• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

The character images for this year's Pikachu Short have been uploaded to the official TV TOKYO site.

The Pokémon seem to be presented in an order from most to least important:

- Pikachu
- Meowth
- Dedenne
- Pancham
- Braixen
- Frogadier
- Chespin
- Hawlucha
- Bunnelby
- Luxray
- Fletchinder
- Noibat
- Wobbuffet
- Inkay
- Gourgeist
- Snorlax
- Gothita
- Florges

As you can see, squeezed between Ash's Fletchinder and TRio's Pokémon is Noibat, which indicates that it may be caught by a main protagonist.

I do agree that it's a bit early to be speculating whether Goodra will be released or not, but also I think what should be kept in mind is that not every movie has showcased the characters' full teams up to that point, some prime examples being The First Movie, Celebi: Voice of the Forest, Pokemon Heroes, and, more recently, the first two Black and White films. Besides, we also have more potential team members on the way but we've heard nothing from them yet, let alone who their trainers are.

Update: Lastly, given how much development Goomy/Sliggoo has had ever since it was caught, it would be a total waste if it left Ash permanently, but those are just my thoughts.

Last edited:
I do agree that it's a bit early to be speculating whether Goodra will be released or not, but also I think what should be kept in mind is that not every movie has showcased the characters' full teams up to that point.

True, but each year, the TV TOKYO movie website is updated to include the main character's Pokémon as of the latest anime episode. The website may not spoil captures or evolutions, but it does feature Pokémon already acquired by the main cast (even if those Pokémon end up evolving prior to the film).

Ex. Last year movie's Ash bio (uploaded to the site last March, not there now) didn't feature Hawlucha but showcased Fletchling. The capture and evolution took place prior to M17, but the website indicates that at least Pokemon already on the main cast will be included in its trainer's bio.

The fact that Fletchling was included in last year film's Ash bio while Sliggoo is not in this year's bio is very suspicious.

Until we have evidence pointing to the contrary, we are supposed to believe that Goodra won't be on Ash's team by the time this movie rolls in July.

I do agree that it's a bit early to be speculating whether Goodra will be released or not, but also I think what should be kept in mind is that not every movie has showcased the characters' full teams up to that point.

True, but each year, the TV TOKYO movie website is updated to include the main character's Pokémon as of the latest anime episode. The website may not spoil captures or evolutions, but it does feature Pokémon already acquired by the main cast (even if those Pokémon end up evolving prior to the film).

Ex. Last year movie's Ash bio (uploaded to the site last March, not there now) didn't feature Hawlucha but showcased Fletchling. The capture and evolution took place prior to M17, but the website indicates that at least Pokemon already on the main cast will be included in its trainer's bio.

The fact that Fletchling was included in last year film's Ash bio while Sliggoo is not in this year's bio is very suspicious.

Until we have evidence pointing to the contrary, we are supposed to believe that Goodra won't be on Ash's team by the time this movie rolls in July.
Okay, fair enough, though the people running the site may be holding off until Sliggoo fully evolves, especially considering that it does so twice in the course of ten episodes while Fletchling took thirty-three to do so once.

Last edited:

Okay, fair enough, though the people running the site may be holding off until Sliggoo fully evolves, especially considering that it does so twice in the course of ten episodes while Fletchling took thirty-three to do so once.

The thing with that is the bios show Serena with a Braixen, which doesn't evolve until the next episode. Goodra we've known about since the new opening, so it's not like they'd be spoiling anything if they put it up.

Plus, as mentioned before, Fletchling was used for the Diancie movie even though it evolved by the time it came out. So Sliggoo could've easily been put in for it ahead of Goodra if they were really that concerned about spoilers.

The thing with that is the bios show Serena with a Braixen, which doesn't evolve until the next episode. Goodra we've known about since the new opening, so it's not like they'd be spoiling anything if they put it up.

Plus, as mentioned before, Fletchling was used for the Diancie movie even though it evolved by the time it came out. So Sliggoo could've easily been put in for it ahead of Goodra if they were really that concerned about spoilers.

Yeah, I had a feeling that argument wouldn't hold up too well. That being said, I guess we'll just have to wait and see, huh?

Last edited:
That Goodra leaves/is released wouldn't surprise me too much. Considering it's back-story we know so far, they could easily pull a Pigeot on it. I think I even considered this kind of possibility before Goodra was even caught, though not with a specific Pokèmon. I can't remember exactly but I don't want to search my old posts now.
Noibat/Noivern may be a capture by Serena because the relation of Sound/Music and a performance but I think this is a bit Farfetch'd to say.

Bottom note: Snorlax was already caught by Ash way back in the show but it would be a nice and unexpected surprise if this specific Snorlax would come back, even if it is just a temporary return or a movie special. I know stupid assumption, just don't shove it in my face.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but there is an image on the official Pokemon site's movie page that I just noticed.

LvJ9nO7.png

Ash's Goodra is not the only Pokemon missing from the picture. Ash's Fletchinder and Clemont's Luxray are also not there. I'm not saying that Fletchinder and Luxray will be released, at all, I'm just saying that not all Ash's Pokemon have to appear in advertisements for the movie. So, maybe Goodra will stay with Ash.

You could argue about the other advertisements that we have had for the upcoming Pikachu Short and movie, but we haven't had much advertisements that include Ash and co.'s Pokemon. For the movie, there's the Bio pages where Goodra is missing and the poster on the official Pokemon Movie website, where only Pikachu, Frogadier, Chespin, Dedenne, Braixen and Pancham are shown and the one that I just posted.

With the Pikachu Shorts, yes, they are all there, but there are bound to be more advertisements for the shorts. Plus, Emolga, Meowth, Crustle and Pignite weren't in some of the early advertisements for the PK24 Short that aired with M15, but they were in the Short. Emolga and Meowth were in some trailers of the PK24 Short, but Emolga and Meowth still weren't included with the other Pokemon who would appeared in the Short at the end of the trailers.

N2v2u0s.png
OnfXixQ.png
NU4Ij1n.png

Also, Pignite wasn't in the advertisements for the original poster for one that aired with Movie 15. Why didn't they spoil that? I don't know.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but there is an image on the official Pokemon site's movie page that I just noticed.

LvJ9nO7.png

Ash's Goodra is not the only Pokemon missing from the picture. Ash's Fletchinder and Clemont's Luxray are also not there. I'm not saying that Fletchinder and Luxray will be released, at all, I'm just saying that not all Ash's Pokemon have to appear in advertisements for the movie. So, maybe Goodra will stay with Ash.

You could argue about the other advertisements that we have had for the upcoming Pikachu Short and movie, but we haven't had much advertisements that include Ash and co.'s Pokemon. For the movie, there's the Bio pages where Goodra is missing and the poster on the official Pokemon Movie website, where only Pikachu, Frogadier, Chespin, Dedenne, Braixen and Pancham are shown and the one that I just posted.

With the Pikachu Shorts, yes, they are all there, but there are bound to be more advertisements for the shorts. Plus, Emolga, Meowth, Crustle and Pignite weren't in some of the early advertisements for the PK24 Short that aired with M15, but they were in the Short. Emolga and Meowth were in some trailers of the PK24 Short, but Emolga and Meowth still weren't included with the other Pokemon who would appeared in the Short at the end of the trailers.

N2v2u0s.png
OnfXixQ.png
NU4Ij1n.png

Also, Pignite wasn't in the advertisements for the original poster for one that aired with Movie 15. Why didn't they spoil that? I don't know.

Thank you. I highly doubt they would go through all of that character development and effort with Goomy only to release it.

LvJ9nO7.png

N2v2u0s.png
OnfXixQ.png
NU4Ij1n.png

Yeah but there's also one thing that hasn't been addressed, and that's the profile of Ash on the movie site.

I wish that there was ANY evidence that proves Goodra being in the movie, of some sort, but there isn't.

I don't WANT Goodra to be released, it doesn't make any sense, but of course the executive producers and writers would do something like this.

On another site there have been circulating titles for a two-parter (apparently XY069 and XY070) that pretty much confirm Goodra's release. Now remember these titles are NOT official at the moment, so I'm still kinda skeptical about it, but since there have been hints for Goodra leaving...

I should have some backstory on it to form a truly objective opinion about it, but seriously, if this is true, I seriously hate the idea. Why have Ash catch a Pokémon, evolve it twice, and then release it all in about 25 episodes, only to be part of some XY series sub-plot (or mini-arc if you like)? They could have crammed it in a cliche filler about a Pokémon being bullied by larger Pokémon, and Ash and co. helping it get stronger and defeat its enemies (which is kinda the idea of the whole Goomy thing I guess, as they set up this plot about it being driven away by Ariados and it will probably defeat them in its goodbye episode (and ironically, this filler I'm describing was actually the plot of a recent Goomy-related episode, the one with the Spoink)).

I personally also have little hope of Goodra returning (like at the League). I mean yeah it could happen, but why spend a two-parter on the release (again, if it's true) only to have it return later? Besides, it probably won't be left in the care of some Trainer Ash can call up on to easily transport it (too early to assume maybe, but it looks as if it will be returning to the swamp in the middle of nowhere it originally came from), besides Goodra doesn't have wings nor moves fast.

Finally, I shouldn't deny the fact that this has happened before (looking at Butterfree and Pidgeot (not counting Charizard and Gliscor since they returned)). Although Butterfree had (IMHO) outlived its potential, and it was time to move on as it was a symbol of Ash progressing as a Trainer. I guess this situation, if it turns out to be true, is most similar to Pidgeot, whose release also felt rather random and forced (I still think it's a pity, would've liked seen Ash and Pidgeot working together), and also had a backstory of its original home territory being threatened by evil Pokémon. Admittedly, if Goodra really does leave it'll still have some short time in action as a Goodra (which Pidgeot didn't have, as it was released immediately after evolving), but at least Pidgeotto stayed a whole region saga.

Either way, I'm just fed up if it's really true because I think the idea is unoriginal, Ash (who is often called weak by fans) finally has a huge powerhouse again and his first ever Pseudo, it's just way too soon IMHO, and most importantly, I think Goodra's potential is far from outlived. I'd be really interested to see Ash and Goodra together some more.

I should add that anything could still happen at this point and I probably shouldn't have such strong opinions yet as the conclusion to Ash and Goodra could still be great, but the sheer idea of it at the moment, I just can't wrap my head around it for some reason.

EDIT: Apparently the titles are confirmed to be true.

*Warning* Ranting. Don't bother reading, no one will care.

Ash catches a Pokemon, fully evolves it, and releases it all within 15 episodes.

What were the executive producers and writers thinking on this, I mean seriously, this isn't good. It completely undermines everything going for XY to pull this crap, I thought we were done with needless releases whether fans liked the Pokemon or not. And what if people liked Goomy/Sliggoo/Goodra, how intelligent would it be to release Goodra just for some idiotic reason, I'm sorry but I cannot think of any actual reason for this, but they weren't very smart about this. I hope one person hesitated and defended Ash keeping Goodra even if that person was overruled.

15 episodes, and the only purpose Goodra served was to give Ash a little padding for his 5th gym battle, because it isn't like the writers/executive producers could be bothered with producing anything decent. Couldn't give Ash a grass type, hell even Skiddo, or something resistant to electric types, no they failed at making the battle between Clemont

I don't care if this had backstory attached, this has to be the WORST release of a Pokemon ever. Other Pokemon maybe they weren't on for very long, or maybe they were long enough that as horrible as it was, okay, fine.

But since when did Ash have the luxury to catch a Pokemon just to release it. He only has 5 Pokemon for crying out loud, he didn't have six, we don't even know what he's going to catch, and I'm pretty sure it's not going to be caught before the movie, and even if something is caught, that still leaves one slot left. Ash should have caught his final 6th Pokemon, because at least then, releasing Goodra wouldn't leave as gaping of a hole on Ash's team. So we are basically left with a Pokemon that served no purpose, and outside of a gym battle, Goodra was filler, at least that's how they seem to be treating it, as if it could be skipped and no one would care about the lack of continuity.

I absolutely hate releases, I don't care if they are done well, Ash should NOT release Pokemon. He had more luxury to release Pokemon in 5th gen then he does now, and did he? No, but here we go, a story about how a group of Pokemon are incapable of taking of themselves, and need a savior, and yet it didn't need to be Ash that had to suffer just for a story. Ash should have never caught Goomy, because honestly it wouldn't have mattered. Serena or Clemont could've caught Goomy and it would turned out the same pointless affair.

At the end of this. Clemont and Serena get a Pokemon and an evolution. Ash only gets an evolution out of Frogadier, because Goodra being released makes it meaningless and pointless, after a measly 15 episodes, that I could've done without. Thank you XY, at least your still better than 5th gen. But there's just nothing you can do to make it up (in my eyes), you just ruined whatever decent opinion I had of the series.

With the release of the new episode titles something I've been fearing for a while seems to have been pretty much been conformed for me. Goodra will be leaving. Looking at past season formulas, it does make sense. Ash has never gotten a fully evolved Pokemon this early before. I mean he only has four badges and after ten episodes his Goomy is now a Goodra. Ash has gotten really strong far to quickly in the eyes of the show runners and to an extant I agree. If Goodra were to stay with Ash it runs the risk of just overshadowing all of Ash's other pokemon. If I were the show runners I would have goomy evolve about the same time, but have kept of the Goodra until at least six badges. I think the best hope for Goodra would be for it to pull a Gliscor and come back for the league.

Also I think Ash will/should catch a phantump and an avalugg. My logic for phantump is that it's the only new grass type that hasn't been shown yet. While yes it is still possible the he could catch a skiddo, but because skiddo has already shown up it does lower the odds. But who knows it could pull a torkal. Also phantump fills the place as the new type that Ash gets every region. The avalugg is just a taste thing. With Goodra most likly leaving he'll have an open slot, and I'd just like it to be filled with avalugg. No real justifiable reason. I just really like avalugg.

This is probably being done to keep things unpredictable. I'm willing to bet some researchers or whoever will be in the area helping to keep the peace so that Satoshi will be able to call back upon Numelgon when need be. That or the excuse could be Numelgon sensing "Satoshi needs me!" and arriving on the scene unexpectedly. There's a thousand different ways to rationalize its return whenever the heck someone feels like bringing it back.

Unlike many people, I don't have a problem with Satoshi releasing his pokemon per se but it is a crying shame that it has to happen when Numelgon has been on the cast for such a short time! I have really liked it (particularly as a Numera) and it just won't have been around for long enough to have made the lasting impression that even pokemon like Pigeot did! However this whole set up seems to be 100% in keeping with Satoshi's character and as long as it is an emotionally fulfilling episode I won't complain (too much :p) :-(

If Goodra is indeed leaving I hope it pulls a Gliscor and returns a last time for the Kalos League, really bad move by the writers, still XY is far better than BW, but now I fear they will screw it even more down the road...

Last edited:
Goodra's release is a crying shame but it makes me excited that Ash will have two more Kalos Pokemon to catch

Goodra's release is a crying shame but it makes me excited that Ash will have two more Kalos Pokemon to catch

Haha, I was just going to post this...literally word for word xD. That and the fact that I won't mind it leaving as much as long as it comes back for the league..somehow.

Ash has never gotten a fully evolved Pokemon this early before. I mean he only has four badges and after ten episodes his Goomy is now a Goodra.

Ash did have Butterfree even before he got his first Kanto Gym Badge, but granted it was a Bug-type that was meant to evolve early and it was released soon after.

I think the best hope for Goodra would be for it to pull a Gliscor and come back for the league.

But unlike Gliscor, who was given away solely for it to improve its battling skills and master Giga Impact, Goodra has no incentive to return to Ash for the league. Goodra's main priority has always been protecting other Pokémon from disasters and catastrophes. Almost all of Goodra's accomplishments thus far were the result of it fighting to prevent somebody else from getting hurt.

Even before it evolved into its final stage XY065, Goodra still felt guilty that Wooper and all of the other Pokémon had to suffer and it couldn't do anything about it. Goodra just doesn't have the heart to do anything other than protect its home and friends. I can't see it returning to Ash's custody at all.

Also phantump fills the place as the new type that Ash gets every region.

Ash didn't get a new type Pokémon in Hoenn, however.

Swellow - Normal/Flying - Both types were caught by Ash in Kanto (Pidgeot)
Sceptile - Grass - Kanto (Bulbasaur)
Corphish - Water - Kanto (Squirtle)
Torkoal - Fire - Kanto (Charizard)
Glalie - Ice - Orange Islands (Lapras)

And even if Ash does get a new type of Pokémon in this region, there are other options available for him besides Ghost. We have Fairy, Steel, and even Psychic. Any Gen VI pokemon that meet one or more of those types could easily meet that requirement.

Back
Top Bottom