• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

Looking it over, and since Ash is unlikely to get certain Pokemon because they've already debuted, I think Ash's basic team is going to be:

Pikachu
Froakie
Fletchinder
Hawlucha
Skiddo
Bergmite

I didn't list any evolutions just the Pokemon that are confirmed, and added two speculations.

I don't like this team, but it seems the most obvious. The only other Pokemon Ash could get is: Carbink, Klefki, or Goomy, but Carbink and Klefki aren't options because of Diancie Movie, and Pikachu short. Goomy looks a bit unusual to give to Ash.

While Skiddo and Bergmite seem to fit perfectly.

Again I hate this team, but it seems the MOST likely. I mean you could argue for Phantump, but since it's likely to show up in the Trevenant episode, it's no longer a viable option. Neither are most of the other Pokemon that have already shown up, or something that conflicts with his already doubled up team. Hawlucha was enough, Litleo for example would be straight up horrible.

I didn't include Honedge simply because I doubt it, especially with it's entire evolutionary line belonging to a character in the Diancie movie.

I could be wrong, would like Phantump to be with Ash, but it's most likely never going to happen, I mean after all we haven't seen Skiddo yet.

So yeah, not exactly happy that this will most likely be Ash's team, evolutions or not.

What makes you think Ash will get a Skiddo and Bergmite? I'm not saying he won't or that it's unlikely I just don't get why you picked those two.

I really hope he doesn't catch a Skiddo, mainly because I find the line boring. Phantump would be so much cooler. Adds a type he's never had. And where did this rule come from that Ash can only catch a pokemon that hasn't debuted previously? By that logic Ash would never have caught Snivy, Palpitoad, Krokorok, Gible, Gligar or Chimchar to name a few.

So whats next for Ash? A Froakie evo or a new capture? I'd go with new capture, Froakie isn't going to evolve this soon.

What makes you think Ash will get a Skiddo and Bergmite? I'm not saying he won't or that it's unlikely I just don't get why you picked those two.

Because those two are the most likely.

I eliminated everything that has already shown up, because while Serena or even Clemont can get Pokemon that has shown up already, Ash's Pokemon would make more sense if they showed up for him to catch, rather than debuting them and then later on Ash gets one. It just doesn't make sense and wouldn't warrant their debuting so early if Ash was going to eventually get one.

I also eliminated any Pokemon that doubles up on type. Hawlucha was the ONE exception if Ash gets another fire type (Litleo) or even a water type (Binacle), his team will be severely disappointing. Sure Binacle has it's rock type, but I don't think that's enough to warrant giving it to Ash.

With those options that leaves:

Skiddo
Phantump
Bergmite
Honedge
Carbink
Goomy
Klefki
Bergmite

Those seem like the ONLY choices Ash has. But let's further eliminate the options.

Phantump- Eliminated because it'll likely show up in the Trevenant episode, if it doesn't show up than it has a fighting chance But since Skiddo is the most typical choice, of course the writers would give Ash Skiddo rather than something unique to Ash in the form of Phantump. I mean Skiddo is a cross between Bayleef and Tauros so it's comfortable for the writers, where as Phantump would be too unique.

Honedge- I eliminated Honedge because I just can never imagine this happening. Honedge is a Pokemon with very limited facial expressions. Yes I know Ash did get Roggenrola, but at least Roggenrola could at least have a personality. Whereas Honedge would be super hard to express any sort of personality given that I seriously doubt it would be able to produce any sort of sound. It could happen, who knows, but I eliminated it because it just doesn't seem like it will happen. Especially since it may be too similar to Yamask or Cofagrigus, and Ash didn't get those (and Honedge is technically worse than them in regards to Pokedex entry), it just seems unlikely Ash will get a Pokemon not capable of displaying any sort of personality. Unless its sheathed form can display more personality than I think.

Carbink- Given that Diancie is related to Carbink, and since there was the whole Diancie movie and all those Carbink, I just cannot imagine Ash with one. It would be weird to see Ash with a Carbink when all of the ones in the movie (as far as I'm aware) could communicate with human language either by speaking/telepathy.

Klefki- I don't know if I could see Klefki given the role it has in the Pikachu short. If I'm not mistaken what I've seen is Klefki is a very magical Pokemon, almost along the lines of Celebi in regards to time travel (different for Klefki of course). And a Pokemon that magical doesn't seem like it will be going to Ash.

Goomy- As much as I would love Ash with Goomy, I'm just not sure if it will happen, and given the final two options, I'm just not seeing Goomy happening, if it does, great but that would leave:

Skiddo- Let me put it this way, Ash is going to battle Clemont, and aside from Phantump the only Pokemon listed that at least has some sort of advantage against Clemont, is Skiddo. I mean yes, there is Goomy, but I really really doubt, Goomy would come before Skiddo or any other possible choice Ash would get. Goomy comes off as a last party member, only way Goomy happens, is if Ash gets another Pokemon really soon (like soon after Korinna), and Ash gets Goomy before battling Clemont. Otherwise, Ash is going to need a Grass type and like I said, Skiddo is more likely than Phantump due to the fact that Skiddo is a combination of Pokemon that Ash has already had. While Phantump would be unique for Ash in many ways, and therefore unlikely. But I hope I'm wrong, I'd really love Phantump.

Bergmite- Since the writers or executive producers aren't even bothering to make things different at all. I mean seriously, why is Ash taking so long to get Pokemon, I mean I won't complain as much if he gets all 6 of his Pokemon before Clemont, but we're getting really, really close. I have NO IDEA why any writer or any executive producer would limit things until the last moment. Gyms are in limited supply, which means battles are extremely limited, since they refuse to have random battles in random episodes (where Ash DOESN'T use Pikachu). All of this leads to a Hoenn Carbon Copy and giving Ash a Bergmite as his last Pokemon, which is closer to Snorunt than Amaura is, and I eliminated Amaura because it already appeared, and that's all of the available ice type options for Ash this generation. So that's why I chose Bergmite. Because I can't eliminate it. I can eliminate other Pokemon, for various reasons. But I can't eliminate Bergmite outside of I don't want Ash with Bergmite. But Bergmite is an ice type, which Ash currently doesn't have on his Kalos team, it greatly mirrors Snorunt, which is basically like Ash getting Corphish when he had Kingler, or all the similar Pokemon he's had before. There's just no way to eliminate reasonably. I could even eliminate Skiddo and Phantump from the list entirely and just say Ash will get 5 Pokemon. Skiddo eliminated because it's the pre-evo of one of Alexa's Pokemon, and again Phantump would be very unique to Ash but also mirrors a type of Pokemon that Jessie of team Rocket has. But I cannot eliminate Bergmite. The only way to eliminate it as an option is the argument that "Ash won't get Bergmite because HE WON'T get Bergmite" but until Ash has 6 Pokemon, or Bergmite is caught by someone else, or has a major role where it's not caught by Ash, I just can't eliminate it right now.

I really hope he doesn't catch a Skiddo, mainly because I find the line boring. Phantump would be so much cooler. Adds a type he's never had. And where did this rule come from that Ash can only catch a pokemon that hasn't debuted previously? By that logic Ash would never have caught Snivy, Palpitoad, Krokorok, Gible, Gligar or Chimchar to name a few.

So whats next for Ash? A Froakie evo or a new capture? I'd go with new capture, Froakie isn't going to evolve this soon.

I'm suggesting this rule because Kalos is UNIQUE, the 6th generation is unique because it introduced the LEAST amount of Pokemon ever in a generation, introduced the least NUMBER of Pokemon lines.

It's that reason alone, why any Pokemon Ash catches, has to debut in that EPISODE. It's completely and utterly redundant especially of the Kalos region to give a Pokemon a major role only for a different one of the same species to be caught later. With so few Pokemon options, only ~30 different Pokemon lines up for grabs (and some are already eliminated) it makes no sense for the way that this series (not the entire Pokemon anime just the Kalos region) has done the way it has, to debut a Pokemon and then later on have it be caught by Ash. Serena and Clemont are exceptions because they aren't the MAIN Character, who does gym battles and battles the most. So Serena getting a Pancham is fine, because unlike Ash, Serena doesn't have limitations to her team. Serena could even get Litleo.

Ash is different because he's not getting a lot of Pokemon this generation (which isn't even up for debate otherwise Ash would have a full team by now, there would be no purpose to Ash catching a lot of Pokemon but their captures so spaced out, that Ash would even catch a Pokemon before the end of 6th generation but doesn't use it at all). Ash is also battling in the league, which means he is going to need as UNIQUE team as reasonable. It's already bad enough his team is mostly weak against electric types, he doesn't need any more Pokemon weak against electric types. He doesn't need any other repeat types because Hawlucha was enough, and Ash getting Litleo wouldn't even remotely make any sort of sense considering that would defeat the purpose of Ash having a Fletchinder. And Ash needs to catch his Pokemon as soon as they appear. It's easy to randomly debut a Pokemon in a generation that introduces a lot of Pokemon only for it to be caught later because for the most part they could've been unique enough to warrant a potential capture in the future. Like Gible or even Gligar, or even Corphish when Ash didn't have a water type. The type distribution of the 6th generation is just plain awful, that only very UNIQUE Pokemon could debut only for it to be caught later. But there are a very limited number of those.

The way everything has been written so far in regards to Ash's team. Ash has to catch Pokemon in that species' debut episode, you could argue Fletchling, BUT Ash did catch the first Fletchling he saw. Ash's Froakie was the first Froakie to appear. And not only that BUT Hawlucha debuted and Ash caught it. So far everything that has debuted for Ash, he gets it. Getting a Pokemon that has already debuted for Ash, doesn't make any sense. Otherwise it defeats the purpose of debuting them so early. This also would exclude evolutions, evolutions don't count because Ash already had those pre-evos BEFORE their evolutions showed up, so Ash getting an evolution of a Pokemon that's already debuted, is perfectly fine. A NEW Pokemon line added to his team just doesn't work. Ash has to catch Pokemon as they debut to him. I might allow some logical leeway for Ash's last capture, but I highly doubt of ALL the Pokemon that has debuted in large roles already would go to Ash, because none of them are unique or special enough to warrant Ash catching them, Serena and Clemont, sure but they aren't in Ash's position of needing certain Pokemon for his battles. Serena and Clemont can afford a boring, redundant team. Ash as a potential league battler, can not. I mean hardcore battles REQUIRE unique enough teams, otherwise they are at huge disadvantages. I mean even Serena becomes some sort of Coordinator, at least contests could allow for redundant teams because contests are about a Pokemon's appeal more so than battling.

About Froakie? While I do agree that Ash's next team change is going to be a new capture, I don't think it is TOO soon for Froakie to evolve, it showed up in the Diancie movie, so it doesn't really matter. Sure Froakie should get some more exposure, but if Ash was able to get Greninja by Olympia that would be really, really nice.

Last edited:
Yea your reasoning is complete conjecture. It's not a rule, it's never been a rule and until Ash fills his team with only pokes that debut in that very episode, it will remain conjecture (but won't become a rule for further generations).

Also, whats this about the writers not making anything different? He hasn't caught the grass starter and the regional bird took the fire spot. That's straight up completely different than all his past teams. And barely anyone predicted Hawlucha and it's one of the most unique pokemon this generation. Also I wouldn't include anything to with the movie in your reasoning.

Ash could catch anything from this region, whether it's debuted or not. He could catch a Tyrunt or a Skrelp or Pancham or anything that's debuted so far. It doesn't matter. The captured pokemon might not even be the focus, something else might debut that ep. Hell Clemont and Ash might trade randomly and Ash could get Chespin. If there was a rule book, it's been thrown out the window this time around.

I also prefer Ash not catching pokemon too fast this time. You get a chance to get to know them, gauge their personalities and they get a bit of the spotlight for a while. Then when someone new comes along it's a welcome addition.

Also why is Honedge eliminated? Because it can't show emotion? At least it has a face. Rogenrolla had no personality apart from jumping up and down but Ash still caught that.

Honestly, i think his last 2 slots are anyone's guess, regardless of whether they have appeared or not. I wouldn't rule out Phantump just yet. Sure, it will most likely make an appearance soon, but probably as a group of Phantump that are all just clones of each other and not as the star pokemon.

Alexa has a Gogoat so a Skiddo would be boring. I can definetely see Bergmite though, but id class it more of a Ice Turtwig than a Snorunt. It can end up his tank like Torterra should have been.

Carbink- Given that Diancie is related to Carbink, and since there was the whole Diancie movie and all those Carbink, I just cannot imagine Ash with one. It would be weird to see Ash with a Carbink when all of the ones in the movie (as far as I'm aware) could communicate with human language either by speaking/telepathy.

Not that I particularly expect Ash to get a Carbink, but the fact that the Carbink in Movie 17 could communicate in human language shouldn't be taken as a precedent for how they'll be portrayed in the regular series. We've seen multiple examples of pokemon that were shown to be able to talk/use telepathy in movies which later didn't have this ability when they appeared in the anime - Zorua and Slowking spring to mind.

Not that I particularly expect Ash to get a Carbink, but the fact that the Carbink in Movie 17 could communicate in human language shouldn't be taken as a precedent for how they'll be portrayed in the regular series. We've seen multiple examples of pokemon that were shown to be able to talk/use telepathy in movies which later didn't have this ability when they appeared in the anime - Zorua and Slowking spring to mind.

While true I was thinking more of along the lines, that because of their relation to Diancie, and how "unique" they were shown and not just "Random Incomprehensible Worshipers" like other possible examples within the Pokemon world, is why they won't give it to Ash.

I mean sure they could create the most "boring" "typical" Carbink, but I can see why the movie Carbink having a special unique relation to Diancie as well as being "genetically" related to Carbink as some weird evolution but not evolution concept for why they won't give one to Ash.

Likewise with the hypothetical Klefki, sure may be not all "Klefki" are magical like the supposed one in the Pikachu short but then I guess it wouldn't matter because if there is some unique special Pokemon, it seems unlikely that Ash would ever get a lesser version of it, while other non Ash trainers can.

Sure Ash has gotten Pokemon before that aired in movies (as species), but never any Pokemon that has a semi big role like the Carbink in the Diancie movie, especially given their special unique status is also a reason why Ash won't likely get a Carbink. Ash has never gotten a Pokemon of a particular species where initially it was portrayed as special and unique BEFORE Ash got one. I'm not saying it's impossible just entirely unlikely.

Ash needs to have 6 Pokemon for the Kalos League (5 Kalos pokemon and Pikachu as always). Since now he got 3 for Kalos and along with Pikachu of course...that makes 4 together for the time being.

I think he'll get at least 3 or 4 more Kalos pokemon. If 3 more, 6 for Kalos (total of 7 with Pikachu)....if 4 more, 7 for Kalos (total of 8 with Pikachu).

He can always call up a couple of his previous Pokemon (besides Pikachu) if needed to.

Last edited:
I know that the chances aren't good at all, but is anyone else hoping that Satoshi will catch the Ohrot in this week's episode? I think it would be kinda cute if it turns out that Ohrot was lonely and wanted a friend, and saw Satoshi training his Pokemon and wanted to be taken under his wing. :<

Unfortunately, Ohrot is probably going to be played out as a horrendous villain.

I'm suggesting this rule because Kalos is UNIQUE, the 6th generation is unique because it introduced the LEAST amount of Pokemon ever in a generation, introduced the least NUMBER of Pokemon lines.

It's that reason alone, why any Pokemon Ash catches, has to debut in that EPISODE. It's completely and utterly redundant especially of the Kalos region to give a Pokemon a major role only for a different one of the same species to be caught later. With so few Pokemon options, only ~30 different Pokemon lines up for grabs (and some are already eliminated) it makes no sense for the way that this series (not the entire Pokemon anime just the Kalos region) has done the way it has, to debut a Pokemon and then later on have it be caught by Ash.
I'm not getting your logic here - the inverse makes more sense - given the tiny amount of new Pokemon, why not double dip on Pokemon that are going to be captured by giving them a separate debut?

It's that reason alone, why any Pokemon Ash catches, has to debut in that EPISODE. It's completely and utterly redundant especially of the Kalos region to give a Pokemon a major role only for a different one of the same species to be caught later. With so few Pokemon options, only ~30 different Pokemon lines up for grabs (and some are already eliminated) it makes no sense for the way that this series (not the entire Pokemon anime just the Kalos region) has done the way it has, to debut a Pokemon and then later on have it be caught by Ash.
I'm not getting your logic here - the inverse makes more sense - given the tiny amount of new Pokemon, why not double dip on Pokemon that are going to be captured by giving them a separate debut?

Because the choices are limited, that it makes no sense to debut a Pokemon species then 30 episodes later and give that same species to a character (Ash specifically, Serena and Clemont don't figure into this). It would defeat the entire purpose of giving said Pokemon to Ash. Because it just implies that they were somehow forced to "debut" that species even though "Ash" was going to get it anyway. It comes off as rushed and sloppy.

But if the options are numerous, then a particular species debuting before another Pokemon of the same species is caught by Ash then it implies that they were always going to give said Pokemon to character from the start and then were somehow forced to debut the species before the capture because they couldn't wait until Ash caught it to debut it.

However with so few Pokemon in a generation. It wouldn't make sense to show off species willy nilly and then later slap on a Pokemon to Ash. It really is sloppy. I already disagreed with the way they debuted Krookodile only ~15 episodes before Ash's Krokorok evolved. And I didn't really care for the Palpitoad cameo the episode right before Ash caught one. But I guess those made sense because Ash could not DEBUT said species as they were for whatever idiotic reason.

But here there's so few Pokemon that for Ash's Pokemon, the species need to debut for Ash to capture them. Because there's one important factor to consider. If Ash was meant to capture a Vivillion for example, why the HELL did he not catch the one in that one episode, where he actually bonded with the species, and could've captured. Thus it stands the reason, that Ash interacting/bonding with certain species of 6th generation Pokemon implies that his own Pokemon will debut before Ash catches them.

I could be wrong, the writers could do it anyway but look at what we have so far-

Ash's Froakie- The first Froakie that showed up was the one that ended up going to Ash.
Ash's Fletchling- Was not the first Fletchling for the audiences but it was Ash's first Fletchling
Ash's Hawlucha- Was the first Hawlucha to show up in the anime.

For Ash in particular (because of who is and his goals), it makes no sense for Ash to capture a Pokemon he's already interacted or bonded with a certain species only for Ash to capture an entirely different species. I might be willing to concede on the Pokemon that other trainer's have because it's not like Ash could've gotten said Pokemon because they weren't wild, but there's still the point, of what's the point of Ash getting something that's already debuted in the series. I mean take Furfrou. What the hell would be the point of Ash getting Furfrou if like six Furfrou already showed up. Or why would Ash get Slyveon when we already had Penelope debuting it and we can all predict Valerie is going to get it as well.

I mean after all if Ash was going to get a Tyrunt, why didn't Hawlucha debut with Korinna since she had one in the games. I think because of how the series is already being written and due to the limited options therefore making species more unique or special, unless they really need to force a new species down our throat which couldn't be the case, there's no reason to believe that Ash will indeed capture a Pokemon that has already had a big debut, especially since he's doing gyms and battling more than Serena and Clemont, that I just don't think it's right for Ash's character to suffer from not having all that time with that same species of Pokemon.

Serena and Clemont don't matter as much, which is why Serena is getting Pancham (if she really is getting one, without a doubt), because Serena doesn't need to worry about all that time she missed with her Pokemon. With Ash it actually feels like the writers are purposely trying to put him at a disadvantage. At least if Ash catches Pokemon that debut at the same time, at least then one could argue that even if time-wise they are at a disadvantage, Ash still caught said Pokemon when the species debuted.

Last edited:
The sunglasses are would be interesting if it wasn't the third time a Pokemon with them has joined the group.

I'm happy that she'll be obtaining another Pokémon, though!

Yay! finally Serena gets a new mon, I wonder when is this going to air? December, early 2015?

I know, right? She's gone far too long without her team being altered in any way. But we can't be too sure until the episode airs in Japan now, can we?

Wait, so because a toy is released, then that automatically means she gets a Pancham? And if so, that will be yet another sunglasses owner. Why can't they carry around something else, like a knapsack or vest. Or some really neat shoes, or a hat!

Wait, so because a toy is released, then that automatically means she gets a Pancham?
Captures have been spoiled through toys before. One example would be Ash's Gible.

The Gible got a toy called 'Ash's Gible' and its description said Ash would get it. So yes. it's highly likely, almost confirmed that the Pancham will go to Serena otherwise the description of the toy would make no sense. But yes, I agree about the glasses part. xD

Back
Top Bottom