• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

Does it bother anyone else that three of Ash's Pokemon (on his current team) are Flying type?

Like, I just wish he'd have a more balanced team. But the three flyers; Fletchinder, Hawlucha, and Noibat, are just too much.

Not really.
They might be flying types; but their secondary typing actually gives them pretty good coverage, especially when supported by Frogadier and Pikachu.
I'm a bit anxious to see what they pick to fill his last slot, but I like what they're doing with his team so far.

Does it bother anyone else that three of Ash's Pokemon (on his current team) are Flying type?

Like, I just wish he'd have a more balanced team. But the three flyers; Fletchinder, Hawlucha, and Noibat, are just too much.

It kinda does bother me, also considering this could have been avoided, if the writers didn't release Goodra. He would have had 2 flying types then.

Yeah, I loved him having a Goodra. It didn't bother me so much when it was just Hawlucha and Fletchinder, especially given their huge differences. Especially since Hawlucha is a good character and Pokemon for Ash.

I'm still VERY surprised that we're heading for the 7th gym and Ash still doesn't have a full team.

This happened in AG too when he didn't get his 6th member, Snorunt, until just before the Sootopolis gym battle. I can see him similarly making a late capture in XY.

Either that or the 6th slot is being kept free for something else...

Its a flashback episode, not a full on episode it seems. Clemont is remembering how he met his bunnelby from what I've seen

Goodra was released because they didn't want it to overshadow his other Pokemon, being the obedient powerhouse that it is.

At first I was upset with Ash's trio of flyers, but lately the concept has been growing on me (especially after that dedicated flying-type episode). It does help that they each have a separate additional type as well. And when it comes to Hawlucha, it may or may not be seen as a conventional flyer altogether. Although their move-sets do leave something to be desired.

Goodra was released because they didn't want it to overshadow his other Pokemon, being the obedient powerhouse that it is.

Looking at how the episodes have played out so far, it's pretty obvious they didn't have to release Goodra.

Because Noibat has only ever gotten two focused episodes, it's capture and the following episode. And it's been about 2 months since those episode, or at least 8 episodes.

With NO upcoming episodes seeming revolving around training episode, for probably an additional 2 months, Noibat is increasingly becoming pointless and useless.

Therefore had Ash kept Goodra, nothing would be different, Goodra would barely have appeared, and who knows maybe Ash could have gotten his final Pokemon in Noibat's place, and still nothing would've changed.

I'm very upset that they gave Ash an egg Pokemon and yet they seem intent on not doing anything with it. There have been so many episodes where it could've gotten used and focused, and Ash could be at least SEEN training it but we don't.

And with the Moltres, Bunnelby, Tyrunt, Eevee episodes coming up, that's another four weeks gone. And there's no guarantee that the Farfetch'd Blastoise, Sableye, or Meowstic episodes will revolve around Noibat either, so that's ANOTHER 4 weeks with nothing.

It's quite clear Goodra could've easily stayed, since it wouldn't have done much either thus any fears of it overshadowing the other Pokemon are unjustified. It's sad the only reason they gave Ash a Goodra was because of the gym battle against Clemont.

And I really wanted to like Noibat too, because it was adorable. But if the producers and writers don't give a shit about it, then I don't have to feel obligated either.

And with the Moltres, Bunnelby, Tyrunt, Eevee episodes coming up, that's another four weeks gone. And there's no guarantee that the Farfetch'd Blastoise, Sableye, or Meowstic episodes will revolve around Noibat either, so that's ANOTHER 4 weeks with nothing.

Noibat may get some focus on the Tyrunt episode, because both are newborn Dragon-types.

However I agree that the writers aren't doing enough with it and Noibas has high chances of end up being underdeveloped, I don't know what was happening on their minds when they choose that a baby Pokemon born between badges 6 & 7 was the right thing to do. A lot of people think Axew and Scraggy were underdeveloped, and they appeared in a ton of BW episodes. Chances of Noibat going the Phanpy route are slim.

Keep in mind that Noibat still can develop after the league is done, or during league training? Or it could even pull an Aipom and follow Ash to the next region if they continue using Ash as a protagonist. It may just be hard to come up with something new to use a storyline for Noibat, something that hasn't already been done with a baby pokemon.

Noibat may get some focus on the Tyrunt episode, because both are newborn Dragon-types.
I initially thought that until we found out it was a Bonnie centric episode, not sure how I feel about Noibat getting focus in a Bonnie centric episode.

Keep in mind that Noibat still can develop after the league is done, or during league training? Or it could even pull an Aipom and follow Ash to the next region if they continue using Ash as a protagonist. .

What would be the point? I mean I suppose if Noibat had a split evolution in generation 7, then I could see it as a possibility. But it would be wasteful, because who knows what Ash's FINAL Pokemon is going to end up being, and therefore we're lucky if Ash even uses anything outside of Pikachu, "Greninja" Talonflame and Hawlucha in the league. Like Goodra.

It may just be hard to come up with something new to use a storyline for Noibat, something that hasn't already been done with a baby pokemon
30 seconds of training Noibat and showing off its moves, even 30 second battles, would be better than absolutely nothing.

So maybe Ash's Frogadier could evolve into a Greninja in the future.

【楽天市場】2016年カレンダー/ポケットモンスター/16CL-0010 [10/3 発売]:サプライズ2

GkoYcBB.jpg

Also looks as though that Quilladin merchandise may not be an indication of Clemont's Chespin evolving after all, given that Greninja's shown here instead of Frogadier. Top trolling.

Also looks as though that Quilladin merchandise may not be an indication of Clemont's Chespin evolving after all, given that Greninja's shown here instead of Frogadier. Top trolling.

But Quilladin was listed on the picture where all of the main VA's from the XY Series put there signature next to the characters that they voiced, so it would be weird if it belonged to someone like Mairin (in my opinion). I think we should take that calendar with a grain of salt.

But Quilladin was listed on the picture where all of the main VA's from the XY Series put there signature next to the characters that they voiced, so it would be weird if it belonged to someone like Mairin (in my opinion). I think we should take that calendar with a grain of salt.

Episodes are produced 5-6 months in advance. Remember that infamous cake which spoiled a bunch of captures and evolutions all the way to an episode that aired this March? That cake was prepared for the anime staff and employees in time for XY's anniversary last October.

The poinf is that Chespin may not evolve this year (as the calendar suggests, as it only depicts events up until its commercial date, which should be this October) but it may evolve sometime early next year, which should be up until late March. The voice actors are probably already starting to work on episodes that feature Quilladin. Why else would it be in there?

As to why Ueda listed his role as Frogadier, perhaps it was meant to avoid any spoilers related to this event (and the fiasco from last year). This new VA probably has Quilladin as his only major role.

Last edited:

Episodes are produced 5-6 months in advance. Remember that infamous cake which spoiled a bunch of captures and evolutions all the way to an episode that aired this March? That cake was prepared for the anime staff and employees in time for XY's anniversary last October.

The poinf is that Chespin may not evolve this year (as the calendar suggests, as it only depicts events up until its commercial date, which should be this October) but it may evolve sometime early next year, which should be up until late March. The voice actors are probably already starting to work on episodes that feature Quilladin. Why else would it be in there?

As to why Ueda listed his role as Frogadier, perhaps it was meant to avoid any spoilers related to this event (and the fiasco from last year). This new VA probably has Quilladin as his only major role.

If they really cared about spoilers all that much, then they wouldn't have let Quilladin be listed, even if it's the VA's only major role. I don't think letting people know about a VA's upcoming major role would trump a spoiler that could be 5-6 months away. But regardless, I think that picture with the VA's signatures should be looked at as more credible then a calendar with some Pokemon on it, especially when previous calendars weren't exactly credible when it comes to what Pokemon are in the main cast. Look at 2010's calendar during the Diamond and Pearl series, it had a Chimchar, Turtwig, Mew and a Jirachi. Chimchar had already evolved, Turtwig had already evolved, Mew never appeared in DP except for one appearance in a Team Rocket fantasy and I don't think a Jirachi ever appeared in DP.

Or it could be as simple as Ueda DOESN'T voice Greninja, but one of the others already listed does voice Greninja.

The problem I think is both Chespin and Quilladin are both listed. Is Chespin's VA really just doing minor roles, but was more well known as Chespin, so that's why they put an autograph on there?

Though this could counter my argument that Frogadier is listed, but Greninja being voiced by someone else?

So we'll go with Greninja could've been voiced by someone else, which is why it wasn't listed. Not sure why Ueda didn't list under Wobbuffet though.

This could easily be true, remember, the autograph displaying Quilladin could easily indicate that at the TIME the autograph was made, Chespin had evolved. It doesn't mean that Frogadier has to evolve until after Chespin, because Greninja could've been voiced by someone else, and not all VAs and roles were listed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom