• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

Hawlucha is redundant with fletchling and Charizard (We all know he's coming)

Torterra, Gliscor, and Gible would like to speak to you sir/miss. That being said, Charizard and Talonflame (we all know that's going to be the end result) are redundant, however Hawlucha's not a flier. As someone else already said, it glides. But Hawlucha confirmed! O:< Latest trailer showed it running with the gang's pokemon in the Klefki short. Though you could argue it is a Sableye fakeout, but I'm going to keep hope alive! O:<

Now *Cilan flourish* it's speculation time! =D I'm only doing Ash's team because there's no telling what Serena will get and Cilan's team is really random, and I'm going to speculate Ash's first six kalos pokemon, assuming he does not rotate this season.

Pikachu- Duh

Talonflame- Double Duh

Frogadier/Greninja- I feel like this is a case where either the final form is too awesome so they won't give it to us, or they'll give it to us because it's a fan favorite

Hawlucha- The evidence is piling up! =D

Phantump/Skiddo- I know, I know, everyone's said either one or the other, but honestly, I don't know what they're going to do with his grass slot, and that's assuming he has a grass slot this time around. He defied convention by not getting Chespin this season so, who knows? If I had to lean towards one though, I would have to say Phantump. The only reason I would think he wouldn't get it is because... Well frankly Trevenant looks too evil for him. However, that could easily be remedied by not evolving it. I'd say Phantump over Skiddo because they made Alexa a main character for a little while and her Gogoat was heavily featured, so Ash having a Gogoat seems redundant to me (Call me a hypocrite if you want xD). That being said, again, it can be remedied by not evolving it.

Meowstic/Avalugg/Sliggoo/SlurpuffCharizard or some other potential mega evolver- Let me start this slot by saying, even though I put the megas as least likely, it would suck if Ash doesn't get a mega evo, especially considering how much emphasis theyre putting on them. But with the Alan special and the future episodes and movie heavily featuring them, I feel like it's not going to happen until the league where they may or may not premiere Mega Charizard Y (I know his charizard's going to be Y, I just don't know if it will premiere on the anime before the league.) That being said, Meowstic's first because it's more of my personal "want". I would love if he got Male and Serena got Female or vice versa; Avalugg just seems up his alley; Sliggoo is really just grasping at straws, I really can't see him getting any other Kalos pokemon and I think if he got a Goomy, it would evolve, but not all the way. Just because a Goomy in the anime seems too limiting in terms of its body and battling and Ash is all about battling; Slurpuff... I have no idea, I can just see him with it. When I see Slurpuff, I see the Muk/Totodile/Corphish/Gliscor/Gible/Oshawott of the region. In other words, the quirky one. Ash has to have a quirky pokemon and he hasn't caught one yet. I highly doubt it will be Hawlucha, because if it is the Hawlucha from the Klefki special, it looks sensibilish. If it's the one from the anime promo, it looks badass, so that leaves two more slots for a quirky pokemon. That being said, the quirky pokemon could also be Phantump, in which case, Slurpuff's not an option (In my opinion).

That being said, let me know what you guys think of my speculation, it's my first post on the forum =D Oh and I lied, one more speculation about Serena: I can see her catching a Flabebe, Espurr --> Meowstic M/F, Absol, Klefki or Carbink (I can't see Klefki AND Carbink), and/or Lucario. The other pokemon are just pure speculation, but Lucario, I think the show likes to troll. They've constantly waved it around since gen iv at every turn and teased it, knowing it's a huge fan favorite, but made absolutely sure Ash would never get it. Therefore, I wouldn't be surprised if the show follows the game with Korrina's two Lucario, but the second Lucario goes to Serena instead of Ash.

Last edited:
The pic with Hawlucha in it sound more like the pic from the last movie with Sableye in it, where everyone thought that Ash will catch it.

If it were just that, the Hawlucha discussion would have been over and done with. However, anime merchandise coming out in a few months points to both the Hawlucha and Fletchinder figures as "Satoshi's [Ash's] Pokemon."

The Hawlucha is also appearing in the Klefki short. It being caught by a main character beforehand isn't far-fetched considering the wide variety of main characters' Pokemon that have appeared in previous shorts (i.e. Brock's Lotad in Gotta Dance, or Misty's Corsola and Ash's Phanpy in Camp Pikachu).

The pic with Hawlucha in it sound more like the pic from the last movie with Sableye in it, where everyone thought that Ash will catch it.

If it were just that, the Hawlucha discussion would have been over and done with. However, anime merchandise coming out in a few months points to both the Hawlucha and Fletchinder figures as "Satoshi's [Ash's] Pokemon."

The Hawlucha is also appearing in the Klefki short. It being caught by a main character beforehand isn't far-fetched considering the wide variety of main characters' Pokemon that have appeared in previous shorts (i.e. Brock's Lotad in Gotta Dance, or Misty's Corsola and Ash's Phanpy in Camp Pikachu).

Just like the merchandise with both Litleo and Pancham with Team Rocket in it huh? The merchandise do not mean much lately.

It has been a while and I am new so is there anything on this discussion that I have never heard and reply to this comment

It has been a while and I am new so is there anything on this discussion that I have never heard and reply to this comment
Well there's the talk about Hawlucha being captured by Ash or one of his friends, based on evidences on the movie posters, merchandise, and episode preview. But nothing is confirmed. There's also some speculations as to whether Froakie will evolve all the way up to Greninja due to the later's recent popularity. I've also heard speculation of Serena is going to catch a Swirlix or a Slurlpuff, but then again Serena's next Pokémon is always a controversy for fans.

Here's hoping that Hawlucha, if it is caught by Ash which the Evidence suggests almost definetely will be, is caught before the 3rd gym battle. And that Fletchling evolves before then as well. Then we can have a 3 V 3 where Ash uses Froakie, Hawlucha and Fletchinder who each get a win :)

Now *Cilan flourish* it's speculation time! =D I'm only doing Ash's team because there's no telling what Serena will get and Cilan's team is really random, and I'm going to speculate Ash's first six kalos pokemon, assuming he does not rotate this season.

Pikachu- Duh

Talonflame- Double Duh

Frogadier/Greninja- I feel like this is a case where either the final form is too awesome so they won't give it to us, or they'll give it to us because it's a fan favorite

Phantump/Skiddo- I know, I know, everyone's said either one or the other, but honestly, I don't know what they're going to do with his grass slot, and that's assuming he has a grass slot this time around. He defied convention by not getting Chespin this season so, who knows? If I had to lean towards one though, I would have to say Phantump. The only reason I would think he wouldn't get it is because... Well frankly Trevenant looks too evil for him. However, that could easily be remedied by not evolving it. I'd say Phantump over Skiddo because they made Alexa a main character for a little while and her Gogoat was heavily featured, so Ash having a Gogoat seems redundant to me (Call me a hypocrite if you want xD). That being said, again, it can be remedied by not evolving it.

Meowstic/Avalugg/Sliggoo/SlurpuffCharizard or some other potential mega evolver- Let me start this slot by saying, even though I put the megas as least likely, it would suck if Ash doesn't get a mega evo, especially considering how much emphasis theyre putting on them. But with the Alan special and the future episodes and movie heavily featuring them, I feel like it's not going to happen until the league where they may or may not premiere Mega Charizard Y (I know his charizard's going to be Y, I just don't know if it will premiere on the anime before the league.) That being said, Meowstic's first because it's more of my personal "want". I would love if he got Male and Serena got Female or vice versa; Avalugg just seems up his alley; Sliggoo is really just grasping at straws, I really can't see him getting any other Kalos pokemon and I think if he got a Goomy, it would evolve, but not all the way. Just because a Goomy in the anime seems too limiting in terms of its body and battling and Ash is all about battling; Slurpuff... I have no idea, I can just see him with it. When I see Slurpuff, I see the Muk/Totodile/Corphish/Gliscor/Gible/Oshawott of the region. In other words, the quirky one. Ash has to have a quirky pokemon and he hasn't caught one yet. I highly doubt it will be Hawlucha, because if it is the Hawlucha from the Klefki special, it looks sensibilish. If it's the one from the anime promo, it looks badass, so that leaves two more slots for a quirky pokemon. That being said, the quirky pokemon could also be Phantump, in which case, Slurpuff's not an option (In my opinion).

That being said, let me know what you guys think of my speculation, it's my first post on the forum =D

Right now I see 2 big type coverage issue's on Ash's team.

1- Ash will have to address the Fairy type in some way. Either by getting a Fairy of his own, or getting a Pokemon that is strong against Fairy types. He has a Fairy type gym battle to wage at some point and he isn't getting through a mid-series gym battle on the back of Pikachu's Iron Tail.
Personally, none of the new Fairy types fit Ash. Sorry but they just don't; image-wise they're too girly and none of them have the stats or movepool to line up with Ash's battling style. Carbink is the only real Fairy option, and with it's limited mobility and link to Diancie I can't see it.
I also have trouble seeing him with a Honedge. It's a Ghost and just doesn't fit image wise.
Dragalge would have really worked as Ash's regional wall and Fairy counter, but he's already passed one up. I guess he could still get one later but I have a hard time "counting" on that to happen.

Honestly; I don't know how the writers are going to address Fairy types with Ash but they need to do something. He can't go into his upcoming gym battle with only 1 move to use.

2- With 2 flying types and a water type; Ash is at a pretty big disadvantage against Electric Pokemon. Which is a problem because he's eventually going to have to face Clemont who has Heliosk, Megneton and Dedenne(not to mention Bunnelby and Chespin to counter Pikachu). Trevanent really fits Ash's team. Gives him type coverage against Electric types and would be a big help against his eventual psychic type gym battle(Fletchinder and Hawlucha provide decent coverage for that gym, but a strong Ghost would make that a slam dunk).

1- Ash will have to address the Fairy type in some way. Either by getting a Fairy of his own, or getting a Pokemon that is strong against Fairy types. He has a Fairy type gym battle to wage at some point and he isn't getting through a mid-series gym battle on the back of Pikachu's Iron Tail.
Personally, none of the new Fairy types fit Ash. Sorry but they just don't; image-wise they're too girly and none of them have the stats or movepool to line up with Ash's battling style. Carbink is the only real Fairy option, and with it's limited mobility and link to Diancie I can't see it.
I also have trouble seeing him with a Honedge. It's a Ghost and just doesn't fit image wise.
Dragalge would have really worked as Ash's regional wall and Fairy counter, but he's already passed one up. I guess he could still get one later but I have a hard time "counting" on that to happen.

Fletchinder/Talonflame is resistant to Fairy-type moves, so that's a plus. He could also just teach them Poison/Steel-type moves. Hawlucha can learn Poison Jab and Steel Wing, Fletchling already knows Steel Wing, and like you already said, Pikachu knows Iron Tail. If he catches a Trevenant it can learn Poison Jab and Venom Drench. Not to mention everything can learn Toxic. He may not have Poison/Steel-type pokémon, but he still has a decent team to go with.

2- With 2 flying types and a water type; Ash is at a pretty big disadvantage against Electric Pokemon. Which is a problem because he's eventually going to have to face Clemont who has Heliosk, Megneton and Dedenne(not to mention Bunnelby and Chespin to counter Pikachu). Trevanent really fits Ash's team. Gives him type coverage against Electric types and would be a big help against his eventual psychic type gym battle(Fletchinder and Hawlucha provide decent coverage for that gym, but a strong Ghost would make that a slam dunk).

Don't forget there's always the possibilty of Greninja. If Froakie ends up evolving, I'm sure it would be the star of the gym. But anyways, I think Ash will do fine against Clemont. Fletchinder's Fire-type will be really helpful with Magneton and Magnemite, and Hawlucha can help because of Heliolisk's Normal-type. Actually, Hawlucha can pretty much take on anything. It's Fighting moves are good against all three. And despite the fact that Electric-type moves are super effective against them, they are good counters.

Honestly; I don't know how the writers are going to address Fairy types with Ash but they need to do something. He can't go into his upcoming gym battle with only 1 move to use.

I don't know, I think you give the show a little too much credit. Don't get me wrong, I agree with you from a logical standpoint, but I'll address your first point by using Johto as an example: In Johto, Steel and Dark type was introduced, but Ash wasn't given a Steel or a Dark type and the fact that he had Cyndaquil when he faced Jasmine was more or less a coincidence. It was still in the original series so Ash had to have all three starters and the fact that Cyndaquil was a Fire type was just lucky. If either him or the creators cared about type matchups, he wouldn't have had Heracross boxed for that battle or used an Oshawott against a Hydreigon (*Eye twitch* Sorry, I digress, that's just my least favorite moment in the entire series), and as far as the Dark type was concerned, it more or less went like, "Hey Ash, did you know that there's a Dark type now?" "Cool! On with the adventure!" Again, you can argue that Heracross could be seen as the Dark counter, but it was never used against a Dark type at the time. That being said, like I said, I agree with you about the fairy thing, I just doubt it's going to happen. And I did consider Carbink when I was speculating, but I dismissed it for two reasons: 1. Carbink is mainly a defensive pokemon, and though Ash has had defensive pokemon before, he believes offense is the best defense so I don't think that would mesh with him. 2. Its body type. The show seems to be against giving Ash pokemon without limbs, hence why he caught a Palpitoad instead of a Tympole (Well, the other reason is because Tympole can't battle out of water, but both reasons kind of go together). Even if the pokemon is slow, like Torterra, the show seems to feel like Ash can't have pokemon that can't maneuver, and even with Torterra they gave it Rock Climb. That's more or less why I said Slurpuff as the only Fairy that I can speculate, because, just like you, I can't see him with any other fairy or fairy counter. We really have similar mindset because I was hoping for Dragalge too, but from the looks of it, it has the same problem as Tympole. If anything, your comment made me think of Sliggoo, or even a Noibat as a more viable option, because Ash has always been the type to never give up when faced with adversity (and that seems to be the theme of the season considering that's how he met Serena and she shouted it at him in the first gym battle) and having a pokemon that has no effect on the new type seems perfect in that regard. He would then have to find a way to work around the Fairy type's advantages like he has had to so many other times. In fact, that's how he came up with Counter Shield

Again, I agree with you on parts of this, but I'll make my response to this one shorter than before. Type coverage means nothing in this anime. If you look at the Sinnoh region, he had four pokemon who were weak against Ice (Staraptor, Torterra, Gliscor, Gible), three of which had a 4x weakness to it. Again, the show's all about either ignoring these kinds of things or having Ash power through it... Or when in doubt, use Pikachu! =D As he has done in so many gym episodes and will do it again in the first two gyms of this season =.=

****NOTE****** This post assumes Hawlucha will be caught by Ash. I am aware that it being caught by Ash is not fact nor confirmed, and my post very well could be for naught. That said, however, this post is more addressing a particular problem that I'm envisioning, and I want to clarify my overall stance on the matter. So it may be assumption, but my argument serves another purpose.

Okay here's my take on Hawlucha.

I like the Pokemon just fine, in fact it probably would've suited Ash more so than Fletchling.

And I'm willing to accept there being double types on Ash's team, even if I would've preferred Noibat simply because Noibat could've been a very good Special attacker for Ash, even more so if it were to evolve. But then there's Alexa....so I can see why that couldn't happen. And Hawlucha is part fighting type.

HOWEVER, I will be forever adamant that if Ash DOES get Hawlucha, he NEVER get another overlapping type, unless one of the types is something he has never had. I don't mean combination wise, I mean straight out has never had. Which means I never want to see Ash catching Litleo. Litleo is even worse than Hawlucha because it technically OFFERS nothing new for Ash, while Hawlucha does. But I sure as hell don't want Ash to catch a Litleo.

I don't care what your opinion on this, because you're free to have your opinion, but I want to make it very clear. Ash is not going to have a crap load of Pokemon this generation. He'll be lucky to even get 6 region Pokemon, meaning this is going to be exactly like Hoenn, with Ash just making the full team quota simply because he's going to at least catch 5 regional Pokemon.

I don't want a team of redundancy. I'm already having trouble accepting Hawlucha as it is, simply because of how bizarre a choice it is, when you already have Fletchling and a Fletchinder coming up before/after Hawlucha capture. Maybe it was Ash's best chance of a fighting type this generation, in perspective of the writers, but I just cannot see WHY Ash HAD to have a fighting type, but I can and will accept it just fine.

But no more redundancy, Hawlucha technically isn't completely redundant so it gets more of a pass, and I agree I always found it hard to come up with a good team for Ash, without bringing bias, and Hawlucha does definitely solve that problem. But I need/want/desire/yearn that Ash's last two Pokemon being completely unrelated to Ash's current Kalos Pokemon (including Hawlucha) and that they are unrelated to each other. And while I would like both to be fairly unique dual types, I'm wondering if Ash could get Goomy, but if he does I'd prefer the OTHER actually be a nice dual type, fairly unique and not related to any current Kalos Pokemon he has.

Hypothetical question:
What if Ash doesn't get Hawlucha can he get Litleo? Because once Fletchling evolves it loses its normal typing

Here's my stance on normal types for Ash. Either it's a pure type, or if it is a dual type, it's a combination that DOES NOT interfere with Ash's other Pokemon.

Example: Litleo will conflict with Fletchinder. A Poison/Normal or Normal/Poison Pokemon (if one existed) would not conflict with anything that Ash currently has or would not have.

The thing about Litleo, it makes Fletchinder/Talonflame pointless. Not redundant, pointless. Why give Ash Fletchling/Fletchinder/Talonflame, if you were going to already give Ash a Litleo later on. Why not give Ash a Noibat instead, at least then Litleo could be justified. I mean think about it. The whole schtick of Fletchling, is that it is the first early bird you can catch (regional bird), first flying type in the Pokedex, that actually has a fairly unique typing in regards to the region's main bird Pokemon. That's the ENTIRE purpose of Fletchling, is that it can evolve into a fire/flying Pokemon. Now, assuming the writers of Pokemon were aware of that, which they should have been since, they just had a Fletchinder using a fire attack in a Battle Chateau episode, and Ash still has yet to catch a hypothetical "Litleo"

I can't understand the purpose it would serve when GameFreak hands you a gift. Limited number of Pokemon, an even limited number of viable options. And you can give Ash a Pokemon that is a fire and flying Pokemon, as well as a bird, and yet the other available Pokemon, SUCK so badly, giving Ash Litleo, is gotten "just because."

If Ash was going to get Litleo as well, his team should've been a Unova style version, as in rotating, I know Unova didn't do it right, but it's the only viable justification for completely pointless Pokemon like Litleo while screwing over available options.

I hope the writers realized this, when choosing Ash's team. Some redundancy is acceptable so long as AT LEAST it offers something new to the table, and doesn't make any Pokemon pointless. Especially when you consider Ash will have at best 6 Kalos Pokemon (5 is more likely, like Hoenn), and there are limited options to even start with.

I mean I would be more than willing to allow Ash to catch another fire type, assuming it of course had something new to offer. Fairy type, poison type, steel type, psychic type, something new. But Litleo doesn't offer anything new, sure Fletchling may lose its normal typing, but normal type is not an exciting type to replace at the cost of sacrificing logic.

If Ash has a limited team, he needs his Pokemon to be as UNIQUE as possible. Which is why I was hoping for so much because 6th generation offered a lot of unique options. But maybe the writers won't go for it. But there's still two options left, and I pray one of them is Phantump.

Pikachu- Duh

Talonflame- Double Duh

That being said, let me know what you guys think of my speculation, it's my first post on the forum =D

Fletchling with Steel Wing and Pikachu with Iron tail. If the next gym is indeed Fairy then at least Ash can resist and hit super effective.

As for Ash getting a fairy.. only ones i can remotely see on his team are Mawhile and Azumaril. First one's remote due to gothic character and second due to froakie as a water type.

Klefky is an option, but remote at best.

Having just seen the 2nd gym battle i think the chances of Ash getting a tyrunt are slim since it is almost a signature Pokemon for the Gym leader. The rock/ice type has shown to be confined to the lab due to temp regulation.

It's getting harder and harder to predict a full team with XY pokemon.

Kanto starters for Serena/Clemont?

Considering Ash has a Charizard and the trio all have a Kalos starter already, do you think Serena and Clemont will get a Kanto starter too?
If they do, I'd say Serena gets a Bulbasaur and Clemont gets a Squirtle and hopefully they will all evolved to their final stage. Perhaps even mega evolve.

Thoughts?

Re: Kanto starters for Serena/Clemont?

Considering Ash has a Charizard and the trio all have a Kalos starter already, do you think Serena and Clemont will get a Kanto starter too?
If they do, I'd say Serena gets a Bulbasaur and Clemont gets a Squirtle and hopefully they will all evolved to their final stage. Perhaps even mega evolve.

Thoughts?
I doubt this will happen, because May already has both had Bulbasaur and Squirtle besides Ash. It would be weird if more protagonists would have the same Pokémon, and I recall some people not being happy with May getting Bulbasaur and Squirtle because Ash already had them. If they want to promote the Mega Evolutions of Venusaur and Blastoise, there are other ways they could show them off.

Fletchling with Steel Wing and Pikachu with Iron tail. If the next gym is indeed Fairy then at least Ash can resist and hit super effective.

As for Ash getting a fairy.. only ones i can remotely see on his team are Mawhile and Azumaril. First one's remote due to gothic character and second due to froakie as a water type.

Klefky is an option, but remote at best.

Having just seen the 2nd gym battle i think the chances of Ash getting a tyrunt are slim since it is almost a signature Pokemon for the Gym leader. The rock/ice type has shown to be confined to the lab due to temp regulation.

It's getting harder and harder to predict a full team with XY pokemon.

In terms of Fairy types, I agree with Klefki, it's unusual, but it'd be a fun choice for him that fits.

As for Tyrunt, he got a Torkoal after his battle with Flannery and he has had Gym Pokémon before like Turtwig, so it's possible that Tyrunt undergoes the same thing and just gets caught later. Having said that, Amaura is likely off the table at this point as that restriction limits it quite a bit.

I am still of the belief that Ash is going to catch a Goomy weather it would evolve is up to speculation then again everything here is speculation. Though what Ash's Sixth pokemon is that up in realm of Schrödinger. Though Skiddo/Phantump/Klefki are probably the best bet at this point

I would love to see Ash catching a Phantump. It would be his first real Ghost-type (Haunter doesn't really count) and personally I think it would be a nice fit. If not Phantump, another potential Grass-type for Ash would be Skiddo.

So.. Ruby and Saphire remakes are on their way, who else thinks that Ash will get at least 1 pokemon from that region in his team.

Back
Top Bottom