• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

Argy

∠(>w<) #634
Reaction score
We've been seeing a lot of off-topic discussion of Pokémon captures and evolutions in the episode preview/review topics, so please use this thread as a hub for anything that doesn't belong elsewhere.

I'll start!

Let's see, seems like we're going for a Johto redux again now when Monferno belongs to cotd. This means all three starters are unevolved @ ep 91... disaster imo.

I'll go first and say that for TR I really would like James to get a Tangrowth or something, simply because it'll showcase a 4th gen evo and they can change it to a badass personality. I really would just like to see it whip James every time it comes out.

As for the main hero's Pokemon, personally Chimchar probably needs one more meeting with Paul to trigger an evolution. I mean, I don't care as much, but at least it'll stop the incessant whining about it.

Turtwig is probably powerful enough as it is.

All they have to do to make me happy is evolve Turtwig and Chimchar within the next 2 months.

To be honest, it was a mistake giving Ash yet another grass starter. Not only does Turtwig have the least amount of personality, but there's just no way it'll ever top Bulbasaur and Sceptile in the anime.

Chimchar is a good idea because of Paul's story, but the writers need to really take advantage of it. I also like it that after Cyndaquil missed the boat Ash would have another strong fire starter.

Piplup is now credited as a "main character" in the Japanese VA summaries, so its safe to say at this point it won't evolve while Dawn's a main character at least.

I dunno about Chimchar to be honest, it's only had one and a half expisodes worth of exposure since Ash got it, and was already cheated by the writers in the anger episode as that would've been a perfect time to evolve it but they chose not to.

I'm also kinda tired of this "we must see evo before pokemon becomes said evo." nonsense because it makes it more boring when the pokemon becomes them, cause we see all they can do before they can do it and it's not thrilling at all.

If Chimchar doesn't at least evolve before Ash faces fantina then i personally don't think it should go at all, cause it won't be able to reatch Infernape unless they pull a Charizard on it and i know no one wants that.

I don't care about Turtwig at all though, personally i want it to leave because it has no direction like the others and won't stand out even if it does evolve because Paul's torterra is superior to it in everyway.

Brock is likely going to get a Magnemite for his rental Pokemon and Magnemite does have a 4th Gen evolution....

I want Turtwig to replace Bulbasaur as ambassador at Oak's ranch. Bulbasaur could be lovesick and unable to do his job XD

I'll go first and say that for TR I really would like James to get a Tangrowth or something, simply because it'll showcase a 4th gen evo and they can change it to a badass personality. I really would just like to see it whip James every time it comes out.

I don't think he needs more than one Pokemon that causes him pain. It started to get a little old before Sabonea left. There's also no way they're giving him more than one grass type.

I really wish they'd just feature the Pokemon already, because it's starting to get annoying hearing again and again how everyone wants him to have it.

I'm not sure what the writers are doing with Hikozaru and Naetle. You'd think one of them would have evolved by now since we all know Potchama never will. As long as one of them evolves before the end of the year I'll be happy.

I also don't think anyone should catch anything for awhile. We already have too many neglected Pokemon as it is.

There really isn't nothing wrong with having two grass types. He had Cacnera and Carnivine for a brief period, even though Cacnea had basically turned into a deadweight. Since Tangrowth adn Carnivine are both Sinnoh Pokemon and there is virtually no Pokemon on James' team there will be almost no need for any sort of shafting.

If there's any Pokemon that we need to worry about on his team it's probably Mime.Jr. I mean seriously, in the dub it hasn't done anything worthwhile for nearly ten episodes and in thee raw it's basically the same.

If Chimchar doesn't at least evolve before Ash faces fantina then i personally don't think it should go at all, cause it won't be able to reatch Infernape unless they pull a Charizard on it and i know no one wants that.

I find it reasonable that Chimchar should evolve at least before the Canalave gym. I don't get why Chimchar just needs to evolve now when it could perfectly evolve into Monferno around the 6th gym, and evolve again around the GF. I think that would be reasonable timing and I'm sure that with its story with Paul, it will most likely evolve all the way. I mean it would be a huge slap in the face for Paul when it sees Chimchar developing into a strong pokemon under Ash's care.

I think that the episode with Chimchar's rage will be touched upon again which would lead to the first evolution and the second evo would occur for preparation for the league. And heck, if it evolves sooner than what I expect, the better right? But still, I think there's still enough time (especially if the writers consider on adding Platinum stuff like another BF, etc.) and I'm sure the Paul vs. Chimchar plot will be the thing that leads to a Chimchar evolution imo.

As for other evos of Ash...I've read that a Grotle figure would be around November and if so, I could see Turtwig evolving shortly after Hearthome. And as I've said before, I could see Chimchar evolving around Canalave so that's a good amount of time between Grotle and Monferno evolutions as well. Staravia I see evolving around Snowpoint possibly and Buizel either in between Canalave and Snowpoint, Snowpoint and Sunyshore, during the actual league, or a possible BF. So with that, I think the evolutions (for Ash that is) could be handled from now until the end of D/P imo.

I find it reasonable that Chimchar should evolve at least before the Canalave gym. I don't get why Chimchar just needs to evolve now when it could perfectly evolve into Monferno around the 6th gym, and evolve again around the GF.

I disagree with that, reasonable would be evolving it now before fantina and then evolving it again before or during the sinnoh league, any sooner than that is pushing it.

I think that would be reasonable timing and I'm sure that with its story with Paul, it will most likely evolve all the way. I mean it would be a huge slap in the face for Paul when it sees Chimchar developing into a strong pokemon under Ash's care.

It would also be a slap to him and all of us is Ash was able to beat him without evolving Chimchar, cause at this point it's pretty likely that may happen.

I think that the episode with Chimchar's rage will be touched upon again which would lead to the first evolution and the second evo would occur for preparation for the league. And heck, if it evolves sooner than what I expect, the better right?

The problem is it's already mimicing a certain lizards story, and rapidly evolving makes it Charizard mk 2 story wise, and i know no one wants to see that.

But still, I think there's still enough time (especially if the writers consider on adding Platinum stuff like another BF, etc.) and I'm sure the Paul vs. Chimchar plot will be the thing that leads to a Chimchar evolution imo.

Except we're in the middle of the region, not still in the beginning stages.

If you want to build up something when writing a story then you do it as early as you can, the longer you wait, the more you'll have to rush it if you want to get it done before the story ends, and that's not good writing, if they want Chimchar to come out looking good then it MUST evolve asap or it will be look bad if it tries to evolve later on.

And as I've said before, I could see Chimchar evolving around Canalave so that's a good amount of time between Grotle and Monferno evolutions as well.

It would be the same as people wanting both to evolve now, no difference in rushing.

So with that, I think the evolutions (for Ash that is) could be handled from now until the end of D/P imo.

They've got too many to handle, and i gaurantee you someone will get cheated over.

There really isn't nothing wrong with having two grass types. He had Cacnera and Carnivine for a brief period, even though Cacnea had basically turned into a deadweight. Since Tangrowth adn Carnivine are both Sinnoh Pokemon and there is virtually no Pokemon on James' team there will be almost no need for any sort of shafting.

I just don't see why he needs two grass types when there's other Pokemon out there he could get. It's boring to have two of the same thing.

If there's any Pokemon that we need to worry about on his team it's probably Mime.Jr. I mean seriously, in the dub it hasn't done anything worthwhile for nearly ten episodes and in thee raw it's basically the same.

Yeah, I really don't get why we haven't seen it lately. There's plenty of cute things they could be doing with it.

Dawn; Piplup will never evolve due to its popularity as long as Dawn is a main character. I don't see Buneary evolving either; the only thing really going for it right now is its crush on Pikachu, and if it evolves it'll lose that. Of course, Pachi can't evolve for now, and Ambipom is fully evolved. So the only evolutions Dawn'll get are Swinub, and if/when she gets a 6th Poke.

Ash; Honestly? I have no idea. I personally never want to see Chimchar evolve, but who knows. I do want to see Turtwig evolve soon though, and hopefully Staravia too. Buizel too.

James; Give the boy a Drifloon or a Duskull, that's all I'm saying.

Jessie and Brock's teams are fine the way they are.

Team Rocket usually don't make that many captures.

Jessie went over 200 episodes between her capture of Wurmple and her capture of Yanmega.

James didn't catch anything over the entire duration of Johto. James also only had Cacnea for about 90 eps into Hoenn before he got Chimecho.

I disagree with that, reasonable would be evolving it now before fantina and then evolving it again before or during the sinnoh league, any sooner than that is pushing it.

I don't see how it's pushing it. Considering it's proabably a lengthy time between Canalave and the league. Not to mention we might get mini-arcs like we have been, we might get a TG thing, and then there's Dawn's contests. There's also other random episodes so it's definitely going to be awhile from Canalave to the league. I don't think it's really pushing it.

It would also be a slap to him and all of us is Ash was able to beat him without evolving Chimchar, cause at this point it's pretty likely that may happen.

While I admit that it could happen that way, hopefully the writers will evolve Chimchar. Most likely they would too considering that Ash's AG team was filled with mostly evolved pokemon (sans Corphish) and the writers would probably evolve most of his Sinnoh pokemon as well. I mean at least they should, there's nothing holding it back.

The problem is it's already mimicing a certain lizards story, and rapidly evolving makes it Charizard mk 2 story wise, and i know no one wants to see that.

The gap between Charmeleon and Charizard was not a lot of episodes. If Chimchar evolves either from now to Canalave, like I said, it would be a long while before possibly evolving from the league. And what I meant by evolving sooner than later was that if Chimchar would evolve sooner than Canalave, then it would be better.

Except we're in the middle of the region, not still in the beginning stages.

If you want to build up something when writing a story then you do it as early as you can, the longer you wait, the more you'll have to rush it if you want to get it done before the story ends, and that's not good writing, if they want Chimchar to come out looking good then it MUST evolve asap or it will be look bad if it tries to evolve later on.

I don't see how it would be bad for it to evolve near Canalave as I'm speculating. Again, there's quite a bit of time between that point and the league and if Chimchar does evolve before my Canalave mark, then that's perfectly fine. I mean if it would evolve in Sunyshore then evolve again during the league, then I think that would be rushing things, but right before Canalave seems fine imo.

They've got too many to handle, and i gaurantee you someone will get cheated over.

Well there were plenty of changes in Ash's team this first half of the season. Let's see:

Starly's capture
Turtwig's capture
Staravia evo
Chimchar's capture
Aipom/Buizel trade
Gligar's capture
Gligar's evo

That's 7 changes to his team. From here on out hopefully it would like this:

Grotle evo
Monferno evo
Staraptor evo
Infernape evo
possible Floatzel evo

That's not a lot as this first half and I think it could be spread out a bit as well from now until end of D/P. But who knows...I think it's fine right now, you don't...to each his own I guess.

I don't see how it's pushing it.

I think between the time of four gyms is reasonable, pushing it any faster than that is bonafied rushing.

Considering it's proabably a lengthy time between Canalave and the league. Not to mention we might get mini-arcs like we have been, we might get a TG thing, and then there's Dawn's contests. There's also other random episodes so it's definitely going to be awhile from Canalave to the league.

i doubt for one they'll risk another eterna-veilstone type trip, and secondly we don't know if this current arc will yeild anything inportant like the last arcs did cause it might not.

While I admit that it could happen that way, hopefully the writers will evolve Chimchar. Most likely they would too considering that Ash's AG team was filled with mostly evolved pokemon (sans Corphish) and the writers would probably evolve most of his Sinnoh pokemon as well. I mean at least they should, there's nothing holding it back.

At the same time they only evolve three people in HOENN, and we've never seen a fully evo'ed pokemon outside of good old Kanto's shores either.

And there is something holding them back as in that interview from a while back it was stated they like to keep the starters as they are as long as they can so they could easily keep Chimchar it is if they wanted.

The gap between Charmeleon and Charizard was not a lot of episodes.

Back in old kanto where nothing was handled right i might add.

I don't see how it would be bad for it to evolve near Canalave as I'm speculating.

And i don't get why people want it to wait until then to evolve, it's too late in the game, and if it's for the type advantage factor, don't go there.

After all, the past three gym battles we saw Ash obtain victory without using type advantage in major fights, and after what happened in the last gym to Turtwig and Pikachu, who's to say Byron's not prepared to counter fire and fighting types--.

Well there were plenty of changes in Ash's team this first half of the season. Let's see:

Starly's capture
Turtwig's capture
Staravia evo
Chimchar's capture
Aipom/Buizel trade
Gligar's capture
Gligar's evo

That's 7 changes to his team. From here on out hopefully it would like this:

Grotle evo
Monferno evo
Staraptor evo
Infernape evo
possible Floatzel evo

That's not a lot as this first half and I think it could be spread out a bit as well from now until end of D/P. But who knows...I think it's fine right now, you don't...to each his own I guess.

Evolutions are handled with much more importance to the show than captures are, so this logic is mute because I know them better than that.--

Trust me, someone isn't going to evolve period, it could be anyone, even Chimchar, he's got too many potential evo's to go through, and they don't have a compensation victim this time like poor Torkoal on the ag team.

^ Well going by the story line with Paul, I think Chimchar has some importance and more incentive to evolve. And like you said, the interview said that the writers would like to keep the starters as long as possible but Mr. Hidaka also said that pokemon evolve when there are big things coming up. And I think Infernape vs. Paul would be pretty big considering it would be a transformation for little Chimchar to become a powerful warrior (literally). There's a good chance for an evolution but it's just "when".

And I still think it wouldn't be rushing considering Dawn also has 3 more contests to go (and about 1-2 more contests to lose).

Look I'm done talking about Chimchar evolving...while you want it to evolve as soon as possible, I'm giving the writers a bit of time.

Now on to Dawn and Brock.

Piplup = Pikachu basically so I don't think it will evolve.
Pachirisu - no evos
Ambipom - done
Buneary - I could see it evolving since it seemed to look up to Lopunny (I wouldn't mind either way since I find Buneary a cute match for Pikachu haha)
Swinub - It's going to be a while before evolution...Piloswine in Snowpoint and Mamoswine in a probable BF?

Brock
Croagunk - I find it too iconic to evolve imo
Sudowoodo - done
Happiny - I'm not sure with this one, I'd like it to evolve but I could still see it as a Happiny if the writers want Brock to have a baby like pokemon.

Ash:

Turtwig - I'm not sure. On one hand, mastering Energy Ball leaves Turtwig with nothing terribly interesting. On the other, Grotle wouldn't change things much, and if either of the starters are going to make it to their final form it'd be Chimchar. So I think Turtwig will stay as is.

Staravia - I have a similar position with Staravia. It's mastered Brave Bird, so what next? In this case I think it'll evolve once more.

Chimchar - No question, it'll make it to Infernape. I'm guessing it'll be a Monferno by the time of the sixth gym battle (since it'll be up against a Steel-type), and Infernape for the Pokemon League. Ash vs. Paul will cumulate with Infernape vs. Torterra, as well.

Buizel - It managed to hold its own against Lucario, so I think Buizel can stay as is.

Riolu - Ash will get the Riolu egg. No two ways around it, it has to happen. There's no way the writers would foreshadow aura so much and NOT let Ash have one in the end...

Hippopotas - Unless he gets this instead. I think the writers are setting up another Aipom situation.

Dawn:

Piplup - Will stay a Piplup. Forever.

Buneary - I think it'll evolve into Lopunny. It'll also get over Pikachu and set its sights on Brock's Croagunk =D

Swinub - I can't see why the writers would introduce a Johto Pokemon without intending it reaching its fourth gen evo, so I think it'll get to Mamoswine. Perhaps in Snowpoint.

Brock:

Croagunk - Won't evolve, for similar reasons to that of Buizel. It's powerful enough as it is.

Happiny - I think Brock's story will be resolved with Happiny evolving into a Chansey, then into a Blissey, and he goes on his own journey with Holly =)

Paul:

He seems to be lacking a Water Pokemon so I'm going to wager he acquires a Gyarados.

Jessie:

Sticking to the "three Pokemon for each TR member" I don't think she'll catch anything else, but...

James:

Mime Jr. won't evolve, Carnivine can't evolve - but I still think he'll get something. Stunky?

We need a Floatzel cuz it's so badass! Well, Wake's was ^_^
..and it's time for Ash to finally get a water-evo on a pokemon that is on his main team..

The anime has had too many Gyarados as is. If anything, Paul should capture a Kingdra.

Back
Top Bottom