• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Generation 9’s fire starter?

Fennekin is also another anomaly. The "Dog" in the Chinese Zodiac refers to domesticated dogs. Fennekin and its evolutions are actually based on fennec foxes. Domesticated dogs are more closely related to wolves than they are to foxes.

Because there canines.
If GameFreak were following the Chinese zodiac, why would they design a fox Pokémon instead of a dog and an echidna/badger instead of a rat? You'd think that if they truly were basing Fire starters off of it, they'd follow it closely rather than settle for similar looking animals, especially considering the evolutions of these Pokémon resemble dogs and rats even less. The designers may possibly use the zodiac as inspiration, but I don't think it's the only thing they base the Fire starters off of.

If GameFreak were following the Chinese zodiac, why would they design a fox Pokémon instead of a dog and an echidna/badger instead of a rat? You'd think that if they truly were basing Fire starters off of it, they'd follow it closely rather than settle for similar looking animals, especially considering the evolutions of these Pokémon resemble dogs and rats even less. The designers may possibly use the zodiac as inspiration, but I don't think it's the only thing they base the Fire starters off of.
And the only reason why they're even calling Cyndaquil the rat is because the Pokedex calls it the "Fire Mouse Pokemon".

Yeah sorry I'll never agree with the whole Chinese zodiac theory regarding the Fire Starters; it's not really a pattern if there's an exception like Cyndaquil and even Fennekin to an extent. It's the fan theory that I hate the most... almost tied with the Gen 6.5 theories from the X/Y time period.

Anyway just to humor the first post and give my thoughts on what I'd want the Fire Starter to be, I'm hoping for another bird like Fire Starter. Maybe something based on a cardinal or parrot.

Yeah sorry I'll never agree with the whole Chinese zodiac theory regarding the Fire Starters; it's not really a pattern if there's an exception like Cyndaquil and even Fennekin to an extent. It's the fan theory that I hate the most... almost tied with the Gen 6.5 theories from the X/Y time period.

Anyway just to humor the first post and give my thoughts on what I'd want the Fire Starter to be, I'm hoping for another bird like Fire Starter. Maybe something based on a cardinal or parrot.
Yeah. It's pretty bunk with all the hoops they need to jump through in order to justify Cyndaquil and Fennekin.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom