• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

Rowlet is not all about hiding in Ash's backpack, afterall.

Um, yes he was. The only other thing he did was be a selfish ass and sleep when Ash needed him

I think Ash will bring reserves to the dome while using them.
Imagine, he needs melmetal, he calls upon him, he brings it with him to the dome.
I really think this is how everything will roll out. Little by little. Introduction per introduction. After that, we see them all the time and will also be recalls to those episodes.

I hope they use this as a chance to bring all of Ash's Pokemon permanently into one place, like they should be.

EQDssf5WkAAzQY1

EQDs13tXUAUtkPY

EQDtHM7X0AEaWfM

EQDtOVsX0AAAzC-

EQDtWvgWkAAzxUv

EQDtiMCWkAA7exR

EQDtn5sWoAAgwCf

EQDtzSIXUAE1Br2

EQDt2L4WkAAm265

Riolu/Lucario and Garchomp just keep showing up. Since they were also in the playset I feel pretty confident both will be recurring somehow.

We've also seen a decent amount of Machamp, possibly because of the TR gacha? We also know now why we keep seeing Gengar.

Checking the poster again I see Garchomp and I think Lucario there, as well.

I see Machamp & Mew is going be Go's & Riolu Gengar Eevee Sobble and Grookey go to Ash also that his Charizard and Snonlax plus the Blastois Venusaur and Garchomp are his Squirtle Bulbasaur and Gible evolve.

Last edited:
Rowlet was far worse.
At least Oshawott could evolve into Dewott and keep that persona easily
Agreed I still want to squash that bird personally

I don’t understand Ash pikachu being champion main Pokémon wouldn’t it defeat that gengar with one blast to be knock out
It’s a hatred fueled ghost type, like mimikyu it’ll take a lot more than a thunderbolt to bring them down.

Since they possibly will break some more tradition, could you see Ash capture another electric type pokemon ?
if so wich electric pokemon do you guys think fits ash the most apart from pikachu?

my top 3 would be:
- Zeraora
- Luxray
- Electrivire
A lot of people want ash to catch a toxicrity but it’s too punk rock to be an ash Pokémon.

Ash's Bulbasaur and Squirtle aren't gonna evolve. In-lore wise, it makes no sense for them to evolve. Bulbasaur has refused evolution in the past and Squirtle makes no sense because of the Squirtle Squad.

And i am betting on Garchomp, Machamp and Lucario belonging to some past major characters or Game Characters:
Garchomp = Cynthia
Machamp = Bruno/Bea
Lucario = Korrina

Considering we don't see Dragonite here, i doubt it has anything to do with Ash or Gou capture related, unless Dragonite isn't gonna be a permanent member on the team. Mr.Mime is also only present in one of the merchandise pieces.

Squirtle makes no sense because of the Squirtle Squad.
Who even said that a Wartortle couldn’t hypothetically lead a Squirtle squad? This isn’t the "Team Squirtle"/"Team Wartortle" from the Orange Island episode where all members have to be on a specific evolution stage.

I'd have really liked Ivysaur/Wartortle or both, seeing that they’re my favourite stages of their respectice
And this isn’t even mentioning the fact that we’ve seen evolved forms of a species leading a group of unevolved Pokemon before.

The Squirtle squad is a local group that doesn’t have a mandate to be a specific evolution stage. It was the orange island episodes that had different official “teams” for each stage.

The Squirtle Squad (Squirtle Squad - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia) =/=Team Squirtle(FROM THE ORANGE ISLAND FILLER EP106 - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia)

Last edited:
Regarding the Kanto starters I see some possiblities:
1) A focus episode for all 3, which has already happened in the past.
2) A focus episode for Blastoise which is the one who hasn't appeared.
3) They are just placeholders for cool Pokémon, since they apparently can't use Rillaboom, Cinderace and Inteleon yet. Has there been any merchandise for post-release revealed Gen 8 Pokemon?

Also I think that Garchomp and Lucario could come from a Megaevolution episode in Kalos, since it feels too soon for Sinnoh again.

Actually, it is. Squirtle Squad's Japanese name has the same suffix that's used in villainous team names.
By "Team Squirtle" I mean the "Team Squirtle" seen in this episode EP106 - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia, which I made incredibly clear. And again, it’s pretty clear I was referring to the dub names so I’m not sure if you have any substantive point there.

The Squirtle Squad which Ash's Squirtle belongs to doesn’t have a mandate to stay in the same evolution stage, whereas these teams seen in the episode are classed by the evolution stage. They’re clearly not the same entities and the rules of one do not apply to the other.

We've also had groups of Pokémon being lead by their evolved form in the past. A Venusaur lead a bunch of Ivysaur in Bulbasaur's Mysterious Garden, a Blastoise was the leader of an island of Squirtle and Wartortle. Toucannon lead the flock of Pikipek and Trumbeak was the second in command.

Squirtle Squad is an informal name, and when was it even called by name last? If the writers can jump through hoops to have Ash use Mr. Mime, Squirtle evolving is fairly minor in comparison if the writers want it to happen for some reason.

Last edited:
Or they can just remember Gary exists. He has a Blastoise. I don't know who will have Venusaur because Ash's refused evolution. May has one but if she didn't appear in XY, she won't appear in SS.

Or they can just remember Gary exists. He has a Blastoise. I don't know who will have Venusaur because Ash's refused evolution. May has one but if she didn't appear in XY, she won't appear in SS.

I don't think May's coming back either but I don't understand your logic about how Gary has higher chances of returning compared to her just because May didn't appear in X&Y? Gary hasn't appeared since DP so why is he more likely to return?

Because Gary is Ash's first rival and Oak's grandson. May is just one of many past companions, and her Venusaur merely got a few seconds of screentime.

Reminder that there is plenty of merchandise featuring the base Kanto starters, not just their evolutions.

Back
Top Bottom