• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Global Link to shut down in February: Munna to be given away as a special thank you ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pokémon Global Link to shut down in February: Munna to be given away as a special thank you ...

After more than nine years, Pokémon Global Link is shutting down in late February 2020. But not without giving away a special Munna for (Ultra) Sun and Moon players as a special thank you gift for using the service.

Continue reading...

This is lliterally sad. i wanted to do a Wonderlocke soon, but that's done.

I thought it's just the Global Link functionality that's closing (e.g. Online Competitions, Global Missions) and not ALL online functions? Shouldn't Wonder Trade still be running? The Global Link services for XY closed when Sun and Moon were released in November 2016, but you can still Wonder Trade in X and Y...

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I thought it's just the Global Link functionality that's closing (e.g. Online Competitions, Global Missions) and not ALL online functions? Shouldn't Wonder Trade still be running? The Global Link services for XY closed when Sun and Moon were released in November 2016, but you can still Wonder Trade in X and Y...

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
You're right. Wonder Trade will still be active, as that only depended on the 3DS's online services, and would be usable until Nintendo decides to terminate all online capabilities for the Wii U and 3DS like they did for the Wii and the original DS.

We'll likely see the Nintendo Network active for a while. The Wi-Fi connection was shut down because the company they worked with for thise servers, GameSpy, was bought out and forced to drop Nintendo. If it wasn't for that, we likely could have seen it active for a few more years.

Regardless, I don't have feelings either way for this, as I barely used the Global Link service myself. Game Freak doesn't tend to support older games long anyway, so unless they were using Global Link for Sword and Shield, there's no reason to keep it up in their eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Search Bulbapedia

Back
Top Bottom