• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

Evolution is basically a storytelling device more than anything. I think an evolution being a satisfying storytelling beat is more important than any arbitrary amount of on-screen battle-time.
Also the battles Sprigatito gets involved in, she wins most of the time. As opposed to Fuecoco who keeps getting bodied most of the time.

Evolution is basically a storytelling device more than anything. I think an evolution being a satisfying storytelling beat is more important than any arbitrary amount of on-screen battle-time.
While I can understand that, having a decent amount of on-screen battling can help to make it more satisfying/believable. Plus, I remember how people reacted to the evolutions for Lana's Popplio and Goh's Scorbunny and Sobble. It may not be a fair comparison to make, especially when Sprigatito's evolution won't be rushed exactly, but I don't recall fans here being particularly happy when a Pokemon evolves without enough on-screen battling to go with it.

While I can understand that, having a decent amount of on-screen battling can help to make it more satisfying/believable. Plus, I remember how people reacted to the evolutions for Lana's Popplio and Goh's Scorbunny and Sobble. It may not be a fair comparison to make, especially when Sprigatito's evolution won't be rushed exactly, but I don't recall fans here being particularly happy when a Pokemon evolves without enough on-screen battling to go with it.
Well........I guess Sprigatito's battled..........enough. (And she did have a good amount of battling against Sidian in the episode that just aired.)

Last edited:
Journeys also felt somewhat limited with the amount of battling that was needed to evolve Pokémon. However, I do understand that there was a fair amount of training and battling offscreen that could be used to justify the evolutions.

Journeys also felt somewhat limited with the amount of battling that was needed to evolve Pokémon. However, I do understand that there was a fair amount of training and battling offscreen that could be used to justify the evolutions.
If you ask me, there is nothing that can justify the atrocities of Journeys. (But I've already made my opinion of that series pretty clear, and I'll save my opinions for that respective thread anyway.)

Well today's episode saw the evolution of Sprigatito into Floragatto, making the first time we've seen a main characters Grass type starter evolve since DP

The preview shows Ann returning, her Oshawott now a Dewott, giving me hope we might see Samurott for the first time since BW

I'd be pretty surprised if Hatenna was next-in-line to evolve, considering Fuecoco hasn't evolved and neither has Wattrel, as well as Quaxly despite being in the show longer. Hatenna also hasn't done a whole lot yet besides chill in Liko's hood (outside of learning Heal Pulse). It'd be a little unbalanced if Liko got two evolutions before Roy or Dot got one.

I do hope that Fuecoco will be the next major evolution. I know that Crocolar is not really well liked compared to its family, but I really want Roy to get something. He hasn't really won any major battles and his relevance is overshadowed by Liko. I also hope a Crocolar evolution will make me care more for the mon like Drizzile in Journeys.

I agree with the unbalanced part, but Hattena doesn't really feel like it would be a battler period so it kinda HAS to evolve without doing stuff before it can... start doing stuff because Hattrem is more fitting for combat.
I don't think it necessarily needs to be Hatenna doing the battling, but it could be more of an active participant either by healing Floragato from the back in a single battle or Fuecoco or whoever in a tag battle.

True, but the anime tends to follow the games 1 pokemon a time thing, so it doesn't really work. Even in a double battle that would mean Liko is sitting back barely doing anything while Roy does the work. They could probably do more during the occasional "Send all our pokemon out to help" situation though, like the episode before this most recent one.

Back
Top Bottom