• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Game in 2017

What pokemon game do you want to see in 2017 after Sun and Moon

• Gen 4 Remake

Votes: 36 44.4%
  • Sun and Moon Sequel

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • Pokemon Eclipse

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • Pokemon Kanto Sequel

Votes: 11 13.6%
  • Pokemon Spin-off (Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 2017)

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • None of the above, 2017 will have a break year

Votes: 10 12.3%

• Total voters
I don't know about downgraded 3DS versions of any Switch game, especially in late 2018. If I were Nintendo, I would just focus on making the Switch more affordable by then.

Also, would a sequel require people to have played the original games in order to understand the story? I am not willing to play RBGY on VC, the graphics are horrible.
They could re-release FRLG by then or just encourage people to watch Origins. The upcoming anime movie may not be a bad alternative, either.

To be perfectly honest, there isn't much you need to know from the original games. They introduced the Pokemon, with which basically everyone is familiar, but didn't do much with them story-wise. Kids may not have an appreciation for old gym leaders or Team Rocket, but they shouldn't be the focus, anyway.

I imagine the story being more original than the B2W2 story, which wasn't hard to understand even without BW.

Last edited:
Sinnoh remakes can definitely wait until the Switch. There's no urgency to release a Sinnoh remake right now, Sinnoh hasn't really had any attention recently and they can put the spotlight back on Sinnoh at any time. Whereas Kanto sequels are a lot more urgent, like @Esserise said, Kanto nostalgia is at an all time high right now and SM's story is very explicitly connected to Kanto, so now is their best opportunity for another Kanto game.

Sinnoh remakes can definitely wait until the Switch. There's no urgency to release a Sinnoh remake right now, Sinnoh hasn't really had any attention recently and they can put the spotlight back on Sinnoh at any time. Whereas Kanto sequels are a lot more urgent, like @Esserise said, Kanto nostalgia is at an all time high right now and SM's story is very explicitly connected to Kanto, so now is their best opportunity for another Kanto game.
They have given us so much Kanto stuff recently, both in Gen 7 and Gen 6. Plus, the Alolan dex is already full of Kanto Pokemon. We won't need a Kanto game to fill the dex up for one thing.
There are very few Sinnoh Pokemon, however, and also few Johto Pokemon. Although if we ever get HGSS remakes, it'll be a long time coming, but those games did have both Kanto and Johto in them.

Between Stars and the 2018 games, every Pokemon is likely to be obtainable regardless of the region, so that is not a strong argument. And for the record, there are about as many Generation I Pokemon (70) in Alola as Generation III ones in Kalos; Alola forms don't really count. And if we count the Friend Safari, XY had as many as 108 Generation III critters.

But I'm fully in favor of including both Kanto and Johto - in sequels - to combat the "too much Kanto" opinion. Generation II is starting to get promoted again, which is a good sign.

Last edited:
I got the feeling that not just Gen 4 remakes & Star are not the only Pokémon Games will come out this year. Because the Classic Gen 2 Games will rerelease on Eshop probably.

They have given us so much Kanto stuff recently, both in Gen 7 and Gen 6. Plus, the Alolan dex is already full of Kanto Pokemon. We won't need a Kanto game to fill the dex up for one thing.
There are very few Sinnoh Pokemon, however, and also few Johto Pokemon. Although if we ever get HGSS remakes, it'll be a long time coming, but those games did have both Kanto and Johto in them.

The Pokemon aren't really significant. As you pointed out, they already have Kanto Pokemon in XY and SM and they can put whatever Pokemon they want in whatever game they want, so that's not much of a reason to remake a game anymore. What matters more is what they can do with the region and anything else inherent to the game, and those aspects of Kanto have definitely been lacking. We haven't seen Kanto itself in a while and they haven't really done much to improve or develop it. A game that develops Kanto in the same way that games like BW2 and ORAS would be infinitely more worthwhile than just spamming 1st gen Pokemon from now until the end of time.

Including the starters?

Yep. You can complete the National Dex with just XY and ORAS (and now SM).

Also, would a sequel require people to have played the original games in order to understand the story?

Ehh, not really. For one thing, the original games don't have much of a story - you can pretty much sum up the story they do have in a couple of sentences. For two, even B2W2 were self-contained enough to be comprehensible to people who hadn't played the originals. Kanto sequels set over a decade after the originals would have even less to immediately tether them to that story.

I don't know about downgraded 3DS versions of any Switch game, especially in late 2018. If I were Nintendo, I would just focus on making the Switch more affordable by then.

I agree that they should focus on the Switch itself. I just think, if they feel absolutely compelled to provide a concession to 3DS players, then it's an option they could consider.

The Pokemon aren't really significant. As you pointed out, they already have Kanto Pokemon in XY and SM and they can put whatever Pokemon they want in whatever game they want, so that's not much of a reason to remake a game anymore. What matters more is what they can do with the region and anything else inherent to the game, and those aspects of Kanto have definitely been lacking. We haven't seen Kanto itself in a while and they haven't really done much to improve or develop it. A game that develops Kanto in the same way that games like BW2 and ORAS would be infinitely more worthwhile than just spamming 1st gen Pokemon from now until the end of time.

Back in Gen 6, The Kalos dex had very few Hoenn Pokemon available, thus the game would have been hard to complete without a Gen 3 remake. The lack of Hoenn Pokemon in the Kalos dex was also considered a hint to the remake.

Back in Gen 6, The Kalos dex had very few Hoenn Pokemon available, thus the game would have been hard to complete without a Gen 3 remake. The lack of Hoenn Pokemon in the Kalos dex was also considered a hint to the remake.

The Kalos Dex wasn't missing all that many from Hoenn. Just the Starters, the Legendary Pokémon, Castform, Feebas, Baltoy, and Slakoth.

Yep. You can complete the National Dex with just XY and ORAS (and now SM).

Ehh, not really. For one thing, the original games don't have much of a story - you can pretty much sum up the story they do have in a couple of sentences. For two, even B2W2 were self-contained enough to be comprehensible to people who hadn't played the originals. Kanto sequels set over a decade after the originals would have even less to immediately tether them to that story.

I agree that they should focus on the Switch itself. I just think, if they feel absolutely compelled to provide a concession to 3DS players, then it's an option they could consider.

Can you imagine all the silly stuff people will ask me in exchange of a Level 1 Chimchar?

It doesn't need to be in the Kalos Dex. They can put them in post game too, and a lot of 3rd gen Pokemon were in XY's post game. It's pretty much impossible to put every Pokemon in a regional dex each generation anyway, so for them to satisfy making every Pokemon accessible in a generation some of them have to be post game.

And again, even disregarding the post-game, the Kalos Pokedex covered more than half of Generation III. The Alola Pokedex may favor Generation I, but it's still missing 81 Pokemon. Not to mention that a new Kanto Pokedex would include other Pokemon missing from Alola (I can see them adding at least 150 Pokemon), whereas the Sinnoh Pokedex would almost definitely be limited to the Platinum roster at best.

Can you imagine all the silly stuff people will ask me in exchange of a Level 1 Chimchar?
Chimchar is about as accessible as any starter excluding the Alola ones (and I suppose the Johto and Unova ones due to Island Scan, but that feature is a bit of a pain). If you don't have ORAS, just wait for the next games that will make virtually all the starters obtainable in one swoop.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom