• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

There's a specific topic for the xy anime http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f228/ashs-pokemon-xy-team-predictions-speculation-152737/.

Either we move the discussion there or a mod can merge these topics.

Oh, I didn't even see that lol. It doesn't really make sense to have both though...

yeah....why is there a capture thread and an ash's captures thread? o_O

I assume because when the forum was split for XY, BW was still going on so they had a separate thread for all the BW stuff and the XY stuff. Although they should of switched back by now.

Yeah, that's my fault for being away for the past week. Oopsie daisy. Though it'd be much appreciated if you guys told me or the anime mods instead of posting here about it. It'd make it much easier for me to catch things.

Well I don't think I actually posted any full speculation for BW yet so lets try this out:

Ash:

Pikachu
Greninja
Talonflame
Gardevoir
Ivysaur/Venusaur
Honedge/Tyrunt

Serena:

Braixen
Vivillion
Meowstic(F)
Skiddo
Floette
Wartortle

Clemont:

Diggersby
Chespin
Charmeleon/Charizard

@ Gym:

Heliolisk
Magneton
Magnemite

Bonnie:

Dedenne
1 other pokemon(perhaps an Azurill or Cleffa)

Jessie:

Wobbuffet
Pancham/Pangoro
Litleo/Pyroar

James:

Inkay/Malamar
Pumpkaboo

For the starters, I think Chespin will either stay Chespin until the end or become Quilladin very far down the line. Froakie and Fennekin I think will fully evolve, both near the later 1/4 of the XY series.

I'm hoping Clemont catches at least one Electric type (this time not specifically for Bonnie), maybe Jolteon or something. Serena I'd like to see get a Water type as her next Pokemon. Like a Pokemon in the Marill line.

yeah....why is there a capture thread and an ash's captures thread? o_O

The latter was a separate thread we'd created for the XY forum, and this was simply a side-effect of when we merged the two.

Yeah, that's my fault for being away for the past week. Oopsie daisy. Though it'd be much appreciated if you guys told me or the anime mods instead of posting here about it. It'd make it much easier for me to catch things.

I take responsibility. I didn't lock them straight away because I had been debating in my head whether or not it would be more efficient to merge the two threads (as well as the Rocket speculation thread we also had), then just got sidetracked by RL issues and forgot about it. But yeah, in the future it would be a lot better if people messaged us directly if they think there's been an oversight on our part. Mods are only human too, and sometimes things are going to slip below the radar, so we do appreciate it when users are able to talk to us about such things.

Last edited:
Anyways, on the topic of captures, I don't see Ash getting Gardevoir. It's an old Pokemon and already the signature Pokemon of Kalos's Champion (though they could choose not to showcase it with her.) A Mega evo would just be a temporary thing, and I'd rather he have new Pokemon than something we've seen quit a few times already.

Anyways, on the topic of captures, I don't see Ash getting Gardevoir. It's an old Pokemon and already the signature Pokemon of Kalos's Champion (though they could choose not to showcase it with her.) A Mega evo would just be a temporary thing, and I'd rather he have new Pokemon than something we've seen quit a few times already.

Well Ash does have Gible, plus it is an old pokemon with an upgrade for the new gen so it becomes more likely.

Also there has only been one semi important Gardevoir(Concordia's) and maybe to an extent the one from the Hunter J episode. Other then that, the rest have just been cameo here and there.

Yeah, but it's still an older Pokemon, and the show tries to put new Pokemon first to advertise them. Diantha or someone else can showcase Mega Gardevoir, and they could give Ash new Pokemon to focus on. Don't get me wrong - I'd like Ash to have a Gardevoir too.I just don't see it happening at this point.

Yeah, but it's still an older Pokemon, and the show tries to put new Pokemon first to advertise them. Diantha or someone else can showcase Mega Gardevoir, and they could give Ash new Pokemon to focus on. Don't get me wrong - I'd like Ash to have a Gardevoir too.I just don't see it happening at this point.

Except with the way the hew games are set up, it really doesn't make any sense for Ash to only use new pokemon. I mean there is only like 66 pokemon. The writers would literally have to try to ignore pokemon for them to not be showcased.

Again, Gardevoir not only get the fairy typing so she can advertise that, she also gets a mega evolution so she can advertise that.

I'm not just giving him some random older pokemon like Ponyta or Zigzagoon. I have only given the new cast older pokemon who have received some sort of upgrade in the new game.

Personally I don't see Ash getting any Pre 6th Gen pokes on his team, not until after he's filled the remaining 3 slots, and only then waaaay down the line. Doubt he'll make any pre 6th captures, just bring back a few with possible Mega Evo's. I mean hey, Sycamore was working with a Garchomp to find out about mega evolution. Maybe he figures it out and gives Ash a the stone. Perfect opportunity for some Gible action. One can hope.

But anyway, I've totally convinced myself that Ash will get a Tyrunt, so I'm gonna be pretty disappointed when he doesn't get one haha. As for the other 2 spots, I don't know. He should get a grass type, and I don't like Skiddo or Pumpkaboo so Phantump would be great. The lack of new pokes makes it hard to pick a team.

Hmmmm, 6th spot. Who to have. Don't want Pancham. I have a Pangoro on my Y team and it's easily the most useless, plus he already has a Dark/Fighting combo poke. Would love for him to catch a Skrelp, but somehow I don't see it. Honedge maybe? or a Bergmite? Would be kinda cool to see a big lumbering Ice tank on Ash's team.

I could also see him with a Meowstic. Don't like any 6th Gen fairy's so none of those please

Pikachu
Froakie
Fletchling
Tyrunt
Phantump
Skrelp/Honedge/Bergmite/Espurr

Now to wait for that to totally not happen :)

Despite Ash already having a flying type Hawlucha, being flying/fighting, would be interesting.

With the chespin episode approaching i think that will be a capture for Ash as well.

Skelp would be interesting, but with the exception of Muk the writers tend to avoid poison types.

Carbink for possible fairy type.

Edit: Chespin for clemont it seems. The race for Ash's grass type is still open.

Last edited:
I really just hope Serena's Fennekin eventually evolve into Braixen and Delphox. It is my favorite Pokémon line, with Delphox being my favorite Pokémon and I'd love to see it in the main cast.

With the lack of battle exposure coming from the fact that Serena doesn't ever have a clear goal, we'll be lucky if her Fennekin even reaches Braixen. At this point Greninja has the liklyhood of being the only fully evolved G6 starter to be own by a main cast member.

Judging from the most recent episode Chespin is going to be the seasonal joker much like Oshawat was last series.
As such i am glad it's not one of Ash's captures, but i was a little surprised that there were 2 clemont centered episodes in a row.

This does leave us with the question of what will be Ash's grass type. The gogoat line has been featured with the journalist so no-go there. One of the grass/ghost types (or both) seems most likely.

I don't see why Ash necessarily has to have a Grass-type. The writers might want to forget that "pattern" this time around.

I don't see why Ash necessarily has to have a Grass-type. The writers might want to forget that "pattern" this time around.

Sure, it is possible that the writers want to break the pattern that there must always be a grass type in Ash's team but it's highly unlikely.

It's almost an unwritten rule like "Pikachu will never evolve" and "At least one Grass type on the hero's team".

I don't think any trades will happen between the staff members, I think Chespin will stay with Ash. I hope that if there is trading in this series, that it's with Ash having Pumkaboo/Phantump and then trading it with someone's Pumkaboo/Phantump for evolution. Though if that did happen, I hope it's an accidental trade unless the Pokemon specifically hint/ask for trade evolution and trade back if possible.

I really doubt Froakie won't evolve. It would be awkward to have all three starters in their unevolved forms by the end of the saga, and I doubt they would let Clemont's or Serena's evolve while Ash's stays as a Froakie.

Back
Top Bottom