• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

@Gwando; True misty had a full team by the end but her end took a long time to come and Johto was notorious for being fillertastic so there was much to do beside catching pokemon. All male sidekicks never had over 4 at once and I assume the main reason Dawn and May had full teams because the had there own side plots.

Misty had a full team by the hatching of Togepi... With Goldeen, Staryu, Starmie, Horsea, Psyduck, and Togepi... that was long before Johto. Not to mention they revealed that the Seel/Dewgong at Cerulean Gym also belonged to her... making it so that she owned six Pokemon before Togepi hatched.

Yeah but she had three pokemon early and they didn't right as much filler back then so they were looking for things to do. And see didn't need to give that much. Not to mention you made a mistake too Dewgong isn't misty it belongs to gym. As evidence by the name of its bulbapedia. She's going to gone really soon so what's the point of giving her another pokemon right after Dragonite

She's going to gone really soon so what's the point of giving her another pokemon right after Dragonite
She still has a bit more than a year left before she presumably leaves. She could catch another Pokémon (say around January) that would be handled similarly to May's Eevee. The point would be giving an underused Pokémon some screentime while possibly promoting Generation VI.

What does everyone think of the likelihood of Iris' Excadrill and Emolga being released / left somewhere for training during the pre-League filler? I quite like the idea of her only having Axew and Dragonite.

She's going to gone really soon so what's the point of giving her another pokemon right after Dragonite
She still has a bit more than a year left before she presumably leaves. She could catch another Pokémon (say around January) that would be handled similarly to May's Eevee. The point would be giving an underused Pokémon some screentime while possibly promoting Generation VI.

I was under the impression it was less than year given Ash's badge count so yeah zero point

I was under the impression it was less than year given Ash's badge count so yeah zero point
Best Wishes can (and almost certainly will) be continued after the Unova League via a "filler" saga akin to the Orange Islands and Battle Frontier. The series will go on until Generation VI is released, which will most likely happen in September 2013.

What does everyone think of the likelihood of Iris' Excadrill and Emolga being released / left somewhere for training during the pre-League filler? I quite like the idea of her only having Axew and Dragonite.

Her first pokemon and the pokemon which keeps her from taking things too serious released? Never going to happen. Excadrill is hugely popular and Emolga has the cute factor. Every female trainer needs at least one pokemon with the cute factor.

Don't ask me why, but every female main character has had to bear that burden.

Best Wishes can (and almost certainly will) be continued after the Unova League via a "filler" saga akin to the Orange Islands and Battle Frontier. The series will go on until Generation VI is released, which will most likely happen in September 2013.

Yeah but I'm been lead to believe the last year. I'm lead to believe gen 6 would be a few months earlier (around the time of the year BW2 started)

Posted a prediction a few weeks ago, so I'll post it again.

Pikachu-herpderp
Unfezant- Done
Krookodile- Done
Leavanny- Done
Boldore- Most likely isnt evolving. But hey, Trip's Gurdurr evolved, so who knows?

Samurott- Trip has Serperior and Bianca has Emboar as their signature starters for a reason...

Pignite- Either this or Emboar, I see it going either way.
Servine- Seeing Snivy fight Serperior would look stupid.
Scrafty- Will happen between August and the next region imo.
Palpitoad- Doubtful but very possible

Samurott- Trip has Serperior and Bianca has Emboar as their signature starters for a reason...

It could still be debuted by Cabernet. I don't see Mijumaru evolving as long as she has Futachimaru and uses it somewhat regularly. Pokabu only evolved after Bel's Chaobu evolved into Enbuoh. I think after Jalorda has debuted, Tsutarja might evolve, but I rather see her stay as she is. I don't see Satoshi having the same fully evolved starter as a rival in BW because all of the rivals that have a starter are fairly identified to it unlike Shinji in DP who was more associated with other species than Dodaitose.

I'd also like Dent to catch the Riolu we've seen on the posters. Since Iris' latest capture was spoiled there and in the opening, maybe Dent's will be as well.

Seems a lot shorter.

oops I was wrong Black and White came in Japan september so it will be over a year I guess still doesn't.

So I guess they can give Iris another pokemon but they don't have to.

Your assumption of time is based on false logic... the time between games has increased over generations

There were three years between one and two as well as between two and three...
Yet there were four years between three and four as well as between four and five...

Your assumption would presume that only three years would be between Five and Six when consecutive logic would state that either four or five years would be between five and six, meaning we have at least two years, possibly even three before Generation Six.

It could still be debuted by Cabernet. I don't see Mijumaru evolving as long as she has Futachimaru and uses it somewhat regularly. Pokabu only evolved after Bel's Chaobu evolved into Enbuoh. I think after Jalorda has debuted, Tsutarja might evolve, but I rather see her stay as she is. I don't see Satoshi having the same fully evolved starter as a rival in BW because all of the rivals that have a starter are fairly identified to it unlike Shinji in DP who was more associated with other species than Dodaitose.

I'd also like Dent to catch the Riolu we've seen on the posters. Since Iris' latest capture was spoiled there and in the opening, maybe Dent's will be as well.

Burgundy is a joke character on top of that, she isn't Ash's rival.

She's still a recurring character that's very much identified with the line and will continue to feature it. It's her only Pokémon that's not fully evolved, I see no reason why it shouldn't evolve too and feature the species in the Animé rather than wait for Satoshi's Mijumaru to evolve twice.

She's still a recurring character that's very much identified with the line and will continue to feature it. It's her only Pokémon that's not fully evolved, I see no reason why it shouldn't evolve too and feature the species in the Animé rather than wait for Satoshi's Mijumaru to evolve twice.

Even if she was to debut it. (Which I have my doubts to be honest) It doesn't stop Oshawott from evolving all the way. If Samurott happens before the league, then Oshawott will only be a Dewott for a few episodes then evolve fully. A'la Infernape, Charizard and Mamoswine for example.

If they really wanted her to debut it, then she should have Samurott in the Junior Cup considering Trip has Serperior and Bianca has Emboar and she has had her Dewott longer than both of them had their respective starters.

Last edited:
Even if she was to debut it. (Which I have my doubts to be honest) It doesn't stop Oshawott from evolving all the way.

In my opinions, it does. Whenever a recurring character, a rival, is heavily associated with one Pokémon, it's always prevented other characters from getting that Pokémon too. Kojiro's Sabonea didn't evolve because it wouldn't really make sense to have both Kojiro and Harley heavily showcasing Noctus. For the same reason, in DP, Shinji was much more associated with Elekid/Eleboo/Elekible than he was with Dodaitose, who for his starter Pokémon really didn't get a lot of screentime. That left Satoshi's to get the show. On the opposite, Kengo and Jun had their Pottaishi and Emperte heavily associated with them while Hikari's Pochama wasn't evolving.

I kinda think the same thing's happening here. The final forms of starters seem very associated with Bel and Shooti, it's definitely their go to Pokémon, their strongest Pokémon, the one with the most appearances, and the same can be said for Cabernet. Futachimaru is her signature Pokémon, the one she's most associated with, the one who was featured the most. I don't think they would have given it to her, nor would they have made it her signature Pokémon, if they planned to feature it and Daikenki heavily with Satoshi.

Right now, I'm kind of hoping Cilan gets a new Poke soon just so he and Iris can have an equal number of Pokemon in their party; I'd like to see him with something new to refresh his current team, anway. He'd probably get a previous generation Pokemon, which would be perfectly fine with me.

Right now, I'm kind of hoping Cilan gets a new Poke soon just so he and Iris can have an equal number of Pokemon in their party; I'd like to see him with something new to refresh his current team, anway. He'd probably get a previous generation Pokemon, which would be perfectly fine with me.

Since Krookodile and Dragonit were spoiled in the opening, and Dragonite in the promotional poster, I wonder if a possible capture for Cilan and/or other characters is hiding in there too. Assuming the opening takes us all the way through the League, it could be that Stephan, Bianca and Trip, or Cilan, are having some unrevealed Pokémon hinted in there.

In the opening, not counting main character/rival's pokémon, legendary Pokémon and Krookodile/Dragonite, there are 38 Pokémon.

Glaceon, Blitzle and Patrat appeared in BW085; Alomomola, Wailord, Wingull, Rattat, Frillish and Swanna appeared in BW086; Larvitar, Basculin and Cubchoo in BW088; Hydreigon in BW089 and Zebstrika and Stourland in BW090.

That leaves us with 22 pokémon. Some look to just be background (Cottonee, Ducklett, Tympole), others could be evolutions for main characters (Swoobat, Fraxure, Scrafty Not saying that any of these is happening it the near future.) and others already belong to main/recurring characters (Zebstika, Minccino, Stoutland, Bisharp). Wailord, Jellicent, Mantine, Alomomola, all could appear in an upcoming Marlon episode since he's featured in the opening. Adler might use Bouffalant in a battle after the WTJC. We'll have to see if the CotD in the World Tournament Junior Cup change their Pokémon to some featured in there.

So this leaves us with... Yanmega, Altaria, Mandibuzz, Arcanine, Mienfoo, Braviary, Liepard, Mienshao, Eevee, Lapras and Dewgong. I could Bianca at the League with Mienfoo/Mienshao and/or Dewgong. I could see Stephan with a Braviary and/or Arcanine. I could see Cilan catching an Eevee hopefully to evolve it into a Vaporeon or the Riolu in the poster, maybe already evolved as a Lucario unless Shirona sticks around for the Rocket plot episodes and it's hers.

Unsurprisingly, the opening seems to feature lots of Water and Dragon pokémon... like... those two gyms we've yet to see. Just throwing this stuff out there. XD

Back
Top Bottom