• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Game in 2017

What pokemon game do you want to see in 2017 after Sun and Moon

• Gen 4 Remake

Votes: 36 44.4%
  • Sun and Moon Sequel

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • Pokemon Eclipse

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • Pokemon Kanto Sequel

Votes: 11 13.6%
  • Pokemon Spin-off (Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 2017)

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • None of the above, 2017 will have a break year

Votes: 10 12.3%

• Total voters
Did anyone notice blurred text when playing Sun and Moon? This could be another stretch of the 3DS' capabilities. Stars will fix this hopefully. :)

No there wasn't. When I played my Sun game on 3DS, there was no blurred text. Five to six years is not that old for the 3DS in my opinion.

Did anyone notice blurred text when playing Sun and Moon? This could be another stretch of the 3DS' capabilities. Stars will fix this hopefully. :)
Where your prove or evidence, when I was playing sun and moon, I didn't see no blurred text
No there wasn't. When I played my Sun game on 3DS, there was no blurred text. Five to six years is not that old for the 3DS in my opinion.
True, they should run it's course till 2018, but next year, we might get a pokemon game for 3ds or if this star rumor turns out to be true, we might get that

Wall of quote time. Putting this in spoilers because it's long.

I've seen you throw this number around a lot. Could you give me a numerical breakdown of how you arrived at this conclusion that Stars will sell ~40% fewer copies than any other third version in a generation?

The reason I ask is because the bulk of consumers purchase hardware for the ability to also purchase compatible software. The hardware does not usually restrict the sales of the software based on price. In the case of the Wii U, it was poor advertising and lack of third party software support that killed its sales. The Wii U on its own is a fine console (if not exactly up to par with its competitors) but it did not offer the wide selection of software compared to its competitors. It could only rely on first-party developed titles.

You're missing the point. It's not about the price, it's about needing to purchase new hardware to get a port of something they'll have just played a year ago. What matters is that hardware is an expensive purchase, and larger purchases like that are going to decrease demand.

With how much you claim that Stars will be a third version with minimal changes I don't see why you would have a problem with it jumping to Switch

Maybe if we got another main game alongside it, but for that to be our big 2017 game? Tremendous disappointment. Let's have something less lazy, please.

“All games have to be on 1 system” isn't a good argument.

If by that you mean all 7th gen games, than yes, that's a great argument. Otherwise, I'm not arguing that.

“3DS has a bigger has more costumers” The DS sold more.

The DS is dead though, while the 3DS isn't. The 3DS has the biggest install base of any active Nintendo hardware right now.

I can actually believe her rumors because she has yet to be wrong

Mother 3 VC says hi.

Saving money for the sake of saving is putting it on the 3DS because there will be minimal changes and there is no risk.

You don't know that it will be minimal changes, they can do whatever they want with a 3DS game. But it'll definitely be cheaper than doing the same thing on Switch, and they'll have a bigger install base

When running a business you're looking at the future as well and not just easy profits for now. Switch is the future.
And again it won't cost them that much to create a 3rd version on Switch because you're using existing assets already. When creating a new Gen you start all over again which means more money then reworking an existing game.

Switch is the future, but it's not a future we need to rush into. Even reusing existing assets, they'll still need to spend more money to put it on the stronger hardware which makes it less profitable. 8th gen on the Switch is inevitable regardless, so that money's going to be sunk either way and it's a decision between putting a third version on the 3DS or a third version on the Switch. And putting it on the 3DS is definitely the more profitable of the two scenarios.

If you bought a Switch for Pokemon Stars I'm pretty sure you're gonna buy Gen 8 because I don't think you buy a system for 1 Pokemon game only.

Again, you're missing the point. To argue that Stars is convincing more people to buy 8th gen that would mean that without Stars those people would not be interested in 8th gen. And when the sales figures are significantly higher for new generations, it's tough to make that claim.

So they added features... Oke but when did they move away from those iterations exactly? They added stuff each time and made the third legend the focus in 3 and 4 and Gen 5 was a sequel but they all were STILL in the same region.
When did move away from iterations in the SAME region exactly? Because Kalos didn't have one? I hope that's not you're proof.

You're looking at this way too narrow mindedly, it's not just about adding features, it's about how it's set apart from the original experience. A third version is not just a revisit to an old region, it specifically refers to a rehash of the game with a few edits to the game. BW2 are not third versions, the game is a completely new adventure set in the same region. What I was pointing out is that the games have continually drifted further and further from the original game, adding more and more to the games and eventually just ditching third versions altogether.

But the fact is- we don't know. We don't know if Stars will be able to communicate with the other games. So, saying that bank will be the only way to communicate, and we won't be able to battle is a bit of an exaggeration.

If the hardware isn't backwards compatible, then why would you be able to trade and battle between the two systems? The lack of BC already is strong evidence that Switch games will not be able to trade and battle with 3DS games.

GF can endure lower Sales for Stars, so that we get a more polished Gen VIII, and Stars can be potentially a way to avoid another XY Complaints scenario. So, they're making a low-selling Pokemon game (whose cost price will be low, since a port (as some Stars Opposers have said that Stars is simply a port of SM) has a low cost price, so that's a deal-deal. Remember- Stars will be boosting the sales of Gen VIII by the way of a larger Switch fan base on the Switch.

And for all of that lack of polish, XY is still the highest selling 3DS game.

And no, Stars will not necessarily boost 8th gen sales. Many of those people will buy a Switch for Stars regardless.

I think it was announced that we'll be having some games on the Switch, for eg. Mario, and Zelda. So, Mario+Pokemon+Zelda seems to fill the definition of "more games" for launch, anyway.

Still not enough. They're going to want at least 5 or 6 solid games to make a strong statement.

I think they'be taken their lesson with Pokemon XY. They'll just let out a game with cheap making cost (Stars) as practice for Gen VIII, and when they have practice for Switch engine (thanks to Stars), we'll be able to have a better Gen VIII with a better storyline (XY lacked that, I'v heard some people say).

XY lacked more than that, the other big complaint was a lack of extra content in the game. And there's been no proof that waiting until later has any effect on that, BW and SM were new generations in the middle of a console and they didn't exactly have a wealth of content over the generation before.

And, as most of the opposing users have been saying, that Switch is a port of SM, it would take less to make Stars. The low sales will balance it, and you can say that for Gen VIII. They'll be spending more money with less usebase for a Gen VIII.
Also, if Gf does Stars, it will take less cost to make Gen VIII, this lowering the cost, and increasing profits.

See my response to Djinn. It'll cost them more money with less userbase to put a third version on Switch instead of 3DS, and the spending and sales for 8th gen is going to be relatively fixed regardless of what they do, making a third version on Switch the less profitable route.

The answer is- No one. Since the Switch games cannot be played in another console (and Gen VIII will most likely be a Switch release), and we haven't heard of Switch emulators. Who will buy a game if they cannot play it?[/QUOTE]

You're not understanding the question. How many people would be discouraged from buying a Switch for 8th gen if they didn't already have one? That's the key question you need to answer if you're going to argue that Stars will boost 8th gen sales. If everyone's just going to buy a Switch to play 8th gen anyway then Stars has absolutely no impact on that, and the sales of generation debuts vs. third versions seem to indicate that is indeed the case.

Ports of Wii U games, which almost no-one played, will really help the Switch. Most people skipped the Wii U. It would be such a loss for Nintendo to lose many gems like Splatoon due to the Wii U keeping them back.

Yeah, Wii U ports will help them gain sales because the Switch will likely have a bigger userbase. 3DS ports, on the other hand, are riskier because the 3DS already sold fairly well and it's entirely possible the Switch never matches the 3DS' lifetime total depending on how things go.

3 years old? It was released in 2011. The console is oooooooold.

We shouldn't still be reliant on something that was technologically deficient upon release as Nintendo's main console in 2017.

"Technologically deficient" is a bit of an exaggeration, the 3DS works fine it's just a tad slow. And it won't be Nintendo's main console, but at the same time, the Switch doesn't need to be Nintendo's only console until it has enough games to stand on its own. And it definitely won't at launch, no matter how good the lineup is. The quantity just won't be there.

I have seen some complaints of slowdown and framerate drops, but no reports of blurred text anywhere other than that one post you made.

Me and and Master Cyrus have supported his statement, all you need to do is a simple google search to bring up a few results. I've been seeing this for the entire game.

One of the girls trading in the Royal Avenue's Pokemon Center definitively has blurred text.

Last edited:
You're missing the point. It's not about the price, it's about needing to purchase new hardware to get a port of something they'll have just played a year ago. What matters is that hardware is an expensive purchase, and larger purchases like that are going to decrease demand.
My point is that you keep throwing numbers into your argument that are starting to sound completely made up. I understand the rest of your point, but it's weakened by the fact that you feel it needs to be backed up by arbitrary values.

And without knowing how much of a "port" Stars will be I can't say whether it won't be be worth its value or not. Hardware has always been expensive, and there are times where people will pass up a console due to a high price, but ultimately the hardware will be purchased if there is software for it. And Pokemon sells. It's a cash cow franchise to the extreme.

Me and and Master Cyrus have supported his statement, just a simple google search is enough to bring up a few results. I've been seeing this for the entire game.

One of the girls trading in the Royal Avenue's Pokemon Center definitively has blurred text.
Thank you! :)

I also noticed it most through the story. I just ignored it, but felt that it was my 3DS at fault. Guess it's a more common problem.

Really looking forward to Stars now. :)

Filling the Switch's launch lineup with ports is asking for failure. People want something new. That's why the initial pair of a gen sell more than the third versions. Updated ports tend to not sell well either.

Thank you! :)

I also noticed it most through the story. I just ignored it, but felt that it was my 3DS at fault. Guess it's a more common problem.

Really looking forward to Stars now. :)
I chalked it up to my XL screen stretching it. Do you guys also play on XLs?

Filling the Switch's launch lineup with ports is asking for failure. People want something new. That's why the initial pair of a gen sell more than the third versions. Updated ports tend to not sell well either.

If people wanted something new then the Mario Franchise or several other popular franchises wouldn't have last.

If Stars is real, when would people want it to be released?

I think that it'll be Friday, the 17th of November with Europe on Wednesday, the 22th of November.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom