• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

The Hitmonlee from that episode belonged to another trainer; it doesn't count towards Ash's total.

I know, that's why I said "borrowed" and "if we're getting really crazy".

Even if it were counted, Ash used the Hitmonlee in Saffron City's Fighting Dojo -- a Kanto region location. Ash never obtained a Fighting-type pokemon in the Hoenn region.

Ah, my apologies, I forgot Hoenn. I knew he had six and I just guessed one from each region, though two of them are from Unova. My bad.

Forgot about the other Fighting ones he got lol

Anyways...

Steel types he could have gotten in the following regions:

Kanto - Magnemite (also electric type)
Johto - Scizor (also Bug type) or Skarmory
Hoenn - Aron
Sinnoh - Shieldon or Magnezone (also electric type)
Unova - Pawniard
Kalos - Honedge (also Ghost type)

Psychics he could have gotten in the following regions:

Kanto and Johto is a tricky one

Hoenn - Spoink or Beldum (also steel type)
Sinnoh - Mime Jr.
Unova - Woobat
Kalos - Espurr or Meowstic (2nd evolution)

Ghost types he could have gotten in these following regions:

Kanto - Gastly
Sinnoh - Rotom (electric and ghost type)
Unova - Frillish
Kalos - Phantump (one of my guesses earlier for what pokemons he would get in Kalos)

Other Poison types he could have gotten:

Kanto - Already has Bulbasaur and Muk. Could have also gotten Weedle
Johto - Spinarak
Hoenn - Gulpin
Sinnoh - Stunky
Unova - Venipede or Foongus
Kalos - Skrelp

Last edited:
At the very least, Ash should catch a Fairy-type in this region.

There really isn't any good fairy types to give Ash this generation.

Sure my favorite is Florges, but I'd be hard pressed to believe that Ash would get said Pokemon especially when they just had an episode where Bonnie wanted a Flabebe (even though it turned out to be a trainer Pokemon), so it would be hard to believe Bonnie WOULDN'T get all up in any Flabebe line's face to allow Ash to capture said Pokemon.

None of the other fairy type Pokemon technically suit Ash or even viable options. A lot of them have already shown up belonging to other people. Klefki would have been the best bet, but I don't know with Hawlucha and the Pikachu short, I'm not sure a standalone fairy will work. Past generation fairy type Pokemon aren't viable options for obvious reasons,

As for ghost types there's still Phantump, but I don't know, with Hawlucha it's hard to guess Ash's team. I mean of the most likely options and the extreme likelihood they shouldn't double up on further types Ash is only left with and exclude all the ones that have already shown up:

Phantump
Skiddo
Goomy
Bergmite
Honedge

Those really seem like the only viable options available to Ash. I'll be very surprised if Ash gets Tyrunt or even Amaura or anything else for that matter, and unless it it's a step closer to Florges, some Pokemon choices I will not be happy with even though I'll be surprised.

Of the options I listed the ones that make the most sense to me are: Phantump or Skiddo, and Goomy. Honedge seems unlikely given that it's an inanimate object Pokemon, and I couldn't care less about anything that isn't Aegislash (which we know Ash wouldn't get even if he did get a Honedge), and I quite frankly dislike Bergmite as a viable choice, of course the writers would give Ash Bergmite just because of its similarities to Snorunt being that it's pure ice, like Snorunt was in Hoenn, so I hope I'm wrong in that department.

Skiddo is an option even though I far much prefer Phantump and will be disappointed if Phantump doesn't happen. And Goomy just seems like the most likely random choice given the reduced number of options.

If I find Ash's team to be underwhelming and disappointing, I blame gamefreak for the limited number of new Pokemon. ~32 Pokemon lines to distribute is just not enough, there could have been more ground, poison, and fairy types.

Marill/Azumarill is a perfect fit for Ash. Klefki would work just fine in his team, too.

I have wondered this for awhile....how come the show never had Ash get other Electric type pokemons besides his Pikachu?

So it seems I've gone a bit overboard with thinking about what Ash's remaining possibilities are for Pokémon. If we're assuming that he'll only have Kalos Pokémon on his team, not catch anything already caught by the main cast, and not overlap types anymore, than here are his possibilities:

• The Flabébé Line
  • The Skiddo Line
  • Furfrou
  • The Espurr Line
  • The Honedge Line
  • The Swirlix Line
  • The Spritzee Line
  • The Tyrunt Line
  • The Amaura Line
  • Sylveon
  • Carbink
  • The Goomy Line
  • Kelfki
  • The Phantump Line
  • The Bergmite Line
  • Xerneas & Zygarde

For starters, we all know he isn't going to get Xerneas and Zygarde, but I put them on anyway. Taking that group of Pokémon, we can now see what suits him and what doesn't. (Or, in my opinion at least) This is what I think is most likely, and everything else not on here is what I think is unlikely:

• The Skiddo Line
  • The Espurr Line
  • The Honedge Line
  • Carbink
  • The Goomy Line
  • Kelfki
  • The Phantump Line
  • The Bergmite Line

I think it's kind of obvious that he'll catch a grass-type, so either Skiddo or Phantump will be caught. That leaves one spot left, and to be honest, I see that either going to Klefki, Bergmite, Espurr, or Honedge. Klefki, Espurr, and Honedge all give Ash a type that he's never used before, and Klefki will let Ash use a type he's barely seen before. On the other hand, Bergmite is that cute Pokémon that evolves into something less cuter, which heavily reminds me of Donphan and Glalie. I can see it going either way with these four. So ya, enjoy my bias speculating.

My apologies if there are any errors in this post; I've been working on a project for the past two hours, my eyes feel strained and frankly, I'm extremely tired. By the way, and totally off-topic, @Reila; that signature is badass.

I have a heavy doubt he will catch Carbink since it's heavily featured in the movie, and related to a legendary.

If we're sticking with Kalos Pokemon only:
Ash (choose 2!):
Skiddo- a grass type, might evolve
OR
Phantump- I could see him with one, Trevenant will likely be used as the cliched "angry forest Pokemon" so it will likely NOT evolve
Goomy- it will be interesting to see him catch another Dragon type, might be the Kalos version of Gible though
Bergmite- a throwback to Snorunt?

Serena:
Espurr- Most likely given/catching a female one, it would be interesting to see how she would handle a psychic type.
Spritzee- A counterpart to Millefeui's Slurpuff; if they're going to show off a fairy type on a main team, it will go to Serena most likely.
Litleo- very small chance since Fennekin is the fire-type, plus it's another "cat" Pokemon.
Flabebe/Floette- Another "girly" Pokemon, this one is up in the air since Bonnie showed more interest in Flabebe than Serena in that recent episode.

Clemont:
I just want him to bring his Heliolisk along on the journey after Ash gets his badge. Gym leaders traveling with Ash usually have at least one Pokemon of their type specialty, I really hope Dedenne doesn't actually "count" since it's not really a fighter and is Bonnie's.

scare quotes!

Given recent episode titles, such as the one where there's a fight between two Mega Lucario, the chance of Ash or one of his companions getting a Lucario is pretty high, because Ash would need to get a Pokemon with a Mega Evolution at some point or another, and Lucario would be the perfect choice.

For Clemont, I hope he takes his Heliolisk with him when he gets back to Lumiose for the 5th gym battle, plus we could use more variety in body types for Electric types than just Pikachu and another electric rodent like Dedenne. Serena could use an Espurr or a Spritzee, since she can't rely on just Fennekin alone.

How is Lucario the perfect choice, when Ash already has a Charizard?

Given recent episode titles, such as the one where there's a fight between two Mega Lucario, the chance of Ash or one of his companions getting a Lucario is pretty high, because Ash would need to get a Pokemon with a Mega Evolution at some point or another, and Lucario would be the perfect choice.
Pretty sure that with the episode with two Mega Lucario the other Mega Lucario refers to Korrina's grandfather Gurkinn's Mega Lucario, as can also be seen in the trailer for upcoming XY episodes released a few weeks ago. I also think that if Ash, Clemont or Serena would get a Lucario, this would have been spoilered in the new opening or ending. Instead it is now confirmed Ash will catch Hawlucha very soon.

Also, Ash already has two Pokémon at Oak's that can Mega Evolve (Charizard and Heracross), and to me it's more likely one of those (most probably Charizard) will be Ash's future Mega Evolution Pokémon.

I'd rather he catch Snover, who fills two types on Ash's team, and is, in my opinion, a perfect 'Ash Pokémon'.

Though I still prefer that he only catch Kalos Pokémon and bring back Charizard/Heracross for his mega.

For Clemont, I hope he takes his Heliolisk with him when he gets back to Lumiose for the 5th gym battle, plus we could use more variety in body types for Electric types than just Pikachu and another electric rodent like Dedenne. Serena could use an Espurr or a Spritzee, since she can't rely on just Fennekin alone.

I never understood the point of overmarketing something to death in regards to Pokemon and NOT give it to one of the main characters.

Like Lucario, it has probably had the most focus of any non main character Pokemon, and yet it STILL isn't one of the Pokemon that a main character has.

I just never understood this, sure the anime writers had their hands tied with Korinna and her Lucario BUT why give her Grandfather a Lucario or even going to back to Unova, why give Cameron a Riolu/Lucario.

Maylene, Riley, 8th movie were fine, since you know that was then, but they are putting too much focus on Lucario and yet they aren't going to give one to the main characters, I honestly just cannot see the point. It's a waste of screentime for the main character's actual Pokemon. It's like give a main character a Lucario for god's sakes and just move on from the Pokemon already.

Edit: However that's my point, it seems way too unlikely to give a main character a Lucario now, I mean it's been overexposed so much, it would be like giving Serena a Cyndaquil/Bulbasaur/Squirtle.

I hope Hawlucha doesn't suffer under the Buizel effect: when it appears to be very powerful and ferocious in its debut, but eventually becomes milder and weaker as the series goes on.

I have wondered this for awhile....how come the show never had Ash get other Electric type pokemons besides his Pikachu?

Since Ash always has an Electric-type on his team, the writers probably don't see the point of giving him another one.

I guess it's for that same reason that none of Ash's other Pokemon know Electric-type attacks.

Haven't posted estimated teams in long while, so here we go:

Ash
- Pikachu
- Greninja
- Talonflame
- Hawlucha
- Skiddo/Phantump
- Goomy line/Bergmite line/Honedge line

Pretty straightforward for Ash. Pikachu, a grass type, water type, fire type, bird pokemon (in this case 2), and a wildcard. If Ash were to get an all Kalos pokemon team, it's either Skiddo or Phantump at this point. I really don't mind who he gets out of the two although if he gets Phantump, I'd prefer Honedge not be one of his potential wildcards if only to try and not overlap types that much. Speaking of wildcards, there's not a whole bunch of choices. I really could see either of the three pokemon lines I listed. Although I'm hoping for a surprise. They showed Flabebe but not Floette or Florges so it could be possible for Ash to catch Floette and evolve it to Florges. That would be an interesting surprise imo. But at this point, the wildcard is something I am definitely not too sure about. I'm still surprised by Hawlucha which I am excited to see in the anime btw. Also, I could see Ash get a 7th pokemon, either another Kalos pokemon a la Gible or bring back an older pokemon during a potential filler saga a la Phanpy/Donphan to evolve it. Something of that sort perhaps. I do think it's possible to also see Ash with a Mega pokemon in the way, way future (league or filler saga maybe). My hope is for ORAS to introduce new Megas, including one for Sceptile, in which case, I would like to see that for Ash personally but at this point this is only a wish for now.

Serena (by the end of the series)
- Fennekin or Braixen
- Spritzee line/Skiddo or Phantump/unevovled or evolved Kalos pokemon
- Swampert
- Altaria/Banette/evolved or unevolved Hoenn pokemon

By the end of the series, I could see Serena either keep her Fennekin as is a la Piplup/Axew except without being out of its pokeball, or evolve it at least once. I personally prefer Fennekin but at the end of the day, I'm okay with whatever happens. I do think somewhere down the line, she should get another Kalos pokemon. Spritzee perhaps, Skiddo or Phantump are possible options (so whatever grass type Ash doesn't get). Some sort of Kalos pokemon. Then for ORAS promotions purposes, I could see her get a starter herself. I prefer Mudkip because it could get some more screen time, even if it's only a little bit more than what it got in AG. We could see it get caught in the fall/winter later this year, evolve it in the next year, and send Serena off with a Swampert. I wouldn't mind if that happened. And then maybe another Hoenn pokemon. Maybe something that can already be caught in-game for XY. Maybe it can be a pokemon she catches evolved? Not a popular choice, but it's an option.

Clemont (by the end of the series)
- Chespin or Chesnaught
- Bunnelby
- Manectric
- Dedenne (w/ Bonnie)

Clemont might have most of his team set by this point. I could see Chespin stay as is or evolve all the way. Manectric would be a cool pokemon for him I think. It could promote ORAS, reflect on how he uses electric pokemon at the gym...I think it would work out pretty well. And I think as far as Bonnie goes, she'll probably just stick with Dedenne.

With an Hawlucha capture by Ash imminent I wonder since it's partly flying if we get another Pigeot/Primeape scenario with Talonflame or Hawlucha. With a mega evolution Charizard (Fire/Flying normally/ Mega Y and Fire/Dragon as Mega X), if he gets it we had 2 Fire/Flying (assuming Ash evolves Fletchling which I see very likely since if he had a region specific bird he always evolved it full from what I remember) and 1 Fighting/Flying types on his team. I don't see him having 3 part flying types (and even 2 Fire/Flying) at once. With this I also kinda rule out a Lucario because in the sum it would mean 2 Fire/Flying, 1 Fighting/Flying and 1 Fighting/Steel which is very one sided with 3 partly Flying and 2 Partly Fighting Pokèmon. This seems to be too much, even for the Pokèmon Anime. It makes me think a Primeape/Pigeot scenario is very likely if they do this. How do you think about it (even though it's, if at all far in the future)?

So it's Charizard, Heracross and Sceptile, potential mega evolutions for Ash, yay! oh and Gible but I doubt Ash will ever get a Garchomp.

I would love to see Ash with a Mega Sceptile! If Ash was ever to get a Mega pokemon in the way, way future, my first choice at this point would go for Mega Sceptile.

Back
Top Bottom