• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

I think they could possibly build on the fact that Tsutarja was getting neglected in terms of battling and feeling underappreciated. I've never seen why a Pokémon hasn't left Satoshi on bad terms yet for a sense of realism; people do not always match and so I don't think that Satoshi should always be able to work it out with his Pokémon in the end.

I was thinking the same thing. It could be a great storyline if written correctly.

. As someone who does not like the idea of a rotating team (especially in this partcular saga)
Any particular reason why you don't like rotating?

And why this particular series? Unova brings the most Pokemon out of all the other generations. For Ash not to get more than 5-6 Unova Pokemon is really limiting his choices. Especially when people are already claiming that his team is boring.

Except somehow Zuruggu.

I think they could possibly build on the fact that Tsutarja was getting neglected in terms of battling and feeling underappreciated. I've never seen why a Pokémon hasn't left Satoshi on bad terms yet for a sense of realism; people do not always match and so I don't think that Satoshi should always be able to work it out with his Pokémon in the end.

The problem with that is it makes Ash look like a bad trainer. Ash cares about Pokemon, and even realistically speaking, Snivy releasing itself just wouldn't work and would probably undermine everything that happened in BW007 when Snivy actually agreed to caught by Ash.
-------------------
-------------------

Now, let's talk about this bullshit that is releasing.

I don't care if you absolutely loathe a Pokemon. Releasing a Pokemon is never a good thing. And I don't know why or understand why ANYONE could EVER condone it.

We have someone who hates releases, suddenly campaigning that Sewaddle be released, on whatever biased grounds.

And then we have another user, who is being completely hypocritical about Screen Time and fairness of Pokemon, but says that releasing Sewaddle will solve everything (again for whatever biased reason). Uh NO it won't, all it will do is prove that the writer's don't know how to write screen time for Pokemon.

Seriously Fandom, WHAT THE HELL?

Tsutarja could run away from Satoshi. I dont know.

I personally hope he keeps Kurumiru.

Any particular reason why you don't like rotating?

And why this particular series?

I'm not a fan or rotating for a few reasons. The first is that I'm not a big fan of screetime and focus being divided by larger numbers. I read the pie metaphor earlier, but I'm not too convinced that there would be more pies to fit the demand. In my opinion Mamepato has not been allowed a chance to shine yet and with Zurrugu joining the cast so recently, there seems like too much to deal with now. It's also due to this that I don't believe I will become as attached to the Pokémon on the cast as we won't be seeing them as often. Part of the enjoyment for me in previous sagas was having favourites on the team that I (mainly :p) knew would be there for the saga since their capture, Dodaitoise for example. Finally, not specifically animé related, but I personally never rotate my party members in the game and so I find it strange. That's a pretty weak reason though :p

Unova brings the most Pokemon out of all the other generations. For Ash not to get more than 5-6 Unova Pokemon is really limiting his choices. Especially when people are already claiming that his team is boring.

Part of the reason why I think people say his team is boring is that we haven't really seen many episodes focusing on the team members themselves. If we did then they would seem less boring. Another Pokémon such as Kurumiru, in my opinion, lowers the chances of focus happening. The saga could take a turn though and start to do this, it is relatively new so I have my fingers crossed.

The problem with that is it makes Ash look like a bad trainer.

In my opinion, it would make him look like a trainer who has some flaws which I think would make him a bit more believable. Things don't always work out in real life and I would love it if that transpired a bit more in the animé.

Ash cares about Pokemon, and even realistically speaking, Snivy releasing itself just wouldn't work and would probably undermine everything that happened in BW007 when Snivy actually agreed to caught by Ash.

I understand your point and agree with it to an extent but this was a first impression that Tsutarja had on the first day that it knew about Satoshi. She knew nothing about the inner workings of his team or how he reacts when he loses to trainers etc.

I also think that because Satoshi does care about his Pokémon, he would understand that he could possibly be taking on too much by having a rotation system and realise why Tsutarja wants to go. It would be a nice bit of development and reaffirm the "do what's best for your Pokémon" message that the show has portrayed.

Again, I don't think this will actually happen but if a release were to occur then I think this would be the most interesting and beneficial for Satoshi as a character ^^

I wonder if Pokabu is going to evolve now with Ash getting Zuruggu. That means Ash will have 2 fighting Pokemon in his line-up, which he had many Pokemon of the same type, even one on Isshu, but not fighting.

Now, let's talk about this bullshit that is releasing.

I don't care if you absolutely loathe a Pokemon. Releasing a Pokemon is never a good thing. And I don't know why or understand why ANYONE could EVER condone it.

We have someone who hates releases, suddenly campaigning that Sewaddle be released, on whatever biased grounds.

And then we have another user, who is being completely hypocritical about Screen Time and fairness of Pokemon, but says that releasing Sewaddle will solve everything (again for whatever biased reason). Uh NO it won't, all it will do is prove that the writer's don't know how to write screen time for Pokemon.

Seriously Fandom, WHAT THE HELL?

Agreed so much (on the releasing part that is). Releasing a pokemon is just bad. At least for Ash's side. Releasing a pokemon (that won't come back to his team) this series when Ash hasn't done so since OI is something I would not want to see at all. I'd like to think that after the end of BW, I can see all of the Unova pokemon once again in some future Champion League, filler saga, etc. And if the writers release a pokemon this series, then that means there's always a possibility for them to do it again in the future and maybe in a possible 6th gen series or whatever, a fan favorite of Ash's team could be released and everyone will whine and complain. Heck, when Ambipom was released, people whined and complain and some are still irked by its release.

Yeah, no thanks. I don't want to deal with the consequences of releasing. I don't even want anyone be put into training because people will also whine about that and then constantly wish that they have to bring it back by the league or something. Since Ash has more than 6 pokemon, then rotate away (and rotate often). At least that means no one pokemon will be gone for a good chunk of episodes.

I wonder if Pokabu is going to evolve now with Ash getting Zuruggu. That means Ash will have 2 fighting Pokemon in his line-up, which he had many Pokemon of the same type, even one on Isshu, but not fighting.

We know that none of the starters will be evolving by July (they are all featured as merchandise and advertisement appeal for the 14th movie).

Given that Ash had...
1): Owned the exact pokemon as rivals from the past.
2): Owned pokemon with a common type on his team at the same time.

...it is possible.

I'm one of those people who tries to predict what the writers will do based on what they have done in a similar case in the past.

Of course, I acknowledge that Best Wishes may be handled a lot differently than Diamond and Pearl or even Advanced Generation as to how Ash's team will be set up.

Given that Ash has caught six pokemon in 18 episodes, it is possible that the writers will give him plenty more (as they did back in Kanto). The writers might find it difficult juggling between 7+ pokemon in that they will only evolve one or two pokemon throughout the entire arc. There is also the "pacing" issue (I don't want to delve it any further than Ash possibly obtaining 3 badges in 25 episodes).

It's really difficult to tell at this point. Something in me is saying that the writers might actually want to keep Ash's starters unevolved this time.

It's really difficult to tell at this point. Something in me is saying that the writers might actually want to keep Ash's starters unevolved this time.

Other than releasing a pokemon, unevolved starters would be the next unfavorable thing to happen on Ash's team imo. After Sceptile, Infernape, and Torterra the past two regions, the writers should know by now that Ash should always have at least one fully evolved starter. In each series (original, AG, DP), Ash has had a fully evolved starter. So for BW, that better be Oshawott to a Samurott.

And I think we should expect them (or at least 2 of them) to evolve (with at least one being fully evolved). With Shooti and Bianca each with their evolved starter and other evolved pokemon, Ash has to match up to them somehow. Also, I don't know how the writing process works but iirc, if we have the same head writer since AG, hopefully like DP from AG, BW is an improvement from DP and we could expect a good amount of evos for Ash.

I also agree with whoever said that Snivy being upset about being neglected would be a great idea. I actually thought about that when people were question who was left at Juniper's lab.

@Ash6k - I think people were upset with Ambipom's release because prior to it, it had grown quite stale. The release didn't lead to any character development other than getting rid of a Pokemon that hadn't been doing much. It's kind of like Brock leaving the show, but at least that helped him develop (though it was quite late). The only bit of growth we got from Ambipom was...that it learned how to play ping-pong.

Now if Snivy were to be released (which I highly doubt will happen), I wouldn't be upset if it was to improve its or Ash's character.

The same goes for Sewaddle. Yes, having two Grass-types at the same time could become boring, but I think the writers are willing to focus on Sewaddle's other typing for the sake of advertising Snivy as the Grass-type starter of Unova. Only time will tell...

I also agree with whoever said that Snivy being upset about being neglected would be a great idea. I actually thought about that when people were question who was left at Juniper's lab.

@Ash6k - I think people were upset with Ambipom's release because prior to it, it had grown quite stale. The release didn't lead to any character development other than getting rid of a Pokemon that hadn't been doing much. It's kind of like Brock leaving the show, but at least that helped him develop (though it was quite late). The only bit of growth we got from Ambipom was...that it learned how to play ping-pong.

Now if Snivy were to be released (which I highly doubt will happen), I wouldn't be upset if it was to improve its or Ash's character.

The same goes for Sewaddle. Yes, having two Grass-types at the same time could become boring, but I think the writers are willing to focus on Sewaddle's other typing for the sake of advertising Snivy as the Grass-type starter of Unova. Only time will tell...

NO WAY WILL ASH GET RID OF SNIVY!! :( if he had to get rid of anything it would be sewaddle not 1/3 of the series mascot

Well pretty much my main point of the whole releasing business is that it's not a good idea for Ash's sake, knowing that in the future, we won't see it on Ash's team again and if the writers do this in the current series after so long, that means that if a pokemon doesn't work out for them, they can just ditch it. And so I just listed past occurrences such as Ambipom and to an extent, Gliscor to show that it's not really a fan happy situation and it's much preferable to keep all the pokemon on hand or at least Oak'd or something. Besides, we still have people making threads like "Why didn't Ash visit Pidgeot" every now and then and I would not like that to happen with the current pokemon we have now.

Releasing a pokemon is just bad.

I completely disagree. A release, if executed well, can be the mark of excellent writing. Let's take for exemple, Butterfree. As shown in episode 3, Caterpie's dream was to evolve into a Butterfree and fly. It does just that. Then, comes the question: Now what? It's done developpement wise, It can't really mature anymore, grow anymore. It's done. In that case, he has no purpose staying on the main cast, so we got a release episode where Ash got some character developpement, where he learns to put his pokémon before himself.

So instead of having a pokémon stay on the main cast or come back episodically, stealing screetime and focus away from other pokémon who need to be further developped, we release it and give Ash some growth. This is what should have happened to characters like Charizard, Squirtle and Gliscor who were done developpement wise and should have stayed gone.

In Kurumiru's case, it really has nothing plotwise (no dream, no goal, no problems) except evolving, so once that's done, there'd be no point giving it battles, giving it screentime cause it'd be done and it'd just eat away at other pokémon who needs screentime, ergo release and give Ash a nice moment where it remembers to put himself before his pokémon.

I completely disagree. A release, if executed well, can be the mark of excellent writing. Let's take for exemple, Butterfree. As shown in episode 3, Caterpie's dream was to evolve into a Butterfree and fly. It does just that. Then, comes the question: Now what? It's done developpement wise, It can't really mature anymore, grow anymore. It's done. In that case, he has no purpose staying on the main cast, so we got a release episode where Ash got some character developpement, where he learns to put his pokémon before himself.
Butterfree's release was acceptable not only because of that, but because it was the first time. But Primeape's release wasn't handled well and people still ask for Pidgeot on occasion, Lapras' release was also acceptable because it was known from the start that Ash would give it back to its family. Kanto's captures were just faulty in general and is something I do not want to see with the Unova team.

So if Ash released a pokemon in BW for good, it's just not gonna sit well with me because that means it's possible in future series and it could happen to a future pokemon that a lot of people may end up liking. Then of course the reaction to such releasing would be filled whining and complaining and I'd rather just take the simpler road of catching a pokemon, keeping it, and Oaking it at the end. Hence, another reason why I liked AG's team development was because none of that releasing mess was done. Besides, what if the writers released a pokemon you liked and kept the pokemon you didn't like. You wouldn't want releases to happen anymore would you?

So instead of having a pokémon stay on the main cast or come back episodically, stealing screetime and focus away from other pokémon who need to be further developped, we release it and give Ash some growth. This is what should have happened to characters like Charizard, Squirtle and Gliscor who were done developpement wise and should have stayed gone.
At first I accepted Gliscor as a release, but after seeing it again and enjoying its battle, as well as realizing the fact that I wouldn't want to see Kanto-esque releases in BW, I'm glad it came back and didn't stay gone. Before Gliscor came back, some people wanted it to come back and one even said something along the lines of it being the "worst thing the writers will do" or whatever. Then when it came back, others still complained when it was used. Yeah, I'd prefer not to go through all that again. The writers should just stick with the capture and let it be. Now that they figured some sort of way to have more than 6 pokemon on Ash's team by rotating, they don't need to go through all that again.

In Kurumiru's case, it really has nothing plotwise (no dream, no goal, no problems) except evolving, so once that's done, there'd be no point giving it battles, giving it screentime cause it'd be done and it'd just eat away at other pokémon who needs screentime, ergo release and give Ash a nice moment where it remembers to put himself before his pokémon.
He can show that side in other ways and there can be other moments where he puts himself before his pokemon. Like protecting them from attacks instead of letting his pokemon take it instead (which he already has done by the way).

As for Sewaddle, it can develop a dream or goal or a problem later down the road. Why right away? Turtwig didn't get a problem until it evolved into Grotle. Heck, Staraptor had no problems and it stayed on the team (and people still liked it). We don't know what'll happen in the future but as seen with DP, things can change pretty easily. Ash went from being owned by Paul to winning in their league match. Chimchar went from having not a whole lot of screentime due to Buizel, to dominating over the rest of the DP team.

Here's another thing to address. People wanted something unpredictable. People wanted to see something that hasn't happened before. Ash gets 7 pokemon to rotate and now there's sudden opposition against it when we haven't even seen it yet. This is something new that the writers could potentially do well with considering they're not leaving a pokemon at so and so's for an extended time. All pokemon are accessible and able to see each and every episode now. I already made a timeline and screentime comparison that worked out in some ways. It could happen.

And while it's okay to not have a good first impression about this situation, at least also be willing to see if something good can come out of it. We haven't even passed the first episode where nothing has been done and there's already judgements about it. None of us know how it'll be handled so while there is potential for bad, there is also potential for good and at least wait until we see something before jumping the gun and wishing for things like releases at this point.

EDIT: Also want to point out that if it does happen to Sewaddle, I myself would not be so devastated about it. But if it happens to a favorite pokemon of mine in the future (not even going to say their names for the sake of not wanting to put the idea out there), I would blame all this pro-releasing ideas.

I have to agree with Ash6k, and I hope none of Ash's Unova Pokemon are released.

As for character development, I believe that if Ash were to catch Sandile or another Pokemon to be his 8th, good character development is still possible, its all about timing. Each of Ash's Unova Pokemon have already shown unique personalities and some development, like Oshawott and Tepig each learning a new move. I could easily see all of Ash's Pokemon at least evolved once and with good development by the league, we just have to wait till we get there.

i hate releasing aswell but lets face it its going to happen... pidgeot butterfree lapras primape charizard squirtle (yes i know these last three are technically in training but still) all got released and i have a feeling sewaddle is the new catterpie.
tbh i didnt really like it until i saw it turn into freakin spiderman! spiderpokemon deserves to stay damit but i doubt it will...

i hate releasing aswell but lets face it its going to happen... pidgeot butterfree lapras primape charizard squirtle (yes i know these last three are technically in training but still) all got released and i have a feeling sewaddle is the new catterpie.
tbh i didnt really like it until i saw it turn into freakin spiderman! spiderpokemon deserves to stay damit but i doubt it will...

This isn't the original series (and Charizard and Squirtle were not released)

The writers aren't release happy like they were before

I think it would suck if he doesn't release at least one Pokémon.

Releasing one might actually be the ultimate ending to said Pokémon's storyline, which I think is what they tried to do with Pidgeot.

And that's the problem, how can Snivy be developed? Unless you want her to be released, I can't see how Snivy is any different than your argument for Butterfree. Who said Butterfree was done being developed. Look at all the moves it could've learned but didn't. Serious, Gust, Sleep Powder, Tackle, what kind of moveset is that. And even if Butterfree lacked a decent move set in the first gen, Butterfree would've came in handy later. Add to the fact that Ash only had 5 Pokemon on hand for most of Kanto, what purpose did it serve to release it if, Ash was never going to have a real full team until Orange Islands.

Again that's the problem with your argument. Who SAYS they were done being developed.

Gliscor? No way in your argument was it done being developed. It was released to be furthered developed. That contradicts your argument right there. When a Pokemon is released for "training" it's obvious that said Pokemon isn't done being developed.

What about Snivy? What makes her so important? Snivy doesn't have a dream, doesn't have a goal, and has no real problems. Outside of forcing a problem on her.

However again as I argued before, if it makes sense and you are fine with made up stories for Pokemon to develop them further, why not do that to all the Pokemon you think are done?

Snivy is done, she has the perfect moveset, can only possibly replace one of her moves, for likely another boring grass move which is redundant in terms of her already having Leaf Storm. And similar to Sewaddle can ONLY evolve. However let's look at Sewaddle in comparison, seems to me Sewaddle actually has more of a reason to stay on Ash's team than Snivy. Snivy only because it's a starter.

So what in the world makes Snivy so much more damn important than Sewaddle?

And why doesn't Ash just release all his Pokemon then. Gible's done, let's release it. Let's go through all the list of Pokemon Ash has, they are all done, so why not release them. Hell let's not go through the list, let's just think of a Pokemon Ash has and call it released for good. Can't develop further can it? so let's just release it. Because releasing a Pokemon permanently is so much better than ever seeing it again. Hell let's just not have Ash have any Pokemon, he doesn't need any Pokemon.

And if you couldn't tell, yes I'm really pissed if only for that previous paragraph in this post. Ugh, why is everyone so frustrating to me? Could you stop contradicting yourselves? Please?

Whats up with all the Tsutarja hate?

Was that towards me? Because if it was I don't hate Snivy. Snivy is fine and everything but I don't see why people think just because Snivy is superior to Sewaddle means it can be developed further than Sewaddle.

I mean what, it would only take at most two episodes, for Snivy to get tired of Ash and abandon him for good. While just evolution alone for Sewaddle should take two episodes + whatever episodes it takes for them to take effect. Likewise maybe Swadloon becomes depressed and it takes a few episodes alone for character development to have Ash get Swadloon out of its depression so it evolves into Leavanny. That's already more episodes than can be devoted to Snivy.

Again I don't hate Snivy, and I don't want her released any more than any other Pokemon, but why not be the devil's advocate and say "What makes Snivy so special that it can be developed further than Sewaddle?" she already beat Ash's Rival's likely strongest Pokemon already, she definitely can't be Unova's Infernape.

Back
Top Bottom