• The Anime and Manga staff has posted a PSA regarding Go and how we'll handle future cases involving him from now onwards.

We strongly recommend checking out this thread.

Thank you in advance.
  • All content from the former Roleplaying Games forum has been merged into the Writers' Workshop forum. You can find more information in this thread.

We hope to see you roleplaying away soon!
  • The World Beyond Restructure is now finished! Check out the update here!
  • It's time for the Writer's Workshop Summer event: our second themed one-shot competition! Check out the sign-up thread here!
  • Hey everyone! The Writer's Workshop is hosting an exciting event, Trainers of Fanfiction! It's a community event focused around your characters!

Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

Young Battle Trainer
Reaction score
Who made them exceptions? Is there some authority on why some dark moves don’t count as dark moves? And how does Ash's Pokemon learning a dark move imply he’s "unlocked" the ability to get a pure dark type?
Bite and Crunch were considered exceptions because they weren't considered "evil" like the other Dark-type moves and were just considered extensions of the Pokemon's biology. The fact that Bite was once a Normal-type move also helps.

Flame Trainer
Reaction score
Bite and Crunch were considered exceptions because they weren't considered "evil" like the other Dark-type moves and were just considered extensions of the Pokemon's biology. The fact that Bite was once a Normal-type move also helps.
Exceptions to what exactly? There isn’t a rule regarding dark types. And Ash could just get a dark type without a dark move. This is the first time I’m hearing of Ash banned from dark moves, and the Dark moves his Pokemon know are magically exceptions? That’s a highly reaching trend. In fact, the only time Ash uses those moves are when they’re dark type and not normal.

Young Battle Trainer
Reaction score
Exceptions to what exactly? There isn’t a rule regarding dark types. And Ash could just get a dark type without a dark move. This is the first time I’m hearing of Ash banned from dark moves, and the Dark moves his Pokemon know are magically exceptions? That’s a highly reaching trend. In fact, the only time Ash uses those moves are when they’re dark type and not normal.
Many people considered pure Dark-types off limits because Ash's Pokemon hadn't gotten any Dark-type moves aside from Bite and Crunch, and most of his Dark-types had their Dark-type completely ignored. G-Farfetch'd getting Night Slash and Brutal Swing killed this argument though, so we shouldn't be arguing about this any more.

Reaction score
Many people considered pure Dark-types off limits because Ash's Pokemon hadn't gotten any Dark-type moves aside from Bite and Crunch, and most of his Dark-types had their Dark-type completely ignored. G-Farfetch'd getting Night Slash and Brutal Swing killed this argument though, so we shouldn't be arguing about this any more.
Well people shouldn't have been so adamant about this whole "Dark type moves are off limits" thing in the first place. It sounds like the kind of thing where people just make up their own conclusion based on "patterns" without that being the writers' intent. Kind of like when you say that "Ash won't catch _______" without anything to back it up.

Reaction score
I'm still surprised that the writers let Ash have a Pokemon with 2 Dark-type moves that are not Bite or Crunch.

Hear me roar!
Reaction score
This is not good at all. Sobble's just gonna be stuck at Sakuragi Park most of the time and even if Sobble does travel, there's not gonna be much battling or anything if Goh catches Sobble.

Young Battle Trainer
Reaction score
This is not good at all. Sobble's just gonna be stuck at Sakuragi Park most of the time and even if Sobble does travel, there's not gonna be much battling or anything if Goh catches Sobble.
I think that Grookey will get the same fate.

Reaction score
I want Ash to catch a Ralts.
I'd also like that. For all of the fanfiction it would create (and sadly I've seen Ash x Quilava so it would not be that bad in comparison). I think a Ralts and Riolu would be adorable together. Though the recent episode actually made me wonder about Ash and a Galarian Ponyta actually.

Reaction score
I'd also like that. For all of the fanfiction it would create (and sadly I've seen Ash x Quilava so it would not be that bad in comparison). I think a Ralts and Riolu would be adorable together. Though the recent episode actually made me wonder about Ash and a Galarian Ponyta actually.
I'd ship Riolu x Ralts! I wonder if it would it be better if it's Riolu x Kirilia -> Lucario x Gardevoir? Each evolving one time would be better (in terms of growing together) than one evolving once and the other twice.

Pokémon Master in the making!
Reaction score
I’m looking forward to seeing Riolu and Farfetch’d interact! They both have a lot of personality and it looks like they’ll be training partners until one of them evolves.

I kind of have a gut feeling that Farfetch’d will evolve first.

Reaction score
I’m looking forward to seeing Riolu and Farfetch’d interact! They both have a lot of personality and it looks like they’ll be training partners until one of them evolves.

I kind of have a gut feeling that Farfetch’d will evolve first.
Same! Farfetch'd is going to be a great training partner for Riolu (Mr. Mime was a good partner, but you can only practice so much against a literal wall).

Sirfetch'd's Pokedex entry makes me wonder if it'll actually be a permanent battler. The way it challenges Riolu makes me think that it'll be the one to push Riolu into getting stronger and stronger. Perhaps its Leek will wilt after Riolu evolves?