• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mafia Pokemon Generation Two Mafia! [Night Eight]

How would you like your Days, I have plans for both.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
...huh? I won? But I died.

What did you think of the game itself?

it was fairly interesting up until I died, then everything got boring

What Suggestions do you have to improve upon?

it did seem slightly town sided. I'm surprised the mafia won. Yes, I do acknowledge your efforts to balance it. I'd be surprised if the water absorb mons weren't there intentionally to make us think suicune was the third mafia, instead of raikou, and skarmory/zubat being there as additional flying-types potentially could have made it slightly harder to locate ho-oh and lugia. I also liked that there wasn't a real cop until day 3. The town also lacked a reliable lynch. But even with all that, the type effectiveness system was effectively able to be used too similarly to cop checks, something I don't think the town or I took advantage of well enough. So despite all the balancing efforts it still seemed slightly town sided to me.

What do you think of the roles made?

did anyone besides zexy actually evolve at any point? I think if you're going to implement an evolution system, the process of evolving should be much quicker. Besides that, I don't see any real problems...I was gonna say a lot of the roles were pretty dull, but that's probably just a consequence of that questionable evolution system. And ignoring said dull roles, you actually had a good amount of creativity going on. Nothing as creative as a recoil cop, tho...

Is there anything not mentioned you would like to comment on?

damn you, darth

Last of all... Generation III mafia, do you dig it?

damn straight. You better make sableye a role. And cacturne. And sharpedo. And swalot.

Congrats to the mafia! Darth was great for a while as a player and RC played very well in the end. Not sure why Darth was so willing to share info with town, though, he could've managed to keep some of the stuff he learned known just to mafia.

Thanks to Calvin for hosting!

As the MoD, I'd also like to thank all players for playing well in the entire game, there was no trouble at all.

I enjoyed it a lot, both as player and as MoD.
Most of these are things we already discussed in private. I'll elaborate on setup/balance things in the next question and add that you should try to be more timely with your updates and update the OP and title more consistnently.
The only problem with the setup, yet an absolutely huge one, was the 2 always-winning indeps. If those were town the game would be almost perfectly balanced. Always-winning roles however, outright break the game. These players don't really get affected by anything but can affect everything. When a role is guaranteed to win (like Lynchers etc.) you need to remove them from a game. By that logic these roles had to be removed from the game as winners Day 1... so there's no game for them really.
Definitely!

At this point I should also point out that I asked Calvin about Gen III and he said he plans it to be RSE-only... so I asked if he'd be OK with me designing an FRLG Mafia on his mechanics, and he accepted. So FRLG Mafia will soon be a thing in a TWR near you! I already finished the setup for that.

As for my thoughts on the game as a dead townie... inactivity really killed this in the end, town could've won it as they have figured out RC barely in time but needed to play it out right. But with all the paranoia with Iteru and some people forgetting to vote we got this... Iteru, for an indep, helped town a lot; both indeps did, so thanks to Rainomi as well. Alas; the game was well-balanced (under the idea that both indeps would play like town), as was evident by the result that was down to the wire and decided by town making mistakes only in the last moment.

...huh? I won? But I died.
Welcome to the world of windeps... I've got the windep role in Gen I Mafia, Mewtwo. Great times... but I didn't expect this to show up again because of how 100% broken it is -_-
it did seem slightly town sided. I'm surprised the mafia won. Yes, I do acknowledge your efforts to balance it. I'd be surprised if the water absorb mons weren't there intentionally to make us think suicune was the third mafia, instead of raikou, and skarmory/zubat being there as additional flying-types potentially could have made it slightly harder to locate ho-oh and lugia. I also liked that there wasn't a real cop until day 3. The town also lacked a reliable lynch. But even with all that, the type effectiveness system was effectively able to be used too similarly to cop checks, something I don't think the town or I took advantage of well enough. So despite all the balancing efforts it still seemed slightly town sided to me.
Incorrect, 3 mafia and 2 indeps in 15 people is bad when mafia gets a set nightkill while town doesn't get a set lynch but only HP votes. It only ended up being balanced because the 2 indeps played as if they were true townies. Water Absorb was there to heal Pokemon from accidental attacks of their allies so I don't think it was bad. However Suicune would make more sense as scum than Raikou, idk.

Skarmory wasn't really there, Skullcrow's role was a Ditto that could pick any Gen II mon and transform to it... which could be broken if someone tried to transform into Ho-oh or Lugia. Also another role that was bad, now that I think of it, is the 70% chance lie detector. Chance-based investigation roles are pretty much worth nothing. If the investigation isn't guaranteed to be accurate (with the only possible inaccuracies coming from Godfather-like roles) it is useless.

did anyone besides zexy actually evolve at any point? I think if you're going to implement an evolution system, the process of evolving should be much quicker. Besides that, I don't see any real problems...I was gonna say a lot of the roles were pretty dull, but that's probably just a consequence of that questionable evolution system. And ignoring said dull roles, you actually had a good amount of creativity going on. Nothing as creative as a recoil cop, tho...
Elementar did. I also think the chances could be a bit higher, my role evolved after a set amount of Growths that's why it was a guaranteed evolve after some phase. I don't think roles needed to be less dull. Just remove windeps, chance lie detector and it's OK; although Ditto is a bit questionable it can work if you account it into balance as a strong Pokemon like Ho-oh/Lugia.

Welcome to the world of windeps... I've got the windep role in Gen I Mafia, Mewtwo. Great times... but I didn't expect this to show up again because of how 100% broken it is -_-
I don't think I'll be counting this as a win for me
Incorrect, 3 mafia and 2 indeps in 15 people is bad when mafia gets a set nightkill while town doesn't get a set lynch but only HP votes. It only ended up being balanced because the 2 indeps played as if they were true townies. Water Absorb was there to heal Pokemon from accidental attacks of their allies so I don't think it was bad. However Suicune would make more sense as scum than Raikou, idk.
hmm, I suppose. I'm not the most educated as to the ideal game setup...

I wasn't complaining about water absorb, I thought it was an interesting fake out. Did the role even serve any purpose outside of that? As far as I know, the only water attacks swarla could have been hit by would have to have been from my metronome, garu if he'd evolved into vapo, or skullcrow if he'd morphed into a water-type. All of which are incredibly situational.

Although originating in Kanto, in the Generation One games, you can turn yourself into almost any pokemon, so you would blend in perfectly. Before the end of Day One, you must PM me with a numbered between 152, and 242. You will transform into the first evolution of this pokemons family. If you send 153, Bayleef, you would transform into Chikorita.

I understand the rest of the points, but Ditto would never have been able to evolve into Ho-Oh/Lugia.

Oh right, it couldn't become any of the legendaries... there probably still was a way to break this, though, not sure which Pokemon would do... but in that case something strong that doesn't need an evolution like Skarmory was a good pick. Although I'd probably pick an Electric-type to be able to super-effective hit the Flying types in the mafia.

I thought it was very well hosted and enjoyable.

Make the chances of evolving higher. And maybe more roles to help power up town. Since most people didn't evolve, we were a bit weaker than the mafia.

They fit the Pokemon perfectly and were very interesting.

Not really :)

Yes!!!

Thanks to @Calvin ッ for hosting a great game. And congrats to the mafia on winning :D

I liked it, mafia was a bit strong because it had a regular night kill and town did not have a lynch but with the roles and with the 12-3 town mafia split it came in pretty well and balanced.
Maybe give mafia stronger attacks but no night kill and maybe more than 1 move to use, it gives you more options to choose from and it doesn't get boring because you can switch it up.
They were fun and well made.
I liked what you did with the HP and evolution mechanics, shame we didn't see much of evolution.
Definitely.

I woke up to 2 games ending, both winning, both mafia. Amazing, my first mafia wins ever! How did we even win this one, I thought RC was done for. Great job @Rainbow Cloud & @AussieEevee.

It was a lot of fun.
Change the indep wincons and make the evolutionary system more prominent (it was a rare occasion)
They were well done. Unevolved Town mon were a bit weak, but that is fixed with evolving. I liked how my attack was also a power at the same time, maybe you should implement that more but that may make Town too strong.
Although people mention wanting more moves as options, it basically becomes War of the Elements were you check other players their typing.
Why did you add gen 1 pokemon like Zubat, but didn't let Blissey start out as Chansey?
Keep track of hp loss, you made that mistake quite often. It wasn't game breaking so don't worry about it, just something to keep in mind with organising the game.
Why was Raikou in our team?
Yes please, I feel so incomplete not having played gen 1 though....

did anyone besides zexy actually evolve at any point?
Besides Zexy and Elementar, Lone also evolved.

Nothing as creative as a recoil cop, tho...
damn you, darth
Thank you:p

Congrats to the mafia! Darth was great for a while as a player and RC played very well in the end. Not sure why Darth was so willing to share info with town, though, he could've managed to keep some of the stuff he learned known just to mafia.
Thanks, I'll explain in a moment.

Skarmory wasn't really there, Skullcrow's role was a Ditto that could pick any Gen II mon and transform to it...
Wait, that was a Ditto?! It never said so in his role pm.

As to my actions early on in the game:
It started out with a mistake. I thought that "Someone took 2 hp of damage" at the start of D2 was from Derp without seeing his mention above it. I thought I could safely claim it from him. I knew someone would claim that damage sooner or later so I had to come up with a fake claim. I needed someone with similar typing, at least psychic for my move. Because I was Lugia, Slowking came to my mind first. They shared an electric weakness which was great. Only grass was a problem to me, but that's just a matter of eliminating Zexy (hoping that he was the only grass type). Slowking was also a pokémon that would fit the game well, but is probably not put in. Having Blissey flip after the first night gave me proof that you don't have to be a first stage to start with.
I took cop as a risky claim for 2 reason:
1 Someone would cc me and we could then kill them to get rid of the cop (I already thought that I was screwed at this point anyway).
2 If it somehow would work out (seriously though, how did this work?!) I would get a lot of Town trust and try to get information.

I made up the recoil system to be more believable and to cover the damage that I claimed. I then got mass claims from almost everyone, the mafia made great use of this. I was honest with every claim so to get both enough trust and not being able to be busted (if town claimed to another town with a different result). If I would flip it might cause doubt in the claims that I gave.

We started fearing a cop might be in the inactive players and that I would get in trouble. When Lone flipped I got suspicion, but it was still somewhat believable to him. Rainomi ruined it with the indep. Who claims indep at that point!? We thought that there were no Town friendly indeps so it would work perfectly.
I also should have claimed that I got multiple hits on me instead of 1 to keep Slowking believable (I don't why I didn't do it while I was considering it). At this point I was dead and went on to claim Celebi. I knew that wouldn't work and that someone else was it. My final plan for mafia info worked out and YT fell into my trap by cc'ing Celebi.

Yeah that was a pretty awesome play Darth, congrats. Although had Lone's slot and Rainomi claimed earlier it would get ruined before it could achieve anything.

Yeah that was a pretty awesome play Darth, congrats. Although had Lone's slot and Rainomi claimed earlier it would get ruined before it could achieve anything.
in my defense, I recall a lot of people claiming before I had even damaged him

Happy and surprised we won in the end, I really thought it was over on day 7 when Iteru caught me, I'm guessing his sketch must have revealed my sacred fire move. I was worried he might use sketch on me when I heard about his claim from Darth and considered killing him earlier in the game to prevent this. I think I was pretty lucky though as the main thing that hurt town was the inactivity and indecesiveness during the later phases. If town had focused their votes and attacks on me after Iteru caught me, they would have won. I think there was still some suspicions about Iteru after I was caught though and my strategy after that point was to try to play on those suspicious and act like the innocent party whilst taking out the other players during the night phases. I was surprised about Iteru being an indep though, I was pretty sure he was town, I thought there may have been another indep but I suspected it to be SoaringDylan.

It was fun, I liked the gen 2 theme and the HP and attack based system was interesting. I think the HP based lynching system hurt town though as it took on average about 2 phases for the town to lynch someone and only if they worked together.

The HP based system was fun but was a bit unbalanced with the mafia's regular nightkill, maybe the mafia could have more powerful unlimited moves next time and no nightkill?

The roles were interesting, I was surprised that Raikou was the third mafia role. The two indeps seemed to be strange roles in that they were always guaranteed to win regardless of their actions.

I liked that I got the role of Ho-Oh in the game, a fun coincidence with my username :D

Yes, I'd definately be interested in playing in a Gen 3 mafia :)

Last edited:
I got Future Sight from you. I was 99% sure you were Ho-oh after that, because no other Fire type can learn that naturally in Gen II. It's why I asked you to claim again without telling you how I knew as I wanted to give you one last chance to claim what you were really were if you were a different Pokémon that could learn the move.

Do we get to see mafia QT/Discord?

I liked it. Sadly inactivity did kill it a bit. TBF I wasn't the most active during the first half.

As others said, I'd take the mafia kill away and not have the guaranteed-win subs.

I didn't actually realise that I was going to win regardless - I thought I had to survive till the end to win. So pretending to be silenced that one phase, using my role against believed mafia, trying to engage with people privately, etc was all wasted effort :p

More than a Dugtrio could dream of.

I don't think the nightkill should be taken away unless the scum attacks were much stronger.

Also apparently the Celebi role PM had a picture of a Shiny Celebi in it, and I just passed it off as normal for a while. Wow, being around SC and her avatar for too long has made me assume that said Celebi form is the regular one lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom