• ME encounters a spooky skeletal dragon. Watch here as he shouts physics at it, in the hopes of preventing it from KOing itself.
  • The Anime and Manga staff has posted a PSA regarding Go and how we'll handle future cases involving him from now onwards.

We strongly recommend checking out this thread.

Thank you in advance.
  • All content from the former Roleplaying Games forum has been merged into the Writers' Workshop forum. You can find more information in this thread.

We hope to see you roleplaying away soon!
  • The World Beyond Restructure is now finished! Check out the update here!
  • It's time for the Writer's Workshop Summer event: our second themed one-shot competition! Check out the sign-up thread here!
  • Hey everyone! The Writer's Workshop is hosting an exciting event, Trainers of Fanfiction! It's a community event focused around your characters!

Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

Flame Trainer
Reaction score
Actually, it is. Squirtle Squad's Japanese name has the same suffix that's used in villainous team names.
By "Team Squirtle" I mean the "Team Squirtle" seen in this episode EP106 - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia, which I made incredibly clear. And again, it’s pretty clear I was referring to the dub names so I’m not sure if you have any substantive point there.

The Squirtle Squad which Ash's Squirtle belongs to doesn’t have a mandate to stay in the same evolution stage, whereas these teams seen in the episode are classed by the evolution stage. They’re clearly not the same entities and the rules of one do not apply to the other.

We've also had groups of Pokémon being lead by their evolved form in the past. A Venusaur lead a bunch of Ivysaur in Bulbasaur's Mysterious Garden, a Blastoise was the leader of an island of Squirtle and Wartortle. Toucannon lead the flock of Pikipek and Trumbeak was the second in command.

Squirtle Squad is an informal name, and when was it even called by name last? If the writers can jump through hoops to have Ash use Mr. Mime, Squirtle evolving is fairly minor in comparison if the writers want it to happen for some reason.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Or they can just remember Gary exists. He has a Blastoise. I don't know who will have Venusaur because Ash's refused evolution. May has one but if she didn't appear in XY, she won't appear in SS.

Reaction score
Or they can just remember Gary exists. He has a Blastoise. I don't know who will have Venusaur because Ash's refused evolution. May has one but if she didn't appear in XY, she won't appear in SS.
I don't think May's coming back either but I don't understand your logic about how Gary has higher chances of returning compared to her just because May didn't appear in X&Y? Gary hasn't appeared since DP so why is he more likely to return?

Not Dead
Reaction score
Because Gary is Ash's first rival and Oak's grandson. May is just one of many past companions, and her Venusaur merely got a few seconds of screentime.

Reminder that there is plenty of merchandise featuring the base Kanto starters, not just their evolutions.

Reaction score
Maybe they are Kalos related
Blastoise - Tierno
Charizard - Trevor
Venusaur - Shauna

The Prince is Back!
Reaction score
I think Ash or Go could catch the Gigantamax Drednaw that first appeared in today's episode.

An Ice Alolan Ninetales
Reaction score
Having used Drednaw in Sword, I would love to see Ash catch it

An Ice Alolan Ninetales
Reaction score
I think that no one will catch Drednaw.
Time will tell I guess

The summary for SS016 mentions Go dealing with a Cubone and a Mankey

Wonder if he'll end up catching both, if not he'll probably catch Cubone based on the summary of his interactions

Young Battle Trainer
Reaction score
I don't think that Ash will have any of the Galar starters at this point.

Reaction score
I don't think that Ash will have any of the Galar starters at this point.
There's nobody else who can get Grookey and Sobble. At least one has to go to Ash for marketing purposes.

Go isn't going to do anything with them, he doesn't battle.