• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

Pokemon can evolve through means other than battling, I asked once before and apperently it's happened before, but I forget the example. Not even game inaccurate either, it would be slow and painful but hypothetically you can evolve a pokemon through like, picnic/camp/amie exp.
Plus they really hammer in the singing thing with Fuecoco, would be weird if it didn't evolve and even weirder if it did evolve but sprigatito didn't. Quaxly could go either way I suppose.

Pokemon can evolve through means other than battling, I asked once before and apperently it's happened before, but I forget the example. Not even game inaccurate either, it would be slow and painful but hypothetically you can evolve a pokemon through like, picnic/camp/amie exp.
Plus they really hammer in the singing thing with Fuecoco, would be weird if it didn't evolve and even weirder if it did evolve but sprigatito didn't. Quaxly could go either way I suppose.
And it's been long enough too. I mean, it's been Sprigatito for 40 episodes already.

And it's been long enough too. I mean, it's been Sprigatito for 40 episodes already.
I did the math once, looking at just ash's pokemon the earliest starter evolution to second stage was episode 44 with charmander, 132 with Chimchar is the latest. (Not counting cyndaquil since it evolved 2 series later)
Earliest in terms of "Number of episode since it was caught" is the same, 32 for Charmander > Charmeleon, 129 for Chimchar > Monferno for latest. (And Cyndaquil is still an outlier)

The Weepinbell that James traded for his Victreebel literally evolved by battling Ash and friends without a Leaf Stone, so the evolution means really don't seem to matter much. @Articfoxgamez

Fuecoco will likely evolve as it's what makes the most sense for its growth. Fuecoco in it's current stage isn't shown as a strong Pokemon despite all the training. Definitely needs to evolve to further character development and shed the comic relief role.

Sprigatito is called to be strong for her species and she's definitely a battler, which could go either way - become the strongest Sprigatito ever like Ash's Pikachu or evolve and become even stronger.

Quaxly I think stays unevolved. He's already portrayed as more mature and level-headed. He doesn't seem like he needs to evolve for character development.

The Weepinbell that James traded for his Victreebel literally evolved by battling Ash and friends without a Leaf Stone, so the evolution means really don't seem to matter much. @Articfoxgamez
Admittedly, I think that was more of a case of the writers either forgetting how Victreebel evolves or not really caring when the point was for it to end up with James' old Victreebel at the end of the episode. Typically they have been more accurate to how Pokemon evolve compared to that case.

@Hidden Mew There was even an episode in Johto that had Glooms evolving into their evolved forms based on different winds that had trace amounts of Leaf and Sun stones in them. A weird concept, but technically an "accurate" way for how Gloom evolve.

@Hidden Mew There was even an episode in Johto that had Glooms evolving into their evolved forms based on different winds that had trace amounts of Leaf and Sun stones in them. A weird concept, but technically an "accurate" way for how Gloom evolve.
I was talking more about how that Victreebel evolved in that episode than anything else.

I honestly don't think battles matter that much at all when it comes to anime-evolution. Evolution is basically just a tool for character development and they'll evolve if it will suit where the writers want the character to go.

Example: Scorbunny to Raboot so it can become disobedient to highlight where Goh is flawed in his approach to training Pokemon. Or Sobble evolving into Drizzile despite almost never battling so it could become depressed and reclusive to mirror Goh as a little kid because that is where they wanted its character to go. Ash's Starly evolving into to Staravia and the entire Goomy evolution-line also come to mind.

I could see Sprigatito evolving somewhat soon, maybe against the Explorers. It felt like the last episode finally broke down whatever barriers there were between Liko and Sprigatito and the next natural step in her development now that they are seemingly fully synced would be to evolve.

Last edited:
Uh, it seems a piece of upcoming merch may have confirmed we’re getting an evolution.

GG0uUSwagAAzmaY.jpg

Ooh I'm gonna miss the little kitty. I was secretly hoping it would remain an unevolved ace, but I guess Meowscarada is too popular.

Floragato my beloved! We're actually getting Floragato! I hope they don't jump to Meowscarada so soon though. If Sprigatito is evolving, there's no doubt they'll evolve her all the way if Meowscarada is as popular as it is. Hope we get some time with Floragato before that happens.

I had a feeling it would only be a matter of time after the last episode that Spriggy would evolve. Excited to see Floragato animated! I can't imagine Fuecoco evolving too far behind, either, though I suppose far enough away to not include Crocalor on the merch unless they just excluded him for some reason.

Back
Top Bottom