• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

I still sit here and wonder why they're so against giving Ash an Eevee and an Eeveelution.
Till before journeys they promoted the Pokémon in the generation they debuted
OS: Gen 2: Espeon and Umbreon: This is probably early instalment weirdness.

DP: Leafeon and Glaceon: Ash’s team was already chock full with good marketable Pokémon. And even the older Pokémon had to return. So this one is understandable. Ash had Torterra and Buizel had ice attacks if I recall correctly and they avoided a lot of type overlap those days.

XY: Sylveon: When you look at Ash and Serena it’s a pretty obvious choice whom to pair Sylveon with.

I still sit here and wonder why they're so against giving Ash an Eevee and an Eeveelution.
Because Eevee is a Pokemon for girls/s

Nah, but in reality it's probably because of the rule of "Ash should not catch any old Pokemon unless they evolve into something from the new Generation" and in past sagas the Pokemon franchise either had yet to notice Eevee's popularity so they didn't feel the need to promote it that heavily (Kanto and Johto), there simply wasn't a new Eeveelution to promote (Hoenn, Unova), or there was not enough space on Ash's team for an extra character (Sinnoh, Unova again). The sole exception was XY with Sylveon, but unfortunately that's the most feminine Eeveelution and the Pokemon anime isn't exactly bold enough to subvert gender roles in that manner, so obviously it was going to go to Serena.

And as for Journeys, I can only guess that despite it finally going against the taboo that Ash can't catch any old Pokemon unless they evolve into something new, the fact that he already has a Lucario as his popular and marketable extra mascot to constantly pander to the audience, the writers likely felt there wasn't a need for another one... and honestly, since Ash's non-Pikachu and non-Lucario team is getting heavily shafted right now, it's probably for the best that he doesn't get Eevee this saga, since the little furball would likely worsen the shafting even more.

Although I didn't like Koharu getting Eevee at first because I'm sick and tired of only girl mains getting Eevee, I will let it slide so long as we don't get another Sandy situation. Just, next saga I'd like for the writers to either let Ash or the male companion catch Eevee for once or just give Eevee a little break, because this is the third consecutive time a main girl has gotten an Eevee and that trend honestly needs a bit of a shakeup.

The reason is that Eevee is the secondary mascot and as such the writers cannot afford to ditch it at Oaks (Or another place) or evolve when Ash owns one and it wil be his second 'fixed' team member, which means it limits Ash's team, especially if he also gets at least one starter, since that one is another 'fixed' team member when Ash travels around, meaning there are only 3 spaces left for the rest of the team, even if used in rotation. Its just way easier to give another main cast member or recurring character the Eevee, since those characters don't stick around and as such the new one can get a new Eevee as well.

Thats basically the problem Ash has in getting Eeveelutions as well. Due to Eevee's secondary mascot status, they aren't gonna give Ash an Eeveelution, since it will overshadow Eevee, especially if Umbreon, Espeon and Sylveon are involved.

And since the Pokemon of the Year results, Eevee has become more popular than Pikachu as well, which is another point against Ash ever getting an Eevee or Eeveelution.

Its not about it being a Pokemon for girls or not (Last time i checked Virgil and Illima are boys).

And since the Pokemon of the Year results, Eevee has become more popular than Pikachu as well, which is another point against Ash ever getting an Eevee or Eeveelution.
Last I checked, Eevee got less votes than Pikachu in the latest official Pokemon of the Year poll. Pikachu got fourth place in the Kanto poll and Eevee got fifth. So yeah, Pikachu is still the more popular one. Not by a whole lot, but yeah.

Remember in the fourth episode of be everyone thought an umbreon was wondering in the battle club and ash wanted to catch it. Also remeber when ash caught scraggy it was the first dark pokemon a main character caught. So I was thinking it might be a little similar but different

Till before journeys they promoted the Pokémon in the generation they debuted
OS: Gen 2: Espeon and Umbreon: This is probably early instalment weirdness.

DP: Leafeon and Glaceon: Ash’s team was already chock full with good marketable Pokémon. And even the older Pokémon had to return. So this one is understandable. Ash had Torterra and Buizel had ice attacks if I recall correctly and they avoided a lot of type overlap those days.

XY: Sylveon: When you look at Ash and Serena it’s a pretty obvious choice whom to pair Sylveon with.
They could have given Ash an Espeon 8n Johto to rival with Gary's Umbreon.

Last I checked, Eevee got less votes than Pikachu in the latest official Pokemon of the Year poll. Pikachu got fourth place in the Kanto poll and Eevee got fifth. So yeah, Pikachu is still the more popular one. Not by a whole lot, but yeah.

Ah... so i switched them around.

Doesn't really matter though, Eevee has gained massive popularity in the last few years.

Okay here is my prediction for ash next year
1.pikachu-gigantamax pikachu- done
2. Dragonite- will learn moves like Draco meteor , extreme speed, and stone edge ( as a way to counter it's weakness to rock) but just in case blizzard
3. Gengar-Gigantamax Gengar- will learn moves like perish song, drain punch and learn how to gigantamax
4. Riolu- Lucario- will learn moves like protect, dig, shadow claw, and close combat
5. Galarian Farfetch'd to Sirfetch'd- will evolve sooner or later next year and will have leaf blade, night slash, and close combat
possible catches-
Arcanine- the reason I chose Arcanine is not just a reference to Gary oak as he battles him again but because since ash and goh both have a flying Pokemon they can use on missions why not just them something for speed like arcanine. it has a playful personality like a regular dog and have moves like fire fang , thunder fang and agility. It be funny when ash send it out it like him affectionately kind of like how james's grass Pokemon attack him in affection like victreebel.
Grookey- remember in the second variant of the current ending it was with lucario when it was an egg and then riolu along with dusk lycanroc. I think Grookey will join ash and be the sneaky one of the group.
Milotic- sInce goh has dewgong for water purposes such as traveling it make since for ash to get his own. it starts off as a hostile Pokemon due to a poacher for it's beauty but learns to trust ash after saving it.
tyranitar- since this series is unpredictable larvitar might return after growing up and wants to join ash.
Umbreon- remember when some thought goh get galarian farfetched well I was thinking after Chloe's eevee episode ash and goh can get an eevee for them since and his evolves into Umbreon while goh's becomes espeon/sylveon that way ash, goh and Chloe and share a species of the same Pokemon but in this case evolutions like how ash and goh both have a fartfecth'd but ash's is from galar

Grookey- remember in the second variant of the current ending it was with lucario when it was an egg and then riolu along with dusk lycanroc. I think Grookey will join ash and be the sneaky one of the group.
That was referencing the actual game of Shiritori; Sarunori -> Rioru -> Rugarugan

There are a lot of Pokemon that end with Ri, some of which Ash already has, so the Shiritori chain argument is not exactly the strongest to disprove Ash getting Grookey especially when Riolu/Lucario and Duskroc have been his.

- Batafu (Butterfree)
- Kimori (Treecko)
Ruriri (Azurill)
- Onigōri (Glailie)
Yōte (Lillipup)
(Ko)Koromori (Woobat/Swoobat)

etc etc...
Well, Butterfree was released and Treecko evolved, but Glalie can still count I guess.

Shiritori chain argument is not exactly the strongest to disprove Ash getting Grookey especially when Riolu/Lucario and Duskroc have been his.
I don’t think they were using Shiritori to disprove Ash getting Grookey, rather that Grookey appearing only in the Shiritori isn’t a good argument...

I just hope they don't blatantly spoil it in an opening/trailer or something. Unlike what happened with Lucario and Cinderace, I want to be at least a little surprised when it evolves.
Aren't opening spoilers something that has been happening from the start? I think I remember Taillow's evolution being spoiled ahead of time, too.

Back
Top Bottom