• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

I actually think Rowlet would really suit Ash, putting me in mind of "maturer" Pokémon he has owned like Bulbasaur and Snivy. I can see it with a mix of their personalities.
However, I think either Litten or Popplio would suit Ash too. I think these Starters are all very diverse with a potential for multiple personality options and characteristics that could be designed to suit Ash or any other human character.
Would be interesting to see either Jesse or James catch a Starter Pokémon for a wee change tho ;)

I actually think Rowlet would really suit Ash, putting me in mind of "maturer" Pokémon he has owned like Bulbasaur and Snivy. I can see it with a mix of their personalities.

I personally don't see Rowlet as mature at the moment, though. It seemed pretty quirky in the trailer given its spin trick, plus we know that it can also rotate its face, which seems goofy. Rowlet just doesn't seem like Bulbasaur or Snivy to me.

I personally don't see Rowlet as mature at the moment, though. It seemed pretty quirky in the trailer given its spin trick, plus we know that it can also rotate its face, which seems goofy. Rowlet just doesn't seem like Bulbasaur or Snivy to me.

I see what you mean but at the same time I look at it's bow tie style and the fact that it is owl-based which for me generates a sense of refinement.
However, as I said in my initial comment, I think there is a potential for each of the new starters to exhibit a variety of personalities and characteristics that can be molded to Ash or any other character depending on what the writets choose to explore - Rowlet works as mature and refined (like Bulbasaur) but also as quirky and goody (like Oshawott), both of which suit Ash.

Don't give him all 3, it was a complete mess in the BW saga. It worked better during the earlier days 'cause we didn't know what direction the series was headed.

I also don't see the problem with Ash getting Rowlet and the regional bird, he has 3 dual-flying types in Kalos and it's not an issue. I genuinely want Ash to get a Rowlet, it would suit him perfectly, Popplio should go to the girl of the group, and Litten to the 2nd male. I imagine the 2nd male struggling to forge a relationship with Litten at first, with it then coming around after a few episodes.

I want Rowlet to be Ash's underdog, having a rough start and them coming out on top.

Don't give him all 3, it was a complete mess in the BW saga

I think that what went wrong in BW was that the writers sat in their confort zone and stoped pushing the development of the 3 starters after a certain time, rather than getting all 3. I'm sure that had the Kanto saga lasted a bit more with a more decent league Ash would have ended up with a very strong starter core.

You know the last three Generations we had what I call the "Yusuke" Pokemon----Piplup, Oshawott, and Chespin all shared similar characteristics and the anime took advantage of this by never letting them evolve and making them pretty omnipresent, though it decreased a bit from Piplup as Oshawott and Chespin saw less focus respectively. Anyway, I call them the Yusuke Pokemon because Yusuke Ohmura did Piplup and Oshawott, and I think he did Chespin, though it's never been confirmed. And the writers have experimented with them by giving them to Ash, the female lead, and the "side kick".

None of the Pokemon this time around really fit that mold, like I don't look at any of the three and go "this guy ain't gonna evolve and they're gonna shove it down our throats". Rowlet's the fan favorite, but he doesn't look as generically cute as those three did and is a bit unorthodox.

If the next series brings back the PokeAthalon in place of Sun and Moon's possible lack of a side quest---I don't think they want to go back to a aimless heroine like Misty and Iris---or some sort of performance, than Popplio would totally fit the best with the girl since it's a natural performer itself.

I also don't see the problem with Ash getting Rowlet and the regional bird, he has 3 dual-flying types in Kalos and it's not an issue.
I'd rather he not overload on Flying types this time, three of them was pretty excessive for my taste and his standards. Half a team is too much.
I honestly loved how Ash evolved his Kalos bird into a Fire type instead of catching a Pokémon of that type before Fletchling evolved but now I'm kinda bored overall. Have Rowlet pull double duty and I'm a-okay.

I think Rowlet and Litten would be great for Ash. As for Poplio, I think after Greninja just dominating XY, that Ash could use a break from the water starter this time around and the girl could have it.

If the girl does anything related to performing (either contests or tripokelons or something else), I think Poplio would be super fitting actually.

Back to Rowlet and Litten, maybe Ash could pull a DP and have 2 starters except this time, Rowlet can be the one that shines.

Even though I do think I'd rather if, after Greninja, Ash took a break from the Water-type this time around, I also think Poppilo looks like the one that would suit him the best. Still, Rowlet could cover his Flying-type slot for a different filler type... assuming he doesn't continue to get multiple Flying-types, or multiples of any other type. But I wouldn't be surprised if he still got the "regional early bird" anyway...

Though, really, I think it would help if we knew what each of the starters' final evolved forms are like first before passing full judgment.

Rowlet fits Ash like a glove. Grass starter, flying type, quirky. I'd say it's a pretty safe bet he gets it. Makes me wonder about the regional bird though. If it's really a woodpecker and gets a decent 2nd type I could see another 2 flying type team.

I can't see Ash with Litten. The writers seem to want to avoid giving Ash any kind of dog or cat and I think that trend continue's. If they were inclined to give him a fire cat I'd have thought they'd have just gone with Litleo. I think Ash will get a different line to fill his fire type slot. And that's if he even gets a fire type. I could easily see Ash going without a fire type this generation like he went without a Grass type in Kalos. He's already got so many strong fire types in reserve(Charizard, Infernape, Talonflame, Quilava, Torkoal, Pignite) and there's still a few types he hasn't even caught. I'd rather see Ash catch some of his uncaught types than add to his stockpile of fire Pokemon.

Popplio doesn't really seem to fit Ash, but I won't rule it out just yet. You know they'll want Ash to have a land moving water type and a seal would meet that criteria. I want to see what kind of water types are available before really committing to it. I expect a nice sized batch of water types to be available and if there's another land moving line available I'd be more inclined to lean that direction for his water type.

Personally, I really want to see the rest of what will be available before speculating too much on Ash's team. I think Rowlet is a good bet, but beyond that it's just too early.

Well, mark my words, I betcha the first or second Pokèmon Ash catches in Aloha-Region (yes, intended) is Litten. If you want an explanation I give you one.
From how it looks, it is most likely based on Nekomata (look it up if you don't know) and will probably evolve into a Fire/Dark type. As you all know, Yo-Kai Watch is on the rise and the series mascot is Chibanya (or whatever it is called), that is also based on Nekomata. Litten will be Pokèmons answer to it, since Yo-Kai Watch is booming, especially in Japan. Due this, the staff will do anything to ride along or preferable overhaul the Yo-Kai fame. Thus giving Ash, the main chara of Pokèmon, a Litten, that also based on the same Mythological demon (again, look it up).

Back to Kalos, I feel like Ash will capture a sixth Pokemon right after the movie is released. This is assuming of course that Charizard doesn't return to his team (and that in itself, is a wild guess). That said, if he does capture a 6th, I think there is a slight chance it will be a new Pokemon from Alola, to kind of have history repeat itself when Aipom went with him to Sinnoh.

Out of the starters, I feel that Popplio fits Ash the most-it's cute, acrobatic, blue in color like it's trainer and seems to be full of character. I believe it will serve the role that Ash's Squirtle/Totodile/Oshawott all did as the quirky Water-type in the party who occasionally has decent battling skills. And regarding battling skills, I feel that Ash would make the most use out of it's bubble abilities. It would also be a nice break from Greninja's legacy.

I have a strong feeling Rowlett will go to the new female companion, if not Popplio. As of now, all the starter birds have been given to the female companions and I don't see that stopping. Plus, Rowlett makes for a great hugging sphere that I'm sure the female character will clutch to her chest fairly often. They may even have the Mairin-Chespie dynamic, where Rowlett is the responsible one and the female character is the more outgoing, brash one of the relationship.

Litten will...well I don't know about Litten yet, but whatever it does it will do it like a badass.

Back
Top Bottom