• All members are allowed to express their opinions, no matter how unpopular, so long as they respect others and do not claim their opinion is the only valid opinion. While we understand that there is debate regarding Goh, someone posting an opinion you disagree with does not give you the right to attack them or report the content for trolling/baiting. This notice will serve as a 0-point warning and as such, Anime & Manga staff reserve the right to jump immediately to point warnings. For more information regarding our stance on arguments and debates, see this PSA.
  • If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.

Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

Flame Trainer
Reaction score
Amateur (wild pokémon) vs. professional (trained pokémon) is a different case, though.
What’s your point? Wild Pokemon have access to elemental moves, trained Pokemon have an access to elemental moves, they’ve got enough resilience not to die if they get hit by moves spewed by other Pokemon. And many wild Pokemon like to battle.

If you’re talking about the power gap in case of wild Pokemon vs trained ones, the wild Pokemon are resilient enough to take the moves. At most they’ll faint. Hardly damaging “living, breathing creatures”. Pokemon recover relatively easily from even the harshest of battles, and many enjoy that.

my opinions don't count
Reaction score
Do people really not remember how Ash caught his Caterpie, or Krabby, or Starly, or Brock his Zubat? Even though it's annoying that Gou does this basically every episode, it's unfair to completely bash him for doing something that other main characters did previously and got away with.

Awesome Fire Starter
Reaction score
Do people really not remember how Ash caught his Caterpie, or Krabby, or Starly, or Brock his Zubat? Even though it's annoying that Gou does this basically every episode, it's unfair to completely bash him for doing something that other main characters did previously and got away with.
Most of those cases were Early Installment Weirdness, and with Starly, Ash ended up bonding with it and proving that he was a good Trainer for it.

Reaction score
The fact that you could only recall 4 previous examples from the entirety of the show's history of something that Gou has done with almost every single one of his 20+ captures in the span of only 13 episodes shows why this is a problem. I'm fine with Gou catching Pokemon without battling them every now and then (especially if they're Pokemon that are generally weak), but the fact that he's consistently doing it with almost all of his captures and refuses to battle the Pokemon when he faces difficulty in catching it (except in the bug-catching episode) is what frustrates me the most.

Reaction score
The fact that you could only recall 4 previous examples from the entirety of the show's history of something that Gou has done with almost every single one of his 20+ captures in the span of only 13 episodes shows why this is a problem. I'm fine with Gou catching Pokemon without battling them every now and then (especially if they're Pokemon that are generally weak), but the fact that he's consistently doing it with almost all of his captures and refuses to battle the Pokemon when he faces difficulty in catching it (except in the bug-catching episode) is what frustrates me the most.
Only 3 actually, since Zubat doesn't count, since Brock caught it off-screen, so we don't know if he fought it or not.

Awesome Fire Starter
Reaction score
Only 3 actually, since Zubat doesn't count, since Brock caught it off-screen, so we don't know if he fought it or not.
I think a battle would have been noticed. My theory is that he caught one that had been weakened by Pikachu's attack.

Reaction score
Trouble with Go catching so many Pokemon to me is like Ash did in Unova, they don't get so much interaction with their trainer or on-screen (cough Palpitoad cough) and can become easily forgetable
Difference is, this series isn’t even trying to give all of Go’s Pokémon equal screen time where as Black and White sort of tried and failed hard.

Awesome Fire Starter
Reaction score
Difference is, this series isn’t even trying to give all of Go’s Pokémon equal screen time where as Black and White sort of tried and failed hard.
Which is probably due to the sheer quantity of them that he's catching. They know that many Pokémon couldn't possibly receive equal development, so they leave that only to a chosen few.

Doesn't make it any better, if anything then it downgrades the thrill of seeing a Pokemon getting captured (much less the actual capture itself).
I wasn't defending it. I was just merely stating my theory of what the situation is like it is.

Just Your Average Admin
Reaction score
Okay, everyone, general reminder that this thread is to discuss about potential captures of the various characters and whether some Pokémon will evolve/be released, not to be used as a soapbox to complain about Gou and his capture-based goal.

Thank you and carry on.

Reaction score
The sixth slot is probably for Grookey/Sobble, but judging by it not being teased so far outside of general merch, it might be a while away. Shame.
tbh, we might get them both, since Mr Mime might not be a permanent team member.

Young Battle Trainer
Reaction score
I think that Ash catching Riolu would lead to continuity issues. They would have to reference Ash's aura abilitiea, otherwise this saga will be retconned to be in an AU where Ash doesn't have aura.

Awesome Fire Starter
Reaction score
Given that the merch seems to highlight Alcremie and Morpeko, I could see those becoming proper teammates for Go, instead of just run-of-the-mill captures. Morpeko especially would make sense, given that since D&P, one of Ash's traveling companions has always caught and used the regional Pikaclone.

Reaction score
Given that the merch seems to highlight Alcremie and Morpeko, I could see those becoming proper teammates for Go, instead of just run-of-the-mill captures. Morpeko especially would make sense, given that since D&P, one of Ash's traveling companions has always caught and used the regional Pikaclone.
I think it's more likely that Marnie eventually gets introduced and becomes a recurring character. Yamper kinda already fulfills the "cute Electric Pokemon who isn't Pikachu" role, so Gou catching Morpeko as a proper teammate feels a bit redundant in terms of the main cast, especially once Marnie and her partner Morpeko are introduced.

Awesome Fire Starter
Reaction score
I think it's more likely that Marnie eventually gets introduced and becomes a recurring character. Yamper kinda already fulfills the "cute Electric Pokemon who isn't Pikachu" role, so Gou catching Morpeko as a proper teammate feels a bit redundant in terms of the main cast, especially once Marnie and her partner Morpeko are introduced.
No Marnie merch has appeared alongside the Morpeko merch, so I don't think she'll be joining the main cast.