• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

Well, if he gets Zuruggu, I wouldn't want him to get Sandile or another dark type, it would be redundant.
In Sinnoh, Ash had Torterra and Gliscor. And Gible, but he had two Ground-types on hand. He didn't use Torterra as a Ground-type, and Ash might not use Sandile as a Dark-type.

Well, if he gets Zuruggu, I wouldn't want him to get Sandile or another dark type, it would be redundant. If he gets more than 6 pokémon, I'd like Ash to get one of Gobitto/Goruggo, Desumasu/Cofagrigus or Kaburumo/Shuarugo.

Well hypothetically speaking Ash can't get Gobitto if he has Chaobuu, Zuruggu, Sandile. Since it would be almost completely redundant outside of Ghost and fire.

I know it won't happen, and I'm disappointed that the writers will have to ultimately choose between Sandile's evolutions and Gobitto, since in my opinion they are all decent Pokemon but I am leaning more for Gobitto, since not only does it fit Ash perfectly (a Pokemon that was made to save people and Pokemon, sounds like Ash to me, only Pokemon-ized) it also doesn't make anyone redundant, since it would be the only ground Pokemon (of his Unova team), and it's ghost type is new.

Other possibilities: Kumashun (would have to evolve), Furijiro, and Liguree.

Maybe in the very highly unlikely chance Ash doesn't get Kurumiru, he can get Aianto (because looking at its move pool it is the only other bug I would've liked Ash to get after Denchura, which isn't ever happening).

Well hypothetically speaking Ash can't get Gobitto if he has Chaobuu, Zuruggu, Sandile. Since it would be almost completely redundant outside of Ghost and fire.

I know it won't happen, and I'm disappointed that the writers will have to ultimately choose between Sandile's evolutions and Gobitto, since in my opinion they are all decent Pokemon but I am leaning more for Gobitto, since not only does it fit Ash perfectly (a Pokemon that was made to save people and Pokemon, sounds like Ash to me, only Pokemon-ized) it also doesn't make anyone redundant, since it would be the only ground Pokemon (of his Unova team), and it's ghost type is new.

Other possibilities: Kumashun (would have to evolve), Furijiro, and Liguree.

Maybe in the very highly unlikely chance Ash doesn't get Kurumiru, he can get Aianto (because looking at its move pool it is the only other bug I would've liked Ash to get after Denchura, which isn't ever happening).

^ If not Kurumiru, there's also Shubarugo or Agirudaa too. A knight bug and a ninja bug, something Ash could definitely use in battle imo.

^ If not Kurumiru, there's also Shubarugo or Agirudaa too. A knight bug and a ninja bug, something Ash could definitely use in battle imo.

I thought Shubarugo but it would have to evolve in a weird way. Same with Agirudaa.

And while its true Ash has never had a bug type like Agirudaa, and it is a special attack bug, I don't like its pure typing of just bug. If it was bug/something, I'd probably like it more.

But with Aianto's move pool and the fact it gives Ash something new without needing evolution, is a stand alone Pokemon, it is the second favorite bug of this generation after Denchura. Kurumiru would then be after Aianto, followed by a tie between Shubarugo and Agirudaa.

Regardless, they all offer Ash something he's never had before or hasn't had a whole lot of experience.

Denchura- An Electric type that isn't Pikachu, also has a signature move, Elecnet. And is a special bug.

Hahakurimo- Offers Ash a grass type that's not a starter, and gives Ash an elegant Pokemon (something he hasn't had before).

Shubarugo- Is a steel type, highly defensive bug. It is a shame that it's just a bit similar to Heracross, just instead of horn it has lances.

Agirudaa- A Pokemon with high speed, and decent special attack. Would definitely be different than Heracross.

Aianto- A steel type, and a beautiful move set. (Just the attacking moves) Fury Cutter, Metal Claw, Bug Bite, Iron Head, Dig (only because it makes sense), X-Scissor, Rock Tomb, Aerial Ace, Energy Ball, Shadow Claw, Vengenge, Giga Impact, Stone Edge, Bug Opposition, Rock Slide, Flash Cannon, Rock Smash, Cut, Strength, Rock Climb, Thunder Fang, Rock type.

Sure Aianto is a physical attacker but since it's body shape is different than Heracross, it would have an entirely different battling style. Plus....it's fast. Not as fast as Agirudaa, but still faster than all the other steel Pokemon. Plus it's also got a decent physical attack and defence stat. It just sucks in the special stats (and health).

If Ash catches more than 6 Pokemon, I would like for it/them to be Gothimu/Yuniran (one or the other but not both) and/or Meraruba. Gothimu/Yuniran because Ash has never owned a Psychic-type. Meraruba because he hasn't owned a Bug-type in a while and although it's a Fire-type, if it evolved it could learn a few moves (Heat Wave and Fire Dance) that wouldn't conflict with Tepig's moveset.

For the irony, I'd like Iris to capture Fushide.

Dento should get a Vanipeti. Other people have said it would fit with his food theme and I agree.

Last edited:
if Ash catches Aianto i would like it very much because i have an itchy feeling that it will evolve in a 6th gen. but i digress if Ash gets our little hellion of a lizard then i dont believe he will get sandile. on top of that im not completely sold on the grass/bug either. i think if he gets the middle stage of the goths would be great as well

If Ash is getting a 6th Unova pokemon I think Kumasyun would be a good choice as it fits Ash IMO.

i dont think a fit for Ash would be good i want something that goes completely against his norms making him work hard. i think if he had an incredibly girly pokemon (not snivy) that is not battle proficient but incredibly powerful. what if he had one of the goth pokemon thAt liked him like Bayleef in personality but was a strictly defensive fighter.

heck ive seen most pokemon eps. and it has been a long time since Ash had to truly struggle to over a long period of time with a pokemon. Maybe treeko but im thinking more like Charizard and Primeape. now this may be null in void with the lizard but i want Ash to struggle and grow but not these little hiccups he has every other episode. but thats me and id like to know what would be so good if it all just falls into his lap

…but was a strictly defensive fighter.

heck ive seen most pokemon eps. and it has been a long time since Ash had to truly struggle to over a long period of time with a pokemon. Maybe treeko but im thinking more like Charizard and Primeape. now this may be null in void with the lizard but i want Ash to struggle and grow but not these little hiccups he has every other episode. but thats me and id like to know what would be so good if it all just falls into his lap

Well we might get that with zuruggu. It didn't look very friendly and probably won't listen to ash for a while, like primeape. Also, technically zuruggu is a defensive battler.

how do u know we do not know his moveset yet

zuruggushield.jpg

It's because the skin pants can be used as a shield

how do u know we do not know his moveset yet

I meant in terms of stats, it has a high defense and Sp. Defense compared to it's other stats

Edit: I was just looking at upcoming pokemon events, and as it turns out there's one for "Ash's Zuruggu" coming up in Japan, so I guess that means it will be Ash's.

Last edited:
I meant in terms of stats, it has a high defense and Sp. Defense compared to it's other stats

and thats fine and dandy but its moves are what im wanting to look for then we can dictate its progress. it is a fighter so it would be safe to say that it will be physical fighter

If he gets another Pokemon I hope its some Psychic type.

EDIT:

Satoshi does capture Zurugu!

Last edited:
I always wondered why Ash never got a psychic type, when James (Mime Jr.), Jessie (Wobbufett), and Misty (Starmie, though it used no psychic attacks), got them.

The closest he had was Noctowl's psychic abilities.

Ash getting his first ghost type is also something I've wanted for years.

As long as the writers keep using the same formula for Ash's captures in each region, we probably won't ever reach a moment where Ash wiil officially capture a pokemon of each type.

But we are getting close. Ash caught his first Dragon-type in Sinnoh and could very well obtain his first Dark-type in BW017. If the Zuruggu will be obtained by Ash during that episode, the only types Ash have not yet caught will be Psychic, Ghost, Rock, and Steel.

Others have said it before, but some of the other main characters have caught pokemon of most of these types.

Jessie and James have both used and caught two Psychic-type pokemon each, Misty briefly used a Starmie in the original series.

Two of Brock's pokemon evolved into Steel-types and Iris currently has a Ground/Steel-type Doryuuzu.

Brock has/had owned three pokemon with the Rock-type (his Onix evolved into a Steelix). Misty used the Water/Rock type Corsola. Dent currently has an Ishizumai.

While no main characters have caught a Ghost-type pokemon yet, some of the main rivals were seen using them at least once. Paul used a Froslass in his battle against Ash, Zoey used a Mismagius that evolved from a Misdreavus, and Shooti currently has the Water/Ghost pokemon Pururiru.

The point being, these types of pokemon are abundant enough in the pokemon world that several important characters are or were seen using them. Ash has used most of these aforementioned types temporarily in competitions (i.e. Pokemon Summer School race).

The writers feel that Ash must always have a Grass-type, a Fire-type, a Water-type, and a Flying-type pokemon in each region. Most often times, the Grass/Fire/Water type pokemon are usually either starters (most of which are pure-type) or unevolved pokemon that are purely that type. Ash's Corphish was that exception; if it had evolved, Ash certainly would have obtained a Dark-type by now. Ash can rarely ever cross a new type boundary with this formula.

That said, the sixth "wild card" pokemon is usually the pokemon I look most forward to seeing. I feel that with the sixth slot, the writers can improvise much more with the pokemon designated to that slot than most of the other captures in that region.

We would be lucky if Ash was to catch more pokemon in Unova, much less a pokemon of a type that he has never used before.

Wait, why don't Haunter and Larvitar count? Is it because they weren't officially "caught?"

Yeah since they were never put inside a pokeball they were'nt technically his. Haunter only agreed to help him while he was only taking Larvitar home

Wait, why don't Haunter and Larvitar count? Is it because they weren't officially "caught?"

thats correct Ash never officially caught them just like the seaking from jhoto he used them but never caught them. i think if Ash's alternate pokemon was a double type he didnt have it would be cool but if he gets the lizard or sandile that cant happen. so i am still hoping for the goth line

Back
Top Bottom