• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Game Rituals

Skittymew

believe in steven
Reaction score
Do any of you guys have any strange things you do when you play a Pokemon game? Like you always do it, no matter what, and it's kind of ridiculous but you do it anyway?

For me, I never save my games less than 2 blocks outside or inside of the Pokemon Center, for fear that the save data will be lost. It's probably because when I was little I had a Blue cartridge that had been put in the washer, and the save battery got messed up. For some reason, it would get all glitched up if I saved outside of a Pokemon Center, so I never do that any more.

How about you?

Last edited:
I always save twice, and sometimes thrice, since my sister's Pearl game just randomly got corrupted one day. Mine's never were, but now it's just a habit.

I also normally catch only female Pokemon for my main team in my main game (even restarting for the starter) and catch either gender of whatever else I catch to catch after that and in other playthroughs.

I save every time I do anything. I pick up an item, I save the game. I capture a new Pokemon, I save. I save before going into a gym. I save after beating the gym. I save after getting to a new town. I save before fighting any NPC. I save after beating any kind of NPC. I'm extremely paranoid as you can see. xD

Oh, Haha! I always talk to(read:yell @) NPCs. And I have this weird thing with using potions, even if my Pokémon has like 3 HP less than Max. I only save outside buildings. :U

Gens I-III I always mash the d-pad in circles when making a catch attempt. Now, I just draw circles around the Poké Ball symbol on the touch screen, even if I've got my Action Replay in with the 100% catch rate code on (to save my team's health and/or PP for trainer battles and wild training (i.e an unevolved Pokémon (i.e. first stage, except in certain cases (such as a Pikachu) I've already caught or any evolved Pokémon)).

I always rearrange my PC boxes to have my active mons in the later boxes (in Black 2, there are exceptions for those I designate in labeled boxes). I find them easily that way.

Every time I visit a Pokemart, no matter what I'm buying I make sure to get an Antidote and a Parlyz Heal as well. You can never have too many of either.

When I save in a Pokemon Center, I have to stand in the exact middle of the Poke Ball design on the floor. I don't know why but I have to do it. I also have a tendency to call out encouragement to my team members when we're in the middle of a tough battle. I've told my Golurk many times that I know he can do it, he can get the win for me and to just hang in there. If someone gets hurt, I tell them good job before I switch them out. I also have to buy any items, such as Potions or Full Heals, in multiples of five.

I am weird.

Whenever I buy a new game, I also buy a goat. Before I even remove the shrink-wrap from the box, I take the goat and place it in the centre of an alter surrounded by lit candles. I then kill the goat and use its blood to draw a magic circle around the game box and my console, before chanting some magic words.

Actually...I just always make sure to have a Fire type, a Water type, a Grass type and a Flying type. I also name my rival over someone who is getting the game at the same time I am. Also, when I am trying to catch a Pokémon, I'll move my hand in time to the Pokéball's shaking.

Holding Down + B when making a catch. I know it doesn't work but old habits die hard. I just like to believe that by doing that after my Pokemon's show of strength I'm finishing the job by imposing my will onto the monster making it submit to me.

As soon as I can get enough of them, the Great Ball always becomes my go-to ball for captures. Probably just like the look and name.

I always try to catch the first Pokemon I want with a Premier Ball. I have no idea why, but 90% of the time I'll only have that one Pokemon in a Premier Ball. I also try to save my Poke Balls in the beginning until I can get to a mart and buy enough to equal 20.

I always save at least twice after doing something important after my first Pokémon Pearl became corrupted and required that save twice in order for anything to be saved. Not to mention a possibility that something could happen to my DS causing the game to freeze. This can include before beginning a battle, winning a battle, catching a Pokémon, healing at the Pokemon center, etc.

I also plan out a lot of things I plan to do in the story mode, such as my team, their nicknames, what gym battles I'll use them in, even the Poké Balls they'll be captured in and a lot more.

I rearrange every Pokémon on my boxes so every line starts with the largest sprite and ends with with smallest. Every box must also be completely filled with either fully evolved Pokémon or unevolved Pokémon, the ones that don't evolve being treated as fully evolved.

Whenever I'm trying to catch a Pokémon, I tilt my head to the sides, mimicking the Poké Ball's movement, and when the ball's about to play the catch animation, I nod, like I'm telling the ball "Good Job".

And the strange thing is that it always works... well, except when it doesn't. xD

My game rituals are:
-Whatever gender I'm playing, I somehow always end up using a team almost full of the same gender as my character. There's always only ONE pokemon that's either the opposite gender, or has no gender at all. The only exception for this is my girl in White, Rose. Most of her team is male. XD.
(But it wouldn't be if the Kami trio weren't so epic. <3)
-I ALWAYS have to have a female eevee whenever you get one from an NPC or whatever. Always. I do not stand getting a male one, which is why I hated the fact you can only get a male eevee from that storage chic in Castelia City. I was not happy. D:
-I, like Silverwynde, always feel the need to stand in the middle of the Pokeball in the Pokemon Centers. Drives me nuts if i don't. xD.
...And pretty much anything else everybody has listed...I most likely do it too. :D

Whenever I'm trying to catch a Pokémon, I tilt my head to the sides, mimicking the Poké Ball's movement, and when the ball's about to play the catch animation, I nod, like I'm telling the ball "Good Job".

And the strange thing is that it always works... well, except when it doesn't. xD

Oh yeah! I do that too! Ever since my first game, because I thought the gods above would grant me this pokemon if I was synced. Or, you know, something like that. :)

Holding Down + B when making a catch. I know it doesn't work but old habits die hard.

Oh, hell yeah. I tend to count the wobbles as well.

Since I got back into Pokémon with Soul Silver, I've been making my last save (The last one before I turn the DS off) in a Pokémon Centre. I try to stand somewhere out of the way, as if my sprite is somehow an NPC when the game's off

Some of my habits/rituals are:

-Rapidly pressing A during the start up and when catching a Pokemon.

-Never saving with a NPC right behind my character. (I used to think they could steal my items as a kid)

-Buying an even amount of items from Poke Marts, Department Stores, etc.

-Saving before an important battle like a Gym Leader or evil team Boss.

I used to nickname ever single Pokemon I caught or hatched but nowadays I tend to let a few Pokemon go un-nicknamed.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom