• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

Greninja has become #1 Pokemon of the Year this year. Some people think it might return due to that.
Ash-Greninja coming back means it would get most of screentime among Ash's non-Pikachu Pokemons so I don't want it to come back at all. I don't want to see Dragonite or Mr. Mime being underused.

Greninja has become #1 Pokemon of the Year this year. Some people think it might return due to that.
Ash-Greninja coming back means it would get most of screentime among Ash's non-Pikachu Pokemons so I don't want it to come back at all. I don't want to see Dragonite or Mr. Mime being underused.
I'd rather all his Pokemon be rotated and get equal screentime, especially for the more underdeveloped ones.

Turns out Greninja’s even more popular than Charizard... it wasn’t a fad after all, like some people said. Mimikyu also overtook Charizard.

Lucario isn’t really a fad or has specific “fanboys“ either: it’s popular enough to be no. 2 and second only to Greninja.

Pikachu and Eevee are not even in the top 10. The distribution’s fairly equal all things considered: Kanto, Kalos, Hoenn and Sinnoh have 2 reps each, Johto and Alola have 1, Unova’s the only one with none.

Not counting Galar since they’ve got really little time to be exposed, specially with SwSh’s terrible marketing.

Last edited:
Lucario was second. I want to see this as further evidence of Ash getting a Riolu, but I must not my emotions cloud my logical thinking.
They didn’t know the results beforehand. I doubt the anime team even knew about the contest or the faintest idea of who was going to win when Riolu and it’s episode (capture or not) were being made.

I do think Riolu has a better possibility thanks to the amount of merch it’s in.

They didn’t know the results beforehand. I doubt the anime team even knew about the contest or the faintest idea of who was going to win when Riolu and it’s episode (capture or not) were being made.

I do think Riolu has a better possibility thanks to the amount of merch it’s in.
Exactly why I said I should keep my emotions in check and use logic instead. Like you did.

Turns out Greninja’s even more popular than Charizard... it wasn’t a fad after all, like some people said. Mimikyu also overtook Charizard.
I'm a bit surprised it got first. I figured it's popularity would endure but not to that extent.

Pikachu and Eevee are not even in the top 10.
Pikachu's always had backlash but I am a bit surprised Eevee didn't make it. Pikachu did make 4th most popular in Kanto, though.

Although I doubt the poll will affect what happens in the anime--and even if it does not for a while since only episodes written after would be able to take it into consideration.
Edit: You can see the top 5 for each region here:
Apparently people really don't liek Mudkip because Swampert was the only Hoenn starter that didn't make it for the Hoenn filter. My boy Flygon at Hoenn number 3, though.

I don't think Dragapult being high up is surprising (It was between it and Toxtricity as most popular Galar mon).

However, i think the vote results don't point towards anything happening in the anime, especially regarding Greninja, Gengar and Lucario, since we all already knew they are amongst the more favorite Pokemon.
What does surprise me though, is that in the Kanto section, Bulbasaur outclasses Pikachu and Eevee, but both Bulbasaur and Squirtle outclass Charmander. Muk placed 16th is a surprise for me, same as seeing only one of the legendary birds (Articuno)
What i personally like to see in the Johto section is that Typhlosion is the fourth favorite mon of that region (With the Cyndaquil line the only one fully represented starter line in the top 30 in Johto), even outclassing the likes of Scizor, Suicune and Crobat (It surprises me Crobat is so low honestly).
The Hoenn top 30 is not so surprising, except for Mightyena. Although the placement of some is somewhat surprising, especially Latios (21) and Deoxys (23).
Sinnoh is the least surprising list to be honest.
A lot of the Unova Pokemon aren't surprising. Only thing that really surprises me is that Cinccino is placed higher than Minccino.
Kalos top 6 not surprising at all and 6 of the top 7 mons were all mons in the main cast. Dedenne being on number 7 is somewhat surprising, especially since Tyrantrum, Hawlucha and the three legendaries placed below it. Its good too see every single member of the Fennekin line is included, with Fennekin placed the highest, but Delphox outclassing Braixen with 1 place, which basically is proof that the Fennekin line is the most popular line in Kalos and not the Froakie line at the moment, as so many people are claiming. Kalos is also the only region where the complete set of fossils is in the top 30 (Unsurprising Tyrantrum higher than Aurorus).
Alola isn't so surprising either, although there are slight differences with the Japanese exclusive Alola Popular Pokemon poll.
Galar: Some Pokemon on it are surprising for me, while others aren't. Wooloo only being placed 8th is somewhat surprising, since i expected it to be more in the top 5. Falinks and Eiscue surprise me the most in the top 30 and i would have expected to at least see Drednaw and Rolycoly or Coalossal. I would also have expected Rillaboom and Cramorant to be slightly higher. And i don't know what Meltan and Melmetal are doing on this list, considering its already proven they are gen 7 Pokemon and not gen 8 and had to be in the Kanto section.

If this points towards the anime, Gou and Ash are getting a lot of Pokemon on this list, especially the Galar listing is interesting in that case, since it means that if Ash gets Grookey (Based on Merchandise), he most likely also gets Sobble. If he gets Sobble first however, i don't see him getting Grookey (And even if he does, it most likely stays a Grookey, since Rillaboom isn't popular at all compared to the other 2).

i feel like people generally like them but it's not their favorites
Unless you're me (in Pikachu's case).

But even I'm happy to see the likes of Mimikyu get some recognition because it's a really cool Pokémon.

Greninja #1!! I hope it will return and Lucario #2, I hope Ash catches that Riolu that has been promoted in merch.

...and both Grookey and Sobble keep popping up in merchandise (they're starters, duh) but no hint about them in the anime.

Unless you're me (in Pikachu's case).

But even I'm happy to see the likes of Mimikyu get some recognition because it's a really cool Pokémon.
i agree but i really dislike people hating on pikachu because it never made top 10 it leaves a bitter taste

Tbh I wouldn't take a poll seriously especially one as unreliable as the recent one given that most of the voters were probably 12 years old and up. It doesn't accurately reflect the popularity of Pokemon in the anime, where we can be pretty sure that Pokemon like Pikachu, Scorbunny and the other cute mascots reign supreme.

I wonder if this is just inconsistent coloring from the studio or the Gengar at the lab really has different color.

The Gengar at the lab

ERvyR_UWoAEYjMj

The Gengar in episode 2 of the new series

ERvySZVXkAAMKKo

The Shiny Gengar in Movie 19

ERvyfG_WoAACuXh

Back
Top Bottom