• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

That’s fine, but it doesn’t suggest that we will get anything beyond a single scene or two at most.
But still, we don't know anything yet about what is to come, and with this series being one that's heavily prone to bringing back past characters and featuring references to the past we might see the reserves returning full time.

But still, we don't know anything yet about what is to come, and with this series being one that's heavily prone to bringing back past characters and featuring references to the past we might see the reserves returning full time.
I wouldn’t say “heavily” just because it’s more than past series which have given us little to nothing. The bar is very low for returning characters/Pokémon. I am tempering my expectations based on what things have been like since BW.

I wouldn’t get my hopes up that they will be present for more than 1 episode or even 1 scene barring Infernape.
If Infernape can return for one episode, why can’t others? This clearly isn’t something like BW. This was supposed to be the entire selling point of JN.

If it isn’t their intention then I have zero hopes with the way Ash would be handled, since they clearly don’t show a desire to develop his team beyond once in a year focus episodes (before someone comes at me pedantically pointing out focus has been given out in less than a year, you missed the point of the hyperbole).
They don’t develop Ash's team compared to other regions, they don’t bring reserves, what do they want to do with him?

If Infernape can return for one episode, why can’t others? This clearly isn’t something like BW. This was supposed to be the entire selling point of JN.
No one said they can’t, I just said I’m not getting my hopes up because I don’t think it’s likely. It could have been the selling point of JN, but it wasn’t. I’m not confident that this is going to change.

I also have a hard time seeing Ash using his reserves for more than an episode or two. It certainly isn't impossible to happen and I can understand why fans want that to happen for a few reasons, but I don't see it happening. Journeys definitely is more willing to make nods to the past than BW and even XY, but even with the minimal screentime for Ash's current team in mind, I don't really see them doing much with his reserves or if that would really be the best solution to the problem with Ash's team issues in the first place.

If Goh catches Mew after Project: Mew, he just go on his own catch some more, while Ash was on his own catch some Pokémon and do some more PWCS is that right?

If the arc is spurred by Gokazaru being bored of Oak’s lab and wanting to battle, I can’t see Ash just being like “thanksbye” at the end of the arc for the rest of the series.

I think the most likely outcome is something Battle Frontier-esque where he starts calling on a reserve or two for PWC battles; it shows that the Hyper Class is tough, but the JN team will still be getting focus.

If the arc is spurred by Gokazaru being bored of Oak’s lab and wanting to battle, I can’t see Ash just being like “thanksbye” at the end of the arc for the rest of the series.

I really doubt that they're going to have Infernape or any of his Pokemon bored at Professor Oak's lab. It's an interesting premise on paper, but I don't think that they're going to introduce a problem like that when Ash leaving his teams at Professor Oak is a necessity. Plus, out of all of the Pokemon to be bored and wanting to battle more, Infernape would be kind of an unbelievable choice. Not to mention they could just battle with each other given the amount of Pokemon Ash has there to begin with.

Superior Serperior said:
I think the most likely outcome is something Battle Frontier-esque where he starts calling on a reserve or two for PWC battles; it shows that the Hyper Class is tough, but the JN team will still be getting focus.

I wouldn't mind that if the PWC battles were actually longer. If they're still mainly one-on-one or two-on-two battles, then I think trying to incorporate reserves and his current team might just make the lack of screentime/focus for his new Pokemon more apparent. I also don't know if there's really a need in-universe for Ash to rely more on his reserves. Yeah, it would show the Hyper Class as being more difficult, but when his current team carried him through the first two classes, including defeating a Champion in the form of Iris, I don't know if making the Hyper Class that difficult would be that believable at this point either.

I really doubt that they're going to have Infernape or any of his Pokemon bored at Professor Oak's lab. It's an interesting premise on paper, but I don't think that they're going to introduce a problem like that when Ash leaving his teams at Professor Oak is a necessity. Plus, out of all of the Pokemon to be bored and wanting to battle more, Infernape would be kind of an unbelievable choice. Not to mention they could just battle with each other given the amount of Pokemon Ash has there to begin with.
Not to mention that past Pokemons' tendency to show up with new moves, plus Cyndaquil evolving into Quilava shortly after Ash withdrew it for the Sinnoh League, and Oak's comments that Staraptor and Swellow are constantly challenging each other to super speed flight races (and the fact that Unfezant ended up joining them) all strongly imply, if not outright confirm that Ash's Pokemon have a habit of sparring with each other on a constant basis while at Oak's, so there's no way Infernape is bored from a lack of battling. Unless, I suppose, Infernape is just that much more powerful than any of Ash's other Pokemon to the point that it never loses and no one wants to challenge it anymore...

Not to mention that past Pokemons' tendency to show up with new moves, plus Cyndaquil evolving into Quilava shortly after Ash withdrew it for the Sinnoh League, and Oak's comments that Staraptor and Swellow are constantly challenging each other to super speed flight races (and the fact that Unfezant ended up joining them) all strongly imply, if not outright confirm that Ash's Pokemon have a habit of sparring with each other on a constant basis while at Oak's, so there's no way Infernape is bored from a lack of battling. Unless, I suppose, Infernape is just that much more powerful than any of Ash's other Pokemon to the point that it never loses and no one wants to challenge it anymore...
There’s also the fact that Oak houses Gary’s massive roster aside from Ash’s, and that’s only the two trainers we have confirmation for, let alone any others that probably do the same. Even if Ash’s army isn’t big enough to keep one entertained, surely the ranch is packed with powerful opponents to pick from.

Back
Top Bottom