• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Best battle gimmick?

which is better

• Mega

• Gigantamax

• Z move

• Tera

• pokemon are the best by themselves

Results are only viewable after voting.
Let's break down some of the differences, eh?

Mega Evolution:
  • Increased stats (and often better abilities) for eligible Pokemon
  • Usable only once per battle
  • Good visual design (most of the time)
  • Only some Pokemon are eligible, and doesn't feel balanced which ones

Z-moves:
  • Usable by any Pokemon, once per battle only
  • Lack of unique creature animations (for the common Z-moves)
  • Z-Status moves feel underpowered

Dynamax/Gigantamax:
  • Usable by any Pokemon, once per battle only
  • G-max designs have better stats/different abilities
  • Only lasts 3 turns

Terastalization:
  • Usable by any Pokemon, with almost any Tera type
  • Usable once per trip to a Pokemon Center (multiplayer battles notwithstanding)
  • Overwrites the user's (defensive) type
  • Does not change user's usual STAB or abilities

Mega still has a special place in my heart and I hope we get more of them. Gigantamax forms feel... a bit too overdesigned and weirdly designed, Megas looked better on average.

Megas, I don't really care for the rest of the gimmicks.

I've never really been a huge fan of any of the battle gimmicks other than Mega Evolution — and even then, I mostly liked Megas in concept rather than in practice.
The new "upgraded" designs could be a little hit or miss at times, but in my opinion they were easily the best part of the whole gimmick, and that was the main reason why I was excited for them back in Gen 6. Gigantamax was fairly good at that too, but compared to how iconic all of the Megas are, the majority of GMAX designs didn't leave much of a lasting impression on me (other than a small handful, like Garbodor or Kingler). Mega Evolution also gets some points in its favor because its idea was really novel at the time, and was exceedingly simple to understand in battle too.

As for the rest, Z-Moves were actually a lot of fun, for about ten minutes; and while I like Terastallization more than I thought I would, it is just way too complex and has too many variables for me to play around with it in a competitive setting. TL;DR: for the most part I think Pokémon are perfect just the way they are.

Mega-evolutions are definitely the most interesting as stats are changed along and abilities too. Pokémon also get cool new designs

Z-moves just gives you super powerful moves. Though why would you need it if you already have a super powerful move already?

Some Pokémon got Gigantamax forms and new moves. I don’t think it really matters if you can’t see their form in regular battles as you probably wouldn’t care to see your mega evolved Pokémon in a regular battle either. Gigantamax is interesting with the powerful moves though mega is still more interesting as not just HP changes but more.

Tera types by themselves is a boring idea. It could make sure you don’t get sweeped if the attacker is super effective against you. But just changing a defensive advantage that has no clear advantage isn’t as fun as mega evos

megas and dynamax > everything else

megas, imo, were a good way to give lesser known pokemon (yes, i realise even popular pokemon got megas) a pretty significant boost by changing the resulting evo altogether - new typing, stats, even abilities - so that they can have an edge in battle. it's a lot more interesting strategy-wise to me than tera or z-moves.

dynamax, on the other hand, is good because it requires actual thinking to use and isn't an instant-nuke button. it can be in the right circumstances, but a wise player would know to circumvent their way around a dynamaxed pokemon and play around their three-turn limit, or heck even KO the 'mon altogether with something powerful enough. in other words, it's good defensive and offensive strategy depending on the situation and i like it for this reason.

Megas and Gigantimax seem OK, and terrestializing was good. However my personal favorite, which I think should be added to the survey, is strong and agile style moves. I'm not sure that they should be counted, but they are by far my favorite. They require some actual effort to obtain for each move, and offer a realistic risk-reward scenario. So can we please add strong and agile style moves?

Disclaimer that I haven't played Scar/Vio so I can't give a fair opinion of Terrastilization.

But overall mega evolution. I found Z-Moves boring and Dynamax both too overpowered and hard to care about when it's so restricted in use.

Mega Evolution, even if it has its fair share of problems (pokemon that didn't needed them getting one being one of the problems). Every other gimmick is either boring, completely busted or both.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom