• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

I don’t think a Minior would be that gimmicky, to be honest. If all, it would be an interesting twist by having Ash forced to adapt his style depending of how healthy his potential Minior would be.

I could see it working in a way similar to Cilan’s Crustle, maybe alongside the whole Shell Smash strategies which would capitalize on Ash’s speedy strategies.

Alolan Sandshrew is another interesting choice, though, especially if it worked on the Hail + Slush Rush combo.

I don’t think a Minior would be that gimmicky, to be honest. If all, it would be an interesting twist by having Ash forced to adapt his style depending of how healthy his potential Minior would be.

I could see it working in a way similar to Cilan’s Crustle, maybe alongside the whole Shell Smash strategies which would capitalize on Ash’s speedy strategies.

Alolan Sandshrew is another interesting choice, though, especially if it worked on the Hail + Slush Rush combo.
It's mostly it's form change. Ash typically does not catch Pokemon that have form changes.

One thing I'd like to see is Ash catching a Pokemon the old fashioned way, by actually battling, weakening, then throwing the poke ball to catch it.

As of lately all of the recent Pokemon on Ash's team have willingly decided to be with Ash without much of a battle.

If I remember correctly, Fletchling was the last Pokemon that Ash caught the old fashioned way. Litten doesn't count because he already knew that he was going to go with Ash, and didn't even put that much of a battle.

Doesn't mean that Ash is gonna catch Minior. It's much more fitting for Sophocles or Lillie, in my opinion.

You are pretty dead set on your opinion that he won't capture Minior. Just because of this, I hope Ash catches a Snubbull or a Jigglypuff and decides to spend his afternoon having tea parties and playing with dolls.

I think Ash's next capture will occurr on Ula'Ula' island, and I want to think it will be a steal type (A-Sandshrew/Slash). But with the way the series is going, he'll capture a bloody Dhelmise and well... have fun with that.

It's much more fitting for Sophocles or Lillie, in my opinion.

Well... I don’t think Sophocles is going to get another capture anytime soon, since his team is quite underdeveloped, and Charjabug has barely shown any personality. Not to mention that Minior isn’t his speciality type (I'd have excused this if we were discussing a steel type, since there's the Moylane storyline).

And... Lillie and Minior do not mix imo... in game, all Pokemon Lillie uses are fairy types (except Nebby) so I guess we’ve to agree to disagree there.

I get that you want Ash to capture sandshrew, but that doesn’t make Minior any less likely.
A Pokemon that hasn’t appeared yet objectively has a higher chance of capture than a Pokemon that hasn’t appeared yet.

I'd be personally fine with either capture, but it seems strange for Ash to have zero interaction with a Sandshrew in a random filler if he were to get one later. A capture by Ash makes for a much more marketable first appearance than a filler if Sandshrew were to be captured by Ash.

Well... I don’t think Sophocles is going to get another capture anytime soon, since his team is quite underdeveloped, and Charjabug has barely shown any personality. Not to mention that Minior isn’t his speciality type (I'd have excused this if we were discussing a steel type, since there's the Moylane storyline).

And... Lillie and Minior do not mix imo... in game, all Pokemon Lillie uses are fairy types (except Nebby) so I guess we’ve to agree to disagree there.

I get that you want Ash to capture sandshrew, but that doesn’t make Minior any less likely.
A Pokemon that hasn’t appeared yet objectively has a higher chance of capture than a Pokemon that hasn’t appeared yet.

I'd be personally fine with either capture, but it seems strange for Ash to have zero interaction with a Sandshrew in a random filler if he were to get one later. A capture by Ash makes for a much more marketable first appearance than a filler if Sandshrew were to be captured by Ash.
Well, Ash losing a competition to another trainer for a Gible didn't stop him from catching one later. And, debuting already does not mean that the Pokemon can't be caught!

Well, Ash losing a competition to another trainer for a Gible didn't stop him from catching one later. And, debuting already does not mean that the Pokemon can't be caught!

Again, where did I say that Sandshrew cannot be caught?

I think I’ve stated it enough times that Sandshrew can be caught. It’s odds are lower, and it’s an established fact since most of Ash's captured Pokémon are have their debut appearances in the capture episode.

Well, that’s an established fact that Ash's captured Pokemon's first episode is typically the species' debut. I don’t think you can argue with plain statistics...
Noibat, Snivy, Tepig, Palpitoad, Gible, Treecko, Corphish, Torkoal, and all of the Johto starters. None of these Pokemon debuted with Ash. On the companion's side, you've got Pancham and Corsola as well though those are the only ones that come to mind for the companions. It is possible for a Pokemon to make it's official debut before being captured. It happens more often than you think.

Where it becomes a pattern is when the episode focuses on the Pokemon in question. Ash's fifth probably isn't going to be Passimian, for example, because we already got an episode focusing on Passimian. If Ash was going to catch it, odds are he would have caught it then.

Alolan Sandshrew has debuted, but that episode didn't focus on Alolan Sandshrew, so it is still fair game.

It is possible for a Pokemon to make it's official debut before being captured.

And I haven’t dismissed Sandshrew yet...
I've stated time and time again that Sandshrew CAN be caught, but I just find it’s chances lower than a 'brand new' Pokémon that hasn’t been showcased yet.

I'm getting tired of saying that again and again at this point.

Honestly, any non-Legendary Pokémon has a shot at being an Ash’s capture. Those things like statistics and patterns are just a pre-configured mindset of people looking for a way to predict something, which don’t necessarily apply for the anime as it has broken “patterns” many and many times before (like BW breaking the Dark “phobia”, for example).

I bet almost no one expected Ash to get “Kukui’s” Rockruff, for example, because it wasn’t established at any point that it was a wild Pokémon and Game!Kukui has both Rockruff and Lycanroc in the games. Sure, a trading happened in the past, but there was never a case of gifting a Pokémon in the anime between the main cast.

Personally, I don’t see Alolan Sandshrew or Minior any more unlikely to be caught. They both have similar odds, imo.

Lana didn't catch Dewpider. I'm furious. I just hope that Lana is not the first companion to never have a team change.
I honestly think she might. The writers just don't seem to care about her anymore for whatever reason.

I'm just sad that my favorite starter is pretty much getting screwed over entirely because it's not Ash's Pokemon. Again.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom