• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

Definitely think that Go will catch all three legendary birds. If Ash can catch a mythical the co protagonist can catch a legendary easily. They can help him out in the PWC :)

My problem with Goh catching legendaries isn’t so much because of their status as much as Goh’s role as a newbie. Every trainer that has had one had a lot of experience and power under their belt (except for Mallow, but she doesn’t really count), or at least were older enough to imply experience. We’ll never know what Tobias did to get his hands on a Darkrai and a Latios or what that Nurse Joy from the Pewter special did to deserve a Latias, but we have seen the entirety of Goh’s journey so far and he’s indisputably no more than a talented rookie with a long way to go.

If they’re gonna give him legendaries, then it’s at least far too early. He has had too many lucky shots.

Are you seriously trying to equate a plot device (whose only reason to exist was to form an arbitrary League roadblock) to a protagonist? Even so, Tobias is still a fully grown adult who probably has quite a lot of experience under his belt while Goh is still a rookie. And Tobias sweeping against trainers doesn't prove that Darkrai is stronger than legendaries.

Anyways, the bird trio would still be stronger than Darkrai, we've already seen that the latter is not immortal. Not sure why you suddenly decided to jump onto Mewtwo though, it doesn't relate to the previous comparison you made to Darkrai (if anything, it proves my point about mythicals being far weaker than legendaries).

And I mentioned you being confused about this line, not the mythical vs legendaries part. Ash is the one who's competing in the PWC.
Bird trio have a lower BST then Darkrai or any other mythical.

And no I wasn't confused about the PWC comment. Go can easily enter whenever he wants to. That seems to be the direction they are heading with his growing interest for battle

I’m guessing Goh will capture a lot of the duos/trios/quartets and beyond of Pokémon. Stuff like Plusle & Minun, Zangoose & Seviper, Heatmor & Durant, the elemental monkeys, the Oricorios, etc, etc.

Notable gender differences like Frillish will probably be showcased as well.

I think you're confusing the characters here. Also, mythical Pokemon do not trump legendaries, they are two different categories and the latter is far lower than the former.
While I do agree that cover legendaries are much more powerful than minor legendaries and mythicals, I don't think there's much difference at all between minor legendaries and mythicals in terms of power level. Actually, forget power level, I don't think there's any real in-universe distinction at all between minor legendaries and mythicals aside from semantics. Like, who gets to decide whether a Pokemon is called a legendary or a mythical in-universe?

As an example, why is Cresselia a legendary while Darkrai is a mythical even though they're both considered to be part of the same duo? Sure, out-of-universe, they're both classified as such due to how they're obtained, but in-universe, there's absolutely no real reason for both Pokemon to be classified differently. Another example: Mewtwo's classified as a legendary while Genesect's classified as a mythical, despite the fact that both Pokemon are fundamentally similar to each other in terms of their origin.

And to top it all off, there's Arceus and Regigigas. Both are mythicals that act as leaders for a trio of legendaries, and both are clearly portrayed to be much, much stronger than the trio that they command. Again, the mythical classification makes sense out-of-universe because Arceus and Regigigas are only obtainable via events, but that reasoning is completely useless in-universe.

In the end, I think the distinction between legendaries and mythicals is rather pointless in-universe. The only thing that's clear in the anime is that cover legendaries are generally stronger than minor legendaries and mythicals, but aside from that, the distinction between the latter two groups is rather unclear. At the end of the day, I don't think Gou trying to catch Zapdos would be any more different than Gou trying to catch Mew.

@VetProf, it is true that in-game differentiation between legendaries and mythicals are shaky and sometimes even outright strange because of the reasoning behind their labelling being to do with real life factors/promotions/events, but my context was based off the feats by/lore of the Pokemon in the anime and the anime only (Regigigas is a legendary btw). And even so, the comparison you brought yourself between Cresselia and Darkrai works in favor of the favor of my point since Cresselia is the in-universe counter to Darkrai's nightmares.

Also back on point to where this discussion sprung out of, Black&White argued that Goh can catch a Zapdos because Ash has had a Melmetal and Mallow has had a Shaymin (the latter is not even an official capture, just another case similar to Ash taking care of and befriending Solgaleo). This comparison doesn't work because in game events have portrayed that Melmetal isn't exactly special when it comes to power or feats regardless of its mythical status, if anything, it's on level with a low level uber of a strong trainer. Like Alain's Metagross. Whereas we've already seen how powerful a 'minor legendary' can be when it comes to feats to the point that a rookie like Goh is insignificant to it.

You wouldn't see me bring up such a lengthy discussion for it if it was suggested that Goh would catch something like say Shaymin, Marshadow, Phione etc.

Since when do numerical stats from the game matter in the anime?

Idk if you're serious or joking now. Point out where this "direction" is being implied.
No I'm quite serious about Go entering the PWC. He and Ash were battling in the new opening. He may not make it to Master Class like Ash will but I couldmeasily see him rise to Super or Hyper Class. And the Legendary Birds could help him out

And you somehow don't see anything wrong with this entire (fanfiction-like) premise, especially from a writing stand point?

EDIT: Never mind, I just recalled this.
And these are the replies you got for them. And they do a much better job of detailing the issue with what you said.
Sorry, my belief of Go entering the PWC hasn't changed. Unless proven otherwise I think he will eventually enter and reach Super or Hyper Class. He is already taking Hop's place in the Darkest Day

Unless proven otherwise I think he will eventually enter and reach Super or Hyper Class.
He is already taking Hop's place in the Darkest Day
These two points don't correlate to each other, otherwise by that logic, Brock would have participated in the Grand Festival and the Lily of the Valley Conference because he was chosen by Uxie.

The only proving that needs to be done for the former point is that main cast members never had any similar goals. Even Kiawe and Ash had distinct goals even if they were both battling oriented.

Even though I don't think Gou is going to join PWC, I wouldn't count out that as a possibility, especially considering how his team is showcased in the new OP.

Cinderace, Inteleon, Rillaboom, Scyther, Flygon, Giant Golurk. Go has plenty of options that will help him reach Super and Hyper class(possibly Master). And if he gets the Birds he is set :)

Goh is gonna start battling more but he’s most likely not going to participate in the PWC, it would be redundant since Ash is already doing it. While it’s possible it will change, competitive Pokémon battling with other trainer’s isn’t Goh’s thing and most of his battling skills will probably go to raid battles and other strong wild Pokémon that he wants to capture.

There’s no need for Goh’s goal to cross into Ash’s goal when they’ve been trying to keep them as distinct as possible. Yes, Goh will get stronger (and will probably be strong enough to be a challenge to Ash according to the OP) but Goh doesn’t want to be the strongest trainer in the world, he’s more into researching Pokémon and he’ll most likely become a professional research assistant after he leaves Ash.

Cinderace, Inteleon, Rillaboom, Scyther, Flygon, Giant Golurk. Go has plenty of options that will help him reach Super and Hyper class(possibly Master). And if he gets the Birds he is set :)
I am still thinking you are kidding,but what you said does not make sense at all.At most,it will not only ruin Goh's character but his popularity.(Though he is one of least concerned characters in the west).
Rushed arcs= Bad Development.
Also Go mechanics ,are they joke?
Also Goh isn't even likely to get Rillaboom and the birds(Remember the Op of Ash and Grubbing and Charizard vs Reshiram)
Intelleon is a slight possibility though.
At best,Goh will be in the mid Normal Class.
Now don't say Leon will vbe oneshotted by Goh's Dream Legendaries or whatever.

Back
Top Bottom