• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

@Panky.. Wanting something to happen and speculating about something are different things. For example, not everyone thinking that Gamefreak hinted at Let's Go Johto with that presentation were actually on board with the idea of the games existing. Personally, I agree that it's too early for Goh to capture a legendary, but I'm going with an open mind with it as we have very scarce details and also because it feels like it's a natural thing for a Pokemon catcher to get some development from that was going to happen eventually anyway.

Also, Zapdos isn't really that special:
  • It's a minor legendary, being tied in BST with all legendary trios, who only surpass non-legendaries, Silvally, Urshifu and the Tapus in that aspect.
  • You can get multiple of them in both Go and LGPE.
  • It has a regional variant, which means there are enough of them in the Poke-world to have some generic diversity.
  • Melmetal and Naganadel just happened, as well as Magearna and Shaymin. It feels like during the last decade the writers want legendaries and the main cast to come closer, whether or not that's a good thing it's up to each one.
  • Multiple have appeared in the anime, tied to the locations they have appeared.
  • Reading its Pokedex entries, it's associated with thunderstorms and can cause them, but it doesn't appear to have universal control of them like Groudon, Kyogre, Dialga, Palkia, Xerneas and Yveltal with their elements.
In conclusion, it could be perceived as a bad thing and you're free to rant about it, but it's also a tangible possibility that doesn't break the series' logic regarding Zapdos.

Why is it that people want Goh to catch a legendary when it doesn't make sense for a lot of reasons?
Expecting something to happen =/= Actually wanting said thing to happen.

Do I actually want Gou to catch Zapdos? No, but I wouldn't be horribly disappointed if it ends up happening, especially if the writers at least try to make the capture believable.

Do I expect Gou to at least try to catch Zapdos if the opportunity presents itself? Yes, I believe this is perfectly in-line with his character and his goals. If anything, I'd say it'd be a plothole if Gou doesn't attempt to capture Zapdos if he encounters it eventually (assuming there aren't any circumstances that directly prevent him from doing so).

Do I expect Gou to actually succeed in catching Zapdos? I'd say it's a 50/50 chance, which is probably a lot higher than what some people here are expecting. I wouldn't be surprised if the opening really is just a fakeout, but at the same time, I won't deny that there's a legitimate possibility that Gou might get his hands on a legendary in the near future.

I don’t think Goh will catch a Zapdos, but I don’t mind if he does - might be quite cool.

Thank you for at least addressing my points. Let me counter yours now.

Why is it that a legendary Pokemon specifically needs to be captured, instead of merely being taken care of or befriended, for character development for Goh? Why does it even need to be a legendary Pokemon in particular, when he has scores of Pokemon that he's caught who are ripe for character development (and are being ignored) and why is it that a legendary should take precedence over them? For that matter, even having a legendary is no indication that any character development to it will be fulfilled, just look at how poorly Mallow's Shaymin was handled.

Character development is hard to write because there isn't a single route to take, you can take a character in infinite directions to get a message across. Maybe catching Zapdos isn't necessary, but it would be interesting if he really has to improve his game and make a more complicated strategy, or if he understands that caring take of such a Pokemon is a hard catch and it would be better on the wild.

I wouldn't mind if Go had to take care of Zapdos first, as Shaymin and Nebby shown the lines are blurring. But whatever happens, I'm sure there will be a way to prevent Go from using Zapdos in battles, either it won't like going outside the lab or it will be released shortly afterwards.

For a new topic, assuming that Ash gets Mega Evolution down the line, will Goh get it as well? Mega Evolution probably counts in the “show every Pokémon” goal, and a couple of Goh’s main fighters and potential main fighters can either Mega Evolve now or upon evolution. Heracross and his potential Aerodactyl, and his Scyther and Magikarp can once they evolve. There’s also Pinsir but she doesn’t want to battle.

I’m assuming they set up Goh and Gurkinn’s relationship for a reason besides just explaining Mega Evolution to new viewers. Goh also showed an interest in it when he first saw it in person and he’s getting better at battling and will continue to get better.

Last edited:
For a new topic, assuming that Ash gets Mega Evolution down the line, will Goh get it as well? Mega Evolution probably counts in the “show every Pokémon” goal, and a couple of Goh’s main fighters and potential main fighters can either Mega Evolve now or upon evolution. Heracross and his potential Aerodactyl, and his Scyther and Magikarp can once they evolve. There’s also Pinsir but she doesn’t want to battle.

I’m assuming they set up Goh and Gurkinn’s relationship for a reason besides just explaining Mega Evolution to new viewers. Goh also showed an interest in it when he first saw it in person and he’s getting better at battling and will continue to get better.

I'm iffy on either of them getting Mega Evolutions. Mega Evolution always seemed to be the trump card for a trainer and their most powerful/ace Pokemon, and neither Ash nor Goh's main (strongest bond) Pokemon have one. I think it just doesn't look all that great saying you have this extremely strong bond with a Mega-capable Pokemon but also have your strongest bond (which has always been the Mega with any trainer who has one) with another Pokemon.

I'm iffy on either of them getting Mega Evolutions. Mega Evolution always seemed to be the trump card for a trainer and their most powerful/ace Pokemon, and neither Ash nor Goh's main (strongest bond) Pokemon have one. I think it just doesn't look all that great saying you have this extremely strong bond with a Mega-capable Pokemon but also have your strongest bond (which has always been the Mega with any trainer who has one) with another Pokemon.
At least in Ash's case compromises have been made: See Greninja.

Pinsir might start fighting if the need to protect Heracross rises. I think she will be useful in the future

Back
Top Bottom