choice with using Hawlucha, but I think it will be cool to see how Ash handles it and the battling style he'll use with it. As for a future grass type, I'd really like to see him capture a Phantump. It's an interesting type combination and brings a type that Ash hasn't had much experience using yet.

I don't understand why people think that if a Pokemon wasn't caught in its debut episode, it will never be caught. Snorlax, Gible, Palpitoad, Krookodile and a few others all debuted before they were caught, yet they obviously got caught.

I personally don't completely rule out a Pokemon until it's been caught by the main cast (Ash, Serena, Clemont, Bonnie, Jessie, and James) because they're the only ones we see regularly and would be redundant to have two of. I mean in the region they're traveling in. I'm aware that May caught both a Squirtle and Bulbasaur

Seeing as how Ash still needs a Grass-type, and Hawlucha is practically confirmed, that leaves one spot left on his team, unless he decides to rotate. Personally, I'm hoping/thinking he'll catch one of these: Amaura, Binacle, Skrelp, Bergmite, Espurr or Honedge.

I'm tired of people believing that Serena (and the cast) have few choices for Pokemon as well.

Just because a Pokemon has debuted and was not caught in its debut episode, does not mean it cannot or will not be caught by one of the main cast in the future. The writers are not people who believe in one-off Pokemon. Some examples:

-Ash's Johto starters fit this to a T, as well as Unova starters.
-Ash's Palpitoad. Another Palpitoad before his debuted, with another trainer (Trip) trying to capture it.
-Ash/Dawn's Buizel. Even before its anime appearance at Dawn's first contest, it appeared in a movie.
-Ash's Gible. Khourey actually ended up catching one first. Lo and behold the gang stumbles onto another one in which Ash eventually captures.

There are more examples, but these came off the top of my head for this regard. So as far as I am concerned, Serena (and any other major character) still has a vast myriad of Pokemon to choose from as her first capture. So please stop writing off possibilities. Now for Serena, given her recent attempt and awe of Corsola, it will most likely be something cute that won't dirty Fennekin or blast it with super-effective spouts of water.

Oh.

And just because someone else own a species of Pokemon, doesn't mean that a main character cannot own a member of the species (Ash & Iris's Gible, Barry, Kenny, & Kai's Empoleon, and the many other species of Pokemon shared anybody?). Personally, I would love Serena to have an Absol, even if Ayaka already possesses one.

Last edited:
Why would Ash be given Korrina's Lucario? It doesn't make any sense.

It makes sense due to game basis + AG and DP both making a point of Ash's aura abilities and relation to Lucario

Korrina and Lucario seem to have an especially strong bond in the anime;

She may have 2 (or her grandpa owning the other one, possibly the one given to Ash in that case)
Could be one of them would be a newer member who didn't bond with her as much... also even if it is one she has a strong bond with, as I said it'll be exactly because of said bond that it'll be allowed to go with Ash if it'll want to do so (and again it could be "interested" in Ash just like in the games, due to Ash's established aura thing)

Just because something happens in the games does not mean it will happen in the anime.

It also doesn't mean it won't... it can really go either way

It makes sense due to game basis + AG and DP both making a point of Ash's aura abilities and relation to Lucario

That's assuming the writers will bring up aura again with Ash. We don't know how much continuity this series has anymore.

It also doesn't mean it won't... it can really go either way

In either case, Ash won't be getting the Lucario before the film.

Hawlucha is redundant with fletchling and Charizard (We all know he's coming)

The only redundancy is the Flying-type. Charizard isn't likely to come back until the end of the series, and you can't really count him with team captures, otherwise Fletchling would have been redundant too. (Which it wasn't)

Hawlucha doesn't fly like Fletchling. It glides through the air, which will make for different battling styles between the two. Not to mention they have completely different move-sets, allowing more diversity in their battles.

Huh, so was there never an actual movie promo image with Hawlucha? There's still that merchandise pic though.

I don't see Hawlucha being redundant at all, it's fighting style probably isn't anything like Fletchinder's or Charizard's. If anything I think Fletchinder/Talonflame would make Charizard redundant, though I won't be surprised if they bring it back anyway.

Hawlucha is redundant with fletchling and Charizard (We all know he's coming)

Hawlucha is primarily a fighting type, not a flying type.
He doesn't have a fighting type on his team, and the only other option is the panda which has already been passed over.

Not seeing any redundancy here.

The pic with Hawlucha in it sound more like the pic from the last movie with Sableye in it, where everyone thought that Ash will catch it.

Back
Top Bottom