• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

Back when Goodra rejoined Ash, it was categorized as 'on hand'. I doubt Ash would keep Naganadel beside him all the time. Only himself, Pikachu, Rotom and Kukui know of its return so revealing Naganadel on the big stage (via a ball throw) would be the aww surprise factor.

Also, if it's not automatically rejoining his party, what's the point of it returning in a bridge episode, much less the upcoming full battle?
I personally agree that it should be listed as "on hand", but I've gotten myself into trouble by edit warring with PK95 in the past so I'm avoiding that now, just to be safe.

Considering Satoshi didn't even catch it with an actual monster ball, it shouldn't even be considered as his pokémon in the first place.

Considering Satoshi didn't even catch it with an actual monster ball, it shouldn't even be considered as his pokémon in the first place.
That doesn't make any sense. Is Nagisa not actually Lana's then. Or Jessie's Mimikyu? Or all of Gladion's Pokémon? A Beast Ball is just as much a Poké Ball as any other Poké Ball.

Beast Ball is a perfectly valid Pokeball.
That doesn't make any sense. Is Nagisa not actually Lana's then. Or Jessie's Mimikyu? Or all of Gladion's Pokémon? A Beast Ball is just as much a Poké Ball as any other Poké Ball.
If that's the case, then all those other UB captures too should count as him catching and releasing those pokémon, yet people denied this back then.
What he said.
Great argument.

If that's the case, then all those other UB captures too should count as him catching and releasing those pokémon, yet people denied this back then.
I don’t know what other people are saying, but the other captures were not tied to a specific person and did not spend any time in Ash's party apart from the few minutes it took to send them back (and Ash didn’t even throw the ball for all of them). Besides it’d be just clutter to list the Pokémon Ash caught just for a mission and literally owned for a second.

They cannot be compared to Poipole in that respect at all.

So your argument that Poipole is not one of Ash's Pokémon is based on a difference of opinion that people have on Bulbapedia.... huh.

In-universe (let's just keep Bulbapedia out of this), Ash caught Poipole in a Poké Ball (that is specifically designed to make it easier to catch Ultra Beasts, like how the Net Ball makes it easier to catch Bug and Water-types. It's a Poké Ball like any other), Poipole bonded with Ash and he kept it as part of his team. And he's using it in a 6 vs. 6 battle. Really, how is Poipole/Naganadel not Ash's Pokémon?

If you have a problem with how Bulbapedia handles this, please bring it up on a Talk page there. This isn't the place for it anyway.

Besides it’d be just clutter to list the Pokémon Ash caught just for a mission and literally owned for a second.
Well, compare this:
to this:
which one clutters the list more?
So your argument that Poipole is not one of Ash's Pokémon is based on a difference of opinion that people have on Bulbapedia.... huh.
No, I'm talking about this forum.

Well, compare this:
to this:
which one clutters the list more?[
This is a technical thing as far as I'm aware. The square boxes can only be made for Pokémon that actually have their own page. The Ultra Beasts he caught and then quickly released aren't worthy of their own page.
No, I'm talking about this forum.
Okay, but my question still stands. How is a difference of opinion that some fans had here months ago relevant to the argument that Ash doesn't actually own Poipole? You appear to be ignoring in-universe rules and facts.

Okay, but my question still stands. How is a difference of opinion that some fans had here months ago relevant to the argument that Ash doesn't actually own Poipole? You appear to be ignoring in-universe rules and facts.
Because it's a problem to define which of them should count as their pokémon.

Mao didn't catch Shaymin with any ball, yet she's using it as her own pokémon.
UGs spent time, use and bond with UG pokémon, yet they don't count as theirs.
Nebby and Poipole were pretty similar, yet one count as capture, other didn't.

Because it's a problem of define

Mao didn't catch Shaymin with any ball, yet she's using it as her own pokémon.
UGs spent time, use and bond with UG pokémon, yet they don't count as theirs.
Well whether Shaymin is actually Mallow's Pokémon or if the other Ultra Beasts were official captures is something that can be debated. Bulbapedia has its own view on this but isn't the ultimate authority on the matter. What he or she said doesn't change the fact that Poipole was caught in an official Poké Ball, spent time with Ash, bonded with him and his other Pokémon, was always shown to be a member of Ash's ongoing team. And he's using it in a 6 vs. 6 battle. In that way it hasn't been shown in any way that differs from Ash's other Alola Pokémon. That makes it his Pokémon, regardless of whatever any fan or fansite has to say on other Pokémon.

Ignoring all fan disagrements on other Ultra Beasts, how is the capture of Poipole any different than the capture of, let's say Rowlet?
It's captured by an Ultra Ball, which is specially designed for temporary captures.

It's captured by an Ultra Ball, which is created for temporary captures.
Please provide the line of dialogue that specifically said this. The main function of the Beast Ball is to make it easier to catch Ultra Beasts. Just like how a Net Ball was created to make it easier to catch Bug and Water-types. The Beast Ball isn't any different than any other type of Poké Ball. And even if what you said is true, that doesn't automatically mean it isn't Ash's Pokémon. He caught it in a type of Poké Ball, it was consistently shown to be part of his active team. End of story.

Back
Top Bottom