• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

I hope that Lana gets a team change sometime in the future. She might end up going down as the worst and most useless main character in the franchise's history, possibly even more than Max.
And I haven’t dismissed Sandshrew yet...
I've stated time and time again that Sandshrew CAN be caught, but I just find it’s chances lower than a 'brand new' Pokémon that hasn’t been showcased yet.

I'm getting tired of saying that again and again at this point.
I honestly hate this argument. Debuting already does not lower a Pokemon's chances of being caught.

I hope that Lana gets a team change sometime in the future. She might end up going down as the worst and most useless main character in the franchise's history, possibly even more than Max.

I honestly hate this argument. Debuting already does not lower a Pokemon's chances of being caught.
Why is Max hated?

Why is Max hated?
For being useless and not doing anything. Lana will be in the same boat if she doesn't get another capture.
I've addressed this exact statement of yours before so just read back to find my opinion on this line of yours.
You can't argue with statistics. Ash has caught many Pokemon after their respective species debuted. He caught all 3 Johto starters, Torkoal, Corphish, Gible, Snivy, and Noibat after their species' debut, so why can't it be the same here?

You can't argue with statistics. Ash has caught many Pokemon after their respective species debuted. He caught all 3 Johto starters, Torkoal, Corphish, Gible, Snivy, and Noibat after their species' debut, so why can't it be the same here?

But the overwhelming majority have been the species’ debut.
And if you’ve bothered to read my posts I’ve said that SANDSREW IS A POSSIBLITY.

Compare the debut captures vs first random appearance captures.
The first is the overwhelming majority.

The second case CAN apply to sandshrew but it’s FACTUALLY unlikely compared to a new Pokémon.

If you’ve got nothing new to argue this is where I end it.
I’m sick of moving in circles and repeating myself.

But the overwhelming majority have been the species’ debut.
And if you’ve bothered to read my posts I’ve said that SANDSREW IS A POSSIBLITY.

Compare the debut captures vs first random appearance captures.
The first is the overwhelming majority.

The second case CAN apply to sandshrew but it’s FACTUALLY unlikely compared to a new Pokémon.

If you’ve got nothing new to argue this is where I end it.
I’m sick of moving in circles and repeating myself.
You did say that it has less of a chance because it already debuted and have argued that Ash should instead catch Minior because it hasn't debuted yet.

So, do we count Bebenomu as official part of Satoshi's team? Will he use it in island trials?

So, do we count Bebenomu as official part of Satoshi's team? Will he use it in island trials?
Yes. Ash caught Poipole and it's an official member of Ash's team, marking his first ever capture of a Poison-type Pokemon since the OS. Now, on to his last capture. What will it be?

Out of the Pokemon which haven’t made their debut yet, Minior is most likely to be Ash's Capture imo.
If he gets Sandshrew or not is a different story. (And I don’t want to delve into this argument again since I've given my reasoning and it’s not getting anywhere).

I was considering Jangmo-o, but I feel that it’s development may be lacklustre due to being a 3 stage line, and a Pseudo. Sun/Moon series isn’t particularly battle-heavy, and a pseudo's development will be more realistic if it’s a battle heavy series. This is assuming that the Jangmo-o fully evolves. If it doesn’t/or stops at Hakamo-o stage then it might have a chance but I don’t think they'll give Ash 2 unevovled Pokemon (Rowlet most likely will not evolve since all it does is sleep).

Ribombee is out of question imo since it doesn’t seem fit with Ash. It'll blend much better with Lillie imo.

The most likely candidates are (imo): Minior > Jangmo-o > Alolan Sandshrew

(I've got the feeling that they might not give Ash an Alolan form, but that’s purely personal. And they're not particularly fond of stone evolutions for Ash (See: Pikachu and Thunder Stones). I'm pretty sure Gliscor's the only Pokemon to use an item to evolve owned by Ash.)

It'll be unrealistic for Rowlet to evolve imo. It’s been EXTREMELY passive, and shaping up to be the comedy starter. It might evolve into Dartrix, but not further.

As for sinister arrow raid, I think it could be showcased by a league rival. Or they might simply skip the Z Move. (Alolan Raichu has appeared 2 times with no mention of its signature Z-Move).

Torracat is evolving imo. It is currently the battle-oriented starter, and we might be in for an Incineroar vs Incineroar battle since it doesn’t seem like it’s rivial with Kukui's Incineroar is a one time thing.

It'll be unrealistic for Rowlet to evolve imo. It’s been EXTREMELY passive, and shaping up to be the comedy starter. It might evolve into Dartrix, but not further.

As for sinister arrow raid, I think it could be showcased by a league rival. Or they might simply skip the Z Move. (Alolan Raichu has appeared 2 times with no mention of its signature Z-Move).
I don't think that Rowlet is a gagmon It shows no traits associated with gagmons. It doesn't have a brash, abrasive, confrontational personality. It also doesn't run away scared from bigger Pokemon.

I don't think that Rowlet is a gagmon It shows no traits associated with gagmons. It doesn't have a brash, abrasive, confrontational personality. It also doesn't run away scared from bigger Pokemon.

There isn’t a personality code set in stone for 'gagmons'. They just have to be used in comedy a lot. Rowlet basically exists for sleeping and the occasional comedic relief.
It has very less battle experience compared to its teammates.

The biggest indicator of evolution imo is the desire to battle and get stronger, which Rowlet shows 0 of.

There isn’t a personality code set in stone for 'gagmons'. They just have to be used in comedy a lot. Rowlet basically exists for sleeping and the occasional comedic relief.

The biggest indicator of evolution imo is the desire to battle and get stronger, which Rowlet shows 0 of.
Rowlet already has its own Z-Move and has tons of battle experience under its belt. It's only loss so far is to Totem Gumshoos.

Neither did Bounsweet. Didn't prevent it from evolving.

Both Turtwig and Chimchar fully evolved, despite not even reaching their second stages until around the halfway point of their sagas. If it wasn't too late for them, it's not too late for Rowlet, either. And before you argue battle experience, it's not like Rowlet is a terrible battler. Hell, it has a better record than Litten overall, and Litten still evolved.

If anything, I do think it's somewhat suspicious that Dartrix hasn't debuted yet, and while I know Quilladin took forever to debut in XY as well, Chespin's evolutions were also extremely unpopular. Rowlet's evolutions are not.

Oh, and Lana wouldn't be on Max's level of uselessness if she doesn't catch another Pokemon or Popplio doesn't evolve. At least she actually has a Pokemon, unlike Max. She'd probably be more on Bonnie's level, which is still pathetic. At least Bonnie got to bond with a legendary, and because she was a kid, there was no expectation for her to catch a Pokemon anyway.

Last edited:
And before you argue battle experience, it's not like Rowlet is a terrible battler. Hell, it has a better record than Litten overall, and Litten still evolved.

I'll disagree there- Rowlet may have more formal battles, but Litten trained on a regular basis with Lycanroc, while Rowlet was sleeping.

I think Rowlet might evolve into Dartrix, but Decidueye is unlikely imo.

I'll disagree there- Rowlet may have more formal battles, but Litten trained on a regular basis with Lycanroc, while Rowlet was sleeping.

I think Rowlet might evolve into Dartrix, but Decidueye is unlikely imo.
And? We've had plenty - plenty - of examples in the past of a Pokemon evolving despite not doing much battling or training. I just brought up Bounsweet in this saga, for example. And while I admit my memory isn't the best with regards to this, I can think of plenty of other examples in other sagas. Noibat, Goomy, Fennekin, Roggenrola, Sewaddle, I don't recall Dwebble doing much before it evolved, Snorunt, Torchic's probably the most egregious example as it evolved with practically zero battle experience and no training whatsoever since May was focusing on Beautifly and Skitty at the time.

A huge problem here is that there are so many fan-made patterns out there that the writers would have to break one or more of them for team changes to occur. "No Decidueye because Rowlet never battles, and it's too popular." "No Incineroar because Kukui has one." "No Primarina because Lana is an underdeveloped background character, and it's oh-so-obvious the Seafolk will be back to debut Primarina." "No Alolan Sandshrew because it's just an old Pokemon with a palette swap." etc. And if all these fan-made patterns are true, welp.... Naganadel and Vikavolt as the only remaining team changes in the saga confirmed as those are the only ones not breaking any fan-made patterns.

Back
Top Bottom