• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

sandile could just fill in for team rocket and just get caught before the league starts or it could just be the new jigglypuff.... but i hope not

I think Ash will eventually catch the Sandile.

Meh... even more redundant... What's funny is that if Ash captures Meguroco and Tepig evolves, he would have 2 grass types, 2 ground types and 2 fighting types...

After today, I've kinda lost interest in Ash's team altogether. What's the point in caring for pokémon who'll get very little screentime, no developpement and for the most part (Pikachu, Tepig, Pidove and Kurumiru) no personality. The writers aren't even able to have 5 regional pokémon + Pikachu and really make each of them three dimensional, now with 6 pokémon...

Snivy is gonna get cheated out of battles, screentime and developpement because of Kurumiru. I hope the bug gets released ASAP and we never see it again.

How on Earth is Snivy going to be cheated because of of Sewaddle?

Because he thinks that since there both grass types then Sewaddle is gonna be taking Snivy's screentime. Because we all know that it was because of Gible and Gliscor that Torterra wasn't focused on as much as it should have been.

They did an okay job with 6 sinnoh pokemon + Pikachu. Then only problem was Torterra(even though Gible was a late capture it still got a lot of screentime). I'm sure that if Ash didn't use reserves in the league than Torterra would have had time to shine and since Ash's pokemon was sent to Juniper's this time it's kinda telling me that he won't be using his old pokemon in the Unova league

Because everytime it would make sense to use a grass type in a battle, the writers now have two choices. Therefore, they'll split the screentime, focus and battles between Snivy and Kurumiru, couple that with BW being faster paced and having probably less episodes... doesn't look good for anybody on Ash's team.

Picture a pie, the more people eating it, the smaller each individual pieces will be. The writers seem to be going back to the Kanto days where pokémon weren't really characters, but just machines that Ash would call out and order attacks from.

If anything Sewaddle is more upstaged by Snivy more than anything I personally believe that Ash will catch more pokemon to make a even 8...It's ironic in that Ash could keep Sewaddle if he removed Pikachu from his active roster and I don't mean sent to the lab because he had 7 pokemon during a tournament with 6 active and him just have pikachu on his person not using it in the match

I have been thinking....what if Ash does rotate Tsutarja for Kurumiru. and then Tsutarja starts feeling that she is not progressing enough with Ash and ends up abandoning him?

I think this could be a good storyline if written correctly.

Picture a pie, the more people eating it, the smaller each individual pieces will be. The writers seem to be going back to the Kanto days where pokémon weren't really characters, but just machines that Ash would call out and order attacks from.

But imagine there's another pie. It's on the counter over there. Sure it's blueberry and not pumpkin, but not everyone likes Pumpkin pie.
------

Anyway I don't see the problem, again refer to my post (2 posts ago from me) where I ask "what the hell is so important about gym battles?"

What if every episode Ash battles or bonds with his Pokemon? What if there's a battle club episode every five episodes, where Ash's Pokemon get a win?

What if Ash rotates off screen so it looks like he has more Pokemon on hand then he usually does, except on the rare occasion where he sends out all six Pokemon?

Because everytime it would make sense to use a grass type in a battle, the writers now have two choices. Therefore, they'll split the screentime, focus and battles between Snivy and Kurumiru, couple that with BW being faster paced and having probably less episodes... doesn't look good for anybody on Ash's team.

Or they could just primarily focus on Sewaddle's bug typing and letting it only have one grass move. Besides, there's more incentives to use Snivy in some battles with its Attract and it does have a really good movepool. We're only in BW19 and even though we're gonna be close to the third gym soon, there's still quite a ways to go before the absolute end of BW (there's still like that whole Northeastern sector of Unova that may or may not be covered in the anime).

Anyway, screentime can always change up. In DP, Chimchar wasn't too focused early in the region but was definitely the star by the end of the series. In contrast, Turtwig and Buizel had some good screentime in the beginning but they weren't the biggest stars at the end of DP. So we really can't say Snivy will definitely be cheated or Sewaddle will be cheated this early. If Ash does use an all Unova team for the league with no reserves, then all of his pokemon will get their chances to shine. I mean that's how some of the Hoenn pokemon got significantly more screentime than other pokemon. It was because they had their league all to themselves (plus the BF was AG-centric too).

And I'm going to be honest here, I sorta half hope Pidove doesn't do as much as Ash's other pokemon. Because its evos really don't add anything new that we haven't seen from Swellow and Staraptor besides use more special based moves. I wouldn't mind if we don't see it as much as the starters and the wildcards. This is the first time the writers rotate Ash's pokemon. They might mess up from time to time, sure, but hey, screentime balancing didn't really improve with switches mid-series. Maybe rotating is the way to go? We can't judge it yet without actually seeing what will happen.

But imagine there's another pie. It's on the counter over there. Sure it's blueberry and not pumpkin, but not everyone likes Pumpkin pie.

What's so hard to understand about a pie metaphor? It represents the episode. There's a set number of them.

Number of episodes/Number of pokémon = Number of episodes each pokémon gets. Now, that top number doesn't change, but the more pokémon you give Ash, the lesser the result of the equation will be.

"what the hell is so important about gym battles?"

Nothing, except that it's fun to see Ash's pokémon participate in Ash earning a spot in the League, plus as we've seen, they're milestone episode that are used to make a pokémon get loads of developpement. Mijumaru and Ash synching, Pokabu and Mijumaru learning new moves, etc.

What if every episode Ash battles or bonds with his Pokemon?

Except he doesn't. There's been quite a few episodes where Ash either sends out no pokémon or solely Pikachu.

What if Ash rotates off screen so it looks like he has more Pokemon on hand then he usually does, except on the rare occasion where he sends out all six Pokemon?

Still doesn't change the fact that most pokémon will get less episodes then they would have, less screentime and less developpement had the 7th pokémon not been there. The only solution would be to release Kurumiru ASAP

I now predict Ash's bug will be fully evolved to go toe to toe with Arty's by BW25.

The second stage is a coccon-like stage where all it does it mope about and not do much.

Now that Ash has seemingly gone over the limt of what fans are so used to these days, I can easily imagine that Ash will capture Pokémon that might represent all 17 types (Or at least the whole cast).

Actually, the main cast of Pokémon is very diverse as far as typing goes already. The only types not represented by at least one Pokémon on a main character's teams are Poison, Ghost, Psychic and Ice.

EDIT: I really hope someone catches a Kumashun. It's actually really adorable.

What's so hard to understand about a pie metaphor?
It's flawed for various reasons.

It represents the episode. There's a set number of them.
Except in DP, the writers barely touched the pie that they had. So some Pokemon had to eat rotten and moldy pie pieces.

However if everyone eats fresh pie, and doesn't leave it to rot or to grow mold, then not only will it be filling, maybe they can actually finish the pie, instead of throwing it away, which sadly the writers haven't been able to do yet.

Number of episodes/Number of pokémon = Number of episodes each pokémon gets. Now, that top number doesn't change, but the more pokémon you give Ash, the lesser the result of the equation will be.
Mathematically you're correct. But logically, no.

A realistic sized pie can not represent the entirety of a series/region and then divided by Pokemon. First off that wouldn't work, because the smaller the pie the less realistic you speak logically.

However if you imagine someone baked a giant pie, a very big pie, which is better representative of this situation you're trying to explain, then obviously the more Pokemon won't matter, because with a bigger pie, the more slices of pie for Pokemon.

Average sized pies only work for a single episodes. For all the episodes, you need a damn big one. Which is really why you're metaphor doesn't really work. Since your metaphor didn't best represent the situation.

So mathematically, a bigger pie can divide better with a numerous set of Pokemon than the average sized pie in your metaphor implies.

Of course, the bigger the pie, the more likely chance it isn't going to be all that desirable at the end. I just hope the writers don't waste the pie they get, like they did in DP.

Nothing, except that it's fun to see Ash's pokémon participate in Ash earning a spot in the League, plus as we've seen, they're milestone episode that are used to make a pokémon get loads of developpement. Mijumaru and Ash synching, Pokabu and Mijumaru learning new moves, etc.
I don't see why a normal "rival" battle or a tough battle is less "of an accomplishment" than a gym battle. A battle is a battle, unless you want to argue strengths then think about this:

Surely a battle near the eighth badge should be the equivalent to a five to seven badge level. Isn't that better than a no badge level gym win or a one badge level gym win?

The latter of the half of the region will be the most important in the development of Pokemon (for when it counts). It's great to have all this fluff in the beginning to develop your Pokemon, yes, I will agree.

But beating Cilan won't prepare you for the league. Anyone who beats Cilan can't just walk up to the Unova league and say "Damn it, I am good, let me in, and I'll kick all your asses"

However think of Shaga, the eighth gym leader. If a Pokemon manages to take one of his Pokemon, then surely at least he will be somewhat ready for the league. So a battle in between gyms, sure the next gym leader might be a superior opponent, but in terms of training and growing, don't underestimate the small battles in between, they are just as important if not more than gyms.

After all gyms alone cannot prepare you for League battles. The are there only to test your skill, to see if you qualify to challenge the league. But everything else, the padding, the fluff, is what sets the difference between good trainers and just acceptable trainers.

Except he doesn't. There's been quite a few episodes where Ash either sends out no pokémon or solely Pikachu.
Which I hate. And it goes back to the pie metaphor. Instead of using Pikachu, one of his other Pokemon can take its place. Pikachu has already had its fill of the pie, let someone else get some.

And I'm hoping that's what they're going to do, one things start to mellow off I sure as hell hope, Ash uses his other Pokemon for more than Pikachu. Right now, minus Pidove, everyone has gotten some decent screen time, and wins. I hope they keep on improving.

Still doesn't change the fact that most pokémon will get less episodes then they would have, less screentime and less developpement had the 7th pokémon not been there.
You can only make that assumption if you were a writer.

The only solution would be to release Kurumiru ASAP
That accomplishes nothing. Putting a Pokemon under the tires of a vehicle, just so someone can get more screen time, isn't even a decent suggestible option in this case.

No one should endorse releasing of a Pokemon, no matter how bitter they are about how things are.

Back
Top Bottom