• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

Sceptile and Infernape had twice the amount of training as Raboot did and it still took like 170+ eps to fully evolve
I get what you mean but Ash still having a Grovyle by the time Hoenn league arrived wasn't the wisest decision of all either.

Since Chloe is getting Eevee that just leaves Dracovish for Ash and Grookey for Go. Sweet

Why do you want that poor thing to suffer?

4fo028.jpg

Sword Powerful legs and jaws made it the apex predator of its time. Its own overhunting of its prey was what drove it to extinction.
Shield Its mighty legs are capable of running at speeds exceeding 40 mph, but this Pokémon can't breathe unless it's underwater.

I get what you mean but Ash still having a Grovyle by the time Hoenn league arrived wasn't the wisest decision of all either.
I do wonder if we'd have seen Grovyle evolving before then if the Battle Frontier didn't exist; the BF arc seemed to cause pacing issues for late AG and maybe they were caught off guard by the first four year generation.

That said Journeys is moving fast so that's probably why we're getting these early evos and super strong captures.

To be fair Sobble could get more to do after Raboot evolves. It's already gotten more screentime then any of Go's other Pokemon. Grookey could get the same treatment

Pfft Anything that goes to Goh To Sleep team is boring. Goh To Sleep managed to make captures meaningless.

“Goh To Sleep”. Lmao.
You’re gonna call him that for the rest of the series?
It doesn’t really make your argument seem any more valid when you use a petty insult.

Maybe just for two weeks, until I got bored of it.

What insult? is just a nickname that I got from the wrestling finisher used by CM Punk that is called the Go to Sleep or GTS for short (Like the global trade station curious isn't it)

You want a valid argument? Here you have it:

What did Flygon did in the last two episodes? Did we have any rememberance of him, what about Heracross or Hitmonchan? Did they do something, did we have a point of what they are doing now? At least in the other series when a Pokémon was caught he had some action some episodes, some valid screen time to see how they were developing. This capture madness leads us to nothing. What is the point of catching Pokémon if you don't show a bond or a progress with them.

I'ts not even with his own Pokémon look at Gengar, Farfetch'd and Dragonite. Lost in translation. Look at the Rockets they don't even have a Pokémon to own.

So for me this character destroyed the meaning of Pokémon breeding and training. Also he bores me to death. Boring goal, boring objectives, boring character. Also the fantastic fact that he had an episode for himself and the last four episode where about him and if not he will always butt in the plot.

So yeah when I see him I want to Go to Sleep.

I do wonder if we'd have seen Grovyle evolving before then if the Battle Frontier didn't exist; the BF arc seemed to cause pacing issues for late AG and maybe they were caught off guard by the first four year generation.

That said Journeys is moving fast so that's probably why we're getting these early evos and super strong captures.

I don't see why the BF arc existing would have caused them to wait on Grovyle evolving. At the time, the Frontier Brains were seen as a step above gym leaders, so it is not like they had to nerf Ash.

Grovyle didn't do anything in the Battle Frontier other than losing to Hariyama. It didn't do all that much as Sceptile, either.

Pokemon Phenom said:
What is the point of catching Pokémon if you don't show a bond or a progress with them.
Tell that to the vast majority of fans who care about catching (at least) dozens of Pokemon, even if they don't anything with them. I'm of the opinion that Go needs to start doing more stuff with Sobble and some other Pokemon (like Flygon), but he most definitely doesn't need to train every Pokemon he catches. That is just how the franchise works and it's high time the anime demonstrated that. Whatever flaws Ash and Team Rocket have are unrelated to Go.

Last edited:
I don't see why the BF arc existing would have caused them to wait on Grovyle evolving. At the time, the Frontier Brains were seen as a step above gym leaders, so it is not like they had to nerf Ash.
It's less them nerfing Ash for the league and more that without the Frontier the Hoenn league would have taken place about a year later so Grovyle may have been a Sceptile for it.

Grovyle didn't do anything in the Battle Frontier other than losing to Hariyama. It didn't do all that much as Sceptile, either.
Yeah, Sceptile (and the other AG team) got sort of screwed by the decision to have the Kanto starters the one who defeated Brandon.
I almost wonder if he defeated Darkrai because he was so much less accomplished than Ash's other fully evolved starters at the time so that was thrown in as a bone for him.

Well that's right. In fact his most important moment as a Sceptile was when he defeated Darkray in DP

Tell that to the vast majority of fans who care about catching (at least) dozens of Pokemon, even if they don't anything with them.

Do not compare the game mechanics with the anime mechanics . It's different. In the game Pokémon had no eating or biological problems than in the anime universe exist. In the game you can put Pokémon in PC's so the closed space problem does not exist. Catching Pokémon in the games is fun, specially legendaries. But seeing a guy doing it is boring. Specially when there is almost no effort into it.

Whatever flaws Ash and Team Rocket have are unrelated to Go.

It's related to the way he is written. However this is just a theory of mine , but it seems odd that Team Rocket has no Pokémon and that Ash only carries Pikachu and ocasionally Riolu and the other one is capable of carring two main Pokémon with him. It's favoritism or obsession of the writters to make him look good. And overexpossure is not good.

It's less them nerfing Ash for the league and more that without the Frontier the Hoenn league would have taken place about a year later so Grovyle may have been a Sceptile for it.

I wasn't talking about the league, I am talking about the Battle Frontier. There was no real reason to hold back at all when it came to Grovyle's evolution. If things had worked out how they were supposed to originally than Diamond and Pearl would have been released in 2005, so Grovyle/Sceptile would have been Oaked anyway after the league. And as I said earlier, the Frontier Brains were a step above gym leaders so it wasn't like Ash taking Charizard to Johto and them having to buff up characters like Falkner to not make it seem like a joke.

It's related to the way he is written. However this is just a theory of mine , but it seems odd that Team Rocket has no Pokémon and that Ash only carries Pikachu and ocasionally Riolu and the other one is capable of carring two main Pokémon with him. It's favoritism or obsession of the writters to make him look good. And overexpossure is not good.

TR and Ash's handling has nothing to do with making Go look good.

TR has no Pokemon because they want them to help showcase various Pokemon, which is why they gave them the Gecha. There is nearly 1000 Pokemon and Go isn't going to catch everything. TR getting a Gecha is just another way from them to showcase various popular Pokemon so they can sell more toys to kids. Ash having just Pikachu and Riolu on hand most of the time is more about shilling those two than about making Go look good. Just take this past episode, they could have easily had Ash use Gengar or Farfetch'd to take down TR's Pokemon, but instead he uses Pikachu. Why? Because Pikachu is the star and the kids love him.

Last edited:
TR and Ash's handling has nothing to do with making Go look good.

It's just my opinion but you cannot say that he has more focus than anyone else.

TR has no Pokemon because they want them to help showcase various Pokemon, which is why they gave them the Gecha. There is nearly 1000 Pokemon and Go isn't going to catch everything. TR getting a Gecha is just another way from them to showcase various popular Pokemon so they can sell more toys to kids.

No, they give them random Pokémon cause less Pokémon means less development so they can dissapear with anybody asking questions or missing them. They are giving them an slow and silent death.

Ash having just Pikachu and Riolu on hand most of the time is more about shilling those two than about making Go look good. Just take this past episode, they could have easily had Ash use Gengar or Farfetch'd to take down TR's Pokemon, but instead he uses Pikachu. Why? Because Pikachu is the star and the kids love him.

He has been the star for almost 20 years and during those years other Pokémon had the time to shine. You call it beeing the star. I call it being lazy.

No, they give them random Pokémon cause less Pokémon means less development so they can dissapear with anybody asking questions or missing them. They are giving them an slow and silent death.

The main objective of the show is to showcase Pokemon to get kids to buy their products. You can think the gecha is a bad idea, but that is the real reason why the Trio are using it this series. They want to showcase more Pokemon and this is another means of doing so.

He has been the star for almost 20 years and during those years other Pokémon had the time to shine. You call it beeing the star. I call it being lazy.

How is this any different? Riolu has gotten treatment that other aces have gotten in previous series (if not more.....)

What is the theory of Ash next Pokemon Zapdos. In the new episode when Pikachu use thunderbolt on Team rocket u can see the eletric power he uses resembles Zapdos body shape if not then who next

After Melmetal it is more reasonable, but I can't imagine it.....

Though hey if they do everyone would be estatic.

After Melmetal it is more reasonable, but I can't imagine it.....

Though hey if they do everyone would be estatic.
How strong is Pikachu exactly compared to Ash Dragonite?
Ash pikachu is the mian pokemon but he battles strong opponents then he seems weaker i don't get how pikahcu gets weaker. While Cythina garmchomp is the strongest of her entired team always on top of power

Back
Top Bottom