• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mafia Pokemon Generation Four Mafia! [ENDGAME]

Introduce Hammer votes? (Majority of votes on a single player would end the phase)

• Yes

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • No

Votes: 8 72.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Vote: Shorten Phase

town figured everything out fairly easily, huh...

Sorry about not shortening the phase, plans came up out of the blue so I just prioritised them. I'll post the update in an hour (9PM), as it's an easier time for me.

(So on a technicality i did shorten the phase :p)

Host Calvin has been lynched!

Dear Calvin,

375px-493Arceus.png

You are Arceus, the Alpha Pokemon!

As the god of Pokemon, you have been observing the Pokemon in the world across its many regions when conflict arises. Being able to adapt to any Pokemon Type which exists, your existence aids the order of type effectiveness, thus, without you, there would be no super-effective moves.

Your abilities are:

Phase Changer: You can change the phase of time in the Pokemon World. From Day to Night, and from Night to Day.

God Kill: In the case that a pesky Pokemon disobeys the order, they will be swiftly removed from the world of Pokemon.

You are sided with Yourself. Your objective is to be a fair host to everyone and end the game.

Last edited:
ENDGAME - TOWN + INDEPENDANT WIN
Players:
1. @ZinnLav
2. @DawningWinds
3. @CyanideCrystal
4. @MegaPod
5. @Jinjo
6. @Pikochu
7. @Auxillify
8. @Max1996
9. @Luminous Dawn
10. @Midorikawa
11. @TheCapsFan
12. @Tood
13. @Patrycjator
14. @HumanDawn

Spectators:
1. @prog rocker

Final Vote Count:
Jinjo: VI (Luminous Dawn, DawningWinds, Tood, HumanDawn, MegaPod, Max1996)
Midorikawa: II (CyanideCrystal, Midorikawa)

Jinjo took 6HP damage and fainted!
Dear Jinjo,

1584519644474.png

You are Dialga, The Temporal Pokemon!

You are the cover star for Pokemon Diamond, the first game alongside Pokemon Pearl to be released for the 4th generation.

Currently controlled by Cyrus, you have no control over your actions, and as such this makes you dangerous to all those around you. You have constant clashes with Palkia, but due to it also being under the control of Cyrus, Palkia is currently you team mate.

Your moves are as follows:
Earth Power: Name
Earth Power is a ground type move that will deal 2HP damage to your target.
Roar of Time: Name
Roar of Time is a dragon type move that will deal 4HP damage to your target. If you use this move you will not be able to use any moves in the following night phase.

You are sided with the Mafia. Your objective is to eliminate the town forces, or be in a position where nothing can stop you from winning.
They were sided with the Mafia!

Midorikawa took 2HP damage and fainted!
Dear Midorikawa,

1584507447869.png

You are Darkrai, the Pitch-Black Pokemon!

You are a Dark-Type Mythical Pokemon, introduced in Generation IV.

Dark Void: Name
This commutes a player that you target for the night phase by putting them to sleep. This goes with your ability. As you are commuting someone, this means every other attack on them in the same night will fail.
2x Trick: Name -> Name
Trick is a Psychic type move that allows you to move actions affecting one player onto someone else twice a game.

Your ability is Bad Dreams:
Every target you put to sleep will be dealt 2HP of damage, as well as 1HP in the day phase after. Due to this being an ability, it is not affected by Weakness and Resistances.

You are sided with yourself. You win when you are the only player remaining, essentially making you a Weak Serial Killer.
They were sided with themselves!

With no Mafia and opposing forces able to stop the stop the Town, This means the town (and patrycjator) has won! Congratulations!

As per usual guys, thanks a lot for joining the game and coping with various issues in the game. As said earlier i'm not happy with some things on my side about the game, and I aim to fix it before Gen V even comes close to going into the queue. To help improve the game, I have a few questions to ask which are completely optional, but if the time was taken it would be appreciated!

Did you enjoy the game?

What improvements what you personally recommend?

How were the roles?

Is there anything you would like to add?

(Remaining Town role PMs will be coming in another post, just wanted to get the game end post out!)

Dear Max1996,

1584507014751.png

You are Gible, the Land Shark Pokemon!

You are a Dragon / Ground type introduced in Generation IV. Your evolved form is Gabite, and then Garchomp.

Currently you are vanilla and have no abilities or moves, your vote is your only power.

However because of this, you have a heightened evolve chance at 50%.

You are sided with the Town, you win when all threats to the town are eliminated.
Dear Max1996,

1584879822108.png

You evolved during the night! You evolved into Gabite, the Cave Pokemon!

You are a Dragon / Ground type introduced in Generation IV. Your evolved form is Garchomp.

Your actions are the following:
Dragon Claw: Name
Dragon Claw is a dragon type move dealing 2HP damage to your target.

You also have an ability! Your ability is the following:
Sand Veil:
Sand Veil reduces incoming damage by 1HP, this does not stack, and is applied after Weakness and Resistances. So if you took 8HP damage from three different attacks, it would still only reduce by 1HP, making it 7HP damage instead.

Your wincon and HP remains the same.

Dear HumanDawn,

1584509816846.png

You are Riolu, the Emanation Pokemon.

You are a Fighting-Type introduced in Generation IV. Your evolved form is Lucario. Your evolve chance is 35%.

Your move is as follows:
Force Palm: Name
Force Palm is a fighting type move that will deal 1HP damage to your target. It has a 30% chance of paralyzing (stopping targets attack).

Your ability is Steadfast, if you are hit by an attack, you have the highest priority in the next night.

You are sided with the Town, you win when all threats to the town are eliminated.
Dear HumanDawn,

1585058576129.png

You evolved into Lucario, The Aura Pokemon!

You are a Fighting / Steel type pokemon introduced in Generation IV, this is your final evolution.

You have lost the move Force Palm, but you have gained access to a new move, Aura Sphere
Aura Sphere is a Fighting type move that will deal 2HP damage to your target. However, once you get weaker this attack becomes stronger, at the following thresholds:

11-15HP: 2HP Damage
6-10: 3HP Damage
1-5: 4HP Damage

This is before weakness and resistance modifiers are applied.

Your wincon and ability remains the same.

Dear Luminous Dawn,

1584507298459.png

You are Starly, the Starling Pokemon!

You are a Normal / Flying type introduced in Generation IV. Your evolved form is Staravia, and then Staraptor.

Currently you are vanilla and have no abilities or moves, your vote is your only power.

Your evolve chance is 40%

Dear Luminous Dawn,

1585166431323.png

You evolved into Staravia, the Starling Pokemon!

You have gained the following attack, Wing Attack!
Wing Attack is a Flying-type move that will deal 1HP damage to your target.

You have also gained the ability Keen Eye
This allows you to check a player, then you will be able to see just one of that pokemons habitat. A habitat being a location where a pokemon resides.

Your HP and Wincon remains the same.

*You may use Keen Eye and Wing Attack in the same night.

Dear DawningWinds,

1584497518584.png

You are Bronzor, the Bronze Pokemon!

You are a Steel / Psychic type introduced in Generation IV. Your evolution is Bronzong, and you have a 33% chance to evolve into Bronzong every night.

Extrasensory: Name
Extrasensory is a psychic type move that will damage your target for 1HP.

You also have the ability of Heatproof, meaning you lose your fire type weakness.

Dear MegaPod,

1584500912469.png

You are Duskull, the Requiem Pokemon!

You are a Ghost type originating in Generation III, in the Hoenn region. Your evolved form is Dusclops, and then Dusknoir. You have a 40% chance to evolve into Dusclops.

You don't have any moves in this form, and due to you being from the Hoenn region, you will come up as a negative check for any checks on you (If applicable)

You also have the ability Levitate, which renders you immune to Ground type moves.

Dear MegaPod,

1585058900401.png

You evolved into Dusclops, the Beckon Pokemon!
You are a Ghost type originating in Generation III, in the Hoenn region. Your evolved form is Dusknoir. You have a 30% chance to evolve into Dusknoir, but only at the end of night phases.

You have learned the move Astonish
Astonish is a Ghost-type move that will deal 1HP damage to your target. It has a very small chance to flinch an oppenent and stop their move if they are attacking. Status moves will not be stopped. This has a 10% chance of hitting.

On evolution you have earned the chance to learn one of the following moves
Fire Punch
Thunder Punch
Ice Punch

Each of these moves deal 2HP damage of their respective type, and each have a 20% chance to apply a status condition, Freeze will stop an opponent from using status moves, Paralysis will be a full roleblock, and inflicting a burn will damage someone for 1HP typeless damage every phase.

You have lost the ability Levitate, and have gained the ability Pressure, this will stop the same player attacking you twice in a row in the night.
Your Wincon and HP remains the same.

Dear CyanideCrystal,

1584499629209.png

You are Croagunk, the Toxic Mouth Pokemon!

You are a dual type Poison / Fighting type introduced in Generation IV. Your evolved stage is Toxicroak, and you have a 30% chance to evolve every night into it.

Poison Jab: Name
Poison Jab is a poison type move that will deal 1HP damage to your target.

You also have the ability Anticipation, this will tell you if an attacking player has a move that is super-effective against you. This includes non damaging moves.

Dear CyanideCrystal,

1585604124450.png

You evolved into Toxicroak! The Toxic Mouth Pokemon!

Your Poison Jab now does 2HP damage, and will always poison on a successful hit!

Your ability, HP, and Wincon remain the same.

Dear Tood,

1584508892042.png

You are Shaymin, the Gratitude Pokemon!

You are a Grass Type mythical pokemon introduced in Generation IV.

Synthesis: Name
Synthesis is a grass type move that lets you heal a player for 3HP. Using this move will put you in your land forme, making you a pure Grass Type
Seed Flare: Name
Seed Flare is a Grass type move that deals 3HP damage to your target. Using this move will put you in your sky forme, making you a Grass / Flying type. Should you be frozen at any point you will revert back to Land Forme.

Your ability is Serene Grace. Any target healed by you will also have their status effects removed.

Did you enjoy the game?

Yes! By the way, the Goku image in one of my posts was a very VERY soft Riolu claim because Goku fights and can feel the good and bad in people. Their aura.

Game felt incredibly Town-sided role wise. One Mafia didn't even have an attacking move. I think the balance of the game relied on the Serial Killer causing havoc, but they ended up outing early. If a Gen 5 game is made, I recommend cutting off private communication, and giving all the Mafia attacking moves. On paper, 3 Mafia and 9 Town with one potentially anti-Town/Mafia independent and one Serial Killer sounds good, but everyone's attack being like a Cop check makes the Mafia be in quite a pickle.

How were the roles?

I liked all of them! Just needed to give Spiritomb an attacking move, and maybe nerf Shaymin's 3 damage. Looking back over Auxillify and Pikochu's roles they were pretty OP too.

I think the game would have been more exciting with no private communications. My role being Riolu/Lucario is the reason why I was trusted so much, because it would be incredibly strange to not include the most popular Pokemon which tops the charts in every Pokemon poll and is incredibly marketable across the generations! Ash is even getting one in the next episode of the anime!

Did you enjoy the game?
Yeah, it was fun!

Mafia should probably be buffed up in the next iteration of this game. All it took was coordination for town to win and there wasn't much they could have done to fight that.

I think it's also a bit odd that only town + indep had status moves, too. It doesn't seem like mafia had that many options to use to mess with town aside from Spiritomb.

How were the roles?
I probably shouldn't have had that 3 HP attack move. Just a healing ability could have been fine, I think. I didn't even get to use it at all because the 3 HP damage seems a lot more worthwhile to use. I don't think it made Palkia's Heal Block too useful in the end, either...

For the others, giving mafia stronger attacks with added side effects might be nice for future games. The town roles all seemed fun.

I learnt that Shaymin going from sky to land form when frozen is an actual game mechanic, so that's neat.

All it took was coordination for town to win and there wasn't much they could have done to fight that.
This is Mafia games in general. Scum never stand a chance if town can coordinate. That’s why Mafia infiltrating the lines of communication, providing misinformation, and potentially becoming trustee hubs of information is critical for a Mafia victory.

One thing I will say, having played in two of the previous games in this series and experienced this firsthand in my crushing defeat of town last time. Do not underestimate how much town’s power dwindles as the game drags on. Town starts out with plenty of voting fire power and can take out most of a player’s HP in the first day, but as time goes on, and town loses more and more players, they not only lose voting power, but also attacks and abilities.

The serial killer was supposed to be the wildcard in the game, but Mido and HD work far too well together (my second favorite Mafia game alliance, losing only to myself and Elieson). Honestly, if HD had been scum, there would have been a much higher chance Town would lose.

That said, were there mechanical or balance issues with the game overall? I honestly do not know. I helped out Calvin perform a recalibration of the mechanics in the immediate follow up to my massive victory in Gen Three Mafia, the largest of which was modifying/removing the scum kill, which was completely unbalanced in the absence of actual town lynching power.

The game’s core mechanics are sound, and very creative, but, unfortunately, due to the complexity, it is more difficult to balance. The game has been Town lopsided (Gen 1 and Gen 4) but it has also been Scum lopsided (Gens 2-3). It is constantly evolving to try to find a better formula, and it has come leaps and bounds since Gen 1 Mafia.

Back
Top Bottom